Metagame Shared Power

iLlama

Nothing personal, I protect my people
inb4 stall starts running Oblivious and Aroma Veil
I've seen and used Tsareena for its Queenly Majesty a bit so the tech against Prankster Taunt and priority attackers is definitely there and being used. Haze not being directed at a Pokemon is obviously a discussion point as well but I've found that there are builds that don't need to rely on setup in order to break through teams using these stall tactics, just haven't run into them yet.

This is my first time playing this meta, and I love it! It's like AAA but more fun and varied. My only issue with it so far is definitely the prominence of FurScales.

I played a couple of games using some fun ideas I slapped together, and immediately noticed FurScales quickly snowballed out of control, which I find odd due to its stally nature. FurScales turns already bulky pokemon into unreasonably bulky pokemon. It's overcentralizing, as slapping 2 utility mons on your team immediately doubles the bulk of your entire team. The downsides to using Alolan Persian and Frosmoth are not even close to the benefit that Fur Coat and Frost Scales bring to the team. If Fur Coat was on Ledian and Ice Scales was on Luvdisc, both pokemon would receive consistent usage in this metagame, which I believe is an indicator of a broken ability on a subpar mon (think Arena Trap Diglett).

I also have issues with Contrary, who's only check appears to be FurScales. Serperior was an excellent pokemon solely due to its ability, and it was incredibly powerful even though it had 75 base Sp.Atk and its literal only offensive option was Leaf Storm. Contrary quickly becomes unbalanced when put on pokemon that have either coverage or stats to back it up.

Additionally, this metagame is still full of life and creativity. Guts + Quick Feet Hyper Offense is powerful but not overcentralizing. I've seen cool ideas, and I can't wait to see what happens in the future.

This is my first time playing this meta, and I love it! It's like AAA but more fun and varied. My only issue with it so far is definitely the prominence of FurScales.

I played a couple of games using some fun ideas I slapped together, and immediately noticed FurScales quickly snowballed out of control, which I find odd due to its stally nature. FurScales turns already bulky pokemon into unreasonably bulky pokemon. It's overcentralizing, as slapping 2 utility mons on your team immediately doubles the bulk of your entire team. The downsides to using Alolan Persian and Frosmoth are not even close to the benefit that Fur Coat and Frost Scales bring to the team. If Fur Coat was on Ledian and Ice Scales was on Luvdisc, both pokemon would receive consistent usage in this metagame, which I believe is an indicator of a broken ability on a subpar mon (think Arena Trap Diglett).

I also have issues with Contrary, who's only check appears to be FurScales. Serperior was an excellent pokemon solely due to its ability, and it was incredibly powerful even though it had 75 base Sp.Atk and its literal only offensive option was Leaf Storm. Contrary quickly becomes unbalanced when put on pokemon that have either coverage or stats to back it up.

Additionally, this metagame is still full of life and creativity. Guts + Quick Feet Hyper Offense is powerful but not overcentralizing. I've seen cool ideas, and I can't wait to see what happens in the future.
Just FYI, it's not FurScales that checks Contrary, it only "checks" Contrary when paired with Regenerator (or Unaware, which I think is less broken than Regenerator).

FurScales may be a must on successful Stall or Balance teams in this meta, but their are certainly strong set-up / offensive teams (Contrary, Guts+Sheer Force+Adaptability, Sand Spit, Terrain, F.E.A.R., and combinations of all these) that can break through FurScales when the damage they're racking up isn't just healed by switching.

Last edited:
Alright quick update to the Contrary+Unburden+Psychic Seed team that helps it break through Regenerator stall:

Indeedee (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Hyper Voice
- Shadow Ball

Shuckle @ Mental Herb
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Final Gambit

Hawlucha @ Psychic Seed
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Superpower
- Acrobatics
- Brave Bird
- Taunt

Dragapult @ Psychic Seed
Ability: Infiltrator
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower

Zeraora @ Psychic Seed
Ability: Volt Absorb
Jolly Nature
- Plasma Fists
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- Taunt

Darmanitan @ Psychic Seed
Ability: Sheer Force
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Superpower

Screenshot_20200410-103229.jpg

As you can see I added taunt to Hawlucha and a taunt Zeraora to hit the higher speed tier for outspeeding opposing Dragapult.

Taunt allows you to stop Haze, Bulk-Up and Topsy Turvey while you continue to boost with Superpower.

Some Replays to show proof of concept:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8sharedpower-1094266601
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8sharedpower-1094274237

Of course, the stall team could run oblivious or aroma veil and ruin your day :psyduck:

For the record I still think both Regen and Contrary should be banned.

Happy Grinding!

