Metagame Shared Power

Hi , I recently faced a problem where I had a poke with Scrappy in my team and my opponent had an Intimidate team and Scrappy is supposed to be immune but I still took the atk drop : https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8randombattle-1210632750 (It was in Randbtas Mayhem). Is that a problem with Shared Power or with something else ?
Unfortunately the coding for Scrappy only looks for the real Intimidate and not the fake Intimidate generated by Shared Power. Similarly, only the real Intimidate will trigger the Adrenaline Orb.

Aren't competitive/defiant quite broken as they give +2 in (special) attack if the opponent uses intimidate and +4 if you manage to somehow get webs on your side. If you run choice scarf on something like dragapult, it might deal really high damage.

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Aren't competitive/defiant quite broken as they give +2 in (special) attack if the opponent uses intimidate and +4 if you manage to somehow get webs on your side. If you run choice scarf on something like dragapult, it might deal really high damage.
Intimidate isn't mandatory (its not that common).

Rules:
/tour create [Gen 7] Random Doubles Battle,elimination
/tour rules inversemod, gen8sharedpower,!moody clause, gen8camomons, same type clause,!sleep clause mod

Replay: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7randomdoublesbattle-1227106036

It's shared power. Whimsicott shared prankster in turn 1. You can see, vileplume moves earlier than a Pokémon that was supposed to be faster than it when it uses a status move. Examples:

Turn 3: Vileplume moves faster than Liepard and Yveltal.
Turn 5: Vileplume moves faster than Absol and Yveltal.

So yes, he has a prankster. It's shared power. You can notice other evidences, through the use of intimidate by other pokémons that do not have intimidate, or even on the part:

[The opposing Bisharp's Magic Bounce]
The opposing Bisharp bounced the Sleep Powder back!
It doesn't affect Vileplume ...

And probably more evidence to prove that it's shared power.

But here's the big mystery, the million-dollar question, and also, the objective that made me report here: why vileplume, in turn 5, with prankster, can affect the yveltal that is with the dark type? would it be a bug? would it be because of the inverse? in inverse prankster affects dark? if not, what happened? a bug? '-'

Turn 5
Vileplume used Sleep Powder!
The opposing Yveltal fell asleep!

UPDATE: It is definitely not the fault of the inverse. Replay proof:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-1227197727

Since technically Soul-Heart and Grim Neigh have different effects (Former raises your Special Attack by 1 stage after any Pokemon faints by any method, while the latter only does so if the fainting occurred due to direct damage from the user), will Pokemon just get +2 for each kill?

G-Luke

Since technically Soul-Heart and Grim Neigh have different effects (Former raises your Special Attack by 1 stage after any Pokemon faints by any method, while the latter only does so if the fainting occurred due to direct damage from the user), will Pokemon just get +2 for each kill?
Yep. I tested it myself in a rather amusing battle featuring Power Trip Morpeko

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8sharedpower-1214070077

Yep. I tested it myself in a rather amusing battle featuring Power Trip Morpeko

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8sharedpower-1214070077
You should also replace Krookodile and Glastrier too. Their role for a team like this is only to increase the power of Stored Power Trip, which is just over kill in a meta where Unaware is banned.

Here is what I did
Sylveon provides much needed coverage for Spectrier, Tapu Lele prevents priority, and Alakazam is just an extremely strong abuser of Psychic Terrain. Besides Magearna and Sylveon, all EV spreads are designed to give a Speed Boost.
Too bad that Magic Guard is banned, since a Life Orb boost free of charge would be nice, although you could use Nidoking and change some sets so that your team benefits more from Sheer Force.

G-Luke

You should also replace Krookodile and Glastrier too. Their role for a team like this is only to increase the power of Stored Power Trip, which is just over kill in a meta where Unaware is banned.

Here is what I did
Sylveon provides much needed coverage for Spectrier, Tapu Lele prevents priority, and Alakazam is just an extremely strong abuser of Psychic Terrain. Besides Magearna and Sylveon, all EV spreads are designed to give a Speed Boost.
Too bad that Magic Guard is banned, since a Life Orb boost free of charge would be nice, although you could use Nidoking and change some sets so that your team benefits more from Sheer Force.
The team itself was not all that serious, it was mainly just a means to see just how much stats can get.

How does Refrigerate and Pixilate stack? I mean, no Galvanize and Aerialate anymore, but just wondering. Regenerator+Gale Wings+Aerialate+Return on Talonflame was fun.

G-Luke

How does Refrigerate and Pixilate stack? I mean, no Galvanize and Aerialate anymore, but just wondering. Regenerator+Gale Wings+Aerialate+Return on Talonflame was fun.
Iirc Gale Winf's check has priority (lol) over ate abilities.

Hey, I've discovered that Stakeout isn't in the abilities banlist in the OP. Not sure if it was an oversight, but regardless of that, it's a busted ability on its own, and it only gets worse here when a lot of players would switch in as many mons as possible early-game to activate all abilities on a team, which Stakeout takes full advantage of it and punishes switchins really hard. I don't think Thievul itself being trash would explain why it's here either; it's actually not even weak with 87 SpA + doubled damage on the switch.

I hope this bug would be fixed soon. Thank you for your attention.

Oh cool, Leader's Choice.

I haven't figured out the optimal sets for this, but I think a FEAR strategy (to recap: a Level 1 mon that users Endeavor and Leech Seed in conjunction with Sturdy to cheese out KOs) could actually be viable. The only thing every FEAR team would autolose to is Skill Link; every other way of getting around the strat has a way to negate it. A major beneficial change this generation is the absence of Poison Heal, which could outheal residual damage from Leech Seed and weather.

