Sort of Volt Turn team

Hi! This is my sort of Volt Turn team. This is my first OU team which I rushed in 10 minutes. Regardless, it is pretty good winning 8 games in a row, and me being a novice pokebattler. I feel like it has the potential to be a very solid team, however I don't have much experience in making teams.

Scizor @ Choice Band

Adamant (+Atk | -SpA)
Technician
248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Pursuit
- U-turn

Generic choice band Scizor for my volt turn team, pretty much the heart of my team. Switch him in whenever to tank, then deal big damage. I rely heavily on this guy.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers

Bold (+Def | -Atk)
Levitate

252 HP / 216 Def / SpA 40
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
- Volt Switch

My defensive tank. Thinking of giving this guy more special attack investment since I'd like him to hit harder. I mostly use him as a pivot, then use my slow volt switch to bring in one of my pokemon for free. He also takes care of the ground types that need to be taken care of before Jolteon can start spamming thunders and volt switches. Thinking of giving him a -speed nature.

Mienshao @ Life Orb

Jolly (+Spe | -SpA)
Regenerator
252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

I love this guy. He is the highlight of my uu team, and I just had to use him in ou as well. I mostly use him for the fake out + u-turn combo, but his hjk's are very strong as well! Because of rotom-w's slow u-turns, this guy often gets to shoot out hjk's for free.

Politoed @ Leftovers

Calm (+SpD | -Atk)
Drizzle
248 HP / 28 SpA / 232 SpD
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Encore
- Toxic

My specially defensive tank. He also starts up rain for Jolteon and Sharpedo. Also, I hate having sun or sandstorm up. People tend to think they can set up on him, so encore stops that. I only wish this guy could learn u-turn or volt switch. Sort of a fill in pokemon, he is the weakest member of my team.

Jolteon @ Choice Specs

Timid (+Spe | -Atk)
Volt Absorb
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Thunder
- Hidden Power Ice
- Signal Beam
- Volt Switch

My second volt turn user. Very fast and makes very scary thunder when rain is up. Soaks up all of the electric attacks, which is very useful since half of my team are water types. A really good revenge killer, pretty solid member of the team.

Sharpedo @ Life Orb

Adamant (+Atk | -SpA)
Speed Boost
252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
- Protect
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Aqua Jet

The last member of my team, usually the last to come out too. After all of the pokemon that threaten him are dead or weakened, it's pretty much a free win. This guy is so good late game, it's scary.

That's it! Some stuff that this team is weak about is Breloom and sleep, and I've also gotten sweeped by Conkeldurr, which makes sense since none of my pokemon have any attacks super effective to fighting types. This team can be very scary, but I know that there are some holes in it that can be filled. Would very much like criticism and advice, don't hold back!

Hello there mate. Well, I have some suggestions for your team.

I see your team has trouble with dem fighting types and lacks an entry hazard, worry not, I bring a Pokémon who can reliably take Fighting types and has access to Stealth Rock. However, this comes at a price of removing a Pokémon, I recommend removing Jolteon though, as it has the most 'generic' role in the team and this can soak more than just Electric type attacks.

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 236 SDef / 252 HP / 20 Spd
Calm Nature
- Psychic
- Recover / Giga Drain
- Baton Pass / U-Turn
- Stealth Rock

Psychic and Stealth Rock is obligatory to reliably deal with Fighting types that trouble your team and to wear down the enemy team respectively. The next move is for continuing the VoltTurn, the choice between Baton Pass and U-Turn is safety vs chip damage, don't be too pressured picking between the two though as they play similarly. Lastly, Recover helps Celebi stick longer but you might want Giga Drain as your team has no solid way of defeating Gastrodon and it can recover HP in a pinch too.

The spread gives Celebi great Special bulk and good overall bulk which is capable of taking many hits like Water and Electric type attacks in the Special side and Fighting and Ground type attacks in the Physical side. Speed to outspeed max base 60 speed but they're not that common anyway, if the even rarer max base 65 speed are a concern(such as Gothitelle) you need at least 64 Spd. Don't discount them as a threat even they're not common, they can mess Celebi pretty well.

Second, I recommend HP Ice over Fake Out on Mienshao to nail Landorus-T and Gliscor and maybe some Dragons too.

For the EV Spread I recommend 252 Atk / 24 SpA / 232 Spd with Naive Nature
The spread might seem weird but Mienshao is sitting at a pretty much unique speed tier, so why not just dump it somewhere else?

Thanks a bunch for the advice! Will definitely try out Celebi. Fake out has gotten me out of many tight situations, but I'll try HP ice as well. Sucks that my team can't abuse rain as much as before though

Last edited:
Fake Out is no means a bad move though, but the coverage of HP Ice is good(esp. to those Ground/Flying types), so feel free to switch it around and see what works better. I would probably suggest more but I don't have time anymore to make long posts, sorry. ;.;

Just remeber that rain support is very helpful for Sharpedo's sweep.

