Small Rain Team

Some time back I was playing rain dance teams a lot. It was really fun and effective but then someone perfected the team and I lost interest.

However there was still one idea I had that could make rain dance teams different. Instead of the standard three swift swimmers rain dance sweep dream team with your favorite picks of 3 suicide dancers / defensive dancers, I could try something else...just one suicide rain dancer and one swift swim sweeper.

I played my team against a friend and it crushed him. Then he started to get kind of ridiculous though. He made a team specifically tailored to countering my team. Of course he didn't do the greatest job but what he did was annoying...Electrode to explode right away on my Azelf, Tyranitar to destroy my rain, and other annoyances. Even so the furious offense my team packed put him on a hard defensive and I think he only beat me once barely.

And here is the team...

Synopsis: Azelf suicides, Kingdra sweeps. If Kingdra dies to a bulky water, out comes Empoleon. If Kingdra dies to a Blissey, out comes Lucario. Anything else look for opportunities to set up a sweep. Rotom-W and Scizor for solidity and go-betweens.

Azelf @ Damp Rock
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP/4 Atk/252 Spd
Naive nature (+Spd, -SpD)
- Stealth Rock
- Explosion
- Rain Dance
- Psychic
---
Azelf is the best rain dance lead in OU, so why not use him for a small rain team? The key to Azelf's success is the fact that people don't know you're running rain dance until you use the move. Damp rock allows rain to last for 8 turns which is very helpful. 252 HP EVs for more bulk. My #1 priority is rain dance, #2 priority is stealth rock, and last priority is explosion. Stealth rock helps me sweep and is usually valued over destroying a single pokemon. For my last slot I had maybe three other choices. Fire blast is one choice but there is virtually no scenario where fire blast would be useful on Azelf because of rain dance. His goal is to set stuff up and suicide ASAP. Anything fire blast would OHKO will run away anyways, and otherwise I'll risk my set-up. Taunt is another option, but my team isn't too worried about stealth rock. The main use of taunt would be against leads that put me to sleep like Smeargle and Roserade. Most other things just assume I'm going to taunt anyways. Another option is u-turn...but I really don't have much of a core team so I want to get my rain sweep going ASAP. Psychic is the most straight forward and effective choice...to punish ghost pokemon that expect explosion so I can do a bit of damage to them before I die. It's especially nice against Gengar whenever he shows his mug.

Problem leads:
Azelf - Speed tie taunt
Electrode - Taunt
Aerodactyl - Taunt
Crobat - Hypnosis

Against a problem lead I just switch to Rotom-W or Scizor and look for an opportunity to get Azelf back in.
---

Kingdra (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Surf
- Hydro Pump
- Dragon Pulse
- Signal Beam
---
I send this thing out ASAP. He's the most destructive swift swimmer in the entire game. The main weakness Kingdra has is against Blissey. If my opponent sends out a Blissey then I have no choice but to surf/hydro pump it hoping for a critical hit. Surf is my main sweeping move, and gets a 2.25x boost from STAB / rain, on top of life orb. Hydro pump gets OHKOs on some pokemon that surf doesn't. Dragon pulse is my other STAB and takes care of dragon types as well as types that resist surf. Signal beam is for Celebi and anything else 4x weak to bug. The only other attack move this set could benefit from is hidden power electric for Gyarados. Modest nature for more power, rest into speed and special attack.

Kingdra is countered by bulky water pokemon and Blissey for the most part. Keep in mind most pokemon that can't be OHKOed by Kingdra can't OHKO Kingdra either.
---

Empoleon (M) @ Petaya Berry
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 24 Def/232 Spd/252 SAtk
Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Agility
- Substitute
- Surf
- Grass Knot
---
Empoleon comes in on bulky water pokemon that Kingdra doesn't manage to kill. Grass knot over ice beam because this thing intends to kill bulky pokemon. Very standard Empoleon but very powerful. Very easy to set-up against a large amount of pokemon, and then quite difficult to stop. Blissey counters this set.
---

Lucario (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Extremespeed
- Crunch
---
If Blissey kills my Kingdra then Lucario is my go-to pokemon. I'll launch a close combat at Blissey or swords dance, depending on the situation. Blissey will most likely run away so even if it has t-wave swords dance isn't a bad choice. Crunch is here because otherwise Rotom-A will make me very sad.

