Format Discussion Scarlet/Violet Random Battle Sets

I find Booster Energy and Bulk Up to be anti-synergistic. There could be a tug-of-war going on where you switch that Bulk Up Pokemon in a few times during the match. It's just a hunch, but I feel like those sets would probably fare far better with Leftovers or with extra coverage. Leftovers looks better on Great Tusk, while extra coverage (or First Impression) would make Booster Energy Slither Wing feel far better to use.

I find Booster Energy and Bulk Up to be anti-synergistic. There could be a tug-of-war going on where you switch that Bulk Up Pokemon in a few times during the match. It's just a hunch, but I feel like those sets would probably fare far better with Leftovers or with extra coverage. Leftovers looks better on Great Tusk, while extra coverage (or First Impression) would make Booster Energy Slither Wing feel far better to use.
I think Booster Energy Bulk Up Tusk is fine when it has Rapid Spin to essentially double dance, but without it it’s too hard to make sure the first time it comes in is impactful. First Impression + Booster Energy looks counterproductive at first glance, but I could see the appeal. It’s a powerful priority option that doesn’t come with recoil or force a switch next turn, and it would mean Booster Energy doesn’t immediately announce “I don’t have priority” on switch-in.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
I think Booster Energy Bulk Up Tusk is fine when it has Rapid Spin to essentially double dance, but without it it’s too hard to make sure the first time it comes in is impactful. First Impression + Booster Energy looks counterproductive at first glance, but I could see the appeal. It’s a powerful priority option that doesn’t come with recoil or force a switch next turn, and it would mean Booster Energy doesn’t immediately announce “I don’t have priority” on switch-in.
To update both of you, we have planned off the back of this to move booster energy to the fast bulky support role as it better fits some of the mons who we definitely want Booster on. We will likely remove Booster from CM Raging Bolt and are currently voting on whether to keep it on BU Grusk or not (it’s pretty split! Personally I voted to remove it). I’m 99% sure Booster FImpress doesn’t exist, Slither has Booster so it can use Flame Charge without taking LO recoil and we split FImpress away from Flame Charge.

Edit:
Confirmed it

Last edited:

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Random Battle Lead
To update both of you, we have planned off the back of this to move booster energy to the fast bulky support role as it better fits some of the mons who we definitely want Booster on. We will likely remove Booster from CM Raging Bolt and are currently voting on whether to keep it on BU Grusk or not (it’s pretty split! Personally I voted to remove it). I’m 99% sure Booster FImpress doesn’t exist, Slither has Booster so it can use Flame Charge without taking LO recoil and we split FImpress away from Flame Charge.

Edit:
Confirmed it
(Cm raging bolt already doesn't have booster, we'd just actually be able to give it a setup role for flavor)

Edit:
Confirmed it
The suggestion was to add First Impression to Booster Energy Slither Wing to replace Bulk Up.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
The suggestion was to add First Impression to Booster Energy Slither Wing to replace Bulk Up.
oh sorry, I misunderstood. We discussed this and think that First Impression Booster Energy sounds pretty bad, and is at least definitely worse than Bulk Up. We would either just change Slither to Leftovers or leave it unchanged, it already has FImpress on another set anyway.

is it possible to make it so toxic and mortal spin can't generate on the same set? i feel like 2 slots on moves that inflict 100% poison isn't ideal even if mortal spin does remove hazards, i'm not saying to remove either move but if you can make it so they can't generate together

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Random Battle Lead
is it possible to make it so toxic and mortal spin can't generate on the same set? i feel like 2 slots on moves that inflict 100% poison isn't ideal even if mortal spin does remove hazards, i'm not saying to remove either move but if you can make it so they can't generate together
we would rather not do this, but we might remove toxic altogether later

ghost

formerly goldenghost
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
LC Leader
What are the WRs like on the Quiver Dancers currently? They feel incredibly overtuned and oppressive and can usually win the game on the turn they defensively tera, and Bellossom in particular feels pretty much unbeatable due to Strength Sap. I can't imagine they're much fun for anybody else to play against in their current state.

Last edited:
What are the WRs like on the Quiver Dancers currently? They feel incredibly overtuned and oppressive and can usually win the game on the turn they defensively tera, and Bellossom in particular feels pretty much unbeatable due to Strength Sap. I can't imagine they're much fun for anybody else to play against in their current state.
You can check winrates by typing /rwr.

