XY RU Smoke and Monsters

Hi I've dabbled in several tiers but RU has captivated me the most thus far. This team was made in the very early days of the tier so a few team mates have either risen or fallen in usage, which is what I currently need assistance with figuring out the weak points. I got to 1400 with this team on an alt, just messing around. Now that I've come back to seriously play again I think an RMT is needed to address the new threats of the tier.

Below are a few replays, I chose to save and post ones where I lose so I can get some help as to why the team didn't work or that I haven't had much practice in the new meta game (both are very plausible).

Verdent (Virizion) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
One of the best grass types in the tier, I knew bulky waters and Rhyperior would be an issue so I picked this gal to take care of them for me. A pretty standard set with the EV's set up for max offensive power and the Lum Berry is there to catch any stray WoW's and T-Waves thrown at me. Leaf Blade and Close Combat are good strong stabs that threaten a lot of the tier. As for my coverage move I chose Stone Edge as bar a scarf or speed boosted, Virizion can act as an emergency check if I can predict a switch or Virizion comes in safely. I am pleased with how it has been working in the team thus far and can pull out a clutch win for me every so often.

Pinchy (Gligar) @ Eviolite
Ability: Immunity
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Roost
After taking some advice from Molk and Arikado I now run Earthquake over Toxic to give some offensive presence to Gligar and serve as a check to the other muskadeer running around in the tier and pick off the weakened Doublade on occasion. The main goal of Gligar is to set up rocks and cause some trouble knocking off items which it can easily do both thanks to the Eviolite. Roost is there for recovery on the occasion I need it but by the time I get around to using it Gligar has outlived its usefulness. I have been playing around with Defog as an option but the only one team member is weak to rocks so I forgo it for the time being. I am pretty happy with how he functions so I will not be removing him for the time being.

Slow (Slowking) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Flamethrower
- Dragon Tail
I added him to act as a check to fire types and just a wall in general thanks to Assault Vest. I've gone with a more defensive build as it's helpful for the mini-fire bird that is very common in the tier. Scald and Psyshock are there for stab and what I use most. Flamethrower is for the occasional steel and Dragon Tail I use for phasing purposes especially as a lot of pokemon try to set up on him. He is the least used member of my team for some reason or another. I'm not sure if he just doesn't fit in this team, I'm a crap battler (which is possible) or I just haven't ran into anything I need him for yet.

Fluffy (Aromatisse) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Aroma Veil
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Aromatherapy
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect
My Cleric for the team and general check to fighting types. Moveset is pretty standard Cleric set, clear status, wishes, protect to heal itself and Moonblast to hit hard and not be Taunt fodder. Leftovers allows her to regain her own health and stall out certain pokemon. I use her pretty often and I feel is a good asset to the team but I'm open to trying out something else like Alomomola but that would compound some weaknesses.

Sharp (Doublade) (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Atk / 56 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Claw
- Iron Head
- Shadow Sneak
- Swords Dance
I use him as a general check to Psychic types and as a good bulky attacker. I was using a Gyro Ball orientated set but this physical one Molk suggested works much better for me. The moves are pretty standard stab fare and Swords Dance being surprisingly easy to set up but Doublade can work as a revenge killer if I can't afford to set it up. I can't forsee replacing him as I like what he offers the team and provides offensive pressure as a lot of pokemon don't want to get hit by this thing.

Delphi (Delphox) (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Flamethrower
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball/Grass Knot
I was aware that fire was a good attacking type in the tier and originally had Typhosion in this slot. I then decided to change to Delphox after reading some sets for it and find that she fits the team much better. I opted for a Calm Mind set which I don't always set up so the Life Orb is useful for instant power when I need it. The last slot I was not sure of, Grass Knot is nice for a surprise on some of the heavier pokemon in the tier but Shadow Ball is also nice for opposing Delphox. I am still not sure with what to do with the last slot or if to even keep Delphox. I am generally pleased with her preformance but I already have 2 other mons weak to Dark/Ghost and she adds a 3rd.

I am open to all criticisms, I've been out of battling for a bit so any good ideas I will happily take.​

Last edited:

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Instead of using Typhlosion use 1 of LO Moltres or specs delphox, or CM LO delphox.

Use defog/roost/knock off/eq on gligar

Im on my phone so i'll come back with a better rate later and explain my changes n_n

Instead of using Typhlosion use 1 of LO Moltres or specs delphox, or CM LO delphox.

Use defog/roost/knock off/eq on gligar

Im on my phone so i'll come back with a better rate later and explain my changes n_n
Those sound good already, I was kinda leaning towards moltres too. I will do more research and will be eager to see your more detailed rate.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
hey dude, this isn't a bad team, but there are definitely some ways to make it better.

First off, i definitely agree with Arikado that Typhlosion is completely outclassed in the current metagame and that you should try out offensive Calm Mind Delphox or Life Orb Moltres. I'd personally prefer Delphox over Moltres at the moment just because fitting Defog/Rapid Spin onto your current team seems quite annoying (running both SR and Defog on Gligar is a massive no no for future reference, the four moveslot syndrome is a big problem, and Stealth Rock is quite important in RU or really any metagame).

