Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
When using aegislash, should it have 0 speed ivs or 31? or does it matter at all? Most sets seem to not run gyroball anymore so I'm assuming it doesnt really affect anything, right?
31 IV's. You'll want Aegislash to outspeed bulkier mons like Wish Clefable, Corviknight, and Seismitoad in order for it to effectively apply pressure and take advantage of the them. Being able to force them out and make use of that turn to click Swords Dance, or a Choice Band/Specs boosted move to significantly damage or KO something is part of what makes offensive mons work in general. You also outspeed slow offensive threats like Conkeldurr, and can send in Aegislash to revenge kill it or at least force it out.

always go for 31 if you're not running smthing like gyro ball
31 IV's. You'll want Aegislash to outspeed bulkier mons like Wish Clefable, Corviknight, and Seismitoad in order for it to effectively apply pressure and take advantage of the them. Being able to force them out and make use of that turn to click Swords Dance, or a Choice Band/Specs boosted move to significantly damage or KO something is part of what makes offensive mons work in general. You also outspeed slow offensive threats like Conkeldurr, and can send in Aegislash to revenge kill it or at least force it out.
Thank you

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
What are the main moves people run on Cloyster and what's the best way to deal with that mon in general?
Shell Smash / Icicle Spear / Rock Blast / usually Ice Shard last

Really fast Scarf users, priority from Conkeldurr, Pokemon that naturally wall those moves if they don't get flinched multiple times like Aegislash for example, and pressuring it so it cannot set up. Otherwise, you're probably going to have one Pokemon that naturally checks it if it does not get flinched, but that may be it.

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
What is the origin of the term "double dance"?
As far as I know it simply stems from the fact that it refers to the combination of two different setup moves on one set and that some of these are dance moves (Swords Dance, Dragon Dance, Quiver Dance).
I don't think the origin is a specific set actually utilizing two dance moves since running a combination of the aforementioned three moves seems like a bad idea in any case (unless someone popularized a DD + SD set on a Pokemon, which I very much doubt).

What is the origin of the term "double dance"?
As far as I know it simply stems from the fact that it refers to the combination of two different setup moves on one set and that some of these are dance moves (Swords Dance, Dragon Dance, Quiver Dance).
I don't think the origin is a specific set actually utilizing two dance moves since running a combination of the aforementioned three moves seems like a bad idea in any case (unless someone popularized a DD + SD set on a Pokemon, which I very much doubt).
DD+SD has definitely been a thing at times. I think the term Double Dance might have originated with DD+SD Haxorus in Gen 5, but don’t quote me on that.

edit: The set is listed under "Double Dance" on Haxorus' gen 5 analysis if you're curious

Any niche hazard removal mons people like to use? Feels bad to be tunneled into Excadrill/Corviknight/Mandibuzz when teambuilding.

How are you guys dealing with Cloyster as balance? Specifically, I’m using a corviknight/Seismitoad/rotom-h (scarf) core and I flat out lose at team preview if my opponent has two brain cells.

edit: I swapped goon out for Bisharp. I am still going to lose mons to get the kill but it’s better than losing outright I guess. Toad survives and hits, or flinches and dies... then Bisharp kills. Awful :(

Last edited:
How are you guys dealing with Cloyster as balance? Specifically, I’m using a corviknight/Seismitoad/rotom-h (scarf) core and I flat out lose at team preview if my opponent has two brain cells.

edit: I swapped goon out for Bisharp. I am still going to lose mons to get the kill but it’s better than losing outright I guess. Toad survives and hits, or flinches and dies... then Bisharp kills. Awful :(
Your best option is probably Aegislash since it resists Icicle Spear and Rock Blast. Any Aegi set, if it’s healthy, can check Cloyster, but banded Shadow Sneak is the most reliable since it won’t be flinched and doesn't need to worry much about being worn down. Conkeldurr is also a good option since Cloyster gets crushed by Mach Punch.

Your best option is probably Aegislash since it resists Icicle Spear and Rock Blast. Any Aegi set, if it’s healthy, can check Cloyster, but banded Shadow Sneak is the most reliable since it won’t be flinched and doesn't need to worry much about being worn down. Conkeldurr is also a good option since Cloyster gets crushed by Mach Punch.
Banded Shadow Sneak is probably not the way to go if the Cloyster is healthy.
252+ Atk Choice Band Aegislash-Blade Shadow Sneak vs. -1 0 HP / 0 Def Cloyster: 102-121 (42.3 - 50.2%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Cloyster Icicle Spear (5 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Blade: 315-370 (120.6 - 141.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Funny thing: I put conk on my team and he’s doing well for me, But I haven’t ran into a single HO Cloyster team since I put him on there lol.

What spreads are people running on leftovers Excadrill? I know max attack max speed is still the standard for the most part but I was wondering if anyone is using some bulkier spreads to tank stuff with lefties.

Last edited:
Banded Shadow Sneak is probably not the way to go if the Cloyster is healthy.
252+ Atk Choice Band Aegislash-Blade Shadow Sneak vs. -1 0 HP / 0 Def Cloyster: 102-121 (42.3 - 50.2%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Cloyster Icicle Spear (5 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Blade: 315-370 (120.6 - 141.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Yeah banded shadow sneak isn’t needed. Specs Aegislash lives Cloyster and just delete him with shadow ball, bulky builds with something like close combat work fine too.

Will the changes introduced by Pokémon Home, which just dropped, be kept to just the OU ladder? Or will it be implemented for SPL and other tours too?

Are we limited to a few days or a week of no discussions about the new stuff, or is it fair game to comment in meta discussion and elsewhere?

just saw that cinderace hidden ability wasn't crossed anymore on the OU dex, how do we really get it in the game ?

So showdown still has wish and teleport incompatible for clef but wish is an egg move so that shouldn’t be the case what’s the proper channel to address this at ?

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
Will the changes introduced by Pokémon Home, which just dropped, be kept to just the OU ladder? Or will it be implemented for SPL and other tours too?

Are we limited to a few days or a week of no discussions about the new stuff, or is it fair game to comment in meta discussion and elsewhere?
Changes will be implemented for SPL starting week 7 and OST starting round 3.
It's fair game.

just saw that cinderace hidden ability wasn't crossed anymore on the OU dex, how do we really get it in the game ?
It's still illegal, likely to be introduced with the June DLC.

So showdown still has wish and teleport incompatible for clef but wish is an egg move so that shouldn’t be the case what’s the proper channel to address this at ?
I think you're right and it should be compatible now. I'm not 100% sure but you could try bug reports or messaging a PS admin.

DD+SD has definitely been a thing at times. I think the term Double Dance might have originated with DD+SD Haxorus in Gen 5, but don’t quote me on that.

edit: The set is listed under "Double Dance" on Haxorus' gen 5 analysis if you're curious
IIRC in Gen 4 Kingdra ran a dd + rain dance set, I think that's where it came from- it's at least the oldest set I am familiar with that went by "double dance"

Edit: Not to be a dick, just want to include that piece of compmon history

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)