Gen 7 [SM OU] Revised my team, RMT

Hey, so I've previously made a RMT and decided to change most of my mons while keeping the same core of Excadrill and Tapu Koko

Excadrill @ Focus Sash
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Excadrill is used as a suicide lead most of the time unless the opposing team has a Skarmory or Cloyster, in which case Magnezone or Tapu Koko leads instead. Mold Breaker lets it bypass Magic Bounce to place Stealth Rocks and put Toxic on stall Pokemon like Mega Sableye. Rapid Spin lets it compete with other entry hazard leads, which it wins most of the time unless it's Skarmory, Cloyster or another Excadrill speed tying with it. Finally, Focus Sash allows it to endure OHKOs to have the much needed Stealth Rocks set up or to survive a hit and maybe get a hit or kill off or poison a dangerous foe.

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 12 Atk / 244 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Knock Off
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Tangrowth is the special wall of this team, checking common meta threats such as Greninja, Tapu Bulu, Mega Swampert and Celesteela. Regenerator further increases its survivability and is one of two recovery sources next to Giga Drain. Since it has Assault Vest to tank special attacks, it runs Knock Off for utility, getting rid of items that some Pokemon really need to survive. All other moves are solely for coverage. Giga Drain for the ground types it checks, Sludge Bomb to threaten Tapus and Hidden Power Ice for Landorus-T.

Tapu Koko @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn
- Taunt

This is a Shuca bait set, taken from Smogon. Because Tapu Koko is already a great pivot, I found it can forgo moves such as Dazzling Gleam. Hidden Power Ice surprises Gliscor and Landorus-T which are both 4x weak to it. STAB Thunderbolt allows it to wreck Toxapex and other flying types as well as specially frail Pokemon. Because of its speed, it can also take on non-scarf Greninja sets and Greninjas that haven't activated Battle Bond yet. U-Turn allows it to pivot against ground types while Taunt shuts down any status move trickery from Ferrothorn, Chansey, Blissey and other weird quirky teams that YouTubers rely on to get their boring sweeps going.

Magnezone @ Electrium Z
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Substitute

Hippity hoppity, your Ferrothorn is my property. Ferrothorn would be a counter to almost the entire team if not for Magnezone. When Magnezone switches into Ferrothorn then Ferrothorn just dies. Same goes for Celesteela not carrying Flamethrower and Skarmory. Magnezone would switch into those steel types and trap with Magnet Pull, set up Substitute in case of status trickery like Ferrothorn's Leech Seed, then fire away with Hidden Power Fire. Thunderbolt and Flash Cannon are general STAB coverage moves and Electrium Z allows Magnezone to fire off a Gigavolt Havoc at threats it would struggle against such as Heatran or as a desperation move.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

This is a physically bulky Rotom-Wash. It covers most of this team's weaknesses, especially ground and fire. Rotom's job is to check physical threats such as Garchomp and Tyranitar with Will-O-Wisp, working in conjunction with Tangrowth. I've used Smogon's EV spreads for this so it can wall and outspeed specific pokemon. Volt Switch lets Rotom pivot nicely in Electric Terrain and Hydro Pump is its main STAB move to threaten the aforementioned ground and fire types. Lastly, Pain Split lets Rotom survive a bit longer if it needs to.

Medicham @ Medichamite
Ability: Telepathy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Ice Punch
- Fake Out
- Zen Headbutt
- High Jump Kick

I wanted Psychic and Fighting type coverage while also having a Fake Out user, so I settled for Mega Medicham. It has ridiculously high attack and is not easy to wall, especially if it uses it's STAB moves Zen Headbutt and High Jump Kick, although there's always the risk of High Jump Kick missing. Telepathy before it mega-evolves prevents any weird Trace or Ditto usage. Ice Punch blows away anything that's weak to it. I mostly try and keep Mega Medicham alive so it can abuse Fake Outs in a pinch and extend the duration of Toxic or Will-O-Wisp

Pokemon I consider major threats to this team
-Mega Lopunny
It's just faster than everything on my team, carries Fake Out and does absurd damage with Return.

