Showdown Art Room Contest: Ability Shift

This is the submission thread for the May 2014 art contest

Greetings fellow Showdown user! Whether this is your first art contest or you're a veteran, please be sure to read all the rules before posting to insure your submission qualifies.

Deadline: CONTEST OVER. ANY FURTHER SUBMISSIONS WILL NOT BE SCORED.

As you may be aware, Showdown hosts a variety of invented meta games made by the Smogon forums in what they call the "Monthly OMs". This April's Monthy OM was a rather interesting meta called Ability Shift, wherein each Pokemon has it's ability list shifted down by one alphabetically from the list of all abilities. This makes for some interesting gameplay, however it causes Pokemons' abilities to tend not to make much sense flavor wise. The purpose of this contest is to take a Pokemon with one of it's abilities from ability shift, and redesign it so that the new ability makes sense visually and conceptually with the chosen Pokemon. Some of the designs are easy to make fit, and
others are quite challenging; I'm quite excited to see just how creative you can be.

Here is a quick guide for figuring out which abilities a Pokemon now gets:

1. Open a list of pokemon abilities in alphabetical order, such as this one: http://www.psypokes.com/lab/abilities.php
  2. Take the ability you want to change and move DOWN one in the list. (i.e. Aftermath becomes Airlock)
  3. Repeat this process for all the abilities the poke of your choice to get a full list of all the abilities you could choose from.
Here is an example case:
Furret get's the abilities Run Away, Keen Eye, and Frisk by default. Run Away becomes Sand Force, Keen Eye because Klutz, and Frisk becomes Fur Coat. Therefore Furret's new abilities in Ability Shift are Sand Force, Klutz, and Fur Coat.

If you are at all unsure about which Pokemon get's what ability, ask a room auth in Art.
If You wish to know all Pokemon who get a certain ability:
Look at the desired ability and move UP one on the list.

In this example, the pokemon who can have Magic Bounce are Gulpin, Swalot, Tentacool, and Tentacruel.

Notes on Submissions:

• There is no limit on the number of submissions you can post.
  • Each post must contain an image (preferably hidden with a [ hide][/hide] tag), which Pokemon it is, which ability you are trying to depict, and at least one sentence describing how you've made the ability make sense flavor wise.
  • You can use any visual medium (digital, traditional, sculpture, ect.)
  • Feel free to post writing submissions, however they will not be scored due to our judges inability to properly do so.
  • This thread is for posting submissions only. You can like posts to show support, but please no written feedback in this thread.
Scoring Criteria: (Out of 100)

Creativity: (25) - Thousands of Pokemon/ability combinations~
Artistic Display: (35) - Quality of the artistic techniques used to produce the piece.
Representation of Ability: (15) - How easily can we tell what the new ability is?
Appropriateness of Flavor: (15) - Does the new ability seem fitting on your redesign model?
Level of Finish: (10) - Visible time and effort put into the details of the piece.

The score of a piece will only be made publicly available for the top 3 scoring entries, or by request of the one posting.

If You have any questions about anything in this post contact Jac, SolarisFox, EspeonScientist, Agous or Magistrum

Last edited:

Anthiese

formerly Jac
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Good shit SolarisFox

Alright i cant wait to see what everyone has to show! I might even get in the mix myself~

Here's mine, Protean Ghost Absol! It's using Shadow Claw, a Ghost-type attack, and I guess I just added ghost-y mist stuff to the back. XD

I got another idea. Bad dreams Zygarde, being really creepy and giving you Bad Dreams. :P (God it looks like Toothless)

Last edited:

Arhops

Professor Layton's Little Brother
is a Smogon Discord Contributor

This is a picture of Snorlax with the ability Imposter. This Snorlax is impostering a Sunflora, hence the name Sunflorax.

Also tagging TheBurgerKing99 because I want him to know about this thread. :]

%Panzer Jaeger: Sunflorax
%Panzer Jaeger: Most beautiful and fabulous thing I seen in a while...
%Panzer Jaeger: Praise the Sunflorax!

&DreMZ: sunflorax4ubers
@Arhops: The art room loves it
@Arhops: idk why
&DreMZ: Because
&DreMZ: its the best

Last edited:
I guess you could say...

April showers bring Pure Powers *giggles*

Greninja's Grudge

He's a fxxking ninja frog.
How is he not perfect?
He's in the new Smash Bros.
because he deserves it.

