SD Chomp (An Pokebank X/Y OU RMT)

SD Chomp (An Pokebank X/Y OU RMT)

Hai. Hello. Hola. Greetings. What's your name? ;]

Well, hello everyone. This is Touya. Back from the a super long hiatus from battling, and from posting stuff on Smogon. It's been like...4 months since I've posted my last RMT, wow. So...yeah. Anyways, the team today here is built around. Standard Garchomp with Swords Dance back from 4th Gen OU. Now here's a thing here. I mentioned in a chat that is go to from time to time called: "The Happy Place" back at Pokemon Showdown that I was going to use Mega Garchomp with a support of sticky web from Galvantula, however most people in the chat disagree of me using Mega Garchomp due to it's lackluster speed. Then many people said that it should stick with regular chomp instead of the mega one. That I agree and I thought to myself: "Hey, maybe I could like use a standard Garchomp set from 4th Gen, seeing how it's rarely seen in 6th Gen." And I am glad that I agree'd on sticking with regular chomp, due to the fact that I don't have to worry about being outsped by common threats in the X and Y OU Meta. Even though there's Smeargle and Galvantula, however that's not the case by all mean. The purpose of using regular chomp with SD and all was to benefit myself from using Mega Chomp in the metagame, and to use synergy to get off an open sweep in with chomp to use SD with Gyarados acting as a partner.

So, let's not hesitate any longer here and just dive into this RMT to see if it's beneficial or not of using regular chomp over Mega Chomp.

==================================================

Team At A Glance:

|
|
|
|
|

=================================================
In Depth Look:
|
|
|
|
|

========================================
Gyarados

Leftovers
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 88 HP / 248 Atk / 4 Def / 168 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Bounce

Speaking of Gyarados, here we start off with a threat back from Gen IV and V already. As mentioned before back in my RMT: "Last Attempt" Gyarados is one of the most threatening sweepers in the OU Meta. Now, let's put this in perspective. What's even more threatening when someone sending out this thing early in a match at Turn 1. Yes, having someone leading off with Gyarados at first site is not pretty at all. Even though it still hasn't changed from either DPP and BW, Gyarados is still a monster on the field, even till today. And this is great because as stated in the introduction, Gyarados is a fantastic partner for Garchomp, of having this bread and butter set back from the previous gen. Taunt acts as a crippling move to shut down pokemon that would completely wall Gyarados such as Ferrothorn and Skarmory. Dragon Dance...heh. You know the gimmick of it. Boosting up stats like there's no tomorrow. Waterfall here is the main STAB move that most people would run on Gyarados, due to this move having a 20% chance to flinch the opponent. Lastly Bounce acts like a covering move with Waterfall, hitting most bulky water-types and non-steel grass types as well such as Venusaur, etc. As for the EV spread, common sets on Gyarados would be running an Adamant nature. Here I'm running Jolly nature with a speed investment of 168 as presented above to outspeed checks such as Choice Scarf Terrakion for example. Despite having a 4x weakness to electric, Garchomp covers that weakness, thus making it why Garchomp and Gyarados make fantastic partners on the battlefield.

Heatran

Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Now, I know what you might be thinking. Even if we are in the sixth generation, many people still use Heatran till this day
(lol, rhyme.) The reason why is that Heatran is bar-none of the best fire types you would consider using on a standard team. Plus, Heatran acts like a nice check to Talonflame roaming around the X and Y Meta and Sableye if carrying Will-O-Wisp, having a obvious resistance to flying and not even caring about fire attacks due to having a nice ability: Flash Fire, that makes this thing immune to Fire-types (which is fairly obvious.) Okay, now what is Heatran's niche here, other than resisting Talonflame's Priority Brave Bird, stopping Sableye using Will-O-Wisp, shutting down Drought teams (if people still run that), being an excellent check to Fairies and being an answer to take down common threats such as Scizor, Venusaur, and Ferrothorn? Well, Heatran's niche is to set up entry hazards on the field with an offensive approach, acting as a check to dragon types..or just being a possible lead. Stealth Rock is an important hazard move, so that Volcarona would be crippled down to an HP range of 50% in where Gyarados can come in to OHKO it with Waterfall. Fire Blast is Heatran's best STAB move, OHKOing most common steel types that walls Garchomp such as Skarmory and Ferrothorn, when having a poor accuracy of 85%. Earth Power acts as a covering move for Heatran, getting off enough possible damage to Tyranitar, Terrakion, and opposing Heatrans. Another covering move is HP Ice, getting off enough damage to Dragonite, Salamance, Landorus-Therian, and Thundurs-Therian, one of Gyarados' check and switch in if not carrying Focus Blast. EV spread here is max speed with a timid nature to outspeed dragons and to deal with that lackluster speed of 77. Despite all these flaws that Heatran posses, it's still to be considered to be added on when building a team, and can be both an invaluable team player or a menacing adversary even if we're in the 6th Generation.

