Sand in his Suit; Digging for Fossils

I would like to share a battle that I found to be good, unlike my first warstory's. Playing around sand teams is a chore, with Landorus, Terrakion