Alright quick update to the Contrary+Unburden+Psychic Seed team that helps it break through Regenerator stall:

Indeedee (M) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Hyper Voice
- Shadow Ball

Shuckle @ Mental Herb
Impish Nature
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Final Gambit

Hawlucha @ Psychic Seed
Jolly Nature
- Superpower
- Acrobatics
- Brave Bird
- Taunt

Dragapult @ Psychic Seed
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower

Zeraora @ Psychic Seed
Jolly Nature
- Plasma Fists
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- Taunt

Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Superpower

As you can see I added taunt to Hawlucha and a taunt Zeraora to hit the higher speed tier for outspeeding opposing Dragapult.

Taunt allows you to stop Haze, Bulk-Up and Topsy Turvey while you continue to boost with Superpower.

Of course, the stall team could run oblivious or aroma veil and ruin your day :psyduck:

Happy Grinding!
Is the malamar and kyreum team a good one though, maybe for different situations?
Replay, I mean it beat a tanky toxapex.
Replay2 and the kyreum swept a whole team though

Last edited:

Indeedee (M) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Hyper Voice
- Shadow Ball

Shuckle @ Mental Herb
Impish Nature
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Final Gambit

Hawlucha @ Psychic Seed
Jolly Nature
- Superpower
- Acrobatics
- Brave Bird
- Taunt

Dragapult @ Psychic Seed
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower

Zeraora @ Psychic Seed
Jolly Nature
- Plasma Fists
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- Taunt

Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Superpower

Happy Grinding!
This team seems to lose so badly to stall with prankster, which every stall team runs now. Have you been able to beat them at all consistently? Seems that's by far the best team in the meta currently.

Regen should 100% be banned though. With FurScales Regenerator and prankster, there aren't any teams that actually check Stall consistently now. I don't know what the reticence is in banning some power away from stall teams. A team needs to be built from the ground up to beat furscales teams now, and then you lose to every other archetype. Regenerator definitely has no reason to be allowed, and on top of that a complex ban for prankster should be considered. Stall is far and away the best archetype in this gamemode and has been the entire time, and with weather and other forms of speed control out, simple out, I don't see why stall isn't getting beat down outside of contrary being removed. Stall has so many powerful options to take that it crowds out almost every offensive archetype besides no guard, hustle, adaptability, which it can still beat with regenerator a large percentage of the time.

Last edited:
The combination of Psychic Surge + Unburden is now banned. Psychic Surge, together with Unburden, invalidates any other offensive strategy. Furthermore, when combined with Contrary, it puts overwhelming pressure on defensive builds as their counter measures (Prankster) are nullified.

It is uncertain how Unburden would fair when used with other terrains, or items other than seeds, as the immediate activation and the effect of blocking priority provided by Psychic Surge are the major factors in it being broken. It will have to be observed in the coming days.

This team seems to lose so badly to stall with prankster, which every stall team runs now. Have you been able to beat them at all consistently? Seems that's by far the best team in the meta currently.

Regen should 100% be banned though. With FurScales Regenerator and prankster, there aren't any teams that actually check Stall consistently now. I don't know what the reticence is in banning some power away from stall teams. A team needs to be built from the ground up to beat furscales teams now, and then you lose to every other archetype. Regenerator definitely has no reason to be allowed, and on top of that a complex ban for prankster should be considered. Stall is far and away the best archetype in this gamemode and has been the entire time, and with weather and other forms of speed control out, simple out, I don't see why stall isn't getting beat down outside of contrary being removed. Stall has so many powerful options to take that it crowds out almost every offensive archetype besides no guard, hustle, adaptability, which it can still beat with regenerator a large percentage of the time.
Doesn't matter now, but it depends.

If it's Whimsicott, it always loses to the combination of pressure prankster haze and regenerator.

If it's Grimmsnarl, it's easier for the team to break through because Grimmsnarl has a much harder time eating and pressure stalling Superpower.

I haven't played any Sableye stall, but I assume that would have a harder time with the Dracos.

Last edited:
The combination of Psychic Surge + Unburden is now banned. Psychic Surge, together with Unburden, invalidates any other offensive strategy. Furthermore, when combined with Contrary, it puts overwhelming pressure on defensive builds as their counter measures (Prankster) are nullified.

It is uncertain how Unburden would fair when used with other terrains, or items other than seeds, as the immediate activation and the effect of blocking priority provided by Psychic Surge are the major factors in it being broken. It will have to be observed in the coming days.
How most non stall players feel now(or at least how I feel now about toxapex)
A short meme about toxapex

Just hit rank 8 with this screens setup team:

Persian-Alola @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Fur Coat
EVs: 252 HP / 8 Atk / 248 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Parting Shot
- U-turn
- Taunt

Kommo-o @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Drain Punch
- Earthquake
- Taunt

Grimmsnarl (M) @ Eject Button
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Taunt
- Light Screen
- Thunder Wave
- Spirit Break

Necrozma @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Prism Armor
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Photon Geyser
- Calm Mind
- Substitute
- Heat Wave

Bronzong @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Explosion
- Gyro Ball
- Earthquake

Hawlucha @ Power Herb
Jolly Nature
- Sky Attack
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Acrobatics

Untitled.png

Light Screen from Grimmsnarl and Fur Coat lets my Necrozma/Hawlucha/Kommo-o setup and then outspeed most offensive teams with Unburden.