-Aggresive Pivot users like Scarf Landorus-T
Scarf Landorus-T can keep escaping my ice type attacks with U-Turn and deal serious damage late-game.

-Battle Bond Choice Scarf Greninja
If Greninja gets a kill it can win the game if I don't sacrifice Pokemon to abuse Fake Out with Medicham.

-Blacephalon
Blacephalon is just way too fast and powerful for anyone on my team. Since it's ghost type, I cannot abuse Fake Out on it.

-Belly Drum users
If I don't immedietally get rid of a Belly Drum user like Azumarill, Slurpuff or Linoone I can get swept.

-Offensive Kommo-o
Here's where I miss having Dazzling Gleam on Tapu Koko. If it gets off a Clangorous Soulblaze and my Mega-Medicham is not at full health it can deal serious damage to my team.

So the ultimate counter team to my team would be Mega Lopunny, Landorus-T, Greninja, Blacephalon, Azumarill and Kommo-o. Suggestions and tips? Anything I appreciate really!

Importable: https://pokepast.es/c30511f12209ed5f

Last edited:
Hi man! First of all i would like to say that the main idea of your team is pretty cool, Excadrill + Tapu Koko is such a straight forward core, they work pretty well together, but i strongly believe they are perfect for an Hyper Offense Team. Instead of the BO/Electric Spam you made i thought on a more standard but effective way to adjust your team so it will deal better with almost every thing in the metagame. My idea is to convert your team on an Hyper Offense that preserves the essence of your team so i put some techs to take advantage of the Electric Field. When you use a Sash Lead like Exca you tend to build an offensive team so you can take advantage of your opponent once your hazards are up without letting him set his own hazards up without a punishment, so that's why a fast pathed team fits better for the mons you selected. Instead of bulky mons that can switch you need offensive pressure to take the game to your side ^^.

Getting into the Rate!!
:Excadrill: Exca is a great lead that will ensure you set up rocks, and will face most of the opposite leads with Toxic or an Stab Move, I think you don't really need Spin here cause you can punish if your opp tries to set up his hazards or remove yours with a Sub, or setting up with Mage/Kommo, also your team isn't week to rocks neither t spikes so you'd be fine.

:tapu koko: Koko's function is to set up the Screens so you can easily start to boost with Lucha/Gearna/Kommo , U-Turn gives you a lot of momentum and HP Ice is a nice addition since Garchomp could be very annoying otherwise.

:kommo-o: I find in Kommo-o a great way to deal with Ferrothorn which was one of your worries, since you can use him as a set up fodder or force him out so you have a free sub, Drain Punch after a belly drum should be devastating for your opponent's team and T Punch has great synergy with Koko's field so i preserve the electric spam spirit of your last version of this team. Whatever, if you don't feel comfortable with Kommo-o you can use without any problem a Garchomp, Scizor-Mega, Pinsir-Mega, Gyarados-Mega... There are a lot of options, and HO can be very creative too.

:Hawlucha: One of the problems i had with your last team was the lack of a Ground Immunity which is mandatory for me when we talk about USM OU, Even if it's not a good switch, You can go to Lucha after Koko's U-Turn and with the screens in your field so you can easily boost with SD and break like Medicham did in your version, but with better speed control, which you lacked a lot too.

:Magearna: Magearna is always great for an HO, it gives you speed control too with shift gear, it's bulk it's perfect to set up while screens are up, and it's variety of sets make it a "very unpredictable mon". That being said you can try to use Magearna with Calm Mind or Ice Beam instead of Focus Blast, just try to feel comfortable with the team and test a lot until you find the key.

