SPOILERS! Scarlet & Violet Leaks Thread - Data/Mechanics

Noble Pyre? Entei's more lionized (both physical and in demeanor) than the other beasts.
Prehaps it could be similar to this
Breaks the 12-character limit

That’s kind of the tricky thing about ancient Paradox names; the first word is meant to characterize the second word, but it also needs to be short enough for there to actually be a second word. The future Paradoxes have it much easier by comparison.

Particularly with the Paradox beast trio, I feel like the first word also has less to do with their element and more to do with their behavior. Walking, Raging… those aren’t inherently linked to water and lightning, so Paradox Entei’s needn’t necessarily be something related to fire like Blazing / Scorching / Searing / Burning, although it certainly could still be something like that since fire-themed words are often used to evoke intense emotion that fuels angry or violent behavior. (Well, Scorching is probably ruled out regardless, as that’s bound to use up too many characters.)
True

The names of the jotho beast paradoxes have used generally "fancier" or less used/more specific words for the paradox names so far, like bolt instead of thunder or storm for example (boulder is also a bit too generic and unspecific, cobalion is iron crown for example, crown being one of it's physical traits and (one of) the main "quirk(s)" of the design, which is what most paradox pokemon use as a basis for their name)

Sorry if this feels harsh, see it as constructive criticism! (monkey see, monkey type whole argument on why something incorrect)
Raging Thunder is 14 characters, that's too long, max is 12.
Noble Pyre? Entei's more lionized (both physically and in demeanor) than the other beasts.
The other 2 Beast Paradoxes are _____ing _____, Noble Pyre doesn't match.
In the meantime, anyone taking bets on names?
The Iron Musketeers are typically named after where their extendable blades come from so: Iron Edge, Iron Blade, Iron Ring, etc.
Something that references Terrakion's horns.

As for Past Entei? Walking Wake and Raging Bolt are fairly consistent with each other, and given Entei is a ceratopsian of some kind according to Khu: Blazing Horn.
Alternatively, I would suggest Roaring Fire, to reference Entei's dex entry where it's roars cause volcanos to erupt, but Roaring Moon already has Roaring and the -ing word can't be longer than 7 letters without cutting into the space for the second one.

My somewhat silly guess for Terrakion is: Iron Plow. I’m imagining the futuristic horns creating a wide screen in front of it that it uses to push stuff out of its way, kind of like Hisuian Avalugg’s jaw. The name could also gesture at how Terrakion is based on bulky ungulates like oxen, which have often been used for plowing fields.

It kind of think they’re going to have to make a compromise one way or the other. Either they sacrifice the “____ing ____” scheme, or they make the first word be the elemental word instead of the second, as with your suggestion of “Blazing Horn.” In the names of the other two Paradox Beasts, it’s the second word that captures their respective elemental alignment, so I feel like we’re bound for a pattern-breaker either way unless the localizers pull out something really clever. Raging and, as you said, Roaring would have been good choices to characterize a fire-themed second word, but those were both taken.

I was thinking of something along the lines of “Jagged Flame / Jagged Blaze” (if they emphasize the horns and the back spikes in its design), but that still compromises on the “____ing ____” pattern.

Last edited:
Raging Thunder is 14 characters, that's too long, max is 12.

The Iron Musketeers are typically named after where their extendable blades come from so: Iron Edge, Iron Blade, Iron Ring, etc.
Something that references Terrakion's horns.

As for Past Entei? Walking Wake and Raging Bolt are fairly consistent with each other, and given Entei is a ceratopsian of some kind according to Khu: Blazing Horn.
Alternatively, I would suggest Roaring Fire, to reference Entei's dex entry where it's roars cause volcanos to erupt, but Roaring Moon already has Roaring and the -ing word can't be longer than 7 letters without cutting into the space for the second one.
I personally believe that it will be a Parasaurolophos, the duck billed ones with the hollow headcrests.

View attachment 560010

New Khu hint. Best speculation is that this relates to "Dokutaro's" ability, which is either trap, flinch, or confuse poisoned targets.

Oh dear.
Note that you can trap and/or confuse opposing Pokemon on entry, while you can only flinch Pokemon by directly attacking them or at least using moves on them. For this reason, I doubt it's flinch. I can definitely imagine trapping poisoned targets, though.

Note that you can trap and/or confuse opposing Pokemon on entry, while you can only flinch Pokemon by directly attacking them or at least using moves on them. For this reason, I doubt it's flinch. I can definitely imagine trapping poisoned targets, though.
Yeah, trapping is what I assume is the case. Meaning we're getting a Legendary with an easily activated variation of Shadow Tag.

What fun. Can't wait to see even more people hating Gliscor.