Prankster+Taunt on Kommo-o and Prankster+Substitute on Necrozma wins easily against furscales stall. Photon Geyser ignores Ice Scales and has a chance to ohko phys def Toxapex unboosted, and guarantee ohko any Toxapex at +1. I don't think I've lost a single game to furscales stall since I started using Necrozma.

Bronzong is there to provide Levitate to dodge Sticky Webs, and give Stealth Rocks against teams running Sturdy.

The only hard matchups I've found are other Unburden teams or Sand Spit+Sand Rush teams that run sweepers faster than mine.

Last edited:
English isn't my native language and excuse me if something I'm going to write conjugates bad the verbs, but ok, yesterday I saw at least two people complain in the Chat about Unaware's Ban (which is funny, considering how before the Ban everyone were complaining in the Chat how unaware should got ban), there were people saying that it wasn't Broken at all, and that Unaware wasn't difficult to counter, I told them Unaware completely nullified the stats boost teams, and they answered "just use Stored Power or Power Trip!" , then they start talking about how Hustle + etc counter Unaware, and other things like that (and those two people didn't leave me with the impression that they played a lot of the meta when one unaware wasn't banned, tbh).

So, I felt that I should have said something about all of this here, and explain why I think Unaware should never be unbanned, and why Unaware + Furrscales was many times more broken than the current Regenerator + Furrscales.

You see, what makes Unaware (in conjunction with Ice Scales and Furr Coat) broken and the problem with that ability, WASN'T the fact that it nullifies the opponent's stats boost, in fact that was never the problem, the problem is that Unaware does that, while it doesn't nullify the stats boost of the pokemon itself with the ability, such as your defenses increases through cosmic power, so basically Unaware gave the ability to any pokemon to boost their own stats, while denying such capacity to his opponent.

I know that all of you know what Clef can do, and what she is capable of.

Well then, can Stored Power or Power Trip fix the problem ?? Let's see

How much damage does a Modest Mew, with Adaptability, with a Mind Plate, with +6 in spee def spd (remember the Clef has Unaware, so no spa boost), with Stored Power, to an Ice Scales Clef with +2 in defenses?

1.png

Is a guaranteed 3HKO, it isn't even a guaranteed 2HKO, and you guys know, it isn't difficult for Clef to find a moment to get those +2 Cosmic Power Up, and from that moment Clef will only continue to use Cosmic Power and recover himself, and this will get worse and worse.

2.png

even if we change stored power to be, i don't know, a water type move, in the rain, to simulate something like flare boost, it doesn't make too much difference, and i don't know how you're supposed to get +6 on 3 stats while Clef only got 3 cosmic power up.

3.png

And what about Power Trip? Well let's check Power Trip, against the exact same Clef that was sp defense (with Furcoar instead of scales to do the calculation, obviously), and a Huge Power Corviknight to simulate Hustle + Guts + No Guard.

4.png

I think that should clearly prove my first point, Stats boost becomes a completely dead weight strategy/playstyle against an Unaware team, in that circumstance you can't do 'anything'.

Well and what about the other side of the argument, was possible to beat Unaware before, with Hustle + Adaptability + Etc, right? Well not exactly, you see, what happens with Furr Coat and Ice Scales, is that both add a x2 to the defenses of your pokemon, not a x1.5, this means that, when you are stacking attack power through Hustle + Guts for example, what you are really doing is, basically, just removing the defense increase via Fur Coat on your opponent, in order to have the regular attack level what your pokemon should have, and of course you can continue increasing your attack power with other abilities from there, but only up to a point, while Clef will be able to continue raising his defenses when you reach your top, without even trying too much.

Let's see how much damage a Choice Banded Skill Link Technician Terrakion does, with +1 Attack to simulate Hustle + No Guard, to the exact same Clef, with +2 cosmic power up:

6.png

much better, and that Clef is dead if she fails to recover while trying to use Cosmic Power again, but what if the Clef is Max Def?

7.png

That doesn't look good

Then, If you are fighting a +Def Clef, you have to kill it before she can get +2 with Cosmic Power, or else you lose the moment Clef gets there, and even if you manage to kill Clef, your opponent's team could have another pokemon in the back with the same strategy specifically designed to counter the one you just used to kill Clef, something that isn't so difficult to do, since any pokemon that learns Cosmic Power or learns Shell Smash to make the Shell Smash + Contrary combo, plus a Recovery move, can abuse this strategy. Jirachi for example, resists all the Skill Link moves except Pin Missile, is much more bulky than Clef, and Clef can handle those dark types pokemon that can kill Jirachi or handle Dragapult depending on the case.

