Research Scarlet & Violet Battle Mechanics Research

Probably an outdated question, but
In gen 7, bond :greninja: had to be locked to being male and non-shiny, while in gen 9 it can be either gender while being locked to non-shiny, is this a mistake in implementation on showdown , or a change?

Probably an outdated question, but
In gen 7, bond :greninja: had to be locked to being male and non-shiny, while in gen 9 it can be either gender while being locked to non-shiny, is this a mistake in implementation on showdown , or a change?
Battle Bond Greninja only exists as a transfer in Gen 9, so it's still exclusively Male, Non-Shiny, Alola-mark only, non-breedable, etc.
The only big change with it is that you can use Mirror Herb to give it egg moves.

Battle Bond Greninja only exists as a transfer in Gen 9, so it's still exclusively Male, Non-Shiny, Alola-mark only, non-breedable, etc.
The only big change with it is that you can use Mirror Herb to give it egg moves.
Could Terapagos be female then?

Oh, then i think the showdown implementation is incorrect[nigh irrelevant from a competitive perspective]
because when i used a female battle bond non shiny gren in gen 9, it was accepted as legal

When terastallizing into a Poison type, does Toxic's accuracy count towards the Pokemon's base typing or its tera type?
Would a non-Poison type Pokemon still have 90% accuracy on Toxic while terastallized? And will Toxic's accuracy revert to 90% when a Poison type teras into another type?

When terastallizing into a Poison type, does Toxic's accuracy count towards the Pokemon's base typing or its tera type?
Would a non-Poison type Pokemon still have 90% accuracy on Toxic while terastallized? And will Toxic's accuracy revert to 90% when a Poison type teras into another type?
Toxic only cares about your current type, so Teraing to Poison will give it the boost, and Teraing out will lose the boost.

Stellar might be an exception to the last bit, I'm not sure.

Hey I'm getting inconsistent results from Magician + Throat Spray + Sound Move stealing items in a single turn.

Test setup, a Delphox @ throat spray uses hyper voice against a closdsire @ choice band and a Darkrai @ choice band. This was to test if speed was a factor, but the clodsire made it through some battles with its item.
I am unsure if throat spray gets factored into magician like gems would (no item stolen) or power herb (steals item).

I believe it should be 100% consistent against slower mons and that showdown is bugged, I am unsure if not stealing an item against faster mons is a bug or expected behavior too.

(edit: if possible check for gen 8 behavior)

Last edited:
It's fascinating to me that this was their solution to this, instead of just making Smeargle despawn if you run like Ditto and the Zorua line do.
Slapping Smeargle on the "despawn if the player runs" list would absolutely have been simpler than completely overhauling the behavior of Transform in wild battles. Also that the change also affects the player's Pokémon too and not just wild ones.

It's fascinating to me that this was their solution to this, instead of just making Smeargle despawn if you run like Ditto and the Zorua line do.
Slapping Smeargle on the "despawn if the player runs" list would absolutely have been simpler than completely overhauling the behavior of Transform in wild battles. Also that the change also affects the player's Pokémon too and not just wild ones.
Probably? As far as the game's concerned that's not a Smeargle, literally. Based on people actually testing it, it doesn't so much turn the Smeargle into the Pokémon as it does despawn the Smeargle and spawn the Pokémon it transformed into. If you have a wild Smeargle transformed into Raging Bolt in the overworld, it's just a Raging Bolt as far as the game's concerned.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding this but haven't you already technically answered why this was(n't) the case before?
It took me 4 minutes to come up with that sentence, grammar is hard :row:

Last edited:

Vinc2612

The V stands for VGC
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
How frustrating that would be for someone not aware.

Imagine you want to play transform Smeargle, so you're looking for a wild Smeargle to Sketch from your Ditto to Sketch with your own Smeargle... And spend days running in circles.

Honestly I can definitely understand their solution, it only adds two conditions "is it a wild battle" and "is the user allowed to transform", which has little room for a regression somewhere else.

The more I think about, I'd argue that coding "despawn when X in the party" is more likely to inject some regression somewhere else in the game.

Tea Guzzler

forever searching for a 10p freddo
is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
crossposting from BH thread; imposter still works in a local battle
imp still works, we're fine
also, unrelated, i did some testing and found out that cut items (eg. red orb, beedrillite) still exist in the game's code, and they have a name and description, but lack an icon. in addition, they don't have any in-battle effects, and they can be knocked off and tricked (even on their native users; red orb groudon can lose its red orb). fling just fails however.

crossposting from BH thread; imposter still works in a local battle

also, unrelated, i did some testing and found out that cut items (eg. red orb, beedrillite) still exist in the game's code, and they have a name and description, but lack an icon. in addition, they don't have any in-battle effects, and they can be knocked off and tricked (even on their native users; red orb groudon can lose its red orb). fling just fails however.
Yeah, that's how it worked in SwSh too, except SwSh still had the icons since they were still using the same set of sprites.

I have a question about Tera Blast. Let’s say I have a Pokémon which has a higher Attack than Special Attack in default conditions. But its Attack is currently at a negative stat stage and thus is lower than its Special Attack. If it is terastallized, uses Tera Blast and crits, will it be physical or special? In other words, does crit terastallized Tera Blast take into account the user’s negative stat stages?

DarkFE

Heal Bells ringing
is a Pokemon Researcher
Hi.
I have a question about Tera Blast. Let’s say I have a Pokémon which has a higher Attack than Special Attack in default conditions. But its Attack is currently at a negative stat stage and thus is lower than its Special Attack. If it is terastallized, uses Tera Blast and crits, will it be physical or special? In other words, does crit terastallized Tera Blast take into account the user’s negative stat stages?
I tested using a Darkrai with an Attack stat of 306 and a Special Attack stat of 275. After lowering Darkrai's Attack stat by two stages with Charm to make it lower than its SpAtk stat, Terastallized Tera Blast was a Special category move even on a Critical Hit. This indicates that it's still considering the negative Attack stat stages when determining damage category despite the crit. You can see the test footage here.

Hope this helps.

Tea Guzzler

forever searching for a 10p freddo
is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
Hi.

Poison Puppeteer does activate when Pecharunt inflicts Poison on a foe by using Baneful Bunker, as shown in this footage. This notably does not match the current Showdown implementation, where Poison Puppeteer fails to trigger in this case. Great idea!

Hope this helps.
similar boat to the other question: does poison puppeteer confuse targets that get poisoned by toxic spikes, if said target was forced in by pecharunt's phazing move? (similar to how levitate users can be poisoned by tspikes if a mold breaker user brings them in through a phazing move)

DarkFE

Heal Bells ringing
is a Pokemon Researcher
similar boat to the other question: does poison puppeteer confuse targets that get poisoned by toxic spikes, if said target was forced in by pecharunt's phazing move? (similar to how levitate users can be poisoned by tspikes if a mold breaker user brings them in through a phazing move)
Hi. Thanks for the follow-up question. I covered it in this post earlier in the thread. In short, TSpikes won't trigger Poison Puppeteer even if Pecharunt sets the TSpikes itself and then phases a target into the battle with Whirlwind. Hope this helps.

Hi. Thanks for the follow-up question. I covered it in this post earlier in the thread. In short, TSpikes won't trigger Poison Puppeteer even if Pecharunt sets the TSpikes itself and then phases a target into the battle with Whirlwind. Hope this helps.
Interesting, cause Poison Puppeteer seems to mostly function like Corrision, in that it will confuse in situations where Corrosion would activate to Poison unpoisonable types, but Corrosion will poison the opponent if force-switched on top of Toxic Spikes. Unless they've changed that behavior?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 1)