Four abilities seem 100% mandatory: Sturdy to live hits, Flower Veil to avoid status (meaning you should have a Grass-type FEAR mon), Oblivious/Aroma Veil to get around Taunt (and other moves, in Aroma Veil's case), and Pixilate/Refrigerate/Scrappy to let Endeavor hit Ghost-types. Since Comfey is the only Flower Veil user, it's the only strictly mandatory mon on these teams.

At this point, Regenerator can still stall you out by just switching around; burn or poison will stop some of them, but not all of them. The way I see it, you can run a trapping move (i.e. Infestation) to stop that, or a Snow Warning/Sand Stream user to bring them down immediately after Endeavor. None of these are perfect strategies -- Infestation takes a turn to set up and doesn't help you keep your Sturdy, plus not many FEAR mons get a trapping move anyways. Weather forces you to either use mons immune to that particular weather or give up your item slot for Safety Goggles. Overcoat would work, but as discussed below, it limits your other options.

You can deal with hazards in one of two ways, I think -- either use a few extra moveslots on Magic Coat/Defog/Rapid Spin, or put Heavy-Duty Boots on your FEAR mon. While the first strategy seems appealing, you are usually not going to be using threatening mons, and might not get free turns to use Defog or Rapid Spin. Magic Coat is cool, but obviously it does not remove existing hazards. HDB will do the trick, I think; its main downside is that it precludes using Safety Goggles, which leaves some of the better FEAR users weak to opposing weather if you don't have Overcoat.

The last thing that I can think of which would stop a FEAR strategy is Rocky Helmet, Iron Barbs, and Rough Skin. Stuff like Static and Flame Body are circumvented with Flower Veil, but the only ways around contact damage are Long Reach Decidueye and Protective Pads. Leech Seed won't help you against Ferrothorn or other Grass-types, either. Your team slots are really constrained already, so I think Protective Pads are better, but frankly both are very constraining.

Suffice to say, I think this is at least a team structure that players should be aware of while teambuilding. On paper, it has the tools it needs to play around most strategies (except Skill Link, which laughs in its face). Only battling will tell whether it's actually good.

Or maybe this was already discussed upthread. IDK. I'm not reading all 23 pages of this.

Hey, I've discovered that Stakeout isn't in the abilities banlist in the OP. Not sure if it was an oversight, but regardless of that, it's a busted ability on its own, and it only gets worse here when a lot of players would switch in as many mons as possible early-game to activate all abilities on a team, which Stakeout takes full advantage of it and punishes switchins really hard. I don't think Thievul itself being trash would explain why it's here either; it's actually not even weak with 87 SpA + doubled damage on the switch.

I hope this bug would be fixed soon. Thank you for your attention.
Genesect is still allowed for some reason. Please lord. I beg of you to ban it.
Fixed. There are likely more things that need to be banned after the DLCs but we'll figure it out. Looking forward to trying the new meta!

Edit: Pheromosa and Naganadel should be banned as well

Last edited:

Pigeons

pidge pidge
is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Given the dramatic shifts in available Pokemon since Shared Power was last OM of the month, I think most of the bans that were made then should be lifted. Things like Ice Scales and Fur Coat might be more tolerable now that we have stronger offensive picks like Spectrier and Landorus-T, while things like Guts may not be as effective as they were in April. Above all else, Shared Power has always been fun for the absolute insanity it enables when stacking abilities. Obviously broken things should be addressed (Huge Power / Steelworker stand out) but I see no issue with the power level in this meta being insanely high as long as there's some semblance of playstyle diversity.

Somes insane team in this meta no?
Multiscale + Regenerator + Ice scale + Stamina on bulki mon is insane.. With hazards / statut condition too difficult to deal with.. With sticky old or an Ability to no take crit.. Maybe we have to ban somes combination like Regenerator + Multiscale?

I saw a team with Lando-I. Dont know if this should be banned tho

Also, Scrappy is not protecting other mons from Intimidate. Didn't checked for other things like Oblivious.

Anyway, does critical hits ignore defense raises from fluffy/fur coat?

I was running a crappy team with Sniper/Technician/Scrappy/Rough Skin/Super Luck/Unseen Fist (Rapid Strike)

Water/Ground Imunities sucks but are blown away by scrappy band CC.

Also, been not seeing many Scale Shot Skill Link Garchomps. Or Transistor/Dragon's Maw/Adaptability/No Guard/Hustle Dracozolts.

The meta is fun as always :)

how broken do you think punk rock Exploud would be if punk rock worked in shared power? if it did that's a 273 base power boom burst, stabs included in that an if you were to include in things like choice specks or lorb its looks pretty good. Is it better than Toxtricity if it is at least decent?

Last edited:
how broken do you think punk rock Exploud would be if punk rock worked in shared power? if it did that's a 273 base power boom burst, stabs included in that an if you were to include in things like choice specks or lorb its looks pretty good. Is it better than Toxtricity if it is at least decent?
Punk Rock does work.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8sharedpower-1254254756-1jzvlpqckp8gu4vpcf2whpbqdzyk4fdpw

0 SpA Choice Specs Exploud Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Lapras: 219-258 (47.1 - 55.6%)
0 SpA Choice Specs Punk Rock Exploud Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Lapras: 285-335 (61.4 - 72.1%)

So with the bear brothers around, Crit teams are good now.
DarkShifu is better bc has no immunities. Combine this with a Tsareena to shut down triage teams and thats overkill
Also, Wicked Blow/Surging Strikes are fist moves, so they are buffed by Iron Fist.
Shell Armor is also only used on hard stall teams, and the users are... Terrible, or have better abilities.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)