This is the reason why Steel Spam was the best strategy against Unaware in the old Meta, because that kills Clef (and Steel Spam was a separate problem, since it was a Combo that was already broken by itself), and it turns out that not even Steel Spam guaranteed you to beat Unaware, ignoring that perhaps your opponent has a Jirachi or something like that, also your opponent could use another Unaware mon, like Pyukumuku, who may not be able to increase his Defenses, and he isn't as good as Clef, but he is bulky and annoying.

8.png

Anyway, the problem is that although you could design a team to counter a specific Unaware team, for an Unaware team is not difficult at all or complicated to adapt to counter that counter, since the Unaware + Furrscales combo was very easy to use and could be combined with many things effortlessly.

Do you want to Toxic that Clef to dead until run out of PP in his Heal Bell? Clef doesn't even need Heal Bell, his team could have Immunity Snorlax!, What about just use Taunt? It isn't a problem! The enemy team could have Aroma Veil too to prevent that! and so, I could go on and on with more examples. Suction Cups prevents switch, Soundproof nullifies Perish Song and Roar, and with Corrosion your Shell Smash Contrary Shuckle can use Toxic on everybody.

You can't counter every Unaware 'counter' in just one of yours Unaware team, but find a Unaware team that you can counter with one of these tricks is just luck.

Soo, what options do you have? Haze to dead until you remove all PP from Cosmic Power? What if the Clef team has Pressure + Prankster? Then you have 24 turns to make the Clef waste all his Cosmic Power PP if you don't have Pressure too, like 16 turns if you have, and then what happens? Your opponent switches into his Jirachi who has the exact same moveset. Do you have to run Haze on at least two of your Pokemons then?

The other option you have left is use Leech Seed, but +3 def /spdef Clef doesn't care about that at all, then... Leech Seed + Haze + Excadrill...? Your best option maybe is trick a Choice Scarf and that requires a lot of prediction, not to mention that there is no lack of the madman who run Sticky Hold in his Clef team. I think Jirachi is the ''best'' Counter because he can Flinch to Dead the pokemon who is increasing their defenses, and you know how ''fun and strategic'' that is.

The only 'true' way to counter Unaware, was to literally also use Unaware, since if you put an Unaware mon in your Hustle + Guts + No Guard + Adaptability team, then your pokemon could ignore the boost in the defense of your opponent, and directly damage them, and them couldn't do anything about it. Even the Stored Power / Power Trip strategy works if you had someone with Unaware on your team.

then, Unaware was such a broken ability, that it forced you to run Unaware in order to defeat it, or Flinch a pokemon to dead, the one that suit you better, any other solution could be destroyed if your opponent was ready for it, with a specific ability to cancel that.

I just wanted to share my thoughts on the thread about this, I am sorry that I didn't support much of what I said with replays since I didn't save any during the time unaware wasn't banned and I was playing, and I only saw one person using the Clef + Jirachi combo during that time in the ladder, because apparently nobody else came up with it. But I really hope that Unaware stay banned forever, I'm not sure if my post is going to be useful for someone to understand what was the problem with Unaware, but I didn't lose anything with trying.

Regarding Furrscales, I don't see a problem with it at all, even considering the combo with Regenerator, because I see Furrscales as something that keeps the Meta in ''balance'', and most of the time isn't the big deal.

Look at it this way, if you use Guts + Hustle + No Guard, your opponent must spend a space of his team to put Persian-Alola to cancel that, and you can continue increasing from there.

For example, let's say you use a team of Guts + Hustle + No Guard + Sand Spit + Sand Rush, well all you have to do is find an opportunity to use Sword Dance with Excadrill and that Toxapex as the complete team, is dead. That's the whole point of boosting your team, is not about ''make your pokemon more powerful'', is more about make your pokemon overcome your opponent's defenses

Now the problem you could have in that situation is if the Toxapex also has Levitate due to his teammates, but you can solve that with Gravity, which is not a bad move in fact, since Gravity is useful for handle both Rotom and Corviknight.

Last edited:
English isn't my native language and excuse me if something I'm going to write conjugates bad the verbs, but ok, yesterday I saw at least two people complain in the Chat about Unaware's Ban (which is funny, considering how before the Ban everyone were complaining in the Chat how unaware should got ban), there were people saying that it wasn't Broken at all, and that Unaware wasn't difficult to counter, I told them Unaware completely nullified the stats boost teams, and they answered "just use Stored Power or Power Trip!" , then they start talking about how Hustle + etc counter Unaware, and other things like that (and those two people didn't leave me with the impression that they played a lot of the meta when one unaware wasn't banned, tbh).

So, I felt that I should have said something about all of this here, and explain why I think Unaware should never be unbanned, and why Unaware + Furrscales was many times more broken than the current Regenerator + Furrscales.

You see, what makes Unaware (in conjunction with Ice Scales and Furr Coat) broken and the problem with that ability, WASN'T the fact that it nullifies the opponent's stats boost, in fact that was never the problem, the problem is that Unaware does that, while it doesn't nullify the stats boost of the pokemon itself with the ability, such as your defenses increases through cosmic power, so basically Unaware gave the ability to any pokemon to boost their own stats, while denying such capacity to his opponent.

