Smogon Chess Tournament - connoisseur wins!

semifinals

it's become clear that i'm going to be too busy over the course of the next week to keep up my game with eo, so i'm advancing him in the tournament. eo - i'd still like to finish our game when we get the chance! :toast:

as such, we move on to the semi-finals.

Code:
Crabnebula   vs  connoisseur
Eo Ut Mortus vs  wtansley
good luck players.

Yeah, on move 10 I think c5 was necessary or on move 9 Ne7. Good game though, I didn't think you played all that badly.

edit: here is the game url: http://www.redhotpawn.com/gameanalysis/boardhistory.php?gameid=7631602
My analysis of the game ...

1. e4 e5
2. Nf3 Nc6
3. Bc4 Bc5

Defines opening as Guicco Piano.

4. c3

This pawn move isn't very popular, as far as I know, because Black's next move causes White quite a bit of trouble.

4. ... Nf6
5. d3

So White has played c3, and yet cannot execute d4 at once. 5. d4 is a well-analyzed line leading to an equal position, which is I believe one of the reasons why 4. c3 isn't very popular.

5. ... h6?

This move is a waste of time. There are other more relevant things at this point, such as castling, ...d6 and developing the queen's bishop. If White goes in for Bg5 after Black castles, then Black can play ...h6 to win a tempo. If White initiates Ng5 and then Nxf7, then Black would've traded pawn and Rook for two minor pieces, which is in general a good trade for the guy getting two minor pieces. Black could also have played ...d5, gaining an active position after exd5 Nxd5.

6. O-O O-O
7. d4

So White plays d4, even though he's currently behind in development. This line has probably been played before but I don't have access to chess databases so ... anyway the main reason Black gets a fine position after 5. d4 is because he can play 6. ... Bb4+, which is no longer possible. Here if Black had played 5. ...d6, he would have the option of playing 7. ...Bb6 but as it is retreating the Bishop loses the pawn on e5, so ...

7. ...exd4 (forced)
8. cxd4 Bb6

White has a powerful pair of central pawns, threatening both e5 and d5, blowing Black's knights off the board.

9. d5

This forces Black's knight to step back.

9. ...Na5?!

This is dangerous posting for the Knight. Ne7 is terrible for Black too after 10. e5 or the simple 10. Nc3. White has won the battle for central control and has a superior position.

10. Bd3

White threatens b4 to trap Black's Knight. White could also play Qe2, developing and consolidating his position.

10. ...Qe7?

Black misses the threat. Off the top of my head the only way to prevent immediate material loss is 10. ...c5, but then 11. dxc6 e.p. leaves Black in a quandary however he recaptures. ... Nxc6 leaves the d-pawn isolated and weak, ... dxc6 loses the Knight to 12. b4 and ... bxc6 leaves Black all tangled up after 12. b4 Nb7.

11. b4

Black clearly can't play 11. ...Qxb4?? because 12. Ba3! traps the Queen.

11. ...Nxe4

Black has to go for complications. This move threatens ...Qf6 to trap White's queen's Rook.

12. bxa5

White foresees the upcoming tactical sequence and determines it's in his favour.

12. ...Nxf2
13. Rxf2 Bxf2+
13. Kxf2 Qf6 (trapping the Rook)
14. Qb3! Re8

No choice. After 14. ...Qxa1? 15. Bb2 traps the queen.

15. Bb2

The Rook is saved anyway.

15. ...Qf4
16. Bc2?!

Ahead by piece for two pawns, White only needs to trade pieces to win. I don't get the point of this move, although aside from time it doesn't lose anything either. I would personally prefer to develop the queen's Knight: Nc3 or Nd2.

16. ...d6
17. Qc3!

White threatens the pawn on c7 and mate on g7.

17. ...Re5??

Walking into a pin is not generally a good idea. The Rook does nothing except look pretty on e5, and becomes a major tactical target.

18. Nd2

The simple Qxc7 threatens Qd8#, and if Black plays a move like ...Bg4 White can simply play Bxe5 to snap off the Rook. Black would have to play ...Re8, undoing his 17th move, and White picks off a pawn for nothing. Still with a material advantage White can simply develop his position and claim a win.

18. ...Bg4
19. Re1!

The pinned Rook on e5 is under heavy pressure, and this move threatens to trade pieces as well.

19. ...f6

If Black had played this on the 17th move, he would've defended against the checkmate. He had to play this anyway, making 17. ...Re5 a waste. Though strictly speaking this move leads to Black losing next move, his options at this point are limited. Because of the material advantage, White can generate more and more threats.

20. g3!
1-0

Black's queen is trapped. White could've locked up a more mundane win after 20. Rxe5 d/fxe5 21. Qxc7, too. gg!

Well played connoisseur, it's a good win, and congratulations on winning the tournament!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)