XY NU Simipour Bulky Offense

Intro
Hello frens, this is a p fun bulky offense team with simipour as the main focus. You may be asking yourself, "why are you using simipour?", well I've honestly gotten a little bored of neverused and needed something that can bring me back into the tier. Not only is simipour a fun mon to use, but it works very well on the team I'm using because not only does this team support simipour very well, but simipour also helps the team out with common threats to balance/bulky offense such as Ninetales or Typhlosion. Without further ado, let's see how I put simipour to use and decide if simipour is just a "worse gorebyss" or not.

Preview

Teambuilding
- Starting with simipour cuz it's something new and I want to build around it.
- the first pokemon I thought of adding was vileplume because it could take on sceptile fairly easily (sceptile is probably the best offensive check to simipour). It can also switch into Hariyama which can take any of simipour's hits and retaliate with close combat.
- the third mon I added was rhydon. Rhydon makes sure that scarfed rotoms can't just volt switch freely on simipour. I've decided early on that rhydon will be my stealth rocker, and it remained later on in the team building process.
- scarf rotom was added (sorry, I almost always use scarf rotom, it's just so good!) because it can check +1 vivillon and lilligant, archeops, and Mismagius. Rotom has a tendency to bring in hariyamas which is good for wearing them down so simipour can sweep late-game.
- Cryogonal fits pretty naturally on this team type-wise and this team is pretty bulky thus far, so it would make sense to add a spinner so that way my pokes don't get worn down from hazards. Cryogonal also puts more pressure on Mismagius so simipour can have an easy time.
- the last poke I decided to add was Hariyama because I have a glaring weakness to Cryogonal. Hariyama adds the much needed priority to the team as well as giving me a great check to ferroseed. Hariyama can also knock off dragalge so it's worn down for simipour.

In-depth

Simipour @ Life Orb
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Grass Knot
- Ice Beam
- Nasty Plot

Simipour hits surprisingly hard with a life orb. Simipour is a really great late-game sweeper or even a great anti-lead because it can hit most stealth rock leads for super-effective damage. Ninetales is usually a big issue for balance/bulky offense, but simipour has a really trollish 101 base speed which is perfect for revenging Ninetales and even Typhlosion. Typhlosion is not too big of a threat to this team because I have rhydon and Hariyama, but if I notice the opponent doesn't have a switch-in to hydro pump I like to switch simipour into typhlosion's fire blast so simipour will be in torrent range. Simipour also checks gatr/kabu pretty well since simipour outspeeds gatr/kabu and can hit it with a super effective grass knot. Simipour's speed is really crucial to the team because it allows me to check weakened threats that would normally outspeed samurott or gorebyss.

Vileplume @ Black Sludge
Ability: Effect Spore
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 SpD
Bold Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Sleep Powder
- Synthesis

Vileplume is a great defensive pivot which acts as my switch-in to Hariyama since simipour can't take it out. I decided to use sleep powder over hidden power fire because I already have hidden power fire as a lure for ferroseed on Cryogonal and I feel like sleep powder is better for putting dragalge to sleep since I lack a dragon resist. 16 spdef evs ensures life orb hp ice from sceptile doesn't 2hko vileplume, since I want vileplume to switch into sceptile when sceptile tries to revenge simipour.

Rhydon @ Eviolite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 164 HP / 252 Atk / 92 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Blast
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch
- Stealth Rock

Rhydon is my stealth rocker. I use it to lure in ferroseed so I can nail it with fire punch. 92 speed is to outspeed 56 speed dragalge and nail them with earthquake because I don't have the safest of switch-ins to specs draco. I use rock blast to kill archeops leads and hopefully get enough hits to kill crustle before it sets up too many hazards. Rhydon is my switch in to kangaskhan, a common way to revenge simipour is through fake out since simipour is pretty quick. Max attack makes it so xatu will die as I go for rock blast if they try to switch into stealth rock.

Rotom @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Shadow Ball
- Trick

Scarf rotom is used for checking archeops, zangoose, and most things faster than simipour. Rotom and simipour have similar checks, like ferroseed and Hariyama, so it's easy to bait them in and volt switch to wear them down. Trick is useful against stall, it's not popular any more but I don't feel like playing 60 turn games, it's useful in general for crippling walls especially since simipour and rotom have similar checks/counters.

