Smogon Fantasy Football: 2013-2014 Season

long time no see those of you who remember me (2nd place finish in Group B 2011 season)

i see most of the leagues are already full but you can add me to Newcomers for a potential Group D

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
League B commish - draft time says 8am Sunday - which while painful would probably be doable on my part. However, I can never tell whether yahoo automatically converts it to Australian Eastern Standard time or leaves it in american time so was wondering if someone from the league/the commish could tell me what time the draft is!

Guys, we have a group message for a reason. Any further concerns, please post there. I set it for 6 PM EST on the 31st, so if anyone has any problems post in our group message

Just finished my first draft of the year. It was the auction keeper league, 6 point passing TDs, 1 PPR, $200 budget.

Here's the three keepers I ended up with:

Alfred Morris - $10
Danny Amendola - $6
Vincent Jackson - $20

And the entire team:

QB: Tom Brady ($30)
RB: Alfred Morris ($10)
RB: Chris Johnson ($40)
WR: Vincent Jackson ($20)
WR: Larry Fitzgerald ($42)
Flex: Danny Amendola ($6)
TE: Vernon Davis ($9)
K: Phil Dawson ($1)
DST: Steelers ($1)

Bench:
RB: Ahmad Bradshaw ($16)
RB: Danny Woodhead ($7)
RB: Fred Jackson ($4)
WR: James Jones ($9)
WR: Miles Austin ($5)

I lagged out of the room for all of 30 seconds, and the computer decides to get in a bidding war with Fitzgerald. I'd have been much, MUCH happier with Roddy White ($29), Andre Johnson ($34), or Marques Colston ($25)... but oh well. I feel like I got enough value and depth in the rest of the draft that it won't affect my team too much. I hope to trade him for a WR of similar value if he succeeds early in the season, because some of the other guys seem to have more trust in Palmer's arm and Arizona's line than I do.

Thoughts? I think I have the 2nd best starting lineup in the league, behind the guy who kept Martin/Marshall/Witten and drafted Rodgers/Sproles/Miller/Jennings, but he has Mendenhall and a bunch of scrubs on his bench while I think I found pretty good value. Hoping this team can get me pretty far this year, there were some really bad teams in the draft and a lot of leftover money.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
well i'm not very good at this, and he seemed like the best QB on the table at the time (Rodgers/Brees/Brady/Manning/Manning/Newton/RGIII were all gone).

i took Kaep over Luck because i figured he'll put up more running numbers.

where would you grade him?
Ryan straight-up, Romo straight-up and at least five more in the same area with differing levels of risk / reliability. More importantly, there are only three dudes left looking to pick up a starting QB (one of which is you). You should be grabbing more RB depth and second-tier WRs before they're gone rather than showing up late to the QB run. Your QB is still going to be there in Round 8.

also who filled out Synre's spot in League A I can't tell man

Ryan straight-up, Romo straight-up and at least five more in the same area with differing levels of risk / reliability. More importantly, there are only three dudes left looking to pick up a starting QB (one of which is you). You should be grabbing more RB depth and second-tier WRs before they're gone rather than showing up late to the QB run. Your QB is still going to be there in Round 8.

also who filled out Synre's spot in League A I can't tell man
Ryan was also gone, and i did get Romo in round 9.

i have decent depth at WR, but i see what you mean.

Why did you spend $40 on CJ0K?

ray rice career rushing stats

chris johnson career stats

CJ > rice in rushing, rice > cj in receiving, it depends on if your ppr is 1 or .5 but id spend mucha monay on CJ"atleast1"K

even if you buy into the myth that greene is gonna be the gl back (which barnwell proved he was actually inefficient there), remember that rice is even more of a risk, splitting more carries with pierce.

Last edited:
yeah pretty much

he's never had under 1400 combined yards, never had under 35 catches in a season, never missed a game, is not exceedingly touchdown dependent, and got upgrades along the O-Line. he's inconsistent, but always a top 10 or almost a top 10 RB. if he matches his average over the past three years in all the categories, he'll be a top 10 RB again; and I'm gambling that he'll be even better!

plus the other thing is that it's a keeper league, thus RB prices are all inflated (as most of us have 1 cheap RB from last year, and thus more money to spend on another this year). here's how the top guys went in the draft:

Foster - $56
Rice - $58
Forte - $50
Sproles - $44
MJD - $40
CJ - $40
Jackson - $39
Bush - $38

I think CJ will end up 4th on that list, and I'd gladly spend $40 every time for him (or Forte, the guy I really wanted, but the bidding got a little too high for him)

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I know his stats at year's end, what bothers me is his massive inconsistency from game to game. He'll half ass the first half of the season, then try just hard enough to get his yardage to get paid. Those stats make him look better than he is, but because he'll rush for 18 yards one game and then 170 the next. Ray Rice has slightly lower rushing numbers because his OC has been retarded with how he used him, not because he wasn't trying hard. I still would never take CJ even if he was at a bargain price. Just been burned too many times.

I had CJ the past two years (at least one was auto-draft so don't judge) and he lost me more games than he won...which is awful when a player is so inconsistent.

But there is a chance he improves this season so who knows

There's question marks about everyone on that list. I'm OK with gambling on CJ's consistency as opposed to Jackson's age or Forte/Bush's injury histories.

I don't necessarily feel fantastic about it compared to some of the other backs, but I think he was a good value at $40 given the price of the other top RBs in that league. In a normal auction league, he'll lose some of his value as there will be a lot more options available, so I doubt he'd go for 40+ in any of the smogon leagues or something.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
I just noticed Rodgers is #20 on Yahoo's big board compared to Brees' #22, yet in the QB-only rankings Brees is #1 and Rodgers is #2.

makes sense obviously

phoopes

I did it again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
All right so I was busy being hooked on a thing called Dangan Ronpa so I missed League C's draft. Oops. So I got autodrafted a team that I'm okay with in most parts, but not in one. Help, I need a receiving corps.

League C:

I don't need two starting QBs on roster. I'll give you Kaepernick for a stud WR or two good WRs (assuming one for two trades can be made, I forget).

Yup, i'm a goddam beast at FF. my damn computer started acting stupid so i was for like 3 minutes on the D draft. Went on to my money draft and came back to D with 9 dollars left. I just added all the players people would let me keep at 1 to build depth with 9 dollars to the auto draft thingy. And it worked beautifully. The only fail was getting stuck with Giants DEF. Otherwise my team is extremely solid with amazing starters and good depth.

I wrecked draft C too.

My money league went perfectly:

J Charles
Megatron(in DAH SECOND FUCKING ROUND; i picked 5th, 10 people)
David Wilson
R Wayne
R Bush
Lamar Miller
Eric Decker
Jared Cook
Tony Romo
Miami Def
Josh Brown
Kendell Wright
Michael Floyd
B Pierce
V Vallard
Lance Moore

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)