Slowbro [Singles] [QC 0/3]

"Look bro, I got your pants!"
[OVERVIEW]

+ Impressive bulk, especially Defense
+ Immunity to critical hits makes defensive buffing moves (Calm Mind/Iron Defense) more viable than usual on Mega sets
+ Sp. Atk. is respectable
+ Although Mega is generally more useful, non-Mega is also useable
+ Decent typing
+ Regenerator makes double-switching very viable with Slowbro, and is good on both Mega and non Mega sets
- Defensive sets are susceptible to Taunt
- Special Defense is lackluster and leaves Mega Slowbro very vulnerable to things such as Gengar's Shadow Ball/Hex
- Can be worn down by Toxic and other stall strategies

[SET]
name: Stall
move 1: Scald
move 2: Slack Off
move 3: Thunder Wave
move 4: Iron Defense / Ice Beam
item: Slowbronite / Rocky Helmet
ability: Regenerator
nature: Bold
evs: 244 HP / 156 Def / 4 SpA / 100 SpD / 4 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

• Scald is STAB and lets Mega-Slowbro fish for burns
  • Slack Off helps longevity
  • T-Wave can incapacitate sweepers such as Kangaskhan, Blaziken, and Charizard
  • Iron Defense adds to Slowbro's bulk and makes it more of an annoyance. Immunity to critical hits makes the buffs actually mean something. This helps against set-up sweepers such as Power-Up Punch Kangaskhan and Swords Dance Garchomp.
  • Iron Defense also allows Slowbro to tank Belly Drum Azumarill
  • Ice Beam gives Slowbro a secondary attack
  • Rocky Helmet variants will want to run Bold max HP / max Defense to make up for the loss of defense
  • Rocky Helmet variants will also want to run Ice Beam over Iron Defense
  • Rocky Helmet allows you to run Mega Venusaur alongside Slowbro, which can form a good core on stall teams

Set Details
========
  • 156 hits the "bump". The rest is put into Sp. Def. to give Slowbro decent overall bulk.
  • Regenerator allows Slowbro to regain health if it has to switch out before Mega Evolving.

Usage Tips
========
  • Good for tanking and neutering physical attackers such as Garchomp, Mamoswine, and Kangaskhan.
  • Can be used to disrupt sweepers with Thunder Wave
  • Special attackers with super effective moves, such as Gengar, are a huge threat to Mega-Slowbro, so it benefits from teammates who can deal with such threats.

Team Options
========
  • Mega-Slowbro is generally found on defensive/stall teams
  • Specially defensive Pokemon such as Chansey and Clefable have good defensive synergy and can help take Special threats
  • Setting up entry hazards and disrupting the opponent can allow Slowbro to shine on stall teams. Garchomp, Ferrothorn, and Skarmory are good options to consider.
  • Skarmory in particular can disrupt foes by racking up residual damage with Toxic and Stealth Rock and shuffling the opponent with Roar
  • Generally strong Pokemon that can deal with the offensive threats to Mega-Slowbro, such as Garchomp, Tyranitar, and Talonflame can provide more offensive pressure and help break through other stall pokemon
  • Mamoswine can provide offensive pressure and take on threats such as Thundurus.
  • Chansey and Gliscor form a great defensive core with Mega Slowbro. In particular, Chansey can work as a status absorber thanks to Natural Cure, and balances complements Slowbro defensively by tanking special attacks.
  • Tyranitar can provide a good answer to Mega-Gengar, being able to switch in fairly easily and Pursuit it.
  • Mega Venusaur is a good teammate for Rocky Helmet Slowbro due to good type synergy. Mega Veusaur takes on Grass-types and Belly Drum Azumarill, while Slowbro helps against Talonflame, Mega Salamence, and Psychic-type attacks.
  • Porygon2 can help deal with Aegislash that are not Sub Toxic variants
[SET]
name: Calm Mind
move 1: Calm Mind
move 2: Scald
move 3: Slack Off
move 4: Ice Beam / Psyshock / Fire Blast
item: Slowbronite
ability: Regenerator > Shell Armor
evs: 252 HP / 252 Sp. Atk. / 4 Sp. Def.

