School Life Discussion Thread

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Was quite a helpful thread before. This is the place to go to discuss campus life, grades, applications, internships and anything else related to high school, college, and university. We have people who are currently in or graduated from institutions across the world in a variety of fields to help you figure out school things so if you're in your final year of high school this thread could be especially important!

So since apparently nobody on Smogon has gone to school in the last ~3 months since this thread was posted and I'm too lazy to make a new thread for myself, BOOM.

Deal is, my grades are ok, but I'm getting like incredibly lazy, I think its because I'm done with school in about four and a half weeks and I figure I can probably coast through even though I know damn well I can't. Whatever. Anyway, I really, really, really, really, ad infinitum, apply to med school, but I also know full well that my grades are not 3.5+ and most likely won't be by the time I need to apply because at that point I would have either burned myself out and decided just to keep my other major or gone crazy and shot up half the campus from studying so much.

To apply to medschool I have to take what is basically a second major in science classes and shit like that, but I really want to keep my original major (economics) as a fall back in the event I don't get accepted. I know I have the brain capacity to do all the work, since I really like science and all that shit, but I'm not sure if I have the patience or attention span to pull essentially a double-major since I can't even do a term paper until the night before. I was just wondering really if anyone else was in this type of a situation before and had any friendly / useful advice they could lend me.

I just got conditionally accepted to Simon Fraiser University (one of the three big schools on the west coast) and my grades are 4.0+ but what I really want to know is: should I even go? I'm super bummed on highschool, I hate the entire system and even though I love learning, I hate school, so is Uni really where I want to be? I'm just really confused right now and so so tired of highschool.

Also is Uni significantly harder than highschool? I almost never study or do work (horrible habit) but I think if I'm doing what I love and studying things I'm interested in I'll actually do the work. That's why I'm scared of first year, so many mandatory courses.

Yes, University is 1000000x better than Highschool. Go.

It is harder. But go anyway. If you don't know what you want to be in the future, Uni will help you discover yourself.

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Deal is, my grades are ok, but I'm getting like incredibly lazy, I think its because I'm done with school in about four and a half weeks and I figure I can probably coast through even though I know damn well I can't. Whatever. Anyway, I really, really, really, really, ad infinitum, apply to med school, but I also know full well that my grades are not 3.5+ and most likely won't be by the time I need to apply because at that point I would have either burned myself out and decided just to keep my other major or gone crazy and shot up half the campus from studying so much.

To apply to medschool I have to take what is basically a second major in science classes and shit like that, but I really want to keep my original major (economics) as a fall back in the event I don't get accepted. I know I have the brain capacity to do all the work, since I really like science and all that shit, but I'm not sure if I have the patience or attention span to pull essentially a double-major since I can't even do a term paper until the night before. I was just wondering really if anyone else was in this type of a situation before and had any friendly / useful advice they could lend me.
I'm studying med. I'm from Australia, and the method for getting into med is slightly different here, but most of the people who transfer to med from other uni courses transfer from science-based courses.

If you have the intelligence to get into med, you can get in. But you will have to put up with the patience and attention span to do it; if you're not capable of doing it for the double-major course, you won't be able to do it for med. I can promise you that med will be harder than a double-major science course; you will need a very good attention span for it and patience too.

However, at least where I study med, there are very few assignments and tests. The main assessments are the end-of-semester exams, and the on-going assessments of your performance in tutor groups, the main one being called PBL, Problem-Based Learning. (It's actually called CBL at my uni, but most unis call it PBL). I had 4 assignments last year (first year), and this year I only have 1 (second year). That 1 assignment is easy. It's more about on-going learning and studying than cramming for tests and learning by doing assignments.

The style of learning is also very different to how it was at school and most other university courses; I learnt last year that how I studied for school, mainly cramming for tests and exams, was horrible for university. Active-learning is promoted when possible in university e.g. studying with friends, applying your knowledge to cases (e.g. why does this person have shortness of breath?), however, you will still have to read LOTS. When you studying, you need to know what you're learning, understand it, and be able to apply it; you can't just make notes for it and read off them, or just remember answers to specific questions. The information you learn is also integrated: you don't learn the body anatomy, then the body physiology, then apply it to how you interact with the patient (this last one is called clinical skills); you learn them all together. For example, the first thing I had to learn was the anatomy, physiology, clinical skills, histology, some pathophysiology etc of the heart. For example, you can't just know that the heart has coronary arteries; you need to know what part of the heart they supply, what can happen if they have significant atherosclerosis, and how you would examine patients for the symptoms and signs of significant atherosclerosis in the coronary arteries.

In saying this, most people who do med enjoy it, and there aren't that many drop-outs. Most of the people who drop-out do so because it's too much work, and there's still many less drop-outs than other hard but not-as-hard courses like engineering. This is primarily because that a great proportion of people who study med enjoy it than with engineering.

In short, if you want to do med, you will probably enjoy it, but you will have to work your ass off. Don't worry, you'll still have a life! Med has an extremely large social life, much bigger than high school.

