Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

What's on the radar in terms of banworthy stuff in OU right now? What happened to previous stuff on the radar (Kingambit, Gholdengo, Roaring Moon, etc. but I'm mostly curious about Gholdengo)?

What's on the radar in terms of banworthy stuff in OU right now? What happened to previous stuff on the radar (Kingambit, Gholdengo, Roaring Moon, etc. but I'm mostly curious about Gholdengo)?
Gouging Fire, Kyurem, Sleep as a whole, Roaring Moon are the main problems people have right now. Kingambit, Gholdengo, Volcarona and Gliscor are also on people's radar but to a much lesser extent than the first 4 things.

But overall the meta is in a largely stable state that doesn't actually really need much (if any) balancing.

What are the requirements for being able to vote on suspect tests?
The requirements will be on the suspect test thread as below (taken from the Gliscor suspect back in October):
  • Reading this is mandatory for participating in the suspect test!!! The voting requirements are a minimum GXE of 80 with at least 50 games played. In addition, you may play 1 less game for every 0.2 GXE you have above 80 GXE, down to a minimum of 30 games at a GXE of 84. Also, needing more than 50 games to reach 80 GXE will suffice.

How is the GXE calculated?
Here is the thread that shows the logic behind GXE

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...layers-overall-rating-than-shoddys-cre.51169/

I asked this on Discord, imma post here too:

Is there an example of a grassy terrain team out now? I'm trying toake one, but I'm having trouble preparing for this meta's current threats.

Alsoa bit lost on the overall direction. I wanna do Balance (or bulky offense), tried things like spikes,but had no clear wincon

Is there an example of a grassy terrain team out now? I'm trying toake one, but I'm having trouble preparing for this meta's current threats.

Alsoa bit lost on the overall direction. I wanna do Balance (or bulky offense), tried things like spikes,but had no clear wincon
Maybe a bulky Kingambit set could be good as a wincon on grass as it doesn't need to fear earthquake as much in grassy terrain.

What are the requirements for being able to vote on suspect tests? How is the GXE calculated?
Win many games while barely losing any. We talking numbers around 38 wins and 6 loses aprox. but this changes, lower wins need way less loses and higher wins can afford higher number of defeats

Not the greatest player/builder myself but I imagine you're team at a minimum is looking like Rilla + Hawlucha and then from there you're going to add hazards, hazard control, and then wallbreakers + scarfers to open holes for Lucha and have a revenge threat outside of grassy glide. I would look at the usage stats while putting it together so you can try and have these 4 mons deal with high % meta threats

I'm considering getting back into gen 9ou,
And I am wondering if there is some general resource to get catched up on the current state of the meta
Or at the very least, something similar in nature.

Is removing an entire mechanic that is literally part of the core of the game something that can really be justified the way it did?
Fast mon used risky move (Hypnosis)
Risky move paid off
The player made a risk, but it was worth it, sometimes it won't be successful.
In every other gen starting from gen 3 at least, the scenario of Breloom going against a slower Pokémon has always been there.
"Which Pokemon should I let take the Spore" has always been a thing
Be it Breloom Amoongus or something else
It's part of the game's decision-making
You could even build your team with a Lum Berry or an Insomnia Pokémon

So what's going on?

does sharpness affect "mighty cleave"?

bulbapedia does not mention anything but it would be weird if it didn't affect it.
It does. From Bulbapedia: "Mighty Cleave inflicts damage. It bypasses the effects of Protect, Detect, Spiky Shield, King's Shield, Baneful Bunker, Silk Trap, and Burning Bulwark, but does not lift the effects of these moves. If used by a Pokémon with Sharpness, its power is increased by 50%."

does sharpness affect "mighty cleave"?

bulbapedia does not mention anything but it would be weird if it didn't affect it.
Yes it does. On the bulbapedia page for the move mighty cleave, it actually says, on only one line, that "if the move mighty cleave is used by a apokemon with sharpness, its power is increased by 50%".