Protean lets him change
whenever he attacks.
One second he's blue
and another second he's black!

(Before you get butthurt,
let me just say this:
I grew up with black Pokémon.
No, I'm not racist!)

Insecurities aside,
it's scary, doncha think?
Greninja is so fast
you couldn't catch him if you blinked!

But then Pokémon Showdown
decided to introduce
a metagame so broken
that all hell broke loose.

As he crawls out of the shadows
with a crazy look in his eyes,
he seeks only one thing:
your utter demise.

He walks over to you.
You crap your pants out of fear.
He begins to form shurikens
made out of your tears.

You beg him to walk away
but his intentions are pure.
He's going to kill you where you stand.
Of that, you can be sure.

His power is overwhelming.
Your body goes into shock.
Your expression screams pain
but you're unable to talk.

You begin to cry for help
but Greninja doesn't budge.
It's impossible to escape
from a Greninja with a grudge.

As you accept your fate
you wonder, "who's to blame?"
Blame Pokémon Showdown
and their epic metagames.

Edit: here's a bonus one just for gits and shiggles.

My Furret Has Tourette's

I love my Furret,
but his life really sucks.
Because he has Tourette's
he's a bit a of a Klutz.

Because he has Tourette's
I can't take him for walks.
I know it makes him sad
but I don't think it's his fault.

Every now and then
he has this weird tic.
This is serious, folks,
so don't make fun of it.

He jerks his neck upward
and he closes his eyes shut.
He hops a bit backwards
and he screams out "FUCK!"

This is serious, guys,
so don't start laughing.
You don't know how he feels
when people start harassing.

He also has this tic
where he drags his butt
on the floor for three seconds
and he screams out "FUCK!"

I'm not kidding, okay?
None of this is a joke.
Did you know when he jerks his neck
it causes him to choke?

Speaking of which,
he has this one tic when he eats.
This tic is exactly why
I don't want him on the streets.

He chews his food loudly
and he makes these weird grunts.
It almost sounds like an orgasm,
if I had to be blunt.

He swallows and licks his lips.
I think my Furret might be a slut.
He smiles for a moment, looks at me,
and then he screams out "FUCK!"

Last edited:
My mate drew a thing for the contest. :P
It won't be scored since she's not a member of the community, but I thought it was worth sharing here anyways.

10331789_849185905097725_597030172_n.jpg

It's a Leaf Guard Lopunny. Personally it reminds me of how AV switcheroo, which is what Lopunny is already known for, but I think my mate just likes the concept of Leaf Armor. :P

Last edited:
To be fair, the same line where they specify you can have writing submissions they also specified they can't judge them. If you read the rules you should've been writing the document knowing you couldn't win with it. It would've been better to ask beforehand. Anyway, a good question nonetheless. According to the rules, it says it's "due to the judges' inability to do so" (in terms of judging written submissions).

Well, for pretty obvious reasons the rubric doesn't apply to written works, meaning that they would have to be scored on a separate scale. This wouldn't be fair to either entry type, and just based on general interest and experience of the room auth, it makes far more sense to put the emphasis on the visual rather than the written.

However, if enough written submissions are posted, I have no problem setting up another system so that both a drawn and written winner can be chosen.

Placeholder for all my entries

Entry 1: Gale Wings Furfrou

(I dont even know why I wrote this in French... Translation: The Duchess, She's very majestic, Normal, Gale Wings; Took me longer than expected, hahah)

Entry 2: Pixilate Zigzagoon (I took the ability Pixilate literally and made Zigzagoon a Pixelated Zigzagoon. The sprite is made from absolute scratch and is what I call minimalistic spriting (something I've been practicing of late))

Last edited:
I've got two entries!

1. Furfrou (Gale Wings). The funniest part is that Furfrou doesn't really get any flying moves. Looks like I've been beaten to this, though.

2. Yveltal (Defeatist). It's funny to see the god of death wallowing in defeat, but also really really sad :[

edit: Fixed Yveltal's link. Also, for some reason they're so small in the /hides o.o

Here's my entry: Color change Altaria :)
I figured that the ability color change sounds like something that can be elegant, so it's perfect for Altaria ^^
I tried to convey the color change by using multiple colors and using gradual transitions between them :3

Edit: Thanks for the likes and the kind comments :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)