Shades of Gray and Green

SHADES OF GRAY (AND GREEN)
Also know as "F**k that Cactus"

This team is somewhat odd, using properties from Sand Stall, Trick Room, and Hyper Offense to get the job done. Despite looking jumbled and messy, the team has performed quite well. The only time I've lost is via major hax, so I think it's solid, but I always like a second opinion.

Team at a Glance:

In-Depth

Hippowdon (F) @

Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 184 HP / 84 Def / 240 SDef
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Stealth Rock
- Roar

Why this Pokemon?

Hippowdon supports the team in many ways. Cacturne, Aggron, and Reuniclus all benefit from the Sandstorm for it's residual damage, making KOs easier, and giving Evasion and SpD to Cacturne and Aggron respectively. Being a tank and supporting the team makes Hippowdon a very valuable Pokemon.

Moves, EVs, Nature, Item

Stealth Rock is an obvious must, making OHKO's even easier on most things. Earthquake is there for an option for attacking, and Roar can phaze out things that are silly enough to try and set up. Slack Off makes it even more of a tank. The EVs and Nature are pretty standard, allowing for maximum overall bulk.

Rotom-W @

Trait: Levitate
EVs: 128 HP / 252 SAtk / 128 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Change
- Trick

Why this Pokemon?

I felt the need for a solid Water-type on my team, as well as an immunity to Ground, so Rotom-W was a clear choice. As the only Rotom-A to still be good with the generation shift, it feels good to use a Pokemon who served me so well last gen. This guy tears through teams easily with just STABs, and is still rather bulky. Rotom is the main attacking force when Trick Room isn't up.

Moves, EVs, Nature, Item

Volt Change is an amazing move. IMO, it's one of the best moves in the game (though sadly worse than U-turn). Thunderbolt and Hydro Pump are basic STAB, which are crazy strong with Specs. Trick is used to mess up defensive Pokemon, typically on a predicted switch (Tricking Ferrothorn and Blissey causes so many ragequits). Max SpA makes Rotom hit really, really hard. Spe and HP EVs give it a good amount of bulk while still being rather fast.

Aggron (M) @

Trait: Rock Head
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Head Smash
- Aqua Tail
- Ice Punch
- Superpower

Why this Pokemon?

Good lord where do I begin. This thing eats the universe for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and a midnight snack. I can't even begin to describe how much I love Aggron. The raw power it possesses is insane, and because it's fairly slow, it outruns most things under Trick Room. Probably the MVP of the team.

Moves, EVs, Nature, Item

Head Smash breaks the game to pieces. Superpower covers Steels, amongst other things, that resist Head Smash. Ice Punch offers a strong hit for Garchomp and Gliscor, and Aqua Tail is filler, but can catch a predicted switch to a Ground-type fairly safely. Max HP allows for good survivability, with 180 Base Defense and SS-boosted SpD to go with it. Max Attack and Adamant Nature make it hit as hard as possible. Choice Band sends it's power even higher.

Machamp (M) @

Trait: No Guard
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- DynamicPunch
- Payback
- Bullet Punch
- Stone Edge

Why this Pokemon?

A better question would be: "Why aren't you using this Pokemon?" Machamp is an amazing Pokemon, as anyone who has played this game knows. A move that is sure to cause confusion that can't miss? Hell yes. Machamp wears things down with it's power and sometimes with some hax, and is overall just amazing (Still my favorite competitive Pokemon)

Moves, EVs, Nature, Item

Dynamicpunch with No Guard is the reason to use Machamp. Even though it was nerfed this gen, Payback is still a solid choice on something slow like Machamp. Stone Edge is finally reliable, and Bullet Punch is nifty for picking off weakened opponents. The EVs and an Adamant nature allow for maximum power and bulk, with an extra point in Spe to outrun other 4 Spe Machamp. Lefties are obvious for longevity.

Cacturne (M) @

Trait: Sand Veil
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naughty Nature (+Atk, -SDef)
- Swords Dance
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Seed Bomb
- Sucker Punch

Why this Pokemon?

Because it's the boss. Swords Dance against Volcarona who are silly enough to set up, and get Sucker Punched. Like a boss. Guaranteed OHKO on non-SpD Scizor with HP Fire. Like a boss.
Sucker Punch for an OHKO on any Latios who think they'll waste Cacturne. Like a boss. In case you haven't gotten the picture yet, Cacturne is the boss.

Ok, so really, I love Cacturne. The team was originally being built with Reuniclus as the central Pokemon, and I wanted something sneaky that could wreck both of it's usual counters, Scizor and Tyranitar. Looking around, an old favorite from my first Sapphire run caught my eye. After running some calcs, I was sold.

Moves, EVs, Nature, Item

Hidden Power Fire is a guaranteed OHKO on standard Scizor with Life Orb, which is why it is chosen over Brightpowder. Swords Dance is used for setting up when people get cocky and try and set up on Cacturne. Sucker Punch is it's main attacking move, and Seed Bomb is auxillary STAB that can do quite a lot of damage after a Swords Dance. Max Atk with a boosting nature allows it to hit quite hard, while the Spe EVs ensure that it outrun standard Scizor and non-Scarf Tyranitar. Naughty is chosen over Adamant for Hidden Power to still be usable, and Naughty over Lonely so that Bullet Punches won't kill.

Reuniclus (M) @

Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SAtk
Quiet Nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
- Psycho Shock
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Trick Room

Why this Pokemon?

As demonstrated by the article about it in The Smog, Reuniclus was a dark horse when the games first came out. Now, everyone knows what a beast Reuniclus is. Recoil-less Life Orb, immunity to damage from Spikes, Stealth Rock, Poison, and Burn is amazing. Having great natural bulk and lots of power, Reuniclus is a top dog in the metagame. For the hell of it, I tried the Trick Room set, and made the team around it. It has proven to be quite a monster.

Moves, EVs, Nature, Item

Life Orb gives it a large power boost with no drawbacks. Psyshock is a great STAB, and it really messes with people expecting a purely special set. Trick Room makes this team work, by allowing Reuniclus, as well as Aggron and Machamp, eat teams alive while being faster. Shadow Ball and HP Fighting (I won't use Focus Miss) offer perfect neutral coverage with Psyshock. Max HP for bulk, Max SpA and Quiet for lots of power, while lowering Spe so that it is faster than almost everything under Trick Room. It also has a Spe IV of 2, for the lowest Spe possible while still maintaining 70 BP Hidden Power

Conclusion

So, yeah, this is my team. A bit unorthodox, but very, very successful. As always, there is room for improvement (that, and I'm a showoff). So, let me know what you think, and offer suggestions for improvement! Thanks in advance

Final Look:

Was initially unsure if I could give this a good rate, but since noone else has and that's a shame I'll give it a go.

Anyway, love Cacturne, have done since 4th Gen UU, so nice job adapting him to this meta. A lot of your team looks good, but I do have a few suggestions. On Rotom, since you have two Electric STABs of reasonably similar power (and probably won't be staying in more than one turn to use it often anyway) consider dropping one in favour of Shadow Ball or another coverage move, letting you deal with other threats resistant to your other moves. HP Fire looks like a good alternative too.

On Aggron, since Aqua Tail is filler, Fire Punch or even Thunderpunch seems a better alternative, trading power for the ability to exploit some 4x weaks. Iron Head could even be used as a second STAB, if you want.

It may just be me, but imo your Machamp's role is done somewhat better by Conkeldurr. He's bulkier, has better STAB priority, and can recover health if needed rather than confuse stuff. Payback and SE can both be used, or you can ditch one for the great BU set.

Not great advice but wanted to give you at least some, since noone has yet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)