Does anyone here go to either Cornell or Carnegie Mellon? I'm debating between going to either of the two schools and would really like some feedback of how it is in these two places.

Cooky

Banned deucer.
So as all English 18 year olds are gonna know, its A level time in a month or two, so before the crunch I was just wondering if there was anyone else going to uni in October 2011 and where you were headed. Im going to Exeter to do Economics for a AAA offer, which is generally a pretty safe bet I think, despite hordes of public school people..

Also fuck the rise in fees thats bullshit.

Long story short, I love maths, and hate everything else (except Physics, because it is basically pseudo maths)
Is there any career out there that heavily involves maths, except teaching (Im not going to become a proffesor, even though I would like to)

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I just got conditionally accepted to Simon Fraiser University (one of the three big schools on the west coast) and my grades are 4.0+ but what I really want to know is: should I even go? I'm super bummed on highschool, I hate the entire system and even though I love learning, I hate school, so is Uni really where I want to be? I'm just really confused right now and so so tired of highschool.

Also is Uni significantly harder than highschool? I almost never study or do work (horrible habit) but I think if I'm doing what I love and studying things I'm interested in I'll actually do the work. That's why I'm scared of first year, so many mandatory courses.
What program did you get accepted to? That's what all this depends on.

Does anyone here go to either Cornell or Carnegie Mellon? I'm debating between going to either of the two schools and would really like some feedback of how it is in these two places.
I had a lot of friends that toured/applied to Carnegie Mellon and they all thought it was really nice. As for Cornell it's very big, very nice, and the surrounding area is absolutely beautiful. It also has one of the highest suicide rates among American universities! I loved the campus, I applied there this year and ended up getting wait listed. I have a few friends who go there and say they love it, although it's very expensive.

So as all English 18 year olds are gonna know, its A level time in a month or two, so before the crunch I was just wondering if there was anyone else going to uni in October 2011 and where you were headed. Im going to Exeter to do Economics for a AAA offer, which is generally a pretty safe bet I think, despite hordes of public school people..

Also fuck the rise in fees thats bullshit.
What subjects you taking in the coming months?

I have a really messed up schedule. I've done 4 GCSEs, maths, eng, eng. lit, music got 4A*s, I've done A level Maths, got an A*. I'm sitting another 8 GCSEs and about 5 A level modules this summer, which includes having to stay overnight because FP2 overlaps with my second geography paper. I also have no idea what to prioritise. And I almost failed a Spanish past paper yesterday... ugh.

And out of experience, what's the best way to deal with something that looks to be an almost inevitable fight (I don't want to get suspended for fighting soon but I'm not one for taking shit from idiots)?

Currently doing accelerated Year 11 in Australia with two Year 12 subjects. My subjects are Psyche, Maths Methods and Chemistry for Year 11 and English (General) and Biology for Year 12. I've been getting REALLY good grades for English, Biology and Chemistry, but Maths Methods worries me in regards to next year. It just goes so fast I'm constantly doing homework (at least 2 hours every night over my total 5 subjects) to keep up. Any strategies on how to do well in MM? I feel that 70-80% on average isn't enough when my friends get around 90%. The good part of school is that in 3 of my classes I have friends to constantly jabber to. And is it normal for the majority of my in-class friends to be girls? I'm a bit worried (though all my PokeFriends are boys). Our Music program is also very sucky and I've joined a rebellion against the epic dictatorship.

Long story short, I love maths, and hate everything else (except Physics, because it is basically pseudo maths)
Is there any career out there that heavily involves maths, except teaching (Im not going to become a proffesor, even though I would like to)
I don't think I'm really qualified to give advice, but I guess I might as well mention it. I'm pretty sure anyone who loves math/does well in math goes into engineering or something similar. Not to mention that seems a job that's doing quite well. Don't quote me on that though.

Also, LL that depends...are you a boy or a girl? Either way, it shouldn't really matter.

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
So since apparently nobody on Smogon has gone to school in the last ~3 months since this thread was posted and I'm too lazy to make a new thread for myself, BOOM.

My advice is to go to the university in which you dont pay out of state tuition, if you live in cali youre in luck, you can be as lazy as you want and go to a UC, not UCLA or Berkeley, but any of the others. As long as its not merced or riverside, all the non-UCLA and non-Berkeley UCs look the same to graduate/med school, which youll have to go to with an economics degree (you need a masters just to do work for your local coffee collective lol). If you dont live in Cali, then just go to the big state university wherever you live and youll be fine. You'll hopefully feel more motivated once youre in college, get a decent gpa (3.5 would be nice, but honestly, 3.3 is probably good enough depending on the graduate/med school). I highly recommned state schools, because it generally takes quite a while (more than 4 years) to get out, so you might as well get a double major while youre there.

finance, trading, risk management, actuary, etc

My advice is to go to the university in which you dont pay out of state tuition, if you live in cali youre in luck, you can be as lazy as you want and go to a UC, not UCLA or Berkeley, but any of the others. As long as its not merced or riverside, all the non-UCLA and non-Berkeley UCs look the same to graduate/med school, which youll have to go to with an economics degree (you need a masters just to do work for your local coffee collective lol). If you dont live in Cali, then just go to the big state university wherever you live and youll be fine. You'll hopefully feel more motivated once youre in college, get a decent gpa (3.5 would be nice, but honestly, 3.3 is probably good enough depending on the graduate/med school). I highly recommned state schools, because it generally takes quite a while (more than 4 years) to get out, so you might as well get a double major while youre there.
I'm already in college and I have like a 2.3 GPA. I go to the second biggest school in the whole country as a matter of fact and I do pay in-state tuition. I have actually become arguably less motivated.