I know that all of you know what Clef can do, and what she is capable of.

Well then, can Stored Power or Power Trip fix the problem ?? Let's see

How much damage does a Modest Mew, with Adaptability, with a Mind Plate, with +6 in spee def spd (remember the Clef has Unaware, so no spa boost), with Stored Power, to an Ice Scales Clef with +2 in defenses?

Is a guaranteed 3HKO, it isn't even a guaranteed 2HKO, and you guys know, it isn't difficult for Clef to find a moment to get those +2 Cosmic Power Up, and from that moment Clef will only continue to use Cosmic Power and recover himself, and this will get worse and worse.

even if we change stored power to be, i don't know, a water type move, in the rain, to simulate something like flare boost, it doesn't make too much difference, and i don't know how you're supposed to get +6 on 3 stats while Clef only got 3 cosmic power up.

And what about Power Trip? Well let's check Power Trip, against the exact same Clef that was sp defense (with Furcoar instead of scales to do the calculation, obviously), and a Huge Power Corviknight to simulate Hustle + Guts + No Guard.

I think that should clearly prove my first point, Stats boost becomes a completely dead weight strategy/playstyle against an Unaware team, in that circumstance you can't do 'anything'.

Well and what about the other side of the argument, was possible to beat Unaware before, with Hustle + Adaptability + Etc, right? Well not exactly, you see, what happens with Furr Coat and Ice Scales, is that both add a x2 to the defenses of your pokemon, not a x1.5, this means that, when you are stacking attack power through Hustle + Guts for example, what you are really doing is, basically, just removing the defense increase via Fur Coat on your opponent, in order to have the regular attack level what your pokemon should have, and of course you can continue increasing your attack power with other abilities from there, but only up to a point, while Clef will be able to continue raising his defenses when you reach your top, without even trying too much.

Let's see how much damage a Choice Banded Skill Link Technician Terrakion does, with +1 Attack to simulate Hustle + No Guard, to the exact same Clef, with +2 cosmic power up:

much better, and that Clef is dead if she fails to recover while trying to use Cosmic Power again, but what if the Clef is Max Def?

That doesn't look good

Then, If you are fighting a +Def Clef, you have to kill it before she can get +2 with Cosmic Power, or else you lose the moment Clef gets there, and even if you manage to kill Clef, your opponent's team could have another pokemon in the back with the same strategy specifically designed to counter the one you just used to kill Clef, something that isn't so difficult to do, since any pokemon that learns Cosmic Power or learns Shell Smash to make the Shell Smash + Contrary combo, plus a Recovery move, can abuse this strategy. Jirachi for example, resists all the Skill Link moves except Pin Missile, is much more bulky than Clef, and Clef can handle those dark types pokemon that can kill Jirachi or handle Dragapult depending on the case.

This is the reason why Steel Spam was the best strategy against Unaware in the old Meta, because that kills Clef (and Steel Spam was a separate problem, since it was a Combo that was already broken by itself), and it turns out that not even Steel Spam guaranteed you to beat Unaware, ignoring that perhaps your opponent has a Jirachi or something like that, also your opponent could use another Unaware mon, like Pyukumuku, who may not be able to increase his Defenses, and he isn't as good as Clef, but he is bulky and annoying.

Anyway, the problem is that although you could design a team to counter a specific Unaware team, for an Unaware team is not difficult at all or complicated to adapt to counter that counter, since the Unaware + Furrscales combo was very easy to use and could be combined with many things effortlessly.

Do you want to Toxic that Clef to dead until run out of PP in his Heal Bell? Clef doesn't even need Heal Bell, his team could have Immunity Snorlax!, What about just use Taunt? It isn't a problem! The enemy team could have Aroma Veil too to prevent that! and so, I could go on and on with more examples. Suction Cups prevents switch, Soundproof nullifies Perish Song and Roar, and with Corrosion your Shell Smash Contrary Shuckle can use Toxic on everybody.

You can't counter every Unaware 'counter' in just one of yours Unaware team, but find a Unaware team that you can counter with one of these tricks is just luck.

Soo, what options do you have? Haze to dead until you remove all PP from Cosmic Power? What if the Clef team has Pressure + Prankster? Then you have 24 turns to make the Clef waste all his Cosmic Power PP if you don't have Pressure too, like 16 turns if you have, and then what happens? Your opponent switches into his Jirachi who has the exact same moveset. Do you have to run Haze on at least two of your Pokemons then?

The other option you have left is use Leech Seed, but +3 def /spdef Clef doesn't care about that at all, then... Leech Seed + Haze + Excadrill...? Your best option maybe is trick a Choice Scarf and that requires a lot of prediction, not to mention that there is no lack of the madman who run Sticky Hold in his Clef team. I think Jirachi is the ''best'' Counter because he can Flinch to Dead the pokemon who is increasing their defenses, and you know how ''fun and strategic'' that is.

