Smogon Simple Questions & Suggestions Thread

Hello

Whenever I've tried to log on to showdown it would show this screen, and despite having stable internet connection everything I do won't fix it. I also tried to change my name and even that didn't work, and i've also tried logging out but it wouldn't let me access settings. Does anyone know how to fix?
1700562101442.png

HoeenHero

The Misspelled Hero!
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin

senorlopez

Formerly Ricardo [old]
Hi,

Apologies for asking a question that's probably documented somewhere but I would appreciate if someone could walk me through (or point me towards the documentation for) exactly what each of these numbers represent for checks and counters for certain mons:

1700762891623.png

Hi,

Apologies for asking a question that's probably documented somewhere but I would appreciate if someone could walk me through (or point me towards the documentation for) exactly what each of these numbers represent for checks and counters for certain mons:

View attachment 573567
I am not 100% sure, but i believe it's as follows

You're viewing a mon's checks and counters, basically what users on showdown use to check/counter something (in this case i'll assume it's kingambit).
In the instance of zamazenta coming in on kingambit, 25.6% of the time the kingambit got KO'd (died) and 49.4% of the time kingambit switched out. Add those two numbers and you get 75%. What comes after the +- is the margin of error, basically the deviation from the number that comes before it that the real value could have (both above and below)

I've read through a lot of stuff and can't find it, how do you get the little images of Pokemon in your posts that people use in RMTs or for Viability rankings and such?
1700921153333.png
like these little guys (I just copy and pasted it but don't know how to actually find it)

senorlopez

Formerly Ricardo [old]
I am not 100% sure, but i believe it's as follows

You're viewing a mon's checks and counters, basically what users on showdown use to check/counter something (in this case i'll assume it's kingambit).
In the instance of zamazenta coming in on kingambit, 25.6% of the time the kingambit got KO'd (died) and 49.4% of the time kingambit switched out. Add those two numbers and you get 75%. What comes after the +- is the margin of error, basically the deviation from the number that comes before it that the real value could have (both above and below)
Hey, I appreciate the response! Any idea on what the number next to the name but outside of the parenthesis represents?

hi there, can someone direct me to the commands thread for making text posts? i found one for basic stuff under help that only really covered whats in the existing control bar? I'm after the commands for sprites and differing gens etc. thankyou

Kalalokki

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sprite Leader
hi there, can someone direct me to the commands thread for making text posts? i found one for basic stuff under help that only really covered whats in the existing control bar? I'm after the commands for sprites and differing gens etc. thankyou
Don't think we have a command thread really, since sprites are really the only thing we run that is custom and not in the tool bar:
An easier way to add Pokemon sprites and minisprites to posts was added, which hopefully should make life easier for you guys when posting RMTs and VR threads and the like.

For example, :bulbasaur: adds Bulbasaur's minisprite to your post: :bulbasaur:

whereas prefixing it with a generation's two-letter code adds that generation's full-size sprite / 3D model. E.g. :dp/bulbasaur: inserts Bulbasaur's DPP sprite, and :sm/bulbasaur: adds its SM model.

:dp/bulbasaur: :sm/bulbasaur:

Further tweaks / optimisations may be made to this feature, but it's currently functional enough for you all to use, so hf with it.

uppa

did i play well ?
is a Top Artist
This reminds me. :bw/garchomp: brings up its gen 5 animation and :sm/lurantis: embeds its gen 7 model, and it makes sense cause those are assets that exist for those gens' styles, obvs. However, :sm/dragapult: also embeds its model, despite not existing in that gen and the render is from one of smogon's projects. Would it not make sense to extend this logic back to sprites, allowing stuff like :bw/dragapult: to embed its fanmade gen 5 animation? I understand this sounds self-serving coming from me, I'm just pointing out the inconsistency. Lmk if this is something that should be brought up in another thread, the context just seemed opportune.

:bw/garchomp: :sm/lurantis: :bw/dragapult: :sm/dragapult:

Piggy-backing off of this as well to mention this inconsistency:

Using Fire or Water instead of Blaze and Aqua displays the old sprites instead of the "new" pixel art sprites.
Code:
:tauros paldea aqua: - :tauros paldea water: - :tauros paldea blaze: - :tauros paldea fire:
:tauros paldea aqua: - :tauros paldea water: - :tauros paldea blaze: - :tauros paldea fire:

And for the big sprites Fire and Water don't do anything:
Code:
:sv/tauros paldea aqua: - :sv/tauros paldea water: - :sv/tauros paldea blaze: - :sv/tauros paldea fire:
:sv/tauros paldea aqua: - :sv/tauros paldea water: - :sv/tauros paldea blaze: - :sv/tauros paldea fire:

Kalalokki

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sprite Leader
This reminds me. :bw/garchomp: brings up its gen 5 animation and :sm/lurantis: embeds its gen 7 model, and it makes sense cause those are assets that exist for those gens' styles, obvs. However, :sm/dragapult: also embeds its model, despite not existing in that gen and the render is from one of smogon's projects. Would it not make sense to extend this logic back to sprites, allowing stuff like :bw/dragapult: to embed its fanmade gen 5 animation? I understand this sounds self-serving coming from me, I'm just pointing out the inconsistency. Lmk if this is something that should be brought up in another thread, the context just seemed opportune.

:bw/garchomp: :sm/lurantis: :bw/dragapult: :sm/dragapult:
I don't think Smogon's sprite repo has anything from the Smogon Sprite Project, these are mainly to be used on the dex, tho the Dragapult render used for the dex has since been updated on PS anyway. I believe there's work to merge Smogon's and PS's to use the same base, but I don't know what the progress is on that atm.
Piggy-backing off of this as well to mention this inconsistency:

Using Fire or Water instead of Blaze and Aqua displays the old sprites instead of the "new" pixel art sprites.
Code:

And for the big sprites Fire and Water don't do anything:
Code:
Likely just a repercussion of confusion on what form names we should go by on Smogon, with the solution being either removing the naming convention we don't use or make both lead to the same sprites.

Tagging chaos for both of these.

so i understand showdown servers r down rn so we cannot upload the replay so i just went ahead and downloaded two replays. it is in html format and i just wanna know how i can make it to where people can watch it without sending the file on discord because if i send it on discord it just sends as a bunch of text.

so i understand showdown servers r down rn so we cannot upload the replay so i just went ahead and downloaded two replays. it is in html format and i just wanna know how i can make it to where people can watch it without sending the file on discord because if i send it on discord it just sends as a bunch of text.
You'll have to send them the .html file, and the users have to open said file with their browser. It will show up as the same replay window they'd get if they opened the replay link.

You'll have to send them the .html file, and the users have to open said file with their browser. It will show up as the same replay window they'd get if they opened the replay link.
ok thanks for this, do you know why when we send it thru discord it shows up as just a wall of text?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 12)