So with smeargle effectively loosing spore how does he stack up as a sticky web user? I assume it's not a big loss given the countless other options and priorities the lead set has Vs other leads. Still smeargle Vs ribombee sticky web user thoughts?

In every other gen starting from gen 3 at least, the scenario of Breloom going against a slower Pokémon has always been there.
"Which Pokemon should I let take the Spore" has always been a thing
Be it Breloom Amoongus or something else
It's part of the game's decision-making
There are dozens of pages of discussion you can go read to better understand the decision, but the simplest answer is that the decision making process you described isn't part of Pokemon. It's part of Pokemon as played on Showdown with Sheep Clause Mod active. Otherwise that Breloom is free to Spore your entire team.

The only thing keeping sleep in check was a mod that also prevented the dominant format from being playable on cart. That same mod proved insufficient to the task of keeping sleep in check. So folks decided that they would rather solve three problems (balancing sleep, making the meta playable on cart, and eliminating a longstanding rule that is incompatible with modern tiering practices) rather than continue suspecting/banning 'mons simply to preserve a volatile status quo.

Aight, lemme preface by saying that I am not complaining on this, as anything that makes Vileplume usable is better in my eyes, but, due to policy and what I read over the sleep banning thread, why is Dire Claw and Effect Spore allowed?

In my eyes, those two are major culprits in distorting cart purity. On cart Dire Claw can comatose as many mons as it selects. On Showdown, it'll outright refuse to select it, citing sleep clause. Sleep Clause was so powerful it altered the game itself!

Again,I'm perfectly fine with grandfather clausing them in (they've been here a while, don't bother with it is what I mean by that), but that's been bugging me.

In my eyes, those two are major culprits in distorting cart purity. On cart Dire Claw can comatose as many mons as it selects. On Showdown, it'll outright refuse to select it, citing sleep clause. Sleep Clause was so powerful it altered the game itself!

Again,I'm perfectly fine with grandfather clausing them in (they've been here a while, don't bother with it is what I mean by that), but that's been bugging me.
Sleep Clause Mod is no longer in effect, so the disparity with cart is no longer a thing -- meaning, with a high level of luck, you could sleep an entire opposing team with Effect Spore/Dire Claw/Relic Song. These moves/abilities are allowed because that is the status quo with the existing Sleep Move Clause used by several other metas (most notably Gen5 OU), making it the simplest path forward from a policy perspective. Moreover, the likelihood of them becoming problematic is exceptionally low as you can't build a viable strategy around them.

Also, I would double check with the whole "Showdown won't let you click Dire Claw" thing. You could always *select* multiple Sleep Moves in a row, Sleep Clause Mod would just prevent the sleep effect.

Sleep Clause Mod is no longer in effect, so the disparity with cart is no longer a thing -- meaning, with a high level of luck, you could sleep an entire opposing team with Effect Spore/Dire Claw/Relic Song. These moves/abilities are allowed because that is the status quo with the existing Sleep Move Clause used by several other metas (most notably Gen5 OU), making it the simplest path forward from a policy perspective. Moreover, the likelihood of them becoming problematic is exceptionally low as you can't build a viable strategy around them.

Also, I would double check with the whole "Showdown won't let you click Dire Claw" thing. You could always *select* multiple Sleep Moves in a row, Sleep Clause Mod would just prevent the sleep effect.
Oh boy, I just woke up, I didn't mean to type it like that, I meant "refuses to select sleep as a status option in that scenario". What I had wrote read nothing like that at all! From how we used to have it, Dire Claw should have been treated as a Sleep move (un-selectable after the sleep proc) and Effect Spore banned.

And that's...crazy. I really woke up to some wild Poke news today! Looks like I can feel a little less silly running Vileplume over Amoongus

Hello!
Can somebody explain this Ttar set on the Dex?

Tyranitar @ Smooth Rock
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 24 SpA / 216 SpD
Tera Type: Flying
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Ice Beam
- Taunt

What benchmarks the EV spread achieves and also, why Taunt?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)