:Greninja-Ash: Greninja Ash is one of the best when we talk about cleaning weakened teams, it's not easy to switch against a Greninja and if you gain the Ash form even less, since his hits are very powerful. Spikes can also be useful if you think your opp is especially weak to one of your threats so you can focus on setting hazards up and playing the game around that game plan. Priority also gives you more speed control since we don't need a scarfer mon here and this "pseudo water resist" can also be useful at some point. And Gren will also be good against rain teams since you will take advantage of the rain, especially Tornadus rains were a big problem for your last team.

I hope you like the changes of the team, even if i turned it into a very offensive team, since you wanted to play with Koko and Exca, if you are more comfortable playing more slow pathed teams you can try a structure like Medi, Koko, Torna, Tang, Garchomp + Steel which will be a good volt turn team with good breakers.

I leave the import of the team here
https://pokepast.es/fc4e29878de9cb09

Last edited:
Hey, I've given your team a try.

First off, this team is absolutely terrible against sticky web teams. It has no way of removing hazards. Greninja, even with choice specs, cannot kill sticky web setters like Ribombee, Galvantula, Araquanid or even Shuckle. The only thing Excadrill can do is set up stealth rocks and poison or do some small damage to them. I would forgo Iron Head with Rapid Spin on Excadrill or give Tapu Koko Defog.

The only Pokemon immune to sticky webs is Hawlucha and leading with Tapu Koko isn't very effective either since this becomes too predictable. Hawlucha is stopped by Will-o-Wisp, phasers, physical walls and pokemon who can set up on the weakened Hawlucha.

There is no taunt on any of the Pokemon here which would stop setup. Perhaps we could replace Magearna with a taunt user?

Yo, I decided to help after seeing an accurate vision of the team and I can say that apart from some mistakes in the construction it is definitely good.
The first thing I notice is that there is no real entry on Lele, in fact Magnezone is not sufficiently equipped to be able to support this threat to the best (unless played with AV as happened a period of the last mg, but I don't think it can work atm).
The second thing I notice is the little resistance to Groud Types as Landorus-T, as Rotom-W would suffer too much from possible U-Turn and suffer continuous damage both direct and indirect (expected from both the Scarf set and the Z move).
We can also consider Heatran on this aspect as once immediately Toxic on Rotom can shoot Magma Storm without having particular resistance.
In the end I notice that Cminder as Reuniclus can wall you in mind game, especially if you have a Medicham and a Koko without the Z move capable of creating pressure.

Let's move on to the changes, first of all i think that Exacadrill with the Sash item works only in HO with the role of Suicide Lead, but is a good choice insert a Electric immunity. For this reason Gliscor is better for your team, Stealth Rock setter with the spread to resist to Heatran n outspeed him after the safe switch, the stab Earthquake is to hit Magearna, M-Mawile, Exacadrill, CharX and Ttar. Toxic is a good option to Tangrowth, Rotom n Tornadus. Roost is obv that is used to recover.
For the reasons listed regarding Lele, Celesteela is a better option over Magnezone, helps a lot also vs M-Alakazam that can sweep Koko n Medicham and can wall very well M-Scizor and Scarftana with the nature bulky n kill with Flamethrower.
Changing the defensive core i think that Greninja with BB over Rotom-W change the team in an offensive asset, better to not become too passive. Can win the 1vs1 with Reuniclus and can kill better all Lando-T sets.
The last change regards Koko, is common used with the Defog set vs Toxapex and guarantee the safe defog over him, Roost is a good option to Recover hp n check better Hawlucha, Thunderbolt with the Z move is used to kill Medicham annoyer as Mew and Mega Sableye. HP Ice is the best option to hit Electric Immunities as Gliscor n Lando-T.
Optional: Adamant nature on M-Medi is used to do big damage thanks the priority Fake Out n the Stabs

The team was built taking into account the core M-Medi + Koko + Ninja, which manages to hit a wide range of checks of the current metagame, however I preferred a better offensive set-up.

Have a nice day :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)