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
  • Calm Mind increases Slowbro's tanking ability and allows it to potentially sweep
  • Scald is Slowbro's main STAB, capable of buring
  • Ice Beam deals with Garchomp and Salamence
  • Psyshock can be used as a secondary STAB and helps Slowbro win Calm Mind wars with Suicune
  • Fire Blast is an option for Ferrothorn
  • Slack Off is an option if you want recovery

Set Details
========
  • A Bold nature allows Slowbro to withstand Garchomp's Outrage and Kangaskhan's Double-Edge with no Defense investment
  • Maximum Special attack EVs give Slowbro more power to complement Calm Mind and ensure that Fire Blast is an OHKO on Aegislash after a Calm Mind boost

Usage Tips
========
  • Slowbro can be used to damage pokemon on the switch, tank a hit, and KO them.
  • Slowbro can use its bulk to tank hits and use the opportunity to set up a Calm Mind
  • Toxic is a serious problem for this Mega Slowbro, because it puts a big time limit on its lifespan. Common Toxic Pokemon to watch out for include Cresselia, Porygon2, and Heatran
  • After a Calm Mind, not even offensive Mega Gengar can OHKO it, and Mega Slowbro can OHKO with a boosted Psyshock.

Team Options
========
  • Pokemon, such as Garchomp and Ferrothorn, that can set hazards and spread residual damage help Slowbro KO weakened foes such as Kangaskhan
  • Tyranitar can set up sand to help rack up residual damage, as well as threaten Gengar
  • Although it shares a Dark-type weakness, Gengar can be a good teammate for its ability to spread burns with Will-O-Wisp.
  • Serperior can be a good teammate for it's ability to deal with Rotom-W and paralyze foes with Glare
  • Subtoxic Aegislash can deal with Porygon2 and Cresselia. It does, however, share Slowbro's weakness to Mega Gengar
[SET]
name: Assault Vest
move 2: Ice Beam
move 3: Psyshock
move 4: Fire Blast
item: Assault Vest
nature: Modest
evs: 252 HP / 92 Def. / 156 Sp. Atk.

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

• Scald is STAB + burn chance
  • Ice Beam OHKOes Garchomp and Mega Salamence
  • Fire Blast OHKOes Aegislash (in Blade-forme) and OHKOes Ferrothorn
  • Psyshock can help deal with Gengar/Mega-Gengar

Set Details
========
  • 252 HP and 92 Defense EVs allow Slowbro to tank Garchomp's Outrage, with only a 4.7% chance for Outrage to 2HKO
  • With an Assault Vest, Slowbro can take a Shadow Ball from Aegislash
  • The remaining EVs are dumped into Sp. Atk. to increase Slowbro's damage output.
  • Regenerator give Slowbro a way to restore health even when holding an Assault Vest. Due to Regenerator, this set works well when double-switching

Usage Tips
========
  • This set surprises a lot of counters to the regular Mega set, such as Gengar, Aegislash, and Ferrothorn
  • Although Slowbro cannot switch into Gengar, if it manages to get in it is capable of surprising Mega-Gengar by tanking Shadow Ball and OHKOing non-defensive sets with Psyshock.
  • Slowbro is a good answer to Garchomp, as it is able to tank Outrage and OHKO with Ice Beam

Team Options
========
  • Mega-Mawile has excellent defensive synergy with Slowbro. Both Pokemon also benefit from Trick Room
  • Mega-Venusaur also has good type synergy, can absorb Toxic, and can help Slowbro deal with Electric types.
  • Pokemon that benefit from Mega Gengar and Aegislash being lured and defeated, work well with this set. Breloom is a good Pokemon in this regard, since it can help with Rotom-W and spread Spore. Calm Mind Sylveon can also be very successful once those threats are gone.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
  • Trick Room and a -Speed nature is an option. Trick Room takes a moveslot, and since Mega-Slowbro is usually expected to take hits and stall, moving last is not a tremendous detriment to it.
  • Life Orb can be used on an offensive Trick Room set
  • Oblivious can also be used on the Mega set to help you set up or Thunder Wave against Taunt users before Mega Evolving. However, Regenerator is generally the preferred ability because it is less situational
  • Toxic is an option to help Slowbro stall out bulky opponents
  • Yawn can be used to force switches and create opportunities to set up

Checks and Counters
===================

**Taunt** Taunt puts a timer on defensive Mega-Slowbro and forces it to attempt to stall without any means of recovery. Although Mega-Slowbro has a respectable Special Attack stat, it is generally used as a defensive tank rather than a sweeper, so Taunt creates an opportunity to wear it down. Commons Taunt users include Thundurus, defensive Talonflame, and Gengar.

**Ghosts** Mega-Gengar can OHKO Mega-Slowbro with Shadow Ball/Dark Pulse. Even after a Calm Mind boost, Shadow Ball is a clean 2HKOed. Mega-Gengar's Shadow Tag ability makes it even more lethal to Mega-Slowbro. Assault Vest Slowbro can deal with Mega-Gengar better than other sets, as it can tank Shadow Ball and OHKO it with Psyshock. Aegislash is also very dangerous to Slowbro for similar reasons.

**Grass-Types** Grass-Types such as Mega-Venusaur and Serperior can cause Slowbro problems, able to overpower Slowbro in most cases due to typing. Breloom can do a lot of damage to Slowbro with Bullet Seed and also disrupt with Spore.

