Singing

I know there's a couple of you out there (actually DM is the only one I know of but I'm sure there's more since Smogon is just a huge cesspool of musical and running talent).

Anyways, I'm just looking for advice. I play a variety of instruments, but over the last couple of months I've picked up acoustic guitar and have found out how much I really want to learn how to sing well. I've played music for like ten or eleven years, so I can hold pitch (and have a really "good ear") and have a knowledge of all things theoretical, but that doesn't really help that much.

Basically, I'm just looking for any advice on how to start singing, different techniques I should use, things I should make sure to not do, and all that stuff. Note: my voice is pretty deep, I'm sure I'd be a bass if I were ever in a choir.

edit: here's a link to a song I've come up with, but it doesn't have lyrics yet. I've had several friends tell me it makes them sad/want to cry, and I'd like to be able to sing it well once I come up with a set of lyrics.

basically sing as much as you possibly can without horribly embarrassing yourself. the vocal cords are a muscle and like any other muscle you have to work them before you will be able to control them with ease.

one of the exercises i remember from choir was singing scales in major and minor keys. basically you have to train your ear-voice coordination. i found it easiest with a well tuned piano.

i have also been told that it is better to hold off trying to create your own style or voice until you have mastered the basics because it is a lot easier than untraining bad singing habits you will inevitably develop from trying to sound unique too soon.

Sing in your vocal range. Find the notes that your voice can hit and stick with those. Nothing worse then a singer who trys too hard to sing out of their range. Also, if you try to sing in the wrong range for too long, it really hurts. If you are really interested, look for a good singing teacher. They will teach you the techniques you need and can help you find your range. Also, learn how to breath properly. That is the best advice there is in singing, proper breathing.

I am just waiting for Anti to come in here and show you all what is what.

p.s. try deep throat massages.

Yeah. I completely agree with the proper breathing being very important. If you get that down early, you won't have any trouble. If you learn to breath incorrectly, it's very hard to unlearn. You develop range and tone over time and with practise. Basically, if you have talent and you start well, singing will come like any other instrument.

Maybe getting yourself in some sort of choir could help, especially if it's just beginning: the instructor will look into aiding everyone to get their voices up and running, you'll get your practice, and participate with a group of people with similar interests.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
One thing my uncle taught me is to breathe from your stomach, not your chest. When you inhale to sing make sure the breath is going deep into your diaphragm.

I really wish I could sing, too. I wish you best of luck, it's probably one of the hardest things to master!

I might take some advice from this topic myself...

I think this would be an appropriate topic to ask: can one actually improve his range through certain methods of training?

I've heard from a couple of good singers that it is possible, but not by much (ie maybe a whole step or two at most). I mean you can definitely improve a lot once you start singing, as I can hit higher notes easier and clearer now than I could before, but once you get the basics I'd assume that it has a pretty steep learning curve.

I was talking to my dad about it a couple of days ago and he said he'd pay for lessons, which is awesome.

My vocal teacher used to get in my ass about confidence. He said I had the pipes for the song, but that I was not confident.

I am about to head in to a tedious project where I am recording a Cd and selling it for charity.

Technique gets you SO far in singing, but emotion and soul also gets you very far.

I can possibly help you with the lyrics, your guitar playing appeals to the way I write my poetry and it keeps to its rhythm. If you need help just IM on AIM.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)