Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
What is the DD set? DD, Outrage/DClaw, EQ, Tera Blast/Other Coverage. Life orb, Adamant 252 atk/4 spD/252 spe? Or would you run more bulk over speed investment since your aiming to set up with DD.
:Regidrago:
Regidrago @ Leftovers / Life Orb / Dragon Fang
Ability: Dragon's Maw
Tera Type: Dragon / Steel
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Outrage / Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Substitute / Thunder Fang / Tera Blast
- Dragon Dance

Something like this shoutout to Loginator

I'm trying to build a TR team, posted it in the Trainer Academy chat in PS and basically got mocked. What are the staples of TR this gen? I'm running HW Hat, Boots Glowking, Specs Enam-T, SP Cress, IronPress H-Goodra and QCQD Glowbro. Ofc I wanna add stuff like Luna and what not, but I don't know how to make TR consistent.
the most often seen staples in TR are Cresselia, Hatterene and Ursaluna, which you have all got. Specs Enam is also used a lot, but you might want to use LO rather not to waste TR turns. here's a set:

Enamorus-Therian (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Overcoat
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Mystical Fire
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Healing Wish / Grass Knot

SP Cress is also not very good, you'd be better using a support set with Healing Wish, Trick Room, and two of Psychic, Ice Beam, Calm Mind and Tera Blast (Fighting). Fighting tera is an emergency button I like to use against Kingambit endgames as it's very unexpected.

Iron Press Goodra is not very good in TR, as you have only 4 attacking turns: you thus need to be able to do a lot of damage really quickly. My personal pick is often Kingambit, either with Lum Berry or Black Glasses and Swords Dance. You can also drop Sucker Punch for Low Kick, even if I usually don't.

Glowbro is quite useless, it doesn’t hit very hard and Quick Claw is useless as you’ll hit first anw.

Other Pokémon fitting in TR are Iron Hands, Hoopa-Unbound and Glastrier with Tera.

Last edited:
I had a question, I know it's not "meta" but if I wanted to use Regidrago what kinds of sets would folk recommend? I know on the physical side it gets DD, Outrage and EQ and on the special side Earth Power and Meteor, is there a preference? Also unrelated what item and tera would one run on H. Electrode, should I just run Ice and treat it as a diet zero cal eleki?
Drago has had a couple sets posted, so I'll throw in a link to the old Metagame thread where our boy Morkal went over Kantonian-Electrode, as it includes an addendum for Hisuian Electrode and mentions it's more or less the same-but-better for the niche described there.

It's hyper specific but there are ways to play with it that look quite interesting, just be aware the post-Home Meta has probably changed things slightly with both new additions and some old bans like Volcarona (pending next Survey) and is subject to change from any other upcoming tiering action.

Electrode

0101Electrode.png

"Electrode tends to live in power plants where fresh electricity is being generated, which it consumes. As a result, it often causes blackouts. The more electric energy Electrode consumes, the faster it moves." - Bulbapedia

"Electrode having the propensity to explode describes my mental state after finishing finals last semester" - Morkal

Would you say torn-t is underrated, underexplored, or underwhelming. It definitely seems quite good still despite the infamous bleakwind/hurricane/heat wave misses, even if it losing knock off hurts.

It feels underexplored at the moment, and I am sure it will find its way back into OU if it drops to UU.

awyp

is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Would you say torn-t is underrated, underexplored, or underwhelming. It definitely seems quite good still despite the infamous bleakwind/hurricane/heat wave misses, even if it losing knock off hurts.

It feels underexplored at the moment, and I am sure it will find its way back into OU if it drops to UU.
A regen mon will always find its way, I think when it comes to other mons in the tier it is underexplored. I do believe it will eventually rise the meta just needs to settle a little bit. It losing Defog was a big deal.

the most often seen staples in TR are Cresselia, Hatterene and Ursaluna, which you have all got. Specs Enam is also used a lot, but you might want to use LO rather not to waste TR turns. here's a set:

Enamorus-Therian (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Overcoat
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Mystical Fire
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Healing Wish / Grass Knot

SP Cress is also not very good, you'd be better using a support set with Healing Wish, Trick Room, and two of Psychic, Ice Beam, Calm Mind and Tera Blast (Fighting). Fighting tera is an emergency button I like to use against Kingambit endgames as it's very unexpected.