**Electric Types** Specs Rotom-W and Thundurus can both easily OHKO Mega-Slowbro with Thunderbolt. Even uninvested, Rotom-W scores a solid 2HKO with Thunderbolt. Rotom-W is particularly able to counter Slowbro because it resists Scald. Calm Mind Raikou can set up on Slowbro.

**Toxic** Toxic limits Slowbro's ability to stall

**Mega Charizard Y** Mega Charizard Y can set up drought and do a lot of damage to Slowbro with Solarbeam, while Slowbro cannot do much in return.

**Hydreigon** Hydreigon can threaten Slowbro with Dark Pulse, and Ice beam does not do as much damage to it as other dragons.

**Heracross** Although it dislikes Scald burns and Psychic, it cleanly 2HKOes Slowbro with Bullet Seed.

Last edited:
You are my hero

ID slashed before CM. Possibly take out CM on the first set and make a new dedicated CM set. Think stuff like Ice Beam and Fire Blast in that set. OO needs to have a non-mega set, because it's a thing. Maybe not a good thing, but a thing nonetheless, and that's what OO's for. C&C might need more stuff, namely strong SpA, Elecs, and Toxic. Right now it seems too barren.

Great start. The information that you do have is very accurate. I'm not QC, but these are just some suggestions.

e: shit my b, gotta learn how to read lmao

Last edited:
You are my hero

ID slashed before CM. Possibly take out CM on the first set and make a new dedicated CM set. Think stuff like Ice Beam and Fire Blast in that set. OO needs to have a non-mega set, because it's a thing. Maybe not a good thing, but a thing nonetheless, and that's what OO's for. C&C might need more stuff, namely strong SpA, Elecs, and Toxic. Right now it seems too barren.

Great start. The information that you do have is very accurate. I'm not QC, but these are just some suggestions.
I'll definitely consider these suggestions, thanks! I was planning on adding more that one set to this analysis, just wanted to get something up for starters. :)

As for the non-Mega sets, I'm not sure if that's within the scope of this analysis, since I specifically reserved the Mega. Unless people want me to delve into non-Mega territory as well in this analysis, I was under the impression that only the Mega was in need of an analysis.

Oops, didn't realize you were referring to OO at first. In that case, yeah, that might be the place to mention non-Mega. XD

As Hulavuta pointed out, this is still very WIP at the moment. ;)

Last edited:

Demantoid

APMS Founder
is a Top Tiering Contributor
Sorry you if you didn't know this before, but we generally do the Mega and non-mega analyses at the same time (since they're on the same place on the dex). Basically you just need to add Helmet to the first set and cant say wanted an AV set which he said he had an ev spread. He cant say it here now because he's saving posts for his 3k. He also said to possibly make Calm Mind it's own set.

Sorry you if you didn't know this before, but we generally do the Mega and non-mega analyses at the same time (since they're on the same place on the dex). Basically you just need to add Helmet to the first set and cant say wanted an AV set which he said he had an ev spread. He cant say it here now because he's saving posts for his 3k. He also said to possibly make Calm Mind it's own set.
Oh, okay. Sorry, I didn't know/wasn't sure. That's fine, I'll work on adding the non-Mega sets too, then. :3

And lol at cant say "cant saying" it here now. I'll try to get in touch with him. ;)

Last edited:

"Look bro, I got your pants!"
[OVERVIEW]

+ Impressive bulk, especially Defense
+ Immunity to critical hits makes defensive buffing moves (Calm Mind/Iron Defense) more viable than usual on Mega sets
+ Sp. Atk. is respectable
+ Both Mega and non-Mega are viable but mega much more so
- Defensive sets are susceptible to Taunt
- Special Defense is lackluster and leaves Mega-Slowbro very vulnerable to things such as Gengar's Shadow Ball/Hex
- Can be worn down by Toxic and other stall strategies

+decent typing, bulky waters are always good. /psychic helps a bit vs blaziken

[SET]
name: Stall
move 2: Slack Off
move 3: Thunder Wave
move 4: Iron Defense / Calm Mind / Ice Beam - ice beam is good and should be slashed in here. you dont need CM on this set since you have a dedicated cm set
item: Slowbronite / Rocky Helmet
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def. / 4 Sp. Def. you can probably use this spread instead of max HB 244 HP / 156 Def / 4 SpA / 100 SpD / 4 Spe this hits the 'bump' on def then dumps the rest in spdef

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

• Scald is STAB and lets Mega-Slowbro fish for burns
  • Slack Off helps longevity
  • T-Wave can incapacitate sweepers such as Kangaskhan + blaziken and charizard
  • Calm Mind / Iron Defense adds to Slowbro's bulk and makes it more of an annoyance. Immunity to critical hits makes the buffs actually mean something. mention this helps against set up mons like pup kanga and SD garchomp.