That's no problem, you've already been loads of help!

I've had HP Ice on mienshao for a while now, and it works really well! People don't expect it. It's hard to use against dragon types though, something like dragonite can tank it and ohko back.
I have lots of problems with fast pokemon though. Sometimes I wish mienshao had a choice scarf since fast guys like terrakion can easily beat my team, especially if they get behind a substitute

Also, pokemon that set up destroy me. Politoed goes in to encore their dragonite's dragon dance, but just sweeps my entire team with one boost.

Last edited:
If anyone is still interested, I swapped in a choice scarf and reckless for mienshao. Way better, don't know why I didn't do this earlier.

Feels good to 2hko latias after she switches in to tank the hjk

Last edited:
Celebi is great, I really did need someone to set up stealth rocks. Celebi tanks hits like it's nothing, and it's so nice having someone that can soak up status

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey there, cool team!

VoltTurn is a pretty great strategy for beginners to use in order to get a handle of the metagame, and this is a nice team that you've got. Unfortunately, there are some pretty glaring weaknesses that you absolutely need to cover if you want your team to be able to stand up against powerhouse Sun and Sand threats. Grass-types, as they are for most Rain teams, are extremely problematic for your team to handle. You may think that U-Turn handles them easily, but in reality, it doesn't, because out of the 4 most common Grass-types in OU (Celebi, Breloom, Venusaur, Ferrothorn) U-Turn only hits one of them super effectively and enough to keep them at bay. Your Grass-type weakness also evolves into something a lot more worrying in the form of Sun Offense. As you noted, 3 of the Pokemon on your team are weak to Grass, and only Scizor, who is obliterated by Fire-type coverage attacks that Sun teams always carry, is able to come in against threats such as Life Orb Venusaur.

I definitely feel as if Sharpedo is a really really weak link in your team. Although it has the capability of becoming fast and dangerous, the amount of things it can sweep is uncomfortably low compared to other setup sweepers, which your team would greatly prefer. Sharpedo is fast, but it's quite weak, and is totally walled to death by most Grass-types, which your team is already weak to. You need something that can setup and sweep as well as beat Sun. I recommend you try DD Dragonite.

Dragonite @ Leftovers
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe, Adamant
Dragon Dance / Outrage / ExtremeSpeed / Fire Punch

While it may seem crazy to run a Fire Punch Pokemon on a Rain team, Dragonite does accomplish quite a few beneficial things for your team. A x4 resistance to Grass and a x2 resistance to Fire are what immediately come to mind, giving you a great offensive asset against any and all Sun teams. Dragonite also has great synergy with the rest of your team, as Rotom-W can easily come in and grab momentum against Mamoswine and Landorus-T, whom Dragonite tends to bait in, and Scizor and Politoed can come in against a predicted ScarfTerrakion switch, which is another thing Dragonite lures in often. Dragon Dance and the ability to set up using its great bulk is awesome as well, giving you a great late game sweeper that can power through a lot more things than Sharpedo can. Outrage powers through weakened teams, and fits your team perfectly, as Rotom-W, Scizor, and Mienshao have no trouble powering through Steel-types such as Skarmory and Heatran. Finally, ExtremeSpeed is great priority, helping Dragonite chip off that last bit from a weakened opposing sweeper.

I also really like Qualna's suggestion of Celebi over Jolteon. Celebi is great against CM + HP Fire Latias, whom Scizor can't trap and Rotom-W can't touch. Celebi is a great dry passer, and will help against opposing Keldeo / Terrakion / Breloom, who do pose a threat to this team, even with Dragonite on board. Celebi's Stealth Rock will also help loads against Sun teams, so it's a great suggestion.

In terms of spreads in general, you're probably better off making Politoed physically bulky and Rotom-W specially bulky, with spreads of 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA Bold and 248 HP / 28 SpA / 232 SpDef Calm. Rotom-W has access to Wil-O-Wisp, which helps it already handle physical attackers, and in general is more adept to deal with Special Attackers. Politoed, on the other hand, has Scald and needs to be able to beat Tyranitar and Dugtrio trapping anyways, and needs the physical bulk.

Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestions! There are a bunch of pokemon that sharpedo can't sweep, but a rain boosted waterfall can get through these pokemon if they are a bit weakened. Sharpedo can usually take out at least 2 pokemon if I switch him in at a good time. Also, I don't really see a reason to use politoed if sharpedo is replaced. I don't rely on rotom-w and polioed's water attacks much, so I don't think I get enough advantages from rain.

I really like your dragonite suggestion though, he easily takes care of some threats that I have a bit of trouble with. I'll also try the different rotom-w evs, they sound better than what I have now

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)