Venusaur

Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
Mega Ability: Thick Fat.
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Synthesis
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder

Talking about Venusaur, here we have the Chlorophyll Pokemon coming in the third slot. Now we know on how normal Venusaur works, right? When the sun's up and Chlorophyll starts to run, it becomes an very huge threat unless the opponent has Mamoswine or Abamasnow to deal with. Let's give this grass/poison type a mega evolution with the ability that Mamowsine has: Thick Fat, and watch on how the green giant becoming another huge problem on the field. For one thing I had to use Mega Venusaur because like Heatran, it can check opposing fairy types such as Banded Azumarill if lacks Ice Punch, and stops opposing anti-meta grass types such as Breloom and Amoonguss to use Spore. Synthesis is one of Venusaur's recovering move if gets hit really hard by an opposing pokemon (obviously.) Now if synthesis doesn't work out, Giga Drain acts like an alternative recovering move and getting off damage to bulky water types such as Azumarill as stated, and Rotom-Wash that resists Gyarados' STAB moves. Sludge Bomb is Mega Venusar's STAB move, completely destroys fairy types such as Syvleon, Clefable, and Florges. Lastly, Sleep Powder works as a favor to shut down walls if Taunt doesn't work out. Now, this is used as an advantage for me due to the fact that Garchomp can come in and get a nice OHKO with ease. Even though I've just told on how Mega Venusaur works, this thing has another thing that is capable of doing, and that's coming into a predictable switch of Conkeldurr or Mandibuzz if they used Knock Off, due to the move in the sixth generation gaining a buff. After of what I said about Mega Venusaur of having the ability that boosts the resistance of Fire and Ice-types moves, having an EV spread of 252 SAtack with a modest nature to eat up any kind of attack that is resistant, and acting like a check to Assault Vest users carrying Knock Off, most opponents would be standing on their toes when facing with this plant pokemon.

Cresselia

Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef
Bold Nature
- Moonlight
- Toxic
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Talking about eating up attacks, here we have the lunar pokemon from Sinnoh, Cresselia: Aka the best wall you can find on any team bar-none. Rarely you would see her on a Semi-Sun stall team. Even if that's the case, Cresselia still acts as a nice mixed wall on the field. Eating up any kind of attack that is throwned to Cresslia. Some of you might think that Cresselia is a weird choice for a wall, due to the fact that it's rarely seen on an OU team, but let's say if Heatran's Air Balloon was popped thus making it vulnerable to Ground type attacks, and putting me in a bad situation. That's were Cresselia comes into hand with it's ability: Levitate, that makes Cresselia immune to Ground types attacks. As for the moves here presented, Moonlight comes into mind as a recovering move. Toxic here acts as a crippling move on non-steep types and most threats as well. Now with toxic combined with moonlight, Cresselia here can use this as an advantage to stall out the opponent that would have a physical or a special attacker. Ice Beam is one of the attacking moves I've put on Cresselia to take care of opposing Dragon Types other than me stalling out with Moonlight (because IMO, I think doing stall is a bit boring...) Back on track, HP Fire is the other attacking move to catch most people off-guard if steel types comes into mind, such as common Scizor being dented. But that's not going to be enough damage to take it out due to having a bold nature and having a ev spread of 252 def. Despite of what Cresselia is going through, it still reminds IMO, of the best walls wall out there.

Togekiss

Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 Spd
Bold Nature
- Heal Bell
- Defog
- Thunder Wave
- Air Slash

