SM OU Sand Stall, but is 2019!

Hey, I'm SilkScarfGroudon and this is my second RMT for OU and I am presenting a sand stall team, something that died after the 5th generation, but whatever.

The Team
Hippowdon_(Male).png
download.jpeg-9.jpg
download.jpeg-6.jpg

download.jpeg-10.jpg
download.jpeg-7.jpg
download.jpeg-8.jpg

Movesets, IVs and EVs

Hippowdon_(Male).png

Hippowdon (M) @ Smooth Rock
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 112 Def / 140 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Toxic
- Earthquake

Hippowdon is the one who sets up the sandstorm and also sets up stealth rock and uses toxic to more passive damage while having earthquake to scare things like heatran. It also maintains a offensive pressure on some other steel types like excadrill, who will most likely spin away the rocks. Hippowdon also cripple almost anything that doesn't send it down in one hit using toxic and can recover some damage by using slack off, so it can stay longer in the field.

download.jpeg-9.jpg

Sigilyph (F) @ Flame Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psycho Shift
- Stored Power
- Cosmic Power
- Roost

Sigilyph is that annoying thing we all know with it's psycho shift and stored power shenanigans to scare anything that isn't a base toxapex (who also isn't that safe). Sigilyph is a threat even to chansey, passing the burn and using cosmic power to in the end use a powerful stored power that will eventually take down even the most specially bulky pokemon and the only ones really safe from it are the dark types.

download.jpeg-6.jpg

Aggron-Mega (M) @ Aggronite
Ability: Filter
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Thunder Wave
- Dragon Tail

Aggron-mega even without recovery is extremely annoying to deal with even with only four evs invested in defense it still almost unkillable and can shrug off heatran with earthquake while also sending flying types back to their pokeballs with Dragon tail and spreading status with both toxic and thunder wave. Aggron don't have any recovery methods that it can use alone, but alomomola and chansey help him with it.

download.jpeg-10.jpg

Alomomola (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Scald
- Protect
- Toxic

Alomomola is here to wall every single physical attacker that has the audacity to not boost before facing it. Yes, the sand nullifies the leftovers, but is like Thanos says: "A small price for the salvation". Alomomola also helps aggron with it's recovery issues by using wish, but aggron isn't the only one who receives it's wishes, it can pass its wishes to anyone on this team and grants lots of HP to anyone who receives it.

download.jpeg-7.jpg

Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip

Don't fear, ferrothorn is here! Ferrothorn is a back up to alomomola, another hazard setter, can also spread paralysis and leech seed and take care of the water types that normally stops my team. It lays spikes to help dealing damage when the enemy switches in and can do ever more damage with leech seed while recovering itself, thunder wave is also another method to annoy the opponent by paralyzing they.

download.jpeg-8.jpg

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Protect
- Toxic

Eviolite Chansey, the stall staple, here to annoy the enemy and help it's allies with recovery and curing status while walling the special attacker that normally would stop my team in it's tracks. Everyone knows this big pink ball and what it does best, and it suits perfectly for this team. Being a stall team, I couldn't let chansey off. It's gargantuous wishes will heal every teammate that isn't knocked out and it's heal bells will just extinguish status

Here, some replays of the team:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-984791987
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-984171668

These replays are from my secondary account that I use to test some teams,by yeah this is it and please, Rate My Team​

Last edited by a moderator:

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
Welcome to Smogon! I'm locking your RMT for the time being as the forum rules require that you provide at least 3 lines of descriptions for each Pokemon to explain their roles. Please read the rules carefully and take a look at Team Showcase to see the level of detail we require. PM me with updated descriptions and I'll be happy to unlock this. If you need help with the explanations, you can use the smogon dex for help.

Edit: Unlocked!

Last edited:
Some issues;
why is flame orb on your sigilyph.
I may me temporarily high and edit this later but I see no purpose for that, except maybe blocking T-Wave?
It's a waste of an item and get rid of it ASAP for lefties.
On your ferrothorn you generally want Gyro Ball, otherwise you get walled by say, just about any grass type, most notable being MVenu.
Forgive me, but is Hippowdon neccessarily good in OU?
I'd recommend TTar, it has much better bulk under or out of sand, and while it has no source of recovery, it just provides more to the team. Also the lack of recovery is somewhat mitigated by wish.
It can do everything Hippowdon can and more, except maybe being a phaser.
If you insist on keeping it, I recommend lefties over smooth rock, if you're running defensive, the recovery provided by lefties saves you so much PP from slack off, and there is literally no reason to keep sand on the field longer; you're just chipping away at your mons who provide healing(chansey and alomomola). Presumably, you'll have a hard time dealing with opposing clefable and people who are using your team so sigilyph so you'll want a phaser so I suggest removing SR on Hippo mon and replacing it with Whirlwind. If you want you can put SR on thorn, or you can settle for spikes.
Overall, you just get walled by skar or cele(more of the latter), especially if sigilyph is gone.

I may me temporarily high and edit this later but I see no purpose for that, except maybe blocking T-Wave?
It's for Psycho Shift, which will give the burn to the opponent, and then you'll be immediately re-burnt by the Flame Orb.

It's pretty good, residing in B rank in the OU Viability Ranking. T-tar wouldn't necessarily be bad on this team, but Hippo also provides an Electric immunity and has a generally much better defensive typing.

DYA

not a weeb
is a Community Contributor
Some issues;
On your ferrothorn you generally want Gyro Ball, otherwise you get walled by say, just about any grass type, most notable being MVenu.
I'd recommend TTar, it has much better bulk under or out of sand, and while it has no source of recovery, it just provides more to the team. Also the lack of recovery is somewhat mitigated by wish.
It can do everything Hippowdon can and more, except maybe being a phaser.
If you insist on keeping it, I recommend lefties over smooth rock, if you're running defensive, the recovery provided by lefties saves you so much PP from slack off, and there is literally no reason to keep sand on the field longer; you're just chipping away at your mons who provide healing(chansey and alomomola). Presumably, you'll have a hard time dealing with opposing clefable and people who are using your team so sigilyph so you'll want a phaser so I suggest removing SR on Hippo mon and replacing it with Whirlwind. If you want you can put SR on thorn, or you can settle for spikes.
Overall, you just get walled by skar or cele(more of the latter), especially if sigilyph is gone.
Mega Sableye stills wall ferro with magic bounce and his bulk, even if it has Gyro ball (btw Power Whip does more)

248 HP / 8 Def Sableye-Mega: 40-48 (13.2 - 15.8%) -- possible 7HKO
HP / 8 Def Sableye-Mega: 102-120 (33.6 - 39.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
And stills the risk of being burned so

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)