Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

agslash23

Banned deucer.
Ik how it works just need an example using mons and general idea
Thing is that there're no viable user of Parting Shot in SS OU Singles. Incineroar might be the best one perhaps, but it has tons of issues to be viable.

I think a use case could be that Incineroar switches into something it could check, like Dragapult locked into Shadow Ball. Then the Dragapult switches out next turn, and an Incineroar check like Tapu Fini switches in, Incineroar clicks Parting Shot to switch out after reducing Fini's offense stats. Then something that appreciates a Fini weak on power like Garchomp, Moltres-Galar, Weakness Policy Dragon Dance Dragapult can come in and start to set up.

Thing is that there're no viable user of Parting Shot in SS OU Singles. Incineroar might be the best one perhaps, but it has tons of issues to be viable.

I think a use case could be that Incineroar switches into something it could check, like Dragapult locked into Shadow Ball. Then the Dragapult switches out next turn, and an Incineroar check like Tapu Fini switches in, Incineroar clicks Parting Shot to switch out after reducing Fini's offense stats. Then something that appreciates a Fini weak on power like Garchomp, Moltres-Galar, Weakness Policy Dragon Dance Dragapult can come in and start to set up.
Tysm! This was the reply I was looking for.

tzaur

فلسطين حرة
is a Tiering Contributor
Is there a way to somewhat accurately determine whether a Tran set is standard SpDef or a potential choice item set by looking at team preview to mitigate the chances of getting nuked by an unexpected Eruption?

Edit: In general, are there any guides on analyzing team preview?

airfare

is a Tutoris a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
OUPL Champion
unfortunately inferences like this require the assumption that ur opponent's team is built coherently which isn't always true but:

on ho if u see tran there's like a 95% chance it's going to be offensive rocks
1643565369980.png
1643565532900.png

on bo offensive tran usually almost always has another steel alongside to help absorb attacks from pult/fairies.
if u don't see another spdef steel there's a higher probability it's spdef
1643566547614.png
1643565771375.png
(no, corv cannot take on clef/lele alone)

while if there is another steel/stronger pult answer it's likely offensive: the steel partner often ends up being melm on teams looking like this
1643566380115.png
1643566649351.png

team preview analysis is a lot easier if u know what to look for. learning typical defensive structures and figuring out where hazards/removal are placed makes it a lot easier to determine each mon's set

Attachments

ironwater

⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Also what dragon and fairy pair well with fero on a fairy dragon steel core? them being spdef ghost or spdef flying weak is fine btw
Some offensive Pokemon who easily force switches like Tapu Lele and Dragapult can be good Ferrothorn's partners because they benefit from its ability to set Spikes. Defensively, Tapu Fini is a great partner for Ferrothorn as it can check things like Heatran and Urshifu-R and appreciate Ferrothorn ability to check Tapu Koko, Tapu Lele and to prevent Kartana from mindlessly clicking Leaf Blade.

Also what dragon and fairy pair well with fero on a fairy dragon steel core? them being spdef ghost or spdef flying weak is fine btw
To add onto what ironwater said, Stealth Rock variants of Garchomp are great partners for hazard stacking builds as Garchomp can cripple pretty much every defogger with Toxic and Fire coverage and continuously forces chip damage on Defog Landorus-T with either. Ferrothorn also compensates Garchomp's lackluster matchup vs Tapu Koko while Garchomp is better at dealing with Heatran and Volcarona than Landorus-T is.

Tapu Fini complements this core pretty well with its ability to take on Air Balloon Heatran, Dragapult, Blacephalon, Urshifu and Weavile. It also protects Garchomp from Defog Landorus-T's Toxic allowing you to safely cripple it with your own since Landorus-T hovers above Misty Terrain.

Honestly, a core with Ferrothorn, Garchomp, Tapu Fini and Zapdos will anchor your team pretty well while Spikes and Stealth Rock chip at your opponent, you punish contact tremendously and Taunt Tapu Fini + Zapdos are well poised to thwart pretty much every relevant form of hazard removal.

ironwater

⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
What are some "niche" mons that can be really good in OU if their niche is fulfilled?
To be fair there's a lot of niche mons who can put some work in the tier, but for most of them it's because, as they are not common, people are less prepared to face them. An example to answer your question of niche Pokemon working well when their niche is fulfilled is all the Trick Room mons (Alolan Marowak, Cresselia, Porygon2...) even though Trick Room is not the strong playstyle.

Now, if I must cite a few niche Pokemon I found pretty good while testing, I would say that Toxtricity can be a niche pick with a Choice Specs set, as it's a pretty underated wallbreaker, able to threaten Landorus-T. Suicune is also pretty niche, but I think that it's an underated sweeper with its Sub/Protect/CM set. Last one I would cite is Aegislash, who can run a lot of different sets, going from defensive with Sub/Toxic to Specs or Swords Dance. In particular, I really like the defensive utility it can bring, being a pseudo switch-in to thinks like Tapu Lele. (this is only based on my own experience though)

I have a question:If wobbufet in ou is possible?
Wobbuffet is completely useless in OU because Shadow Tag is banned, meaning you can only use it with Telepathy and against a good player, they will not fall for Counter or Mirror Coat and will just endlessly switch between their Pokemon and heal back their whole team while Wobbuffet seats there doing nothing.

