Singing in the Rain... with ubers (Ubers Rain team)

Rain dance is already a decently powerful strategy in OU, except that rain does not last indefinately. In Ubers, however, we have the capability to make it go forever. Yes, at least 3 other commonly played weather changers (or negaters) exist, but kyogre is by far the most common and I can simply switch him in whenever I need to re-set up rain.

Here's my team at-a-glance:

Sorry about the large sprites, for some reason I can't change their sizes...

Yes, I KNOW MY DESCRIPTIONS ARE KIND OF SHORT. I am not very good at writing these and, well, my team has pretty standard sets.

First, my lead:
Kyogre @ Leftovers
Drizzle
240 HP / 244 Def / 24 Sp. Att
Modest
-Surf
-Ice Beam/Thunder (which one?)
-Rest
-Sleep Talk

As hopefully you all could have guessed, my rain dance team starts out with kyogre. Sleep talk deals with all those annoying darkrai. Not really that much to say, honestly, pretty standard all around. I try to preserve kyogre well so that in case a groudon or tyranitar switches in later I can switch back kyogre in.

Ludicolo @ Leftovers
Rain Dish
252 HP / 40 Def / 216 Sp. Def
Calm
-Leech Seed
-Grass Knot
-Ice Beam
-Protect

Ludicolo is here because of how well he can stall/annoy opponents. He's the newest addition to the team, so I haven't yet been able to test him extensively. However, so far he's done well. He can easily come in on most special attackers, most notably kyogre, set up leech seed, and stall with protect + leech seed, lefties, and rain dish. Ice Beam over Toxic so that he's not a sitting duck against pokemon who resist grass like dialga and lati@s.

Kingdra @ Life Orb
Swift Swim
80 Att / 252 Sp. Att / 176 Speed
Mild
-Surf
-Waterfall
-Outrage
-Draco Meteor

Obviously, a staple on a rain-based ubers team. Even with comparitively lackluster stats, kingdra simply wreaks havoc since it basically outspeeds almost everything that you will expect to find besides scarf darkrai, skymin, and mewtwo. Even with redundant type coverage, only the once-in-a-blue-moon empoleon and the rare shedinja can resist water/dragon. Kingdra can either attack from the physical side or from the special side, depending on the lower defensive stat of the opposing pokemon. Kingdra is usually able to defeat at least one pokemon and is an excellent revenge killer.

Latias @ Soul Dew
Levitate
112 HP / 204 Sp. Att / 192 Speed
Timid
-Calm Mind
-Dragon Pulse
-Grass Knot
-Recover

Latias is here because of her excellent special defensive capabilities and because she resists thunder and grass knot, two attacks super effective to water types, and I have 4 water types. Latias comes in on most special attackers like kyogre and palkia and can either set up numerous calm minds or OHKO with dragon pulse. 192 speed allows latias to outspeed max speed non-scarfed garchomp.

Scizor @ Life Orb
Technician
176 HP / 100 Att / 232 Sp. Def
Adamant
-Bullet Punch
-Roost
-Pursuit
-U-turn

Scizor is my bulky steel type who also can put up some decent offense. Pursuit can trap a lot of annoying threats like Lati@s, as well as being able to deal damage to shedinja. Scizor helps against the common dragon-type attacks in ubers and can heal off damage with roost. His defenses aren't the greatest so I'm considering switching him to a forretress since he can set up SR and can tank much better even without reliable healing.

Palkia @ Choice Scarf
Pressure
4 Att / 252 Sp. Att / 252 Speed
Hasty
-Surf
-Spacial Rend
-Thunder
-Outrage

Palkia is my revenge killer and deals with DD ray and lati@s. Even though he has the same typing and almost the same typed moves as kingdra, I feel that they are both very powerful and potent threats and basically duplicating them makes it more easy to take down a team. I'm still testing this scarf version, so I don't have much to say about it yet.

So that's my team. This is one of my first RMT's so I'm not very good at it.

Oh and by the way right now this team is rated 1500 on shoddy. Not saying that that's good or bad or whatever, just saying that's what it is.

Hello.

First off i would like to ask why your kyogre has a speed IV of 30? If you play on shoddy you can have perfect IVS so this shouldnt happen unless its wifi

Scizors EVS are wacko. 22evs dont work as it isnt divisible by 4 ..go with the standard uber trapper set with roost /bullet punch/ pursuit/ u-turn with 248hp/100atk/176spdef IIRC

Your team needs a solid revenge killer IMO so i recomend scarfing palkia

Other than that nice team, Hope i helped

Kyogre has an iv of 30 so that against a lead groudon with 0 speed ev's and an iv of 31, kyogre is slower so the rain will be set up. I might change scizor to forretress, though, since I need a SR user plus forretress can hit shedinja and is more defensive. Palkia I like with the freedom to change attacks. Kingdra can do pretty much what scarf palkia can do except revenge kill DD ray, so I might scarf palkia because I have problems with DD ray, but I'm not sure.