Yeah, trapping is what I assume is the case. Meaning we're getting a Legendary with an easily activated variation of Shadow Tag.

What fun. Can't wait to see even more people hating Gliscor.
The good news - you can easily trap and eliminate Gliscor with (Tera Flying) Dokutaro if this is the case!

You realize Dokutaro is a Poison-mon itself, right. (It's placeholder name literally has the JP word for Poison)

As in - resisted by and weak to Ground.
This is why I quickly edited my post to suggest Tera Flying on Dokutaro.

Given Dokutaro's increasing reputation as a (rival?) wish-granter, it just might outspeed Gliscor and have Ice-type coverage for it anyway.

I personally interpreted Dokutaro as "Dokuro" + "-taro" - i.e. "skull peach" instead of your proposed "poison peach". The plushie looks just enough like a skull.

Does the 12 character limit include the Space in between the two words? Because if so I'm made that an Entei name of "Piercing Pyre" comes up 1 character too long to fit the limit while encapsulating both a horned design and the Fire Motif within the "____ing ____" name scheme.

As for Terrakion, "Iron Crag" or maybe "Iron Plate" (as in Plate Tectonics?) could work. The big issue I run into coming up with names here is Pokemon makes it REALLY tricky to find a word that is particular to Rock without thematically overlapping Ground (since most RPG's those elements are one in the same) whilst not directly using a synonym for Rock/Stone in said name.

Does the 12 character limit include the Space in between the two words? Because if so I'm made that an Entei name of "Piercing Pyre" comes up 1 character too long to fit the limit while encapsulating both a horned design and the Fire Motif within the "____ing ____" name scheme.
I’m pretty sure the space counts. The Paradox Pokémon with the longest names are:

Brute Bonnet
Flutter Mane
Slither Wing
Sandy Shocks
Roaring Moon
Walking Wake
Iron Jugulis
Iron Valiant

… and they all cap out at 12 characters with the space included. Even Koraidon and Miraidon’s lore-only “cryptid names” play by this rule despite not being bound by any technical limitation, with Winged King at 11 characters with the space, and Iron Serpent at 12 with the space. (Which is a detail I appreciated as it allowed me to give them those names as nicknames.)

It honestly just kind of makes me more impressed by the localization work on these names. Having to capture these ideas with only 11 functional spaces to work with seems like quite a challenge.

The space counts yeah, you can see for yourself when you go to name a Pokemon. Spaces are their own "character".

Wonder if Paradox Entei will instead focus on something else. Like Flared Frill, something to that effect. It still references fire but also the frill of a triceratops. And maybe it will be something that "flares" to life or lights up or what have you.

I could see Paradox Entei's name being Searing Fire. It keeps the ___ing part of the first part of the names we're getting with Walking Wake and Raging Bolt and sticks with a 4-letter word for the second part of the name.

Reading back some of these, "Flaring Pyre" would fit the character limit AND adhere to the pattern as well, since Raging Bolt already confirms alliteration wasn't a deliberate pattern to the names.

Reading back some of these, "Flaring Pyre" would fit the character limit AND adhere to the pattern as well, since Raging Bolt already confirms alliteration wasn't a deliberate pattern to the names.
True, though “Flaring Pyre” sounds a bit awkward, at least imo. Another seven-letter word such as “Blazing” or “Burning” also works tho.

I’m pretty sure the space counts. The Paradox Pokémon with the longest names are:

Brute Bonnet
Flutter Mane
Slither Wing
Sandy Shocks
Roaring Moon
Walking Wake
Iron Jugulis
Iron Valiant

… and they all cap out at 12 characters with the space included. Even Koraidon and Miraidon’s lore-only “cryptid names” play by this rule despite not being bound by any technical limitation, with Winged King at 11 characters with the space, and Iron Serpent at 12 with the space. (Which is a detail I appreciated as it allowed me to give them those names as nicknames.)

It honestly just kind of makes me more impressed by the localization work on these names. Having to capture these ideas with only 11 functional spaces to work with seems like quite a challenge.
It's also why before gen 6 increased the move name limit from 12 to 16, we got one-word move names like Dyanamicpunch/Thunderpunch, Smellingsalt, and Poisonpowder, and awkward constructions like Hi Jump Kick.

honestly, Im surprised they just... didn't increase the character size for pokemon names. not like its got any downsides jumping from 12 to like, 16 just like movies innit

I could see Paradox Entei's name being Searing Fire. It keeps the ___ing part of the first part of the names we're getting with Walking Wake and Raging Bolt and sticks with a 4-letter word for the second part of the name.
Walking and Raging aren’t elemental names, why have searing or burning then?
Maybe Pealing Flame? Peal is another word for roaring loud

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)