Set Details
========
  • Maximum Defense investment capitalize on Mega-Slowbro's higher defense, turning it into a good wall
  • Regenerator allows Slowbro to regain health if it has to switch out before Mega Evolving.
if you use the spread i put up there just mention the things i said

Usage Tips
========
  • Good for tanking and neutering physical attackers such as Garchomp, Mamoswine, and Kangaskhan.
  • Can be used to disrupt sweepers with Thunder Wave
  • Special attackers with super effective moves, such as Gengar, are a huge threat to Mega-Slowbro, so it is best brought in after these threats are eliminated. i wouldnt say this, on stall its not too hard to switch in and out to chansey/ttar.

Team Options
========
  • Mega-Slowbro is generally found on defensive/stall teams
  • Specially defensive Pokemon such as Chansey and Clefable have good defensive synergy and can help take Special threats
  • Pokemon such as Garchomp, Ferrothorn, and Skarmory that can set up hazards or otherwise disrupt the opponent/encourage switching can help create opportunities for Mega-Slowbro. can you explain this? i dont really understand this part.
  • Skarmory in particular can disrupt foes by racking up residual damage with Toxic and Stealth Rock and shuffling the opponent with Roar
  • Generally strong Pokemon that can deal with the offensive threats to Mega-Slowbro(such as?), such as Garchomp, Tyranitar, and Talonflame can provide more offensive pressure and help break through other stall pokemon
  • Mamoswine can provide offensive pressure, support with Stealth Rocks(why is this useful to slowbro?), and take on threats such as Mega-Gengar Thundurus. i took out mega gengar cause gengar can burn mamo and isnt exactly a perfect situation for the ice pig.
  • Chansey and Gliscor form a decent(its better than decent) defensive core with Mega Slowbro
talk about chansey more specifically, it helps absorb status cause of natural cure and takes on a lot of special attackers that threaten bro

tyranitar needs a specific mention for its ability to deal with gengar, being able to switch in fairly easily and pursuit it.

[SET]
name: Calm Mind
move 1: Calm Mind
move 2: Scald
move 3: Ice Beam
move 4: Psyshock / Fire Blast / Slack Off - i actually think slack should be infront and maybe not even anything slashed near it. but i havent used cm bro so dont know how necessary slack off is but i feel like its really hard to pass recovery up
item: Slowbronite
evs: 252 HP / 252 Sp. Atk. / 4 Sp. Def. not sure if theres any better EV spread for this, havent used CM much really.

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
  • Calm Mind increases Slowbro's tanking ability and allows it to deal more damage potentially sweep
  • Scald is Slowbro's main STAB, capable of buring
  • Ice Beam deals with Garchomp and Salamence
  • Psyshock can be used as a secondary STAB helps win CM wars against suicune most notably
  • Fire Blast is an option for Ferrothorn
slack off gives you recovery so you can keep on livin

Set Details
========
  • A Bold nature allows Slowbro to withstand Garchomp's Outrage and Kangaskhan's Double-Edge with no Defense investment
  • Maximum Special attack EVs give Slowbro more power to complement Calm Mind and ensure that Fire Blast is an OHKO on Aegislash after a Calm Mind boost

Usage Tips
========
  • Slowbro can be used to damage pokemon on the switch, tank a hit, and KO them.
  • Slowbro can use its bulk to tank hits and use the opportunity to set up a Calm Mind

Team Options
========
  • Pokemon, such as Garchomp and Ferrothorn, that can set hazards and spread residual damage help Slowbro KO weakened foes such as Kangaskhan
  • Tyranitar can set up sand to help rack up residual damage, as well as threaten Gengar
  • Although it shares a Dark-type weakness, Gengar can be a good teammate for its ability to spread burns with Will-O-Wisp and deal with threats like Rotom-W.
[SET]
name: Assault Vest
move 1: Scald / Surf i dont see why you would run surf unless theres some crazy important calc im missing
move 2: Ice Beam
move 3: Psyshock
move 4: Fire Blast / Flamethrower i think if we're going with the whole "live aegi and fire move it" thing, you need fire blast to ensure you KO
item: Assault Vest
nature: Modest
evs: 252 HP / 92 Def. / 156 Sp. Atk.

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

• Scald is STAB + burn chance
  • Ice Beam OHKOes Garchomp
  • Fire Blast 2HKOes Aegislash(OHKOs blade) and OHKOes Ferrothorn
  • Psyshock can help deal with Gengar/Mega-Gengar

Set Details
========
  • 252 HP and 92 Defense EVs allow Slowbro to tank Garchomp's Outrage, with only a 4.7% chance for Outrage to 2HKO
  • With an Assault Vest, Slowbro can take a Shadow Ball from Aegislash
  • The remaining EVs are dumped into Sp. Atk. to increase Slowbro's damage output.