Let's say if a person crippled my Gyarados or Heatran with Thunder Wave, Cresselia crippled with Toxic, or if Heatran goes down by it's check such as an opposing Gyardaos that would be the RestTalk variant, this is were Togekiss comes into hand as a favor. Acting like a back-up physical wall if Cresselia goes down unfortunately, being a defogger, and being a team player as well by healing up teammates with status moves onto them. Now, I'm gonna say this right here. I don't like Togekiss at all. And this is hypocritical of me saying that due to having Togekiss on my team here. The reason why I don't like this pokemon at all, because it's so darn good to use. And plus when I look for battles, I would always see an opponent that would have a Togekiss. Okay, that out of the way, Heal Bell is Togekiss' move of getting rid of status moves upon teammates. Defog here is important and the stable move for Togekiss, cause it gets rid of entry hazards on the field such as Stealth Rock that Gyarados doesn't like. Thunder Wave acts as a crippling move to slow down opposing sweepers such as Aegislash, Bisharp, opposing Gyarados, and scarf users. Lastly, Air Slash is one of the moves that I put for Togekiss to deal with grass and fighting types such as opposing Venusaur, Breloom, and Conkeldurr. Now this is another reason why Togekiss is a broken pokemon IMO, because Air Slash has a chance of flinching the opponent about like 30%, and due to Togekiss' ability here: Serene Grace, it makes the move to boost the likehood of flinching to 10%. Now adding that up to the flinching likehood percentage from Air Slash, and you end up having a
40% chance of flinching. Thus making me why I don't like Togekiss at all. A very annoying pokemon to face, making most opponents rage-quit in frustration, and let them talk trash to you in the chat while battling. Hey, that's what Togekiss is there for. To be a problem on the battlefield, while having the niche to heal up teammates that have status moves upon them, and getting rid of hazards as well.

Garchomp

Yache Berry
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Fang
- Earthquake

Concluding this RMT, we have the pokemon that was built around the team: Garchomp. Technically, if you've seen my last RMT: "Return Of Sand", this is nothing new seeing how Garchomp was the second member there that was a lead with a Focus Sash as a held item. However, this set here is a far more offensive approach. Yes, Garchomp did get a Mega evolution in this metagame, making it one of the scariest mixed sweepers out their tying with Kyurem-B. But, Regular Chomp here is still a threat regardless. With one click of Swords Dance, and pretty soon you'll be facing with a scary pokemon. But, what is the purpose of using regular chomp over Mega Chomp? Pretty simple. At stated, use Swords Dance and proceed on to start sweeping. Dragon Claw is one of Garchomp's STAB move, 2HKOing most steel types at Plus 2. Fire Fang is one of the covering moves and as an alternative move, just in case if Dragon Claw doesn't work out in favor. Not to mention, it also deals with one of Cresselia's check such as Scizor and such. Earthquake is also use to take out Fire types such as opposing Heatran if lacking Air Balloon, Magnezone, Excadrill, and Aegislash. As for the EV Spread and nature, most SD Chomp Variants would have an Adamant Nature. Here, I'm running a Jolly nature with an EV spread of max speed at 252 to out-speed threats and get off an easy boost. Still throughout this day, Garchomp is still a mid-late sweeper, even if it's not Mega.

==================================================

IMPORTABLE:

Code:
Gyarados (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 88 HP / 248 Atk / 4 Def / 168 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Bounce

Heatran (M) @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Venusaur (M) @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Synthesis
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder

Cresselia (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef
Bold Nature
- Moonlight
- Toxic
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Togekiss (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 Spd
Bold Nature
- Heal Bell
- Defog
- Thunder Wave
- Air Slash

Garchomp (M) @ Yache Berry
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Fang
- Earthquake

CONCLUSION:

And we have come to the conclusion of this fifth RMT here. In a nutshell, this kinda looks like a 5th or a 4th Gen between. I promise you, I'll like use other pokes that are sixth gen related. Now, yes. It has been a very long time since I've posted an RMT. It's just that my battling has been rusting a bit on Showdown, due to me barring my way through this new generation and such. Not to mention, life has been getting into me as well too. Hopefully, I'll try to see if I can squeeze time in to make more RMTs and maybe if I can like get myself together here. Okay, now clearly there are advantages that I've liked listed on this RMT, but there are quite some disadvantages, too. One is that Gyarados and Togekiss are like weak to Stealth Rock obviously, but the thing is that I do not want to be spin-blocked by Aegislash or Gengar so I thought of using a Defogger would work in favor for me. Second thing is that Garchomp is walled really easily by Blissey and Chansey, seeing how they can eat up it's STAB earthquakes and Dragon Claws if not gaining a plus 2 Swords Dance, not to mention that I don't have a fighting type attacker to deal with. Lastly, Mamoswine has a few match-ups with Mega Venusar, Togekiss, and Garchomp, while Kyurem-B having two matchups to Gyarados and Togekiss bar-none. Despite those disadvantages that the team has here, it stills breaks through with no problem at all.

So, I hope you enjoy my comeback from Smogon. If you agree'd on anything I said here, leave a like if you may. Or if you think that some things need to be addressed or discussed, leave a rate down below if you may as well, too.
With that being said, this is Touya saying: I have returned from the dead...

FINAL GLANCE:
|
|
|
|
|

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)