The only 'true' way to counter Unaware, was to literally also use Unaware, since if you put an Unaware mon in your Hustle + Guts + No Guard + Adaptability team, then your pokemon could ignore the boost in the defense of your opponent, and directly damage them, and them couldn't do anything about it. Even the Stored Power / Power Trip strategy works if you had someone with Unaware on your team.

then, Unaware was such a broken ability, that it forced you to run Unaware in order to defeat it, or Flinch a pokemon to dead, the one that suit you better, any other solution could be destroyed if your opponent was ready for it, with a specific ability to cancel that.

I just wanted to share my thoughts on the thread about this, I am sorry that I didn't support much of what I said with replays since I didn't save any during the time unaware wasn't banned and I was playing, and I only saw one person using the Clef + Jirachi combo during that time in the ladder, because apparently nobody else came up with it. But I really hope that Unaware stay banned forever, I'm not sure if my post is going to be useful for someone to understand what was the problem with Unaware, but I didn't lose anything with trying.

Regarding Furrscales, I don't see a problem with it at all, even considering the combo with Regenerator, because I see Furrscales as something that keeps the Meta in ''balance'', and most of the time isn't the big deal.

Look at it this way, if you use Guts + Hustle + No Guard, your opponent must spend a space of his team to put Persian-Alola to cancel that, and you can continue increasing from there.

For example, let's say you use a team of Guts + Hustle + No Guard + Sand Spit + Sand Rush, well all you have to do is find an opportunity to use Sword Dance with Excadrill and that Toxapex as the complete team, is dead. That's the whole point of boosting your team, is not about ''make your pokemon more powerful'', is more about make your pokemon overcome your opponent's defenses

Now the problem you could have in that situation is if the Toxapex also has Levitate due to his teammates, but you can solve that with Gravity, which is not a bad move in fact, since Gravity is useful for handle both Rotom and Corviknight.
Nah Toxapex is the ultimate threat to 80% of the meta, when I was using a contrary team, not even at 2.5 Atk up could I kill a toxapex

Last edited:
Sand Spit + Sand Rush should also be banned, it literally does the same thing as the weather ability + weather speed boost abilites.

This seems really inane. The current psychic surge unburden teams don't invalidate prankster teams. Prankster stall always won against the popular psychic surge unburden teams as long as it took the right prankster user. How was this more destructive than stall? In addition to that, if that invalidates other offensive strategies, how does Prankster, Fur Coat, Ice Scales, Regenerator not invalidate other defensive strategies? There are so many defensive options completely crowded out by the much much superior current stall teams, and we're banning one of the few teams that beat one flavor of it? Now, it's just hustle no guard teams vs. stall, because stall "invalidates any other offensive strategy."

I was using a contrary team, not even at 2.5 Atk up could I kill a toxapex
pex.png

( +1 by Hustle, +1 by Guts, +2 after one Sword Dance)

And without a Sword Dance up ... :

pex 2.png

lol, still can kill it

Which was your team exactly? Did it had an Adaptability + No Guard + Hustle combo? or Adaptability + Guts? Because these kind of combinations are important to get through the defense that Fur Coat gives.

This seems really inane. The current psychic surge unburden teams don't invalidate prankster teams. Prankster stall always won against the popular psychic surge unburden teams as long as it took the right prankster user. How was this more destructive than stall? In addition to that, if that invalidates other offensive strategies, how does Prankster, Fur Coat, Ice Scales, Regenerator not invalidate other defensive strategies? There are so many defensive options completely crowded out by the much much superior current stall teams, and we're banning one of the few teams that beat one flavor of it? Now, it's just hustle no guard teams vs. stall, because stall "invalidates any other offensive strategy."
I agree. This is mad bullshit

iLlama

Nothing personal, I protect my people
I want to keep this relatively short because I don't feel there's too much to explain here.

After playing, testing, and watching a ton more matches over the past day I think we're approaching some of the problems with abilities inefficiently. Prankster Haze is still a powerful counter to Contrary offense because Psychic Terrain really is not an issue for it. Weather + speed boosting and Surge Surfer are already banned but Unburden, with the help of seeds, isn't? Unburden + Terrain is the ultimate offensive archetype because it should beat any team composition outside of Regenerator Stall without much effort. This may make it look like Regenerator stall is so good that it can't lose to the best offense out there. However, the real issue is that it seems like Unburden + Terrain offense invalidates any teams that would be able to beat Regenerator stall. It's obvious that when paired with instant terrain setup in Psychic and Electric Surge is stupidly powerful, but even if a team just runs a set terrain move on multiple Pokemon it will still be the strongest offensive archetype as soon as terrain goes up. Banning the combination of Unburden + Terrain abilities I don't see as the best approach in this scenario.