Usage Tips
========
  • This set surprises a lot of counters to the regular Mega set, such as Gengar, Aegislash, and Ferrothorn
  • Although Slowbro cannot switch into Gengar, if it manages to get in it is capable of surprising Mega-Gengar by tanking Shadow Ball and OHKOing non-defensive sets with Psyshock.
  • Slowbro is a good answer to Garchomp, as it is able to tank Outrage and OHKO with Ice Beam

Team Options
========
  • Mega-Mawile has excellent defensive synergy with Slowbro. Both Pokemon also benefit from Trick Room
  • Mega-Venusaur also has good type synergy, can absorb Toxic, and can help Slowbro deal with Electric types.

tbh i really question this being a main set. tho i have no experience with it so i'll just see what other people think.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
  • Trick Room and a -Speed nature is an option. Trick Room takes a moveslot, and since Mega-Slowbro is usually expected to take hits and stall, moving last is not a tremendous detriment to it.
  • Oblivious can also be used on the Mega set to help you set up or Thunder Wave against Taunt users before Mega Evolving. However, Regenerator is generally the preferred ability because it is less situational
-toxic
-yawn

Checks and Counters
===================

**Taunt** Taunt puts a timer on Mega-Slowbro and forces it to attempt to stall without any means of recovery. Although Mega-Slowbro has a respectable Special Attack stat, it is generally used as a defensive tank rather than a sweeper, so Taunt creates an opportunity to wear it down. mention common taunt users like thund, spdef talon and i guess gengar.

im not totally sure on having taunt as its own thing tho cause mega slowbros spa is actually pretty respectable and common taunt users like thund and gengar threaten it even without taunt. and taunt tflame doesnt take bro on incredibly well.

**Gengar/Mega-Gengar** Mega-Gengar can OHKO Mega-Slowbro with Shadow Ball/Dark Pulse(gengars do not run dpulse). Even after a Calm Mind boost, Shadow Ball is a clean 2HKOed. Mega-Gengar's Shadow Tag ability makes it even more lethal to Mega-Slowbro. Assault Vest Slowbro can deal with Mega-Gengar better than other sets, as it can tank Shadow Ball and OHKO it with Psyshock.

**Ferrothorn** Despite Mega-Slowbro's impressive Defense stat, Power Whip 2HKOes it. This, along with Leech Seed to outstall it, makes Ferrothorn a good counter to Mega-Slowbro. Scald does laughable damage against it. Ferrothorn does not mind being paralyzed as much as faster, more offensive Pokemon.

tbh i dont think ferro is all that amazing vs bro. power whip doesnt 2hko it. slowbro can ID up on it. and if ferro gets burned its basically fucked for the rest of the game. IMO replace this section with a mention just for grass types like serperior and mega venu.

**Electric Types** Specs Rotom-W and Mega-Manectric mention thund here instead cause its way more common can both easily OHKO Mega-Slowbro with Thunderbolt. Even uninvested, Rotom-W scores a solid 2HKO with Thunderbolt. Rotom-W is particularly able to counter Slowbro because it resists Scald.

**Toxic** Toxic limits Slowbro's ability to stall
comments in bold. sorry for the kind of barren amount of comments in the last two sets, dont have much experience with those.

Well, I should add stuff here cuz Surf and Flamethrower on the AV set were my ideas. Surf gets a whole bunch of better chances to Ohko stuff weak to it. I gotta go soon, can do calcs later.

But it has a better chance to Ohko Talon, AV Rhyperior, Rotom-H, Blaziken I think(certainly after recoil,) etc. And giving up Scald seems ok since this isn't as bulky a set that can fish for burns a lot, no recovery barcRegenerator which needs you to switch out, so you're not Scalding. This is especially viable I think on a team with lots of other status.

Fire Blast I'm less opposed to, but Flamethrower still gets most Ferro and Scizor, and does fine vs Aegi in blade as I recall. Ofc still gets Skarms too. I think Fire Blast also doesn't kill Mawi from full.

Well, I should add stuff here cuz Surf and Flamethrower on the AV set were my ideas. Surf gets a whole bunch of better chances to Ohko stuff weak to it. I gotta go soon, can do calcs later.

But it has a better chance to Ohko Talon, AV Rhyperior, Rotom-H, Blaziken I think(certainly after recoil,) etc. And giving up Scald seems ok since this isn't as bulky a set that can fish for burns a lot, no recovery barcRegenerator which needs you to switch out, so you're not Scalding. This is especially viable I think on a team with lots of other status.

