Format Discussion Scarlet/Violet Random Battle Sets

Lady Writer

on the tv
is a Tiering Contributor
I feel like Garganacl's Bulky setup build should have Ghost Tera+ Iron defense instead of fighting tera +curse as it it would have less weaknesses and a shorter setup time for body press sweeping.
this is pretty situational and being able to get stab on body press and not be weak to some of the types rock is weak to is better in more situations

this is pretty situational and being able to get stab on body press and not be weak to some of the types rock is weak to is better in more situations
After just 1 turn of set up for both, The original set only does 1/8 more damage compared to the new one. Plus fighting type does not resist any types rock is weak to, whereas ghost is immune to fighting. With Ghost type you are only weak to dark because of purifying salt's effect of halving ghost type damage, whereas you are weak to 3 different types with fighting. You are trading off 1/8 of your damage for having 2 less weaknesses. Garganacl is already an insanely bulky pokemon, and with only 1 weakness, it becomes very hard to kill.

doc1203

Banned deucer.
consider running sash as an alternative on spidops alongside heavy duty boots. it would help it to function as a suicide webs or hazards lead

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Random Battle Lead
I feel like Garganacl's Bulky setup build should have Ghost Tera+ Iron defense instead of fighting tera +curse as it it would have less weaknesses and a shorter setup time for body press sweeping.
Tera Ghost will be considered. Iron Defense will not. This isn't OU, Garganacl isn't running Salt Cure on its setup and therefore also wants Attack for its Stone Edge.

Please consider Tera Fighting/Focus Blast for Delphox. Defensively, it covers two weaknesses from Delphox (Rock and Dark) and Focus Blast allows it to hit Pokémon like Houndoom and Hydreigon that would resist all its current moves including Grass Knot while also providing more total coverage. Alternatively, Tera Grass also covers two major weaknesses (Ground and Water) while providing high coverage but it would rather have Tera Blast than Grass Knot to hit more strongly Pokémon like Alomomola and Rotom-Wash.

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Random Battle Lead
very unsure what whoever's heading rand battles is cooking. I very unfortunately do not have a replay cause it expired but for what its worth it wasnt tricked and the only mon it was in on was a chesnaught.
Didn't catch this bug because it requires hazard removal to occur. Thanks! I'll fix it.

bodi

I COULD BE BANNED!
is a Tiering Contributor
spiritomb should have shadow ball instead of sleep talk or whatever you can replace leftovers with chesto berry to benefit from rest because dark puls alone aren't good I know that spiritomb should be bulky but at least give him some good attacking moves.
and thank you for reading this comment

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
Random Battle Lead
spiritomb should have shadow ball instead of sleep talk or whatever you can replace leftovers with chesto berry to benefit from rest because dark puls alone aren't good I know that spiritomb should be bulky but at least give him some good attacking moves.
and thank you for reading this comment
No. It's other set has plenty of attacks. RestTalk Dark Pulse is much more effective at being a bulky setup user than dual stabs; the offensive coverage provided by Dark/Ghost is largely redundant. I understand that you lost because you faced a Fairy type and blamed the set, but making the set worse against everything else isn't worth hitting fairies neutrally.

so, first post in this topic, i would say that the set
Kingambit -life orb
Iron Head/Kowtow Cleave/Stealth Rock/Sucker Punch is pretty wtf, when do u know that the (only viable ability?) Supreme Overlord set exists too. I think it could be not that bad, but Kingambit defiant should be not the top rank mon of ur team so, it's quite trolling, it creates a (too much?) BIG difference between the same mon sets

Got my first Typhlosion, and what seems to be its only set - Eruption, Overheat, Flamethrower and Focus Blast. With Tera Fire.

Ability was Blaze, but I guess it can also get Flash Fire? Scarf but also guess it can get Specs.

Anyways, I feel like 3 fire type moves AND tera fire, when it struggles from poor coverage moves, is a bit much. I understand the logic (Eruption when full health), but it makes Typhlosion extremely easy to counter and without any sort of versatility.

Would much prefer Eruption, Fire Blast OR Overheat, and something like Terablast (Grass and Electric would make sense), Shadow Ball, Extrasensory, etc.

Just some ways to hit Pelipper, Slowbro, Gyarados, Pex, Delphox, etc. for super effective damage, especially when not at full health.

pokeblade101

is a Community Contributor
RBTT Champion
so, first post in this topic, i would say that the set
Kingambit -life orb
Iron Head/Kowtow Cleave/Stealth Rock/Sucker Punch is pretty wtf, when do u know that the (only viable ability?) Supreme Overlord set exists too. I think it could be not that bad, but Kingambit defiant should be not the top rank mon of ur team so, it's quite trolling, it creates a (too much?) BIG difference between the same mon sets
I'm not sure what exactly you are saying here. What do you mean by top rank mon? Can you rephrase with more clarity.

