Gen 6 Simple Questions, Simple Answers (XY Ubers Edition - read before posting a thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want an EV spread for my Aegislash, please. I run 4 Hp / 252 atk / 252 def.
Well, due to its low HP and high defenses, you should always invest in HP befire putting anything in Defense. Besides that i cant help without knowing its moves or the role you want it to play.

EDIT: ninjad

I'm thinking of getting into the Ubers Metagame but I don't know where to start. Is there a good core I can use to get my feet wet? If not a core then a good Mon to build a team around will do.

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'm thinking of getting into the Ubers Metagame but I don't know where to start. Is there a good core I can use to get my feet wet? If not a core then a good Mon to build a team around will do.
Most people generally start with EKiller Arceus teams I suppose since it's really threatening and not too hard to use on ladder. A sun core (Groudon,Ho-Oh,Palkia) with Defog support isn't a bad place to start either. Just make sure you have the major threats checked (Kyogre, Arceus-Normal, Xerneas) on your initial team and you'll learn through playing pretty well!

Most people generally start with EKiller Arceus teams I suppose since it's really threatening and not too hard to use on ladder. A sun core (Groudon,Ho-Oh,Palkia) with Defog support isn't a bad place to start either. Just make sure you have the major threats checked (Kyogre, Arceus-Normal, Xerneas) on your initial team and you'll learn through playing pretty well!
Alright, I'll give that a shot. Thanks!

252 HP/16 Atk/240 SDef is superior IMO, with a Sassy nature. Aegislash is going to be taking primarily special hits so you want to maximize special bulk.
Thanks. I'm using Sacred Sword/Iron Head/Swords Dance/King's Shield as an attacker, intended to resist the 1st hit w/ Shield Form while Swords Dancing and then attacking, is this moveset good?

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Thanks. I'm using Sacred Sword/Iron Head/Swords Dance/King's Shield as an attacker, intended to resist the 1st hit w/ Shield Form while Swords Dancing and then attacking, is this moveset good?
Do not use KS + SD, not only will your coverage suck, but aegis lacks all the qualities of a good sweeper (fast, recovery or bulk). No idea why ou people like it so much tbh, you're better off going KS + iron head + shadow claw/sneak/ball + a filler move of your choice, good options are toxic, head smash and sacred sword.

Uuum, imma have to disagree with Haruno on the moveset. To me, King's Sheild/Gyro Ball/Sacred Sword/Rock Slide or Head Smash or Toxic is generally the superior moveset.

blitzlefan

shake it off!
Hey, just out of curiosity, are we going to have a viability ranking thread this generation, or are we just waiting for PokeBank to be officially released to start a project like that?

So why is Blaziken all across the board banned regardless of ability when Pokemon like Octillery and Bibarel get to be used in NU with another ability?

I've heard the "complicated bans are bad" argument, and that in and of itself is a lousy argument when other Pokemon get away scott free.

Why not just ban Speed Boost? It's clearly the issue, not Blaziken. Hate the sin, love the sinner, and all that.

Because lumping Blaze Blaziken into Ubers is all kinds of stupid.

So why is Blaziken all across the board banned regardless of ability when Pokemon like Octillery and Bibarel get to be used in NU with another ability?

I've heard the "complicated bans are bad" argument, and that in and of itself is a lousy argument when other Pokemon get away scott free.

Why not just ban Speed Boost? It's clearly the issue, not Blaziken. Hate the sin, love the sinner, and all that.

Because lumping Blaze Blaziken into Ubers is all kinds of stupid.
Because complex bans are bad.

Never make a complex ban when a simple one will do. No one would ever even use Blaze Blaziken anyways, so it's kinda pointless to make a complex ban when that's not an issue.

If you want to ban Speed Boost you are banning Ninjask and Scolipede. And Blaziken is good because Speed Boost allows him to sweep, whereas Ninjask and Scolipede can't sweep.

Whereas with Moody the entire ability is banned because every user of it is uncompetitive. You want to ban Smeargle, Octillery, Glalie, and Bibarel from OU? Fuck no.

Except Speed Boost is almost as bad as Moody, if not worse because of its easy predictability.

Banning Speed Boost is by no means a "complex ban". Ban the ability. Nuff said.

That means Yanmega and Scolipede have to use abilities that aren't incredibly unfair and can't be abused with Protect/Baton Pass.

Oh the horror.

This is honestly the wrong subforums to ask about this. We play ubers so that means we don't give two shits about what OU bans and will likely not be able to explain it fully to you. (yes I'm ignoring the players that play both but you get the point)

Then what would be the right place to ask? Because I don't know if I could accurately predict where a Blaze Blaziken would land.

Except Speed Boost is almost as bad as Moody, if not worse because of its easy predictability.

Banning Speed Boost is by no means a "complex ban". Ban the ability. Nuff said.

That means Yanmega and Scolipede have to use abilities that aren't incredibly unfair and can't be abused with Protect/Baton Pass.

Oh the horror.
As if Yanmega or Ninjask could do anything in OU lol.

Or Scolipede, for that matter.

Speed Boost actually needs skill to play, especially in OU.

Then what would be the right place to ask? Because I don't know if I could accurately predict where a Blaze Blaziken would land.
The OU subforum has a thread, and Blaze Blaziken is Ubers. Even if we had complex bans it would probably be as low as RU so there's really no point in keeping it.

There is for people who like it and have strategies for it. If you're going to ban a Pokemon because it would be low tier, might as well ban Farfetch'd while you're at it.

Also, those other Speed Boosters would have to be knocked out of OU.

Oh no. So sad.

Okay stop talking about blaziken's ban here. It's OU that banned (obviously) it so that would be the subforum to ask in.

Furai

we will become who we are meant to be
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I'd like to add that Smogon tries to avoid complex bans. I am bringing this up because it has a small relation to Ubers (clause testing of late gen 5) and that's why Blaziken is Uber. We either ban the Pokemon, the ability, the move, or the item as a whole, except for very rare occasions (Swift Swim + Drizzle on the same team in last gen). With that explained I'd like to request you all to follow the rules and not bring up OU in this sub forum. Thanks.

e: damn I'm too slow, at least i clarified everything tho
You just suck, couldn't even put a space between "at least" ):< ~MM2
Hi! - Fireburn

Last edited by a moderator:
How come moody is still banned in ubers, wasn't it banned as part of the evasion clause? Or is the ability to get a random stat to good even without the ban on evasion boosting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)