Fire Blast I'm less opposed to, but Flamethrower still gets most Ferro and Scizor, and does fine vs Aegi in blade as I recall. Ofc still gets Skarms too. I think Fire Blast also doesn't kill Mawi from full.
this is the calc im looking at

156+ SpA Slowbro Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Aegislash-Blade: 180-212 (107.7 - 126.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

156+ SpA Slowbro Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Aegislash-Blade: 146-174 (87.4 - 104.1%) -- 25% chance to OHKO

would rather have a 85% chance to ohko instead of 25%

there's also this
156+ SpA Slowbro Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Ferrothorn: 156-184 (86.1 - 101.6%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

and about surf, slowbro is still beating all those mons you listed besides rotom-h(which is still a 2hko anyway)(its also still a 2hko on rhyperior)

Thank you. I will implement these changes once I get a working computer and after I move. My old MacBook finally decided to die, so I'm currently working from mobile and unable to really edit this. However, I will have a replacement computer by next week and I move on Sunday, so I'll work on this next week when I have the time and means to do so.

this is the calc im looking at

156+ SpA Slowbro Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Aegislash-Blade: 180-212 (107.7 - 126.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

156+ SpA Slowbro Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Aegislash-Blade: 146-174 (87.4 - 104.1%) -- 25% chance to OHKO

would rather have a 85% chance to ohko instead of 25%

there's also this
156+ SpA Slowbro Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Ferrothorn: 156-184 (86.1 - 101.6%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

and about surf, slowbro is still beating all those mons you listed besides rotom-h(which is still a 2hko anyway)(its also still a 2hko on rhyperior)
Ok, so somehow I missed this. Anyways, for some reason I either gave Cannibal an EV spread missing 8 EVs or there was a miscommunication. Anyways, new calcs.

164+ SpA Slowbro Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Aegislash-Blade: 148-176 (88.6 - 105.3%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO

Teensy bit better. Not that I'm now completely anti-Fire Blast(never really was,) but it's prolly good to kno.

Was wrong about a Ferro I guess, sorry.

Slowbro beats most of those things, but it's rather do so in one hit than two to take less damage. Especially Rotom-h, which is faster and bound to 2hko at worst. AV Rhyperior you avoid an extra chance for Horn Drill to hit, Metal Burst to take you out, etc. Blazikem you do beat, and Talon I think loses after recoil with Scald or Surf, so it doesnt matter even if it can 2hko.

Still, there are many other things Surf is better for. A kinda weird one is Guts switch ins.

Anyways, I hope I don't seem combative. After doing more calcs, I think I'd say Fire Blast is greater than or equal to Flamethrower in usefulness, and you can really go either way on Surf or Scald-I think it depends some on ur team

AV Rhyperior you avoid an extra chance for Horn Drill to hit, Metal Burst to take you out, etc.
You don't avoid either of those as both moves are only 2hkos

164+ SpA Slowbro Surf vs. 0 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Solid Rock Rhyperior: 153-180 (80.5 - 94.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

164+ SpA Slowbro Scald vs. 0 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Solid Rock Rhyperior: 135-162 (71 - 85.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Flamethrower vs Fire Blast i can kinda see if you really hate missing but I really stand by that Scald is 100% the better option over Surf. Most of the things you've been listing don't even get OHKO'd by Surf(besides talon & blaziken who are both super frail anyway) so they're really bad examples. There's no point in using Surf if you're still only picking up 2hkos and don't even have a chance to burn. Like I seriously have no idea what you're calcing that makes Surf look like a good idea

You don't avoid either of those as both moves are only 2hkos

164+ SpA Slowbro Surf vs. 0 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Solid Rock Rhyperior: 153-180 (80.5 - 94.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

164+ SpA Slowbro Scald vs. 0 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Solid Rock Rhyperior: 135-162 (71 - 85.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Flamethrower vs Fire Blast i can kinda see if you really hate missing but I really stand by that Scald is 100% the better option over Surf. Most of the things you've been listing don't even get OHKO'd by Surf(besides talon & blaziken who are both super frail anyway) so they're really bad examples. There's no point in using Surf if you're still only picking up 2hkos and don't even have a chance to burn. Like I seriously have no idea what you're calcing that makes Surf look like a good idea
Yea idk. I mean there are a few things but they're mostly obscure and made up for by the burn.

On a somewhat related note, do mega CM sets always like Scald too? I mean since the power difference is magnified.

Yea idk. I mean there are a few things but they're mostly obscure and made up for by the burn.