As for Gligar, i'd definitely run Earthquake over Toxic. Giving up a STAB move is very rarely worth it, and giving up Earthquake on Gligar makes you pretty vulnerable to Drapion in particular. Also, the combination of Knock Off and Earthquake allows your Gligar to handily beat Doublade: a top tier RU threat that doesn't take nearly enough damage from Knock Off alone and gives your team problems otherwise. Also, Roost is very important on Gligar, i definitely wouldn't remove it.

Aromatisse should definitely be running Protect in the last moveslot, getting the extra Leftovers recovery and free turn to recieve your own Wish from using Protect is absolutely invaluable, and there's really no reason not to use it on your current set.

I'd most likely change your Doublade to a Swords Dance varient consisting of Swords Dance, Iron Head, Shadow Claw, and Shadow Sneak. Swords Dance Doublade is a really threatening sweeper in the RU meta, and it gets quite a few chances to set up and sweep late game thanks to its ridiculous physical bulk and great typing, especially with Aromatisse's Wish support. Imo it should perform much better than your current set on this team.

As for removing Sacred Sword and switching Gyro Ball for Iron Head: Sacred Sword doesn't really do much in RU, Ghost/Steel has pretty much perfect neutral coverage in RU, and everything Sacred Sword would be used to hit is either frail, incredibly uncommon, set up on regardless, or some combination of the three. The only exception here is Heliolisk, who's handled by the rest of your team quite handily anyway (and it's frail).

For Iron Head, the reason why i suggested replacing Gyro Ball is because Swords Dance Doublade usually runs some Speed investment to outpace minimum Speed Rhyperior for a shot at beating it, something Gyro Ball Doublade has no shot at ever doing. Also, Doublade wants enough Speed to outrun RU's various base 30s at the moment, including Slowking, Amoonguss, Reuniclus, and Aromatisse, another thing it sorely misses out on if it runs 0 Speed Brave with Gyro Ball.

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Atk / 56 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Shadow Claw
- Shadow Sneak

Lastly, i'd run Dragon Tail over Ice Beam on Slowking. Honestly, what's Ice Beam even hitting? You have many other methods of getting past Druddigon on your current team regardless and that's really the only target i can think of that one of Slowking's other coverage moves doesn't hit harder. Meanwhile, Dragon Tail lets Slowking phaze out a few pesky set up sweepers, most notably Calm Mind Reuniclus and Calm Mind Slowking, and racks up some residual damage if Stealth Rock is up too. You could also consider moving all of those Defense EVs to Special Attack and running a Modest Nature on Slowking, but they help out a bit against Fletchinder so you'll have to weigh how comfortable you are against the fire bird before you do that.

Hope i helped!

Thank you Molk, as I said I haven't played in a while but I've noted some of my difficulties and the suggestions I've received I think will hit the nail on the head.

I've updated my sets along with replays, some fresh eyes are appreciated to help further refine this team.

Hey man, nice team! Funnily enough, it is very similar to a team I just came up with, and it looks really solid.

If you haven't done this already, I suggest prioritizing grass knot over shadow ball on delphox, as grass knot gives you great coverage on things like alomomola and rhyperior, which shadow ball can't really touch. Slowking handles opposing delphox quite well already, and grass knot will give you a greater edge against bulky teams, which you definitely need.

The only other suggestion I might give is running a wallbreaker slot, as you already have three set up sweepers and having something that can hit really hard immediately is nice, and also is great for breaking stall. Perhaps you could try running specs delphox with modest nature, replacing calm mind with overheat. I've used this set with great success, as it outspeeds a surprising number of mons and is walled really only by av slowking.

Anyways, good luck with the team. It looks pretty great!

Hey man, nice team! Funnily enough, it is very similar to a team I just came up with, and it looks really solid.

If you haven't done this already, I suggest prioritizing grass knot over shadow ball on delphox, as grass knot gives you great coverage on things like alomomola and rhyperior, which shadow ball can't really touch. Slowking handles opposing delphox quite well already, and grass knot will give you a greater edge against bulky teams, which you definitely need.

The only other suggestion I might give is running a wallbreaker slot, as you already have three set up sweepers and having something that can hit really hard immediately is nice, and also is great for breaking stall. Perhaps you could try running specs delphox with modest nature, replacing calm mind with overheat. I've used this set with great success, as it outspeeds a surprising number of mons and is walled really only by av slowking.

Anyways, good luck with the team. It looks pretty great!
I had Grass Knot for some time but I figured I'd try Shadow Ball for some variety which after I posted my losing replays I went back to Grass Knot. I was also thinking about that change after I realized that I used 3 boosting moves on 3 different pokemon, so spec-fox might be just what I need Being walled by stuff like substitute Whimsicott and stally teams in general seem to irritate me so something with raw power would be ideal. I'm trying to think what else would I use for that 4th slot (as Grass Knot would replace Calm Mind), I might just keep shadow ball on there until I can figure out a different option.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)