Between Empoleon and Lucario I'm nearly guaranteed to keep the pressure on after Kingdra blows his hole in the opposing team.
---

Rotom-w @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP/168 Def/88 Spd
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Will-o-wisp
- Shadow Ball
- Hydro Pump
---
Rotom-A and Scizor are the OU metagame countering utilities, and they go excellent together. When I need to make a team have some backbone and only have two pokemon to choose, I can think no further. Rotom-W counters Tyranitar and in general just performs its job of countering numerous pokemon and switching in on numerous attack types. Will-o-wisp is often launched randomly in hopes of catching a Tyranitar, Scizor, or some other unsuspecting physical pokemon. Thunderbolt and shadow ball are an awesome STAB combination for some reason, and hydro pump is obvious.
---

Scizor (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP/252 Atk/8 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Pursuit
---
Scizor is Scizor and there isn't much to say. I mainly put Scizor on my teams to counter Salamence, but Salamence got banned so I no longer need to worry about him. Even so I need some steel on my team, and something to scout with. Scizor and Rotom-A are a great combination as I said...
---

Threats:
Blissey - Counters Kingdra and Empoleon. Lucario counters Blissey.
Gliscor - If it is paired with Blissey then my entire offense is countered. I'm betting on the fact that I won't run into many teams like this though.
Tyranitar - Ends the rain sweep, although it'll take some bad damage from a hydro pump...and it'll need to find a way to switch in against something that isn't a water attack.
Gyarados - Not obviously defeated by any of my offensive pokemon, but still not too much of a problem. Kingdra and Empoleon can deal good damage to it. Kingdra probably won't get OHKOed. Lucario can put a dent in it. Rotom-W is my actual counter though.
Various offensive pokemon - My team works in such a way my opponent doesn't usually get a chance to set-up a pokemon until later. While I could theoretically be sweeped by a lot of things, my goal is to sweep the opponent first.

Comments and suggestions welcome!
Thanks in advance.

Typing Resists:

Don't really know much about rain teams, but why not put DD on Kingdra? And switch him to a physical sweeper with DD, Waterfall, Outrage, and Draco Meteor or Hydro Pump with an adamant nature. Then you won't have to rely on rain in order for him to sweep very effectively plus with a DD and rain up it'll be nearly unstoppable.

Other then that I would say that you should consider switching Rotom-W to a TrickScarf set with 252SpA/4SpD/252Spe and T-bolt,Shadow Ball,Trick and Will-o-Wisp/Hydro Pump just because you can cripple many walls by tricking a Scarf onto them, such as Bliss should Luke be gone.

For my lack of knowledge with rain teams i still really like this team, even though it's not entirely based on rain.

Hope I helped. Gl.

Really a mixed Kingdra is viable too. It's just a matter of preference. While the mixed Kingdra doesn't have a problem with Blissey, it does have its sweeping potentials cut in a lot of ways compared to the special sweeper set. It relies on outrage and draco meteor a lot, while the special sweeper retains versatility. It gets revenge killed by high speed choice scarfers, while virtually nothing outspeeds the special sweeper set. And it loses a bit of power because it is mixed. Of course dragon dance requires a turn of set-up and takes up a slot. It's very strong but not really all that much stronger than the special set if you think about it. Special hydro pump is stronger than dragon danced waterfall. The extra residual damage it will take might result in an earlier death. I often take hits with the special sweeper but keep sweeping, because not much can OHKO Kingdra until it's low on health. And...while being a special attacker makes it weak to Blissey, it makes it far stronger against /most/ other pokemon. So that's a double edged sword.

I'll keep it in mind if I find the special Kingdra lacking, or feel the need to make a team that doesn't worry about Blissey as much.

The CS Rotom-W thing is a pretty good idea. Once Lucario comes in and Blissey switches out I still have to deal with it later on, at which point I only have Scizor to rely on. Another more radical possibility is Heatran with explosion over Rotom-A. It also goes good with Scizor. I'll think about these and test them or see if they would be useful by just playing it out in my mind during the games I have.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Heatran would go well with Scizor but personally I don't see his viability on this team even though it isn't completely based on rain, Heatran still loses some damage on any fire attacks, should rain be up, and takes more damage from any water attacks. Although an explosion from Heatran can blow some holes in some pokemon mainly Bliss as a LO boosted Explosion from a timid Heatran always OHKO's after SR damage, but a unboosted explosion has a VERY slim chance to OHKO. I like this Heatran idea, but Heatran>Rotom gives your team a harder time with Gyarados, unless of course you were to go with Hp Electric which still OHKO's. In which case refrain from exploding early game with Heatran until you know your opponents team(which is kind of obvious but just felt like saying it)

Between Azelf and Kingdra the rain won't last long enough to hinder Heatran very often.