On a somewhat related note, do mega CM sets always like Scald too? I mean since the power difference is magnified.
you really are undervaluing burn man. yes, the chance to burn is really good and scald is hardly overlooked, even on cm sets

NOVED: Finally got implemented the changes you posted a while back. :)

Do you think Slack Off should be slashed with Psyhock / Fire Blast, or do you think I should put all the offensive moves slashed and have Slack off as its own thing? (I haven't gotten a chance to use a Slack Off set yet, so idk how useful it is either)

As for the Assault Vest set being its own set, you'll have to take it up with cant say. It's his set, and he's the one who suggested that I include it. I unfortunately haven't gotten much of a chance to play test it myself. (And yes, I do plan to test this stuff more, just haven't had the time lately.)

I see what you mean about Taunt. Will probably work on re-vamping/getting rid of that section. As you mentioned, Thundurus and Gengar are threats regardless of Taunt, and Talonflame isn't really much of a threat either way.

Could have sworn I did a calc and Ferro's Power Whip 2HKOes it, but I could be wrong.

Last edited:
I feel like Slack Off should be its own thing. I think recovery is usually too good to pass up. Play with it yourself and get an idea of what you think. Maybe it should be slashed, im not an expert on CMbro. And with AV, i think you should be testing this out yourself too, play around with it on the PS ladder or something, get an idea of how it plays so you know whay youre writing about

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Apologize for letting this fall through the cracks, Johto Classic and writing my own analyses really sidetracked me here! I'll get on this now though! Also note that we're doing 3 QC checks on Singles now, so you'll need one extra check on this till you can begin writing, sorry!

Overview

-I'd mention that Regenerator is an incredibly ability before Mega Evolving / for non Mega Evo sets. It makes double switching work very well with Slowbro.

Stall

-Just want to mention that you should remove the Shell Armor part in abilities, since the ability change is assumed on analyses since Mega evos only have one ability.

-With Iron Defense, I'd mention that if you use this on an Azumarill switch in, that it saves you from Belly Drum Azumarill's wrath, as its not gonna 2HKO you at +4 defense even after it Belly Drums.

-I'd talk a bit more about Rocky Helmet throughout the set. In set details, I'd mention that Rocky Helmet usually wants max HP max Defense Bold to make up for the loss in defense. I'd also mention that Rocky Helmet Slowbro is always gonna use Ice Beam over Iron Defense. Finally, it allows you to send out Slowbro and Mega Venusaur out at the same time, which can be pretty useful since Mega Venusaur is another staple on stall teams.

-To expand on the previous point, I'd mention Mega Venusaur as a teammate for Rocky Helmet Slowbro, since they have pretty great synergy. Mega Veusaur takes on Grass-types and Belly Drum Azumarill, while Slowbro helps against Talonflame, Mega Salamence, and Psychic-type attacks.

-I'd mention Porygon2 under teammates for its ability to handle Aegislash that aren't Subtoxic.

Calm Mind

-I think Slack Off is too important to give up here, since it allows Mega Slowbro to set up multiple Calm Minds. I'd slash the other coverage moves with Ice Beam instead, even though that brings its own set of problems.

-I'd mention somewhere that Toxic is a serious problem for this Mega Slowbro, because it puts a big time limit on its lifespan. Common Toxic Pokemon to watch out for include Cresselia, Porygon2, and Heatran (granted Heatran isn't gonna be taking Scald well, but its something you wanna be careful about switching in to)

-This is risky, but I'd mention that after a Calm Mind, not even Offensive Mega Gengar can OHKO (though it still does a lot of damage), while Mega Slowbro can OHKO it with a boosted Psyshock.

-I'd mention Subtoxic Aegislash as a teammate, since it helps deal with Toxic Porygon2 and Cresselia. Just note that it does hate Mega Gengar.

-Not sure I'd say Gengar "deals" with Rotom-W, since offensive variants usually smash through Gengar. If you need something for Rotom-W, I'd mention Serperior instead. Serperior can also use Glare to allow Mega Slowbro to outspeed some threats.

Assault Vest

-I'd also mention that Ice Beam smashes through Mega Salamence.

-In set details, mention how Regenerator allows AV Slowbro to restore its health a bit, very unique for an AV Pokemon!

-In usage tips, I'd mention that this set works especially well with double switching to restore health with Regenerator.

-Under teammates I'd mention some stuff that benefits from Mega Gengar and Aegislash being lured and defeated, since thats a pretty unique aspect of this set. Two examples I got off the top of my head are Breloom, who can help with Rotom-W and actually Spores stuff for Slowbro, while Sylveon functions a lot better with Aegislash and Mega Gengar on, and is a pretty good Calm Minder.

Other Options

-I'd mention that some Trick Room Slowbro run a Life Orb to be used as an offensive Trick Roomer (It's actually used a bit more than AV btw, but you don't have to write about the set)

Checks and Counters

-Some threats I'd add to this list are: Aegislash (maybe pair it under Gengar and call the section Ghosts), Mega Charizard Y (drought and Solar Beam do a number on Slowbro), Hydreigon (Dark Pulse does a lot), Breloom under Grass-types (Bullet Seed does a lot and it can Spore you), and Raikou under Electric-types (Calm Mind lets it use Slowbro as set up bait).

