Slowbro [QC: 0/3] Locked due to inactivity

Overview
########

• Mega Slowbro is insanely physically bulky and can be very specially bulky after it sets up Calm Mind, because of this it becomes a big win condition if you setup enough that your opponent simply can't out damage/heal it. But setting up is difficult, as many good players will know what's coming when they see Slowbro on team preview and will double target it.
  • Because of the previous point, you can't just slap Mega Slowbro on a team, you actually have to build around it, this is so you can clean the opponent's team from Slowbro checks and only THEN sweep, other wise it's going to be very hard to setup with the constant kill pressure onto you.
  • Slowbro has INSANE physical defense, because of this it can threaten at least 70% of all the physical attackers in the tier, it can wall them, heal up any damage and even burn them in the process.
  • Mega Slowbro fits better on offensive teams, Slowbro's partners can remove any Slowbro checks, and Slowbro can become a big ass target for the enemy to hit and give his partner a free turn.
  • Even though Mega Slowbro is used as a setup wall, it can wall a bunch of things like Landorus-T and Heatran without any setup.
  • Shell Armor prevents you from being outskilled by critical hits which is one of the main things that trouble setup walls.
  • While it may have insane physical defense, Slowbro has lackluster special defense that is easily made use of, as its weaknesses (Electric, Grass, Dark and Bug) are all relatively common.
  • Since Slowbro is a setup wall, it can be Taunted to prevent it from setting up/healing, making him an easy target for strong special attackers or double targetting, specially after mega evolving since he won't have Regenerator.

Bulky Attacker
########
name: Bulky Attacker
move 1: Psyshock
move 2: Scald
move 3: Calm Mind
move 4: Slack Off
ability: Regenerator -> Shell Armor
item: Slowbronite
evs: EVs: 252 HP / 20 SpA / 236 SpD
ivs: 1 Spe / 0 Atk
nature: Relaxed

Moves
========

• Psyshock is slowbro's best STAB, as it can hit hings that stack Special Defense, like Amoonguss or Conkeldurr. Psychic can be used instead of Psyshock to fish for SpD drops late game, but it makes you weaker against things that stack SpD when you can't afford to setup.
  • Scald has a chance to burn, which gives valuable chip damage against walls like Cresselia, as well as weakens physical attackers like Kangaskhan.
  • Calm Mind is crucial on this set, it makes up for your lackluster Special Defense and makes your already high Special Attack even higher.
  • Slack Off heals you 50% of your maximum health, it is great for healing up damage after you setup or for baiting double targets onto you.

Set Details
========

• Since EVs work with percentages, running Relaxed gives you more points than running Calm or Sassy since your Defense is stupid high. The 20 EVs in Special Attack allow you to OHKO Talonflame with Scald after Mega, the 236 EVs in Special Defense make you bulkier on the special side, which is crucial since you have lackluster special defense. The IVs make you take less Confusion damage, Foul Play damage and outspeed Sassy 0 Spe IVs Amoonguss.
  • We run Regenerator pre-mega so you can switch in, get a kill or something then switch out and gain your health back.

Usage Tips
========

• Spam Scald whenever possible to get burns and therefore free damage every turn, it also weakens physical attackers, making them useless against you.
  • You can use Slack Off to bait double targets then heal up and switch out, if you're sure you can survive you can also bait the double target without mega evolving so you get the extra 25% health from Regenerator.
  • Since you have lackluster Special Defense, you aren't insanely tanky after setting up a single Calm Mind, so be sure to remove anything that can OHKO or 2HKO Slowbro before setting up.
  • Chosing when to mega evolve is crucial, so you can kill something then switch out to proc Regenerator.
  • When using Slowbro with a redirector, you can play mind games such as protecting with Slowbro and doing something else with redirector or Protecting redirector while they target it and heal with Slowbro.

Team Options
========

• Slowbro's weak to Electric, Grass, Ghost, Bug and Dark moves, the first are commonly special, so make sure to remove anything with that coverage before setting up. The latter is mostly seen in Knock Off, but it is also seen quite commonly in Dark Pulse, which is special. Good things to remove Grasses are Talonflame, Kyurem-Black, Heatran, Shaymin-Sky and sometimes Thundurus. Good things to beat Electrics are Landorus-T, Excadrill, Kyurem-Black, Mamoswine and, to an extent, Sylveon. Good Pokemon to beat Darks are Terrakion, Sylveon, Conkeldurr, Breloom and generally any Fairy.
  • Slowbro can't setup if it gets Taunted, so preventing taunt or having a good taunt switch in is great. Examples of mons that can prevent Taunt are Sableye and Thundurus, good taunt switch ins are Landorus-T, Sylveon or any choiced mon.
  • Slowbro really appreciates redirection to get free turns to setup. Amoonguss resists Electric attacks, but it can't redirect any Grass attacks from Slowbro, but the free turns provided by Sleep are very useful for healing/setting up. Togekiss and Jirachi, Togekiss resists Bug, Dark and Grass, but shares a common weakness with slowbro in Electric, Jirachi while it may only resist grass it can take hits better overall.