Iron Press Goodra is not very good in TR, as you have only 4 attacking turns: you thus need to be able to do a lot of damage really quickly. My personal pick is often Kingambit, either with Lum Berry or Black Glasses and Swords Dance. You can also drop Sucker Punch for Low Kick, even if I usually don't.

Glowbro is quite useless, it doesn’t hit very hard and Quick Claw is useless as you’ll hit first anw.

Other Pokémon fitting in TR are Iron Hands, Hoopa-Unbound and Glastrier with Tera.
Thank you for your reply, much appreciated!

I like that Enam set! Gonna try it out :)

I think I'm settling with this:

-LO Enam-T
-Hatterene as TR setter 1
-Cress like you recommended as TR setter 2
-Ursaluna with Trailblaze in order to work out of TR too?
-Kingambit
-Still Glowking as TR setter 3? or Garg then or AV Muk-A as a discount Sneasler

And QCQD Glowbro is just a personal darling of mine, it's very cheesy but I love him, but I know it's not gonna take me far

awyp

Thank you for your reply, much appreciated!

I like that Enam set! Gonna try it out :)

I think I'm settling with this:

-LO Enam-T
-Kingambit

And QCQD Glowbro is just a personal darling of mine, it's very cheesy but I love him, but I know it's not gonna take me far
I think if youre going full trick room like you said having 3 setters, you should definitely just make Ursaluna be Swords Dance + Facade + Headlong Rush + Fire Punch

I'm willing to say even if Tornadus-T fails to find OU usage, there is a place for it in OU. The Metagame is very offensive right now in favor of its Pivoting ability, and while it lost some progress-forcing moves, Flying-Type Offense is pretty rare even after Home (only major users of Flying STAB being the Zapdos's, who encroach on each others' usage, Galarian Moltres, and some Tera users like Sneasler, Lan) while having some very significant targets if only for Neutral coverage vs most of the tier right now.

Are there any decent spinners or hazard control that isn't the Bird and the Elephant?
I'm still curious to see if anyone can pull something off with the other Elephant.

What's the best place to find info on how to build teams?

Like a guide or just general advice because right now I want to try bulding teams but am a bit lost.

Would you say torn-t is underrated, underexplored, or underwhelming.
Underrated and underexplored, honestly. As AndViet said, a mon with Regenerator always finds a way, and this isn't the first time (or even the second time, honestly) that Torn-T began a generation underrated and then became a top-tier threat.

Torn-T was slept on early in ORAS if I recall correctly, and didn't receive a lot of usage in SM initially either, AND I don't recall it being an A+ rank threat early on in Crown Tundra SS OU either. Yet nowadays, Torn-T is the 3rd best mon in ORAS OU, a top 6 threat in SM OU, and a solid A+ rank threat in SS OU.

So yeah, honestly, even without its old movepool Torn will still be really good long-term. But if it ends up getting Knock/Defog back later on it'll definitely skyrocket to becoming a top-tier threat, potentially even one of the best mons in the tier again.

awyp

Are there any "viable" screen setters outside of dragapult, klefki and grimsnarl?
There a lot of viable ones, but at that level you just listed with priority on screens / being the fastest mon in the tier outside Booster Energy / Scarf Boosted no those are the best 3.

-LO Enam-T
-Kingambit
Ive found running Hatterene and Glowking are find, Cress is too much of a liability with everyone and their mother either running Gambit or H-Samurott.

I wanna try Bax out in a Screens balance team, but I'm also utilizing Grassy Terrain. I know Bax likes to have EQ. Any way to make this work, or should I simply get used to not using EQ when my terrain is up? I mean it's Bax he has plenty, but fuck Dengo.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
I wanna try Bax out in a Screens balance team, but I'm also utilizing Grassy Terrain. I know Bax likes to have EQ. Any way to make this work, or should I simply get used to not using EQ when my terrain is up? I mean it's Bax he has plenty, but fuck Dengo.
You can ditch EQ and go SD shard rush crash if you support it well enough

Why does Hydregion immediately go to UUBL?I know it’s already been banned this gen but UU is a completely different metagame from what it was a few months ago.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)