Heatran won't OHKO a Blissey often with explosion (assuming leftovers), but that's not really that big of an issue. Blissey will have to be in top notch shape, and recover the moment it is hit to not die to whatever comes in next. I can't imagine it being too difficult.

Well here is the theory on fighting a Blissey weak late game with Scizor. It turns into a damage race.
Blissey comes in, you send in Scizor. u-turn and send in an attacker.
Blissey comes in...switch back to Scizor, u-turn again and send in another attacker. Try to destroy their team until it's just Scizor versus Blissey and you win. Of course advanced switch play will probably occur, to try to buy turns. And that means psychological warfare, who has the most to gain from bought turns, who rather play it safe, etc.

Anyways this isn't really a very fun late game but it is winnable.

Brining up the Gyarados issue is good. Kingdra with HP electric might catch it off guard to get rid of it early on. I just looked into it and Kingdra will beat a Gyarados with dragon pulse the majority of the time, unless it is down on health a lot.

Maybe I put it in the calc wrong or something, idk.
And running Hp Electric on Kingdra wouldn't be that good because you want to keep that coverage on Celebi because it can just T-wave as you switch(assuming you chose Hp Electric) and cripple any of your pokemon, since none of them would enjoy being paralysed. And if you stay in vs. Celebi you run a chance of getting T-waved and crippled. So, since you can handle Gyarados the majority of the time with Dragon Pulse I suggest just keeping the set as is.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I just wanted to point out that this is not a rain team. Rain teams have 2-3 rain setuppers and the rest are sweepers (broadly speaking).

I was wondering if you woulbe be willing to just drop the rain theme since this team is more offense with a fast Kingdra thrown in. Shifting this teams focus can make this team work much better. Otherwise its slightly difficult to rate since I don't know if you want pokemon that abuse the rain or something else.

I'd use Ludicolo over Empoleon. It's better at taking water type attacks than empoleon, and due to swift swim, it gets an instant speed boost in the rain. I would go for a move set of

Ludicolo
modest/swift swim/life orb
60HP/252SpA/196Speed
Surf
Grass Knot
Ice Beam
Substitute/HP electric/Seismic toss.

the last move is your choice really, but I personally like Hidden power electirc the most.

ginganinja: I know what a rain team is and how it works. I've made them before and I've seen the perfection of standard rain. This is a "small rain" team.
You criticize the team for not devoting itself to rain, but I have a challenge to that. In any rain team the first thing the player does is set up rain, suicide, and send in a blind swift swim sweeper. Then they let this swift swimmer die and either send in another swift swimmer if they have time, or set up rain again. However there is no reason one should have to set up rain /again/ to make the first rain dance cost-effective. The first swift swimmer sweep intends to soften up the opposing team so later rain dances / swift swimmers will finish the opponent off. However in this version instead of, after this initial rain step, intending to continue the rain I instead switch over to heavy offense style to capitalize off the blind sweep.
In other words Azelf/Kingdra is just a nuke rush so the rest of my team can try to wipe the game up. In a full rain dance team Azelf/Kingdra would still be a nuke rush, except the rest of the team would intend to wipe the game up with more rain dance instead of heavy offense.
Maybe it is just a completely inferior strategy to both rain dance and heavy offense but I intend to make it work as well as I can. If I remove the nuke rush this team falls apart because it is based around the nuke rush.

Now consider this: Rain dance teams have some severe weaknesses. Lucario and Scizor can destroy swift swimmers with priority attacks. Tyranitar can destroy the rain continually. Blissey can force special sweepers out. By switching to heavy offense I lose these weaknesses to a large extent. Also my offensive core is arguably just as threatening as a full rain dance team's offensive core, but without needing rain to pull it off. Lucario and Empoleon are both known as late-game super sweepers, and Kingdra is the star rain dance sweeper.

As for comparing it to a heavy offense team I can't really say much because I haven't played heavy offense much. Heavy offense probably has more potential but I still think Kingdra is a strong enough sweeper to immediately niche the game into a counter-sweep counter-sweep chain, one which many teams will have trouble stopping.

grayfyre: Ludicolo would be worth it if I had enough rain left, but a good amount of the time the rain stops by the time Kingdra's sweep ends so I'd have to set up rain a second time which isn't an option for this team. Ludicolo would be inconsistent.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)