Other Options
########

• Psychic - This is better lategame if you want to fish for drops after you setup, but Psyshock is stronger against things that stack Special Defense.
  • Fire Blast - Great for hitting Ferrothorn and Amoonguss, niche pick.
  • Trick Room - This can be used if you can afford to not run either Scald or Psyshock, as Calm Mind and Slack off are a must have for Slowbro.
  • Oblivious - Oblivious can be used to prevent a Taunt pre-mega to get a free CM, but you can be Taunted after mega (preventing healing) and you lose the ability to play around with Regenerator

Checks & Counters
########

**Strong Attackers**: Even though Slowbro has insane Physical Defense, it has a low 80 Special Defense, making it very vulnerable to Special Attacks before setting up, notable Pokemon that can make use of this weak stat are Rotom-W, Thundurus, Zapdos, Raikou, Shaymin-Sky, Venusaur, Ludicolo, Amoonguss, Hydreigon, Aegislash, Latios, Latias, Gengar, Sylveon and Charizard-Y. Rotom-H does around 80% to Slowbro, but can't take a Scald. There are also a few exceptions, while Slowbro does indeed have high Physical defense somethings can plow through it without much trouble, those are Scizor and Escavalier, Breloom can do 50% with 3-hits from Bullet Seed, but it gets OHKOd by Psyshock.

**Utility Moves**: Slowbro is a setup wall, and like any setup wall it hates Taunt and chip damage from burns or Leech Seed. Notable Pokemon that run those moves and can beat Slowbro are Thundurus, Rotom-W, Ferrothorn, Venusaur, Gourgeist, Sableye and Gengar.

Last edited:

SpaceBass

☆ALOLA VERA420: FUKK AMOONGUS AND UR MOM
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Am check

Overview:
  • Mega Slowbro is insanely Physically bulky, its special bulk its average before any boosts and a strong SE hit before a boost will hinder its ability to set up
  • The last bullet point fits more into checks and counters, move the part about being vulnerable to special attacks into the first bullet point and move the mention of other pokemon to checks and counters
  • The part about abusing Regenerator before mega evolving would fit better in usage tips imo
  • Really sell the point that megabro can threaten alot of the physical attackers in the tier just by being too bulky to outdamage healing
  • Also really sell Shell Armor as an ability, the main thing holding back boosting mons in doubles is the double risk of a critical hit, this removes alot of luck from play

Set Details:
  • I'd slash oblivious behind regenerator tbh, being safe from Taunts on a booster is always handy

Usage Tips:
  • Slowbro is sometimes used as a Trick Room setter, and can function great in TR, so using another setter may be able to confuse the opponent as to which one will use it. Not an ideal strategy but mind games are fun.

Team Options:
  • Amoonguss can be an annoying partner as it resists Electric, and although it can't redirect grass attacks away from bro, being able to steer thunderbolts away is handy, and the sleeps it can buy are valuable for free turns of boosting and healing.
  • Follow Me is an option for redirecting Grass attacks, however the two best fits are Togekiss or Jirachi, the former resistsing bug, dark and grass but sharing an electric weakness, while Jirachi only resists one of bro's weaknesses in grass, but can take hits better overall.
Other Options:
  • Oblivious is a great option for bro as it is commonly taunt bait, and staying in base form can sometimes let you avoid a taunt and get a free boost off
  • Make sure to explain why the other options are other options, and what they hit / help beat

Last edited:
Am check

Overview:
  • Mega Slowbro is insanely Physically bulky, its special bulk its average before any boosts and a strong SE hit before a boost will hinder its ability to set up
  • The last bullet point fits more into checks and counters, move the part about being vulnerable to special attacks into the first bullet point and move the mention of other pokemon to checks and counters
  • The part about abusing Regenerator before mega evolving would fit better in usage tips imo
  • Really sell the point that megabro can threaten alot of the physical attackers in the tier just by being too bulky to outdamage healing
  • Also really sell Shell Armor as an ability, the main thing holding back boosting mons in doubles is the double risk of a critical hit, this removes alot of luck from play

Set Details:
  • I'd slash oblivious behind regenerator tbh, being safe from Taunts on a booster is always handy

Usage Tips:
  • Slowbro is sometimes used as a Trick Room setter, and can function great in TR, so using another setter may be able to confuse the opponent as to which one will use it. Not an ideal strategy but mind games are fun.

Team Options:
  • Amoonguss can be an annoying partner as it resists Electric, and although it can't redirect grass attacks away from bro, being able to steer thunderbolts away is handy, and the sleeps it can buy are valuable for free turns of boosting and healing.
  • Follow Me is an option for redirecting Grass attacks, however the two best fits are Togekiss or Jirachi, the former resistsing bug, dark and grass but sharing an electric weakness, while Jirachi only resists one of bro's weaknesses in grass, but can take hits better overall.
Other Options:
  • Oblivious is a great option for bro as it is commonly taunt bait, and staying in base form can sometimes let you avoid a taunt and get a free boost off
  • Make sure to explain why the other options are other options, and what they hit / help beat
I had Oblivous in the guide b4 I lost all my progress and forgot to add back, thanks for the reminder
EDIT: WTF that thing on the overview was in my previous checks and counters
also not adding the double TR setter thing since you can basically only remove either Scald or Psyshock and they're both very valuable to the set.