It feels like we're just overlooking the real problem child in this instance, being Unburden. I think we should ban Unburden.

I do think Regenerator still needs to be looked into. If we can't bring teams that are able to break through stall (I've made a few comps that beat Regenerator stall, don't want to reveal the builds) because of the threat of this insane offense blowing us back, why wouldn't we bring the insane offense or stall?

Last edited:
View attachment 235850

( +1 by Hustle, +1 by Guts, +2 after one Sword Dance)

And without a Sword Dance up ... :

View attachment 235851

lol, still can kill it

Which was your team exactly? Did it had an Adaptability + No Guard + Hustle combo? or Adaptability + Guts? Because these kind of combinations are important to get through the defense that Fur Coat gives.
1500 Contrary(Proudly used after BepsiMax posted it)
Also it doesn't even need to be a regenerator toxapex, just a good old haze and spam recover with furscales toxapex will do.
Person below me though, toxapex with furscales and recover could stall a lot of things(and at least wait to suggest the electric seed ban until I make a 2nd part to the meme I did some time ago

Last edited:
I am requesting to ban Electric Surge + Unburden​

As we saw earlier today, Psychic Surge + Unburden was banned; which was much needed. As The Immortal said in his post, "Psychic Surge, together with Unburden, invalidates any other offensive strategy. Furthermore, when combined with Contrary, it puts overwhelming pressure on defensive builds as their counter measures (Prankster) are nullified". The same concept takes place with Electric Surge. The combination of summoning terrain and having a Pokemon's speed doubled in the same turn is not balanced for this metagame. It sets up too quickly for any form of team to deal with the threats it presents. When combined with Contrary, Pokemon such as Hydreigon, Rotom, Kyurem, Dragapult, Celebi, et cetera gain a +2 +2 boost with strong hitting stabs which not to mention can be further powered up with Adaptability. Most of the Pokemon listed above have passive recovery options that give these dominant threats longevity. These Pokemon proceed to snowball and rip through teams with minimal to no counter play.

Granted, with the removal of Psychic Terrain, there is finally a check in priority moves. but this is not nearly enough. A common strategy I have seen while laddering and playing with friends is Prankster + Haze. This is the only consistent check to this strategy. Please note that this strategy was also used while Psychic Terrain was allowed. This strategy is able to work because Haze does not target a Pokemon but rather the field itself allowing it to bypass Psychic Terrain. The only additional counter play that has been added is the use of a priority move such as Mach Punch, Sucker Punch, First Impression, etc. The Pokemon in this metagame can handle the threat of a damge dealing priority move as well. This is unhealthy for the metagame because you should not be forced to run a priority move to check a strategy that defeats 90% of the meta.

In conclusion, the concept a summoned terrain + Unburden is overpowered due to the lack of checks and counters. I agree with what iLlama has said above, as we have discussed this topic over the past 24 hours. However, the difference in my opinion with his is the issue is Terrain + Unburden, not Unburden by itself. A Pokemon like Hawlucha should be allowed to run Swords Dance + Substitute while holding a Sitrus Berry. With minimal counter play, this strategy must be banned.

Edit: In addition, this strategy is very similar to Misty Terrain, the only difference is Draco Meteor can be nerfed. Both still overpowered.

Last edited:
Just hit rank 8 with this screens setup team:

Persian-Alola @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Fur Coat
EVs: 252 HP / 8 Atk / 248 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Parting Shot
- U-turn
- Taunt

Kommo-o @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Drain Punch
- Earthquake
- Taunt

Grimmsnarl (M) @ Eject Button
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Taunt
- Light Screen
- Thunder Wave
- Spirit Break

Necrozma @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Prism Armor
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Photon Geyser
- Calm Mind
- Substitute
- Heat Wave

Bronzong @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Explosion
- Gyro Ball
- Earthquake

Hawlucha @ Power Herb
Jolly Nature
- Sky Attack
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Acrobatics

Light Screen from Grimmsnarl and Fur Coat lets my Necrozma/Hawlucha/Kommo-o setup and then outspeed most offensive teams with Unburden.

Prankster+Taunt on Kommo-o and Prankster+Substitute on Necrozma wins easily against furscales stall. Photon Geyser ignores Ice Scales and has a chance to ohko phys def Toxapex unboosted, and guarantee ohko any Toxapex at +1. I don't think I've lost a single game to furscales stall since I started using Necrozma.

Bronzong is there to provide Levitate to dodge Sticky Webs, and give Stealth Rocks against teams running Sturdy.

The only hard matchups I've found are other Unburden teams or Sand Spit+Sand Rush teams that run sweepers faster than mine.
I'm really vibing with this balanced team. Congrats on breaking Top 10!

