Skarm dying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Skarmory has amazing resistances and Roost to play with. He can handle a lot of threats in the game, such as Scarf Medicham/Heracross. He's different from Cresselia. Cress, while being one of the hardest walls to take down these days, doesn't do what Skarmory can do: Spike, have a reliable 50% recovery move, and get trapped by Magnezone. Skarmory's handy resistances make it the perfect counter for things like Staraptor who Cresselia won't counter btw.

...YOu got me there. Except that you might consider moonlight to be Ok recovery. But yet, 8 PP isn't that much to work with.

Blisselia is far more annoying then SkarmBliss ever was.

Blissey can take anything special, and Cresselia counters physical (bold with Def EVs ofc). Cresselia is also noted for being the only counter to mixed sweepers, except revenge kills. Cresselia is hampered by Moonlight's limitations though, lower PP and vulnability to wheather hurts it.

Guess thats why every team should have a TTar (:P), amirite?

Blisselia is far more annoying then SkarmBliss ever was.

Blissey can take anything special, and Cresselia counters physical (bold with Def EVs ofc). Cresselia is also noted for being the only counter to mixed sweepers, except revenge kills. Cresselia is hampered by Moonlight's limitations though, lower PP and vulnability to wheather hurts it.

Guess thats why every team should have a TTar (:P), amirite?
Stop giving stuff stupid names Blisselia.

Regirock is victim of other Pokes doing similar stuff but more offense aka Rhyperior,T-Tar.Skarmory has the two things that stop most steel from being effective immunity to ground and no weakness fighting.

Skarmory is dying.There are just way too many counters,so no one bothers to use it.There is no more pokes to make a attack or defensive type combo.The ones that exist have already have all of their weaknesses exposed

Who switches Skarmory into an Infernape or Blaziken? Skarm has had retardedly good counters ever since ADV. Hell, Magneton was basically designed to counter him, and yet, even with a Pokémon capable of butt-fucking Skarmory anytime he tried to do anything, he continued to be a good Pokémon.

Skarmory isn't a "cure-all" physical wall. He's not like Blissey, who can take basically any SpA-based attack and laugh it off. In my opinion, Skarmory has to work in tandem with other Pokémon on the team to effectively wall physical attacks. Thunderpunch, Fire Punch, and just the advent of physical weaknesses has made Skarmory (who used to bear no physical weaknesses) a bit more fragile than he once was, but this applies to basically every Pokémon in the game. Skarmory still has crazy typing, two immunities, and can actually do something.

Skarm's still good, just... use with care.

I have also found Skarmory to not work very well anymore for me as a wall. Usually I lead with someone, when I know they are going to use a physical attack that skarmory resists, I send her in, then I spike and they send in someone with a fire attack and I don't want to switch out because I usually don't have anyone to take a fire attack so skarmory faints the next turn without getting to use whirlwind or roost.

I got tired of fainting right away that's why I've been trying out choice scarf skarmory. NO ONE expects it. I sent out skarm to block someone, they sent in magmortar, I used bravebird (jolly + 252 Atk / 252 Spd) spread and one hit koed it and then I one hit koed a second thing with a brave bird. Most pokemon that skarmory had ever taken down for me.

I've seen a lot of Cresselias lately and they've never done anything useful to me. Usually they switch in Cresselia to my Mismagius and I Mean Look. They usually run charge beam, ice beam, sleeptalk, moonlight, psychic calm mind or some variation of those. Anyway, with Calm + 252 EV's in Special Defense and HP Mismagius can survive 2-3 of those attacks which is more than enough to pull off a perish trap. I've taken like three or four down that way. Blissey is another one that perish trap works really good against.

I have also found Skarmory to not work very well anymore for me as a wall. Usually I lead with someone, when I know they are going to use a physical attack that skarmory resists, I send her in, then I spike and they send in someone with a fire attack and I don't want to switch out because I usually don't have anyone to take a fire attack so skarmory faints the next turn without getting to use whirlwind or roost.
That's your own fault for having a poorly structured team.

Skarmory fills a different role than Cress or even stuff like Weezing that will physical wall far better than he can. Skarm has a large amount of resistances that better physical walls generally lack due to steel/flying being one of the better ways to add steel into a typing. That, and he has access to a powerful 50% recovery move with lots of PP, spikes, stealth rock, both whirlwind and roar, a few half decent flying type attacks like Drill Peck and he is one of the VERY few pokemon that will outright stop an outraging SDchomp in its tracks. The only real downside to skarm is that mixed sweepers such as Infernape are very unkind to him because one SE special attack running off of any kind of decent stat will knock him out. I wouldn't worry about a flare blitz from ape because most apes are mixapes and would flamethrower you.

It's like saying Weezing is a useless physical wall because physical psychic attacks own him.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Blisselia isn't bad though. The name flows smoothly (easier to say than GrowthTran).

But anyway
@Naraku
Skarmory is -NOT- dying. It simply now has physical weaknesses which does not deter it from physical walling things. Sure it can't wall stuff like Gyarados/Heracross anymore, but it generally walls the rest easier thanks to Roost. It apparently seems that people overlook the fact that it has a base 140 Def which allows it to take hits even from Metagross (who can use CBThunderpunch). I use Skarmory and it works very well. Ask some of the people I have battled and they can also voice out something

@Zangeese
It's your own fault your team is poorly constructed. No team should be without a fire resist.