SpaceBass

Oh I didn't mean use TR on slowbro, I mean that you can use the fact that most slowbro do carry TR to your advantage by bluffing it to get it set up with another partner if you are using it. Just feel that Trick Room is useful as it allows you to boost or heal before the enemy attacks, rather than after, giving some breathing room with boosting and healing.

May also want to mention that the 1 speed IV lets you outspeed Amoonguss, but as Megabro is sometimes used in TR, being 1 faster lets Amoonguss always win with room up, so make a mention to be careful of that.

Last edited:
Oh I didn't mean use TR on slowbro, I mean that you can use the fact that most slowbro do carry TR to your advantage by bluffing it to get it set up with another partner if you are using it. Just feel that Trick Room is useful as it allows you to boost or heal before the enemy attacks, rather than after, giving some breathing room with boosting and healing.

May also want to mention that the 1 speed IV lets you outspeed Amoonguss, but as Megabro is sometimes used in TR, being 1 faster lets Amoonguss always win with room up, so make a mention to be careful of that.
TR Slowbro is less common than megabro lol
Also I did mention the 1 IV thing
EDIT: Darkmalice go give kanga QC it's an important mon :I
DARKMALICE EDIT: Actually I'm waiting for Haruno to update the QC check I gave a month ago
EDIT: I swear after im done with this if haruno doesn't update that I'll talk to him to take it over. Kanga is a very important mon that needs an analysis done

Last edited:

SpaceBass

Am check, also you can probably change the title tag to quality control now as the skeleton is up so its easier to see you're waiting for a check

Overview:
  • Mention Slowbro's huge 180 base defence stat, as its a large part of the appeal of Slowbro
  • Maybe change the wording when you mention it being able to solo teams easily, while it does have great potential to sweep, this is still a booster in a double targeting metagame and most good players will know exactly whats coming when they see Mega Slowbro. Have to factor in status and chip damage aswell. Imo say if it gets enough boosts off, it can very easily become a win condition that the enemy simply cannot outdamage the healing on as a crits won't happen. (The reason I say this is because you can't attack / boost / heal in the same turn, and while you are healing, if you haven't got enough boosts off to tank special hits or do big damage, in a solo pp stall it can come down to the fact that you can't get the offence off or extra boosts needed to win while maintaining health.)
Edit: Kinda worded that last point badly sorry, you get my point

Set Details:
  • Mention that unaware can be used if you want to be able to boost vs Taunters before you mega. Regen can still be the main ability, but unaware on a booster is worth it sometimes
Usage Tips:
  • When being used with a redirector to aid boosting, its good to play mind games and stress your opponent out by not using the same pattern of alternating redirection and protect / healing. Sometimes people just double target the redirector and a protect can give you a free boost or heal on Slowbro and force bad plays later on
Checks and Counters:
  • Mention that as any booster, its kinda vulnerable to Encore, Prankster or otherwise. Whimsicott comes to mind as it can possibly get a Leech Seed off too

Not much experience with Megabro, so that's all I could come up with here, sorry if I missed some stuff.

Last edited:
Am check, also you can probably change the title tag to quality control now as the skeleton is up so its easier to see you're waiting for a check

Overview:
  • Mention Slowbro's huge 180 base defence stat, as its a large part of the appeal of Slowbro
  • Maybe change the wording when you mention it being able to solo teams easily, while it does have great potential to sweep, this is still a booster in a double targeting metagame and most good players will know exactly whats coming when they see Mega Slowbro. Have to factor in status and chip damage aswell. Imo say if it gets enough boosts off, it can very easily become a win condition that the enemy simply cannot outdamage the healing on as a crits won't happen. (The reason I say this is because you can't attack / boost / heal in the same turn, and while you are healing, if you haven't got enough boosts off to tank special hits or do big damage, in a solo pp stall it can come down to the fact that you can't get the offence off or extra boosts needed to win while maintaining health.)
Edit: Kinda worded that last point badly sorry, you get my point

Set Details:
  • Mention that unaware can be used if you want to be able to boost vs Taunters before you mega. Regen can still be the main ability, but unaware on a booster is worth it sometimes
Usage Tips:
  • When being used with a redirector to aid boosting, its good to play mind games and stress your opponent out by not using the same pattern of alternating redirection and protect / healing. Sometimes people just double target the redirector and a protect can give you a free boost or heal on Slowbro and force bad plays later on
Checks and Counters:
  • Mention that as any booster, its kinda vulnerable to Encore, Prankster or otherwise. Whimsicott comes to mind as it can possibly get a Leech Seed off too

Not much experience with Megabro, so that's all I could come up with here, sorry if I missed some stuff.
K adding the mind games part, rewording and I added the Oblivious part to Other Options since I don't think it deserves a slash imo, it's very situational.

SpaceBass

Yeah that sounds right, fair enough. Remember QC might tell me I'm wrong though lol

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Is there a reason you've named this analysis Mega Slowbro? This should be called Slowbro unless you think both that non-mega slowbro is worthy of a set outside of OO and you don't intend to write it yourself.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)