I am requesting to ban Electric Surge + Unburden​

As we saw earlier today, Psychic Surge + Unburden was banned; which was much needed. As The Immortal said in his post, "Psychic Surge, together with Unburden, invalidates any other offensive strategy. Furthermore, when combined with Contrary, it puts overwhelming pressure on defensive builds as their counter measures (Prankster) are nullified". The same concept takes place with Electric Surge. The combination of summoning terrain and having a Pokemon's speed doubled in the same turn is not balanced for this metagame. It sets up too quickly for any form of team to deal with the threats it presents. When combined with Contrary, Pokemon such as Hydreigon, Rotom, Kyurem, Dragapult, Celebi, et cetera gain a +2 +2 boost with strong hitting stabs which not to mention can be further powered up with Adaptability. Most of the Pokemon listed above have passive recovery options that give these dominant threats longevity. These Pokemon proceed to snowball and rip through teams with minimal to no counter play.

Granted, with the removal of Psychic Terrain, there is finally a check in priority moves. but this is not nearly enough. A common strategy I have seen while laddering and playing with friends is Prankster + Haze. This is the only consistent check to this strategy. Please note that this strategy was also used while Psychic Terrain was allowed. This strategy is able to work because Haze does not target a Pokemon but rather the field itself allowing it to bypass Psychic Terrain. The only additional counter play that has been added is the use of a priority move such as Mach Punch, Sucker Punch, First Impression, etc. The Pokemon in this metagame can handle the threat of a damge dealing priority move as well. This is unhealthy for the metagame because you should not be forced to run a priority move to check a strategy that defeats 90% of the meta.

In conclusion, the concept a summoned terrain + Unburden is overpowered due to the lack of checks and counters. I agree with what iLlama has said above, as we have discussed this topic over the past 24 hours. However, the difference in my opinion with his is the issue is Terrain + Unburden, not Unburden by itself. A Pokemon like Hawlucha should be allowed to run Swords Dance + Substitute while holding a Sitrus Berry. With minimal counter play, this strategy must be banned.
I echo this sentiment too, I haven't had a chance today to climb with another team, but I've been using Misty Surge + Unburden + Contrary when I've had a chance and it doesn't feel much different. (I prefer dropping my special defense since most priority is physical, and Weezing feels better to me). Though obviously, Electric Terrain boost the power of your electric attacks to give you a chance of breaking corviknight or toxapex.

Dragapult has the resistances/immunity to eat a hit of most priority except sucker punch while outspeeding most of the meta. For sucker punch you can save a bulkier dark or fighting type which offers other boosting abilities for the team (Crawdaunt comes to mind).

So yeah, I agree on banning Terrain Surge+Unburden :toast:

From what I heard the combination of Terrain+Unburden was an issue last Gen too.

So i played a bit more on ladder tonight and turns out FurScales is really strong when you have it on a 100+ base def mon. For example, did you know how much guts adaptability drain punch does to a fur coat ferrothorn ?
+1 252+ Atk Adaptability Conkeldurr Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Fur Coat Ferrothorn: 172-204 (48.8 - 57.9%) -- 45.3% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
I mean that's nice and all but imagine setting up with like Crawdaunt for example
+2 252+ Atk Choice Band Adaptability Crawdaunt Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Fur Coat Ferrothorn: 196-232 (55.6 - 65.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Really good damage right ? Now consider this : Ferrothorn also has iron barbs, pressure, and regenerator
Good thing you can hit him for so hard, but can you ? Your opponent is good swap right ? And yet you commited to that setup, but i mean you gotta break through somehow. Let's say he switched out for Toxapex (really uncommon mon btw)
+2 252+ Atk Choice Band Adaptability Crawdaunt Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Fur Coat Toxapex: 176-208 (57.8 - 68.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
You know the fun part about that ? He's gonna haze now, how much will you do next ? Let's say he has sticky hold.
252+ Atk Choice Band Adaptability Crawdaunt Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Fur Coat Toxapex: 90-106 (29.6 - 34.8%) -- 8.6% chance to 3HKO
you won't kill it.
You won't kill a Toxapex Fur Coat Sticky Hold unless he switched in on Entry Hazards, and you hit Knock Off with Guts/Hustle + Adaptability Crawdaunt at +2

My point here is that, i'm starting to believe that Fur Coat is too strong. I don't want to have to play AT LEAST Hustle+Adaptability AND SETUP to even have a chance of killing it on Offense. That's just beyond ridiculous. I have yet to determine wether Regenerator is too strong since it would help wear down these walls, or maybe FurScales, or maybe just Toxapex who knows.

On another topic, why is only Psychic Surge+Unburden banned ? Like, how will it impact the matchup against stall whatsoever ? When you see Psychic Terrain you just don't send in your Prankster if you happen to have one and there you go. I'm not even sure Haze is affected by that (would need confirmation on that). If the issue is having a +2 instant speed boost, then ban Electric Surge/Misty Surge ++ Unburden as well. Maybe Sand Spit++Sand Rush deserves the same treatment, but i don't know.

TL;DR i wish of a metagame where stall isn't the standard and every good team gravitates around the same 2 mon core forever.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)