Thanks for feedback.

I'd recommend a bulkier set on Kyogre. Why you ask? Its because its the only thing setting up rain, so you would want it to last as much as possible. I recommend shifting some of those SpeA EV's into Def or SpeD your preference. As declanp said you should scarf your Palkia cause you really need a revenger. I'd change Aqua Tail to Fire Blast to get the hit on Shedinja and that you can also get the Sunny Day boost from Groudon and use it to your advantage.

Why the speed evs on scizor? Its so slow it won't be outspeeding anything in Ubers, so transfer those EVs into attack or Def, or SpeD. 22 isn't divisible by 4 so you can only get 20 evs out of those.

Hope I helped.

I think the whole two dragon/water mixed sweepers thing is a great idea. Although, I'd like to know how you deal with rayquaza, SD or DD. Once it sets up, it outspeeds everything on your team, i think, and does massive damage with outrage or overheat on scizor. Considering the lack of setup sweepers you have, plus the rain that's provided, mitigating his fire weakness, maybe scizor could run a bulky SD set. It could retain U-turn, because the ability to scout switches is important to this team, especially since scizor lures in some groudons.

maybe the latias could be switched to a scarfer. I don't know how many defense EVs would be needed to make it survive a +2 extremespeed from rayquaza, but it seems feasible. It could potentially run surf as well, for the rain, but i feel that that would be a little redundant, coverage-wise.

As for scizor, i'm not entirely sure what role it's playing.

EDIT: Also, latias does play a good role, but I'd like to point out that, despite the fact that you have four water types, only one is actually hit super effective by thunder and grass knot.

Ok, I'll scarf palkia. However, I was thinking about switching scizor to forretress and making that my lead looking something like this:

Forretress @ leftovers
Sturdy
252 HP / ?
Relaxed
-Stealth Rock
-Gyro Ball
-Payback
-Explosion

And yea, I am going to make kyogre a resttalk set.

im going to recommened that you put scarf dialga over scizor, it helps with your rayquayza problem and gives your team a "failsafe" if rain is not down for some reason.

The only problem with that is that DD ray outspeeds scarf dialga after one DD and probably OHKO'es with earthquake.

What do you guys think about the forretress or should I just give palkia fire blast to deal with shedinja?

WHy not give Scizor pursuit even...i lets you trap alot of ubers + hurt sheddy..and you dont lose your way of beat bliss with palkia. Its a win-win situation the way i see it

Ok, I'm changing him to this:
Scizor @ Life Orb
Technician
176 HP / 100 Att / 232 Sp. Def
Adamant
-Bullet Punch
-Roost
-Pursuit
-U-turn

Also, I scarfed palkia and made kyogre a resttalker. However, I don't know whether I should use thunder or ice beam.

Well I would have to say that Ice Beam provides better coverage. Why? Its because it hits Dialga for neutral. You don't have a reliable counter to Dialga. You need some fighting or ground moves on your team.

I realized that if you add Subsitute onto Ludicolo in the rain with Rain Dish it can be a Rain Version of Stall-Rein. With Leech Seed, Grass Knot, Subsitute, and Protect, it can stall out. With Leftovers regaining 1/16 Hp and Rain Dish regaining 1/16 Hp and Leech Seed regaining 1/8 Hp or 2/16 Hp/. 1/16+1/16+2/16= 4/16= 1/4. That means you can Leech Seed, Sub, Protect, to regain all the Subbed health back, or go for the Grass Knot. The only concern would be that you lose the neutral on Dialga and SE on Lugia.

yea but my opponent could easily switch in a groudon or whatever and rain doesn't damage so I wouldn't really be able to do anything. I'm considering changing ludicolo, he doesn't really do all that much.

If you don't want Ludi, I'd recommend a Mixed-Dialga or Coverage Sweeper Mewtwo. Mixed Dialga can take care of Fortress with Fire Blast. Maybe your saying "Fire Blast??!! But thats bad in the rain!" Yeah though that might be, it also gets powered up in the Sun so you can hit on both sides of the weather. It can 2HKO Groudon if its faster. Mewtwo provides amazing coverage and Thunder gets 100% accuracy, Aura Sphere hits Dialga and can basically kill all types of Dialga except for Bulk-Up-Res-Talk versions, which SpeD is maxed. Selfdetruc makes sure you go out with a bang, if not killing a poke, at least weakning it enough so Palkia or Kingdra comes in and revenges.

I would personallly recommend a Mix-Dialga. Why? Even though Mewtwo is insanely fast and powerful, it's defenses are not so good. Dialga with its above average defenses and great typing is better. Mewtwo gets destroyed by Scizor. Basically Pursuit kills it if it runs away. If it doesn't Bullet Punch will. But Dialga resists both and is faster so can OHKO with Fire Blast. Though Self-Destruct is very appealing to any team. So I would say Dialga is better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)