Last edited:
To be fair there's a lot of niche mons who can put some work in the tier, but for most of them it's because, as they are not common, people are less prepared to face them. An example to answer your question of niche Pokemon working well when their niche is fulfilled is all the Trick Room mons (Alolan Marowak, Cresselia, Porygon2...) even though Trick Room is not the strong playstyle.

Now, if I must cite a few niche Pokemon I found pretty good while testing, I would say that Toxtricity can be a niche pick with a Choice Specs set, as it's a pretty underated wallbreaker, able to threaten Landorus-T. Suicune is also pretty niche, but I think that it's an underated sweeper with its Sub/Protect/CM set. Last one I would cite is Aegislash, who can run a lot of different sets, going from defensive with Sub/Toxic to Specs or Swords Dance. In particular, I really like the defensive utility it can bring, being a pseudo switch-in to thinks like Tapu Lele. (this is only based on my own experience though)

Wobbuffet is completely useless in OU because Shadow Tag is banned, meaning you can only use it with Telepathy and against a good player, they will not fall for Counter or Mirror Coat and will just endlessly switch between their Pokemon and heal back their whole team while Wobbuffet seats there doing nothing.
*cries* ok so im gonna use pyukumuku

Now, if I must cite a few niche Pokemon I found pretty good while testing, I would say that Toxtricity can be a niche pick with a Choice Specs set, as it's a pretty underated wallbreaker, able to threaten Landorus-T. Suicune is also pretty niche, but I think that it's an underated sweeper with its Sub/Protect/CM set. Last one I would cite is Aegislash, which can run a lot of different sets, going from defensive with Sub/Toxic to Specs or Swords Dance. In particular, I really like the defensive utility it can bring, being a pseudo switch-in to thinks like Tapu Lele. (this is only based on my own experience though)

Wobbuffet is completely useless in OU because Shadow Tag is banned, meaning you can only use it with Telepathy and against a good player, they will not fall for Counter or Mirror Coat and can just endlessly switch between their Pokemon and heal back their whole team while Wobbuffet seats there doing nothing.
Thanks! I've checked out Toxtricity before, but with a Shift Gear set, not a Specs one, so I'll try that. Personally I've never thought about Suicune that much, will have to try that too. And I have to agree, Aegislash is definitely very cool, as it has a unique typing that's good both offensively and defensively, and it has a lot of viable sets.

TR is also a cool playstyle, though it never really clicked with me, so I can't say much about it.

I've also heard Volcanion is a really good sleeper pick in OU. I see some Flame Orb Milotics here and there, but the set personally is kinda weird to me.

Colin

formerly BeardedDrakon
is a Tiering Contributor
LCPL Champion
I know rain used to run the peli-skewda-ferro-zapdos shell with an abuser, rocker, and ground type filler, but now I see more rocky helmet ferro. what are the other most common adaptations to the meta?

heya, im too young for the chatrooms, so im asking here: what is the best way to get rid of a belly drum+extreme speed linoone? or at least prevent it? i heard that queenly majesty tsareena helps or just a taunt, but i want more options. anyone?

heya, im too young for the chatrooms, so im asking here: what is the best way to get rid of a belly drum+extreme speed linoone? or at least prevent it? i heard that queenly majesty tsareena helps or just a taunt, but i want more options. anyone?
Ghosts priotrity steels. What tier is this?

I know rain used to run the peli-skewda-ferro-zapdos shell with an abuser, rocker, and ground type filler, but now I see more rocky helmet ferro. what are the other most common adaptations to the meta?
:Seismitoad:Seismitoad is great on Rain teams due to compressing Ground typing and Stealth Rock, all while being a Swift Swim abuser to throw powerful Rain boosted Weather Balls around, backed by a STAB Earth Power to destroy Toxapex and still dent other common bulky Water types. Alternatively to Stealth Rock, Seismitoad can lure sturdy Water resists like bulky Dragonites with Icy Wind.

:Moltres-galar: Galarian Moltres is a nice addition to Rain teams since it abuses Dragapult - a tough Pokémon to switch into otherwise - and helps Rain defensively and offensively deal with OU's offensive Grass types thanks to a fully accurate Hurricane.

:Garchomp: Swords Dance + Aqua Tail variants are very threatening and, if ran with Stealth Rock, they can reliably maintain them against common defoggers Tornadus-T and Landorus-T under Rain.

:Crawdaunt: the Big Don is barely used but it's absolutely nuclear under Rain so you could definitely try it. It also checks Weavile and Dragapult in a pinch and its so strong that, with Choice Band and Rain, it straight up OHKOs a fully healthy Weavile with Aqua Jet and 2HKOs physically defensive Toxapex and Ferrothorn with Crabhammer after rocks.

There are the first that immediately come to mind, although Seismitoad is definitely the most established at this stage. You could feasibly make some more experiments if you're interested in Rain teams.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)