Perhaps it would be possible to add suckerpunch on some hydrapple sets? It gives priority to hydrapple, which is a slow mon. It is also nice because in randbats, evs are all 84?, so it will do more damage. (I don't have access to calcs right now, i'll get them later)

is scald and hydro pump on specs inteleon really necessary? for such a frail mon getting locked into scald just for that 30% burn chance seems too risky to justify. what about flash cannon, psychic, or shadow ball for more coverage? or even air slash to cover grass weakness.

is scald and hydro pump on specs inteleon really necessary? for such a frail mon getting locked into scald just for that 30% burn chance seems too risky to justify. what about flash cannon, psychic, or shadow ball for more coverage? or even air slash to cover grass weakness.
none of its other coverage options are strong enough nor hit important targets to justify running on its set. scald's main purpose is having an accurate stab option to confirm KOs on weakened foes, burning your opponent is just an added benefit

Lvl 81 84 SpA Choice Specs Inteleon Hydro Pump vs. Lvl 83 84 HP / 84 SpD Milotic: 70-83 (23.8 - 28.3%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
Lvl 81 84 SpA Choice Specs Inteleon Shadow Ball vs. Lvl 83 84 HP / 84 SpD Milotic: 68-81 (23.2 - 27.6%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery

^coverage options are weaker than a resisted pump

Feraligatr shouldn't have sheer force and trailblaze at the same time. there has to be a coverage move that's better than trailblaze, it's so weak

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
Random Battle Lead
Feraligatr shouldn't have sheer force and trailblaze at the same time. there has to be a coverage move that's better than trailblaze, it's so weak
there isn't

water + ice + grass is perfect coverage

trailblaze is grass fang and is literally the best move it has for waters

trailblaze will not be removed from feraligatr.

we also will not give it torrent because it can just use dragon dance for speed.

If you use Trailblaze on Feraligatr against a water type, and not expect a speed boost from it, you will be happy with the result.

Last edited:
There's a Gholdengo set with Make It Rain, Shadow Ball, Recover, and Thunder Wave all guaranteed. Hex should probably be swapped out with Shadow Ball. Not sure what the set name is called my bad

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
Random Battle Lead
There's a Gholdengo set with Make It Rain, Shadow Ball, Recover, and Thunder Wave all guaranteed. Hex should probably be swapped out with Shadow Ball. Not sure what the set name is called my bad
Hex is usually very hot or miss with rands EVs, given it takes a lot of turns for it to be higher value than shadow ball. Additionally, Hex would be pretty worthless against the Electric-types that gholdengo would like to use its ghost move against; I certainly wouldn't enjoy a Gholdengo that's walled by electric. Overall, Shadow Ball is just more consistent, so we run that on most mons!

I wish the default item for glass cannons was Heavy Duty Boots and not life orb. Life orb often feels like a downgrade due to how easy it is to stall. This will also nerf hazards.

Irpachuza

You didn't get this far by giving up, did you?
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
Random Battle Lead
Can you explain how is it easy to stall in Randbats? And LO makes the user a better wallbrekaer anyways since you'd want that extra damage.

EDIT: Deleted Pikachu reference as you did so.

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
Random Battle Lead
Hey, everyone who's posted here, this announcement is for you:

We'll be using the Random Battles PS! room to host a Set Development Workshop event tomorrow, March 31, at 3:00 PM GMT. We'll be discussing primarily Brute Bonnet, as well as touching on several of the planned changes for the end-of-month update in Gen 9 Random Battle. Be there if you'd like your voice heard, or want to see how we decide our sets!

We'll primarily be taking in opinions from people who are not already members of the set development team in this event. This is your chance to contribute!

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
Random Battle Lead
The workshop went well! Here are the conclusions.
-Brute Bonnet's current set will not be changed
-A set 2 will be added of Synthesis, Seed Bomb/Bullet Seed, Crunch, and Spore/Stun Spore. Leftovers/Loaded Dice, depending on grass move. Grass move will be rolled
-Trick Room Necrozma-DW will be removed.

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
call me bad but this is fucking egregious. my Dipplin (DPulse/Giga/Sucker/Recover) just got PP stalled by a Gogoat which is a mon that it should probably be able to answer. Well it could if it could always run Dragon Tail but instead there's a chance to get useless ass Sucker Punch instead. Hope this is assessed because Sucker Dipplin is a waste of a wall and isn't using the mon to its fullest potential, at least have the option for Infestation or something if you're too hard-assed about having 1 usable set.

Irpachuza

You didn't get this far by giving up, did you?
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
Random Battle Lead
call me bad but this is fucking egregious. my Dipplin (DPulse/Giga/Sucker/Recover) just got PP stalled by a Gogoat which is a mon that it should probably be able to answer. Well it could if it could always run Dragon Tail but instead there's a chance to get useless ass Sucker Punch instead. Hope this is assessed because Sucker Dipplin is a waste of a wall and isn't using the mon to its fullest potential, at least have the option for Infestation or something if you're too hard-assed about having 1 usable set.
Hi, disregarding of the reason of your distaste for the set you got, please keep things civil when suggesting changes. I'm sure getting walled is annoying, but that isn't reason to call devs "hard-assed", and surely making a calm proposal will help people to understand your point of view better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)