Programming Showdex - An Auto-Updating Damage Calculator Built into Showdown!

This... thing does not work the way that I want at all.
Look, when it looks for data from my team, it works just fine, but on the opposing team, it doesn't show anything useful. I edited the format so it will be Open Team Sheets, so I can prove it.
1708885433323.png

I tried to use this in hopes I can use it for my fun, but it's nothing like what your ads are making it up to. Oh, and I did try using Force Open Team Sheets, but what does this thing do?
1708885727720.png
What does it do? NOTHING!

Look, when it looks for data from my team, it works just fine, but on the opposing team, it doesn't show anything useful. I edited the format so it will be Open Team Sheets, so I can prove it.
View attachment 608299
I tried to use this in hopes I can use it for my fun, but it's nothing like what your ads are making it up to. Oh, and I did try using Force Open Team Sheets, but what does this thing do?
View attachment 608300 What does it do? NOTHING!
works fine for me
1708886174315.png

View attachment 608299
View attachment 608300 What does it do? NOTHING!
It's based off of the sets on smogdex. Staryu has no Ubers sets on the dex, so showdex has nothing to pull. afaik, it doesn't pull from team sheets.

Sigh... guess I have no other choice but to pull all of my teams from my alternate account (I made my demonstration using an alternate account, and when I decided to transfer my teams, the calcdex worked properly).
Here's the other response I received:
It's based off of the sets on smogdex. Staryu has no Ubers sets on the dex, so showdex has nothing to pull. afaik, it doesn't pull from team sheets.
This means whoever you faced was using set teams given to them from Smogon. That is not how Pokemon is supposed to be played.

Here's the other response I received:

This means whoever you faced was using set teams given to them from Smogon. That is not how Pokemon is supposed to be played.
No, not at all. showdex just gives you a baseline of what the opposing pokemon could be. You have to actually figure out what moves, items, and EVs the opposing pokemon are, the same as any other battle. Maybe they did rip all their sets straight from Smogdex, maybe they made some changes. Like if a kingambit kowtow is doing more than what calcdex says it should even with adamant blackglasses, then that could tip you off that maybe they decided to try out choice band. It would be absolutely fucking insane if showdex actually ripped the opponent's team and just gave it straight to you. That would be the Mazar bot on crack. All showdex is really meant to be is a more efficient battle calc that you don't have to have a separate tab open for.

No, not at all. showdex just gives you a baseline of what the opposing pokemon could be. You have to actually figure out what moves, items, and EVs the opposing pokemon are, the same as any other battle. Maybe they did rip all their sets straight from Smogdex, maybe they made some changes. Like if a kingambit kowtow is doing more than what calcdex says it should even with adamant blackglasses, then that could tip you off that maybe they decided to try out choice band. It would be absolutely fucking insane if showdex actually ripped the opponent's team and just gave it straight to you. That would be the Mazar bot on crack. All showdex is really meant to be is a more efficient battle calc that you don't have to have a separate tab open for.
What pissed me off the most is the fact calcdex doesn't take the actual levels of my opponent's Pokemon into account. In case of the guy who said it works, all his opponent's Pokemon are level 100, so that invalidates his argument.
On another note, I wonder what's the main tier list. The one whose top three tiers, not counting Anything Goes since that was made for Mega Rayquaza and Eternamax Eternatus cannot be obtained legitimately, are Uber, OU and UU. I'm not that much into competitive play, so I don't really bother; I just need to know for further references.

Typescript (React JS). The project is completely open source, so you can make changes and build your own version if you'd like (or submit a pull request if it's something you think we should add)
darn it. i made a calculator in C++ to determine the opponents stats, and thought I might be able to give you the code. looks like I cant help you.

darn it. i made a calculator in C++ to determine the opponents stats, and thought I might be able to give you the code. looks like I cant help you.
Oh gotcha, well actually we decided not to do that on purpose. Determining the opponent's stats automatically based on the damage crosses the line into cheating in our opinion. A computer can quickly and easily crunch all the numbers and figure out the opponent's spread & item, while a player can't do that as easily and definitely not as quickly. I think that creates an unfair competitive advantage over players who aren't using the tool.

You might think that argument could apply to what Showdex already does, but I think it differs tremendously because it doesn't do anything you couldn't already do with the damage calc. All Showdex does is speed up the process by automating the boring parts and making it more convenient. It doesn't do anything a player couldn't easily do themselves. Though you could plug in EVs and items manually to figure out their spread, it would eat up your timer, so you're limited in time and effort (that'd be super monotonous). If we automatically did it for you, we would remove those barriers and give you an unfair advantage over players without the tool.

So that's why we decided not to do it. I have more detailed explanations elsewhere in this thread as well, but I thought I should reiterate it since it's been a while. Another important piece of context is that we already know some people consider Showdex, in it's current state, to be cheating. We definitely disagree with that, but we also don't want to cross that line any further. As someone who loves this game, the last thing I'd ever want to do is hurt the competitive integrity. I would delete it before I let that happen :)

Thanks for the offer tho, I really do appreciate it. Hope it doesn't feel like I was going off on you, I simply wanted to explain our reasoning so it's clear :totodiLUL:

Ehmcee

A Spoopy Ghost
is a Pre-Contributor
Could we have calcs ignore your ability if an opposing Neutralizing Gas mon is on the field?

This mainly came into play when I was playing Liquid Voice Psychic Noise Primarina, which ended up becoming super effective against Galarian Weezing :)

I recently reset my computer and have been getting everything sorted again but once I installed showdex it doesn't seem to work for some reason. Any reason for this or potential fixes? Screenshot for reference:
Screenshot (1).png

I recently reset my computer and have been getting everything sorted again but once I installed showdex it doesn't seem to work for some reason. Any reason for this or potential fixes? Screenshot for reference:
View attachment 618516
Hmmm interesting, it might be because it's an older version of Showdex if you installed it from the Opera Store (they're really slow with approving updates). Try uninstalling Showdex and install it from the Chrome store instead, and see if the problem is still there. If it is, then we can go from there and see what's the problem.

Interesting observation. Would it be possible to make showdex unusable in blitz formats?
It's possible, but it's open source, so anyone could just change it and then distribute that version, which I think would actually make it feel like cheating since not everyone would have access to it then. Personally, I don't think it's cheating because everyone has access to it and also you don't really have the time to use Showdex very much since the time is so limited. I've lost many blitz games cause I'm checking the calcs and my timer runs out.

But that's just my opinion, and I barely play blitz. If there's significant community support or the format leader wants us to disable it for Blitz, we're open to it as long as it's understood that anyone can edit the code and bypass the restriction, so that would be the tradeoff.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)