Also, thanks Darkmalice.

Sy123: engineering?????

Yeah, USYD offers Acturial Studies iirc. Its basically like mathematics & probability, and you can get employed by insurance companies etc to calculate risks. I can't be too bothered to explain it all here, but do some googling and you'll see what I'm talking about.

supermarth64

Here I stand in the light of day
is a Contributor Alumnus
College decisions came out for a lot of seniors in America a few days ago...

Accepted: Rutgers, University of Illinois.
Waitlisted: NYU Stern, Carnegie Mellon.
Rejected: Johns Hopkins, Tufts, Cornell, Columbia, UPenn.

I heard that it was really hard this year to get into colleges, mainly due to the sheer number of people applying this year. Not that it really matters to me though because UIUC has a great engineering program and I'm probably going there so w/e.

As for CMU/Cornell to that guy who asked, I heard that Cornell's really cold and dreary a lot and CMU's a sausagefest so take your pick!

I'm already in college and I have like a 2.3 GPA. I go to the second biggest school in the whole country as a matter of fact and I do pay in-state tuition. I have actually become arguably less motivated.

Also, thanks Darkmalice.

Sy123: engineering?????
Hey! I'm a pre-med going to Johns Hopkins, and I'm going to be applying to med schools next year. I'm a junior right now, so I'll be taking a year off after college to do research and volunteer work.

As for GPA, not to scare you or anything, it matters... here are some statistics from the AAMC website itself that you might want to look at. The average GPA of students accepted into medical schools in 2010 was 3.67, SD=0.26 (science GPA=3.61, SD=0.32; non-science GPA=3.75, SD=0.24). So what that means is that 95% of students that got accepted into medical school had at least a 3.15 GPA, so you might want to work a bit harder. To be safe, you should probably have at least a 3.3.

However, GPA and MCAT scores aren't the only things that matter. Research and volunteer work are also taken highly into consideration, so you might want to look into summer programs right now. Here is a pretty good list from the JHU preprofessional website of places you might start to look at, listed by state. In fact, I'd recommend looking at all the other sections of the website, too, since it has been very helpful in helping me plan my four years out.

Hope this helps :toast:

I'm going to be applying to colleges soon, but I'm not really sure where I stand. I guess what I'd like to know is how schools prioritize different factors in admission. I'm quite involved in extracurricular stuff and got 2390 on the March SAT but I'm kind of lacking in class rank. My grades are relatively high, but I'm not in the top 10 percent (although my school stopped reporting rank recently).

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Schools care way more about extracurriculars. I highly doubt it matters that you're not in the top 10% Faldran, as long as your grades are decent. I'm not sure how the SAT works, but I think your score is pretty good.

Just from what you gave, as long as your application essays are good, you should get into the school you want to.

I'm majoring in Music Education at UL Lafayette.

I don't think music programs really reject people for academics as long as they can play.
I had a mediocre GPA in high school (3.0 unweighted) because I fucking hated it and did the bare minimum to get scholarships and shit. I only auditioned at UL and USM and got accepted into both schools of music, though I didn't end up applying to USM because I needed to stay in-state to get TOPS. I would have auditioned at LSU had I not realized how early the deadline was.

I'm in Music Ed because I actually want to be able to get a job with my music degree when I graduate in case I can't get a decent assistantship right away at any of the grad schools I audition for. I don't know if I want to go for Conducting or Performance or both yet, but I still have at least three years to decide.
It's not like you can't get jobs composing or performing with a Music Ed degree as long as you're good at it and know some people.

I'm really loving it here. There's enough competition to motivate me to practice all the time, but not so much competition that I can't get into any ensembles or get any gigs.
The tuba/low brass professor here is amazing, the head of the Theory department is brilliant, and the wind ensemble director here is a fantastic musician.
My biggest problem is that with the current Music Ed curriculum, it's basically impossible to graduate in eight semesters unless you only do one ensemble a semester and never actually practice your instrument. Also, it's really fucking hard to schedule music classes, education classes, and honors classes at the same time, so my schedule/number of hours is pretty retarded.

@ Faladran: A 2390 will get you into any decent school regardless of your GPA (unless it's extremely low... like 70s), and your extracurriculars are what you'll need to make yourself stand out to the very top schools.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)