-I'd mention Mega Heraross. It doesn't like Psychic moves, Paralysis or Scald Burns, but Pin Missile straight up 2HKOs Mega Slowbro.

Apologize for letting this fall through the cracks, Johto Classic and writing my own analyses really sidetracked me here! I'll get on this now though! Also note that we're doing 3 QC checks on Singles now, so you'll need one extra check on this till you can begin writing, sorry!

Overview

-I'd mention that Regenerator is an incredibly ability before Mega Evolving / for non Mega Evo sets. It makes double switching work very well with Slowbro.

Stall

-Just want to mention that you should remove the Shell Armor part in abilities, since the ability change is assumed on analyses since Mega evos only have one ability.

-With Iron Defense, I'd mention that if you use this on an Azumarill switch in, that it saves you from Belly Drum Azumarill's wrath, as its not gonna 2HKO you at +4 defense even after it Belly Drums.

-I'd talk a bit more about Rocky Helmet throughout the set. In set details, I'd mention that Rocky Helmet usually wants max HP max Defense Bold to make up for the loss in defense. I'd also mention that Rocky Helmet Slowbro is always gonna use Ice Beam over Iron Defense. Finally, it allows you to send out Slowbro and Mega Venusaur out at the same time, which can be pretty useful since Mega Venusaur is another staple on stall teams.

-To expand on the previous point, I'd mention Mega Venusaur as a teammate for Rocky Helmet Slowbro, since they have pretty great synergy. Mega Veusaur takes on Grass-types and Belly Drum Azumarill, while Slowbro helps against Talonflame, Mega Salamence, and Psychic-type attacks.

-I'd mention Porygon2 under teammates for its ability to handle Aegislash that aren't Subtoxic.

Calm Mind

-I think Slack Off is too important to give up here, since it allows Mega Slowbro to set up multiple Calm Minds. I'd slash the other coverage moves with Ice Beam instead, even though that brings its own set of problems.

-I'd mention somewhere that Toxic is a serious problem for this Mega Slowbro, because it puts a big time limit on its lifespan. Common Toxic Pokemon to watch out for include Cresselia, Porygon2, and Heatran (granted Heatran isn't gonna be taking Scald well, but its something you wanna be careful about switching in to)

-This is risky, but I'd mention that after a Calm Mind, not even Offensive Mega Gengar can OHKO (though it still does a lot of damage), while Mega Slowbro can OHKO it with a boosted Psyshock.

-I'd mention Subtoxic Aegislash as a teammate, since it helps deal with Toxic Porygon2 and Cresselia. Just note that it does hate Mega Gengar.

-Not sure I'd say Gengar "deals" with Rotom-W, since offensive variants usually smash through Gengar. If you need something for Rotom-W, I'd mention Serperior instead. Serperior can also use Glare to allow Mega Slowbro to outspeed some threats.

Assault Vest

-I'd also mention that Ice Beam smashes through Mega Salamence.

-In set details, mention how Regenerator allows AV Slowbro to restore its health a bit, very unique for an AV Pokemon!

-In usage tips, I'd mention that this set works especially well with double switching to restore health with Regenerator.

-Under teammates I'd mention some stuff that benefits from Mega Gengar and Aegislash being lured and defeated, since thats a pretty unique aspect of this set. Two examples I got off the top of my head are Breloom, who can help with Rotom-W and actually Spores stuff for Slowbro, while Sylveon functions a lot better with Aegislash and Mega Gengar on, and is a pretty good Calm Minder.

Other Options

-I'd mention that some Trick Room Slowbro run a Life Orb to be used as an offensive Trick Roomer (It's actually used a bit more than AV btw, but you don't have to write about the set)

Checks and Counters

-Some threats I'd add to this list are: Aegislash (maybe pair it under Gengar and call the section Ghosts), Mega Charizard Y (drought and Solar Beam do a number on Slowbro), Hydreigon (Dark Pulse does a lot), Breloom under Grass-types (Bullet Seed does a lot and it can Spore you), and Raikou under Electric-types (Calm Mind lets it use Slowbro as set up bait).

-I'd mention Mega Heraross. It doesn't like Psychic moves, Paralysis or Scald Burns, but Pin Missile straight up 2HKOs Mega Slowbro.
Finally got around to updating this. Sorry, I am on a semi-hiatus from Pokemon. Feel free to give this to someone else if I continue to be this lazy. I will try to at least drop in to work on this, occasionally though, as I do feel bad for taking this on right before I went MIA. :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)