Cryogonal @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

Cryogonal is my spinner. I decided on having a spinner because I have a fat team and don't want it to be worn down by spikes. Cryogonal also pressures ghost types (Mismagius and scarf rotom mainly) which is good for simipour because it p much dies to anything faster than it. Hp fire is to lure in ferroseed so that simipour can sweep late game. I know ice/fire coverage is walled by fire types and Hariyama, but I have switch-ins and an offensive check to fire types and vileplume is a great switch in to Hariyama, and I just want to force Hariyama in to wear it down.

Hariyama @ Assault Vest
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Bullet Punch
- Fake Out

Hariyama switches into fire types that vileplume attracts, knocks off poison types like vileplume and dragalge so they get worn down easier and vileplume will be in range of ice beam from simipour. Fake out is useful for pokemon that boost their speed, without fake out bullet punch would be my only priority on the team. Bullet punch is useful priority for picking off things like Mismagius and archeops, or just weakened things in general, priority is always good. I went with 128 def so I can switch into knock off easier if I have to, vileplume is usually switching into knock off from fighting types tho.

Conclusion
Thx for reading my rmt :]. I got to 20~ Ish on the ladder (I don't ladder too much anymore honestly) and won a room tour with this team. Feel free to use this team.

Shoutout to AquajetBreloom for being a fren

Simipour @ Life Orb
Ability: Torrent
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Grass Knot
- Ice Beam
- Nasty Plot

Vileplume @ Black Sludge
Ability: Effect Spore
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 SpD
Bold Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Sleep Powder
- Synthesis

Rhydon @ Eviolite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 164 HP / 252 Atk / 92 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Blast
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch
- Stealth Rock

Rotom @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Shadow Ball
- Trick

Cryogonal @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

Hariyama @ Assault Vest
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Bullet Punch
- Fake Out

Last edited:

Lord Alphose

All these squares make a circle
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Holy crap, I lost 0 games with this team. What the heck? For that beautiful reason, I'm really not going to change much.

So, I noticed you have Leftover on Vileplume. And I was like, whatever, it's not going to be a problem. Then, the first game I played, A Rotom Tricked me a Choice Scarf, and that piece of crap didn't even get punished for not thinking ahead. This bothered me to no end, after that, and so, naturally, I'm going to suggest that you change Leftovers ---> Black Sludge. Totally unimportant, but that fucking Rotom, though.

That's all of I've got. Good luck.

Edit: Another change that I tried out is changing your spinner. I ended up changing Cryogonal --->Mantine, as a Defog user. To be completely honest, your team isn't totally dependent on hazards. Like, the only hazards you're setting are Stealth Rock, and that tends to be more of an afterthought on Rhydon. On top of that, Mantine adds no additional weaknesses that aren't amply covered. I ran a pretty standard set. It looked something like this:
Mantine @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Defog
- Air Slash
- Scald
- Toxic

There are probably better EV spread, I'm just not entirely sure what they are. This suggested change is iffy, at best, so just see if it fits your playstyle and all.

~~LA

Last edited:

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey Davon cool team you got here, Simipour is an interesting Pokemon to build around and can be incredibly powerful given the right support. You have clearly given it the right support and seeing as you already know how to team build really well I'm only going to suggest one small change in having Leftovers > Life Orb on Cryogonal. You seem to be heavily reliant on Hariyama to check all manner of special attackers and with no wish support on your team Hariyama is gonna be worn down fairly quickly opening up a pretty big hole in your team, and facing an opponent who has fire spam and a strong special attacker means you are going to get quickly worn down. Putting Leftovers on Cryogonal allows it to function more as an offensive pivot for special attackers meaning you dont have to Recover as soon and you can still keep momentum by double switching out, you are still able to get the 2HKO on Ferroseed with HP Fire as well. On a similar note you could try a specially defensive spread on Rhydon and see how that works to alleviate the pressure from special attackers.