I feel like Maushold should be given Low Kick, as it allows it to nail things like Kingambit and Garganacl that would otherwise stonewall it. Maushold rn is pretty heavily walled by most steels even after a Tidy Up, so adding a way to chunk those steels might be nice.

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
Random Battle Lead
I feel like Maushold should be given Low Kick, as it allows it to nail things like Kingambit and Garganacl that would otherwise stonewall it. Maushold rn is pretty heavily walled by most steels even after a Tidy Up, so adding a way to chunk those steels might be nice.
Worth noting that 120-low kick is only 15 bp stronger than population bomb against any normal resist not named Kingambit or Tyranitar, and it's actually 60 bp weaker than pop bomb against every normal resist other than Kingambit and Tyranitar after a Normal Tera. We aren't adding a move solely for Kingambit and Tyranitar; Encore is better on it.

Math:
Population Bomb:
(200BPx1.5 for technician x0.5 for not very effective) = 150
x1.5 (non-tera STAB) = 225 effective power
Or x2 (tera normal) = 300 effective power

Low Kick:
120BP x2 = 240 effective power
Against Tyranitar: = 480 effective power
e: Kingambit's 100 bp, so 400 effective power.

Last edited:
Is it possible to have some type of logic for a team to better synchronize with itself. I've had quite a few games with 4+ Pokémon holding a choice item, which makes it really hard to effectively play the game. Maybe add a limit to the number of Pokémon on a team holding a choice item/life orb, or make them more likely to appear on teams with U-Turn or Volt Switch users?

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
Random Battle Lead
Is it possible to have some type of logic for a team to better synchronize with itself. I've had quite a few games with 4+ Pokémon holding a choice item, which makes it really hard to effectively play the game. Maybe add a limit to the number of Pokémon on a team holding a choice item/life orb, or make them more likely to appear on teams with U-Turn or Volt Switch users?
This is not possible given the order of operations for set generation.

I know it's been a thing also in past gens, but isn't Lead Zoroark just cruel? You usually see that you have a Zoroark in front of you thanks to hazards, sand damage etc... If it's a lead you could see that's a Zoroark in some cases, but the mojority of the times you can't expect that.
Can't it be removed from being a lead?

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
Random Battle Lead
I know it's been a thing also in past gens, but isn't Lead Zoroark just cruel? You usually see that you have a Zoroark in front of you thanks to hazards, sand damage etc... If it's a lead you could see that's a Zoroark in some cases, but the mojority of the times you can't expect that.
Can't it be removed from being a lead?
no

i feel like infernal parade should be an option for hisuian typhlosion on the calm mind set over shadow ball, if you have will o you can already get the 2x and if it rolls sub you can still have a 30% burn chance

• Haha
Reactions: nya

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
Random Battle Lead
i feel like infernal parade should be an option for hisuian typhlosion on the calm mind set over shadow ball, if you have will o you can already get the 2x and if it rolls sub you can still have a 30% burn chance
I don't think relying on a 30% burn chance to have a reliable Ghost move is worth it.

Hopefully this is the right place for a suggestion like this. But PLEASE add an indicator telling users what tera type their Pokémon is BEFORE actually having to send it in. This is information that would be known in the main series games and I believe it to be vital when determining what someone's best play is

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
Hopefully this is the right place for a suggestion like this. But PLEASE add an indicator telling users what tera type their Pokémon is BEFORE actually having to send it in. This is information that would be known in the main series games and I believe it to be vital when determining what someone's best play is
We can't do this, we just maintain the formats. It requires an overhaul of showdown's UI and our understanding is that that is being developed.

For now you can see your team's teratypes by typing /showteam in the battle chat.

I just wanted to make a few observations:

Schermata da 2022-12-20 15-55-25.png

Isn't it odd to have a Pokémon and its Paradox form (in this case, Hydreigon and Iron Jugulis) on the same team? These two in particular, as they've got similar types, moves and stats...

Schermata da 2022-12-20 16-43-19.png

I think Kingambit should rather get Defiant as his ability when put together with Houndstone; given how powerful Supreme Overlord and Last Respect can be respectively in the battle's last phases, I fear that the advantage given by their combination would be too high.

Schermata da 2022-12-20 16-52-44.pngSchermata da 2022-12-20 16-52-46.pngSchermata da 2022-12-20 16-52-51.png
Finally, I think having three Heavy-Duty Boots users on the same team might give the player an unfair advantage, as well, but this is the smallest inconvenience I've noticed, to be honest.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 3, Guests: 2)