But anyway
@Naraku
Skarmory is -NOT- dying. It simply now has physical weaknesses which does not deter it from physical walling things. Sure it can't wall stuff like Gyarados/Heracross anymore, but it generally walls the rest easier thanks to Roost. It apparently seems that people overlook the fact that it has a base 140 Def which allows it to take hits even from Metagross (who can use CBThunderpunch). I use Skarmory and it works very well. Ask some of the people I have battled and they can also voice out something

Although I hate Skarmory,I do use him too as well.Mine just sucks because it has a bad moveset

@Zangeese
It's your own fault your team is poorly constructed. No team should be without a fire resist.
That's your own fault for having a poorly structured team.
I only use my favorites it makes the game more fun. There's some fire resist pokemon I like: Starmie, Houndoom, Charizard and Milotic but they didn't work well with the rest of my team at the time. For so many water pokemon in the game there's very few I like: Just Milotic, Starmie, Lanturn and Empoleon. Oh man, I want to make a team with parafusion Lanturn. It's too bad Lanturn can't learn Mirror Coat.

I've liked Skarmory since Gold/Silver because he has Ska in his name. My in game Skarmory will have the standard Drill Peck / Roost / Spikes / Whirlwind moveset because the battle tower pokemon will probably be easier to wall.

Who switches Skarmory into an Infernape or Blaziken? Skarm has had retardedly good counters ever since ADV. Hell, Magneton was basically designed to counter him, and yet, even with a Pokémon capable of butt-fucking Skarmory anytime he tried to do anything, he continued to be a good Pokémon.
You don't switch Skarmory into Infernape/Blaziken. You switch Infernape/Blaziken into Skarmory. Duh. Magneton is older than Skarmory. You mean Magnet Pull was designed to counter it, which it probably was. Also, any good team has a Skarmory counter. Not all teams are ready to counter Regirock.

You don't switch Skarmory into Infernape/Blaziken. You switch Infernape/Blaziken into Skarmory. Duh. Magneton is older than Skarmory. You mean Magnet Pull was designed to counter it, which it probably was. Also, any good team has a Skarmory counter. Not all teams are ready to counter Regirock.
Go find team on this board that does have a ground,water or fighting attack on it.You are more like to find teams with out electric and fire attacks

I'd take the Hungry Hungry Hippo over Skarmory and Regirock anyday.
Well that's my opinion,though..*shrug*

Hungry Hungry Hippo's trait doesn't make him a team player at all.

If only he got something like, Solid Rock, or something crazy useful.

Boa1891

Ninja Researcher
is a Researcher Alumnus
The aren't as many physical fire and electric users as there are fighting and ground users. Lets also not forget that Skarmory's form of recovery, roost, is alot more reliable than Regirock's, rest, since that risks you getting set up on if you don't have sleep talk.
That's why Gliscor totally wins over Skarm. Plus anyone carrying Magnezone loses a major part of its usefulness. Gliscor can take anything like a man, tbh, even things Skarm can't switch into like a really strong thunderpunch ^^ Your infernape does 32-38% on a max def/hp Gliscor, btw, and Gliscor with 4 attack EVs does 94-111% on 4HP EV Infernape. So it takes it, and dishes it back x4.

Since we're talking about things to use instead of Skarmory, Gliscor has to be the best Roost user out there. A lot of physical Pokés carry a special fire attack to mess up Skarm, too; But how many bring along ice beam? Not too many.
Roost shedding off half of his ice weak is really nice too, but you shouldn't be staying in on an ice attack anyway :P Most Ice users are special, so it's a weakness he doesn't have to worry about unless he's in on something mixed with ice.

Meh, they're a bit like golden apples and granny smiths. Wall vs Tank? I just personally prefer Gliscor.

Hungry Hungry Hippo's trait doesn't make him a team player at all.

If only he got something like, Solid Rock, or something crazy useful.
Sandstorm has it's benefits.Like no Focus sash for your opponent and canceling healing from Leftovers (if the poke isn't immune).
Hippo is great if you know how to manage it's sandstorm in your team.Plus it has better offensive capabilities than Skarm.

Skarm is still good. Best Normal/Flying resist in the game. Also, the best layer of Spikes (Forry is taunted to death and Cloyster hates Stealth Rock). The reason Skarmory is less seen now is that it lacks two important resists for DP, Fighting and Rock. That's why it is less used now.

More to come when I get back.

That's why Gliscor totally wins over Skarm. Plus anyone carrying Magnezone loses a major part of its usefulness. Gliscor can take anything like a man, tbh, even things Skarm can't switch into like a really strong thunderpunch ^^ Your infernape does 32-38% on a max def/hp Gliscor, btw, and Gliscor with 4 attack EVs does 94-111% on 4HP EV Infernape. So it takes it, and dishes it back x4.

Since we're talking about things to use instead of Skarmory, Gliscor has to be the best Roost user out there. A lot of physical Pokés carry a special fire attack to mess up Skarm, too; But how many bring along ice beam? Not too many.
Roost shedding off half of his ice weak is really nice too, but you shouldn't be staying in on an ice attack anyway :P Most Ice users are special, so it's a weakness he doesn't have to worry about unless he's in on something mixed with ice.

Meh, they're a bit like golden apples and granny smiths. Wall vs Tank? I just personally prefer Gliscor.

Every team has atleast 2-3 ice beamers, Just becuase of the whole Dragon craze going around. Gliscor works well, if you can predict the ice beam, and come in and out with Gliscor and blissey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)