Good luck with the team :]

Hey man cool team! It's honestly pretty solid, and I don't see too many issues. This said, strong Psychic types can do a lot of damage to your team, especially the likes of SubCM Uxie or standard Mesprit, who easily 2HKO every member of your team bar none.
This can be remedied by the use of Offensive Pivot Liepard over Rotom. Although losing Trick is somewhat painful for the team, IDK if it is completely necessary. Your team also doesn't lose much by getting rid of Rotom anyways, since everything it checks is also beaten by another member of the team. However, all of the pokemon that you mentioned in the above statement "Archeops, Vivillon, Lilligant" are still easily beaten by Liepard and Hariyama. However, Liepard can help you to deal more easily with psychic types by offering a powerful STAB Knock Off to punish them hard, while encoring the likes of SubCM Uxie into thier respective setup move, nullifying them as a threat to your team.

Minor Changes:
- Agreeing with Montsegur that Leftovers > Life Orb on Cryogonal is the way to go.
- In my experience of using Simipour in Gen6, Life Orb isn't needed. Simply put, with a Nasty Plot it hits more than hard enough, and its fraility means that after setup it often cannot afford to hit more than once or twice w/ LO Recoil. Instead use Rindo Berry to more easily set up on grass type attacks, or possibly even Substitute with Leftovers :].
- Honestly, Sleep Powder is terrible on Vileplume. It doesn't help it in any way, and really has far less utility than the likes of HP Fire / Aromatherapy, one of which prevents the likes of Pawniard or Klinklang from easily setting up, while the other can heal your somewhat status weak team.

Cool team Davon!

Thx for the rates everyone :]

Lord Alphose yeah I kind of overlooked black sludge, it's obviously superior than lefties. I'll test out mantine, it looks like some fun and I haven't used it in gen 6 yet

Montsegur I definitely agree with lefties on Cryogonal cuz I find it gets worn down way too quick, plus I p much just want to force in Hariyama to wear it down anyways, so lefties lets cryo switch into rocks more often. I think I'm gonna stick with the ev spread on rhydon tho

Brawlfest ill test out offensive liepard, I think it actually fits into the team p nicely. I like the idea of rindo on simipour but I like how hard life orb hits so idk man. Sleep powder is good for getting dragalge on the switch so rhydon can have a free switch plus I have hp fire on cryo to bait steels already plus rhydon can eat up a hit from klinklang and OHKO back.

tested this team on ladder a bit and had good success with it...not many things I would change tbh. Bc i really am not good at rating teams and this team is already very solid, i suggest you change moonlight to Synthesis for a possible mon with imprison lol as there are no mons that get imprison + synthesis iirc haha

Edit: PS thanks for shoutout bb :]

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I don't think Mantine is worth it. It's insanely weak, slow, and in general changes your team's dynamics far too much due to the massive contrast in roles with Cryogonal (defensive Defogger vs offensive spinner). Plus, Lord Alphose's suggested set is kind of bad lol. Liepard is a bit more reasonable, but it still makes you a ton more susceptible to Flying-types (Swellow in particular basically 6-0es you after Rhydon dies) so I'd be a bit cautious about that too.

I don't think many changes are too mandatory since your team should be fine without them, but if you're looking for a fast offensive check to Psychic-types, some sort of Sneasel set over Cryogonal would probably be your best bet. It provides you with a fast physical attacker while retaining Ice coverage and providing some extra priority, which is also pretty useful since your only form right now is a weak Bullet Punch. Again, it probably isn't entirely necessary, but if you really feel like you're weak to CM Psychic-types I think that's the best option.

Sneasel @ Life Orb | Inner Focus
252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 SpD | Jolly
Knock Off | Ice Punch | Ice Shard | Pursuit or Low Kick

or

Sneasel @ Eviolite | Inner Focus
252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 SpD | Jolly
Swords Dance | Knock Off | Ice Punch | Ice Shard

If you decide against Sneasel, the other suggestion I'd make is to use Fake Out > Heavy Slam on Hariyama. Your team needs all the priority it can get, and your team doesn't really struggle with Fairies all that heavily anyway. Lastly, if you want a more offensive Rhydon that can weaken Ferroseed, a Swords Dance + Stealth Rock set with max Speed is probably better over Fire Punch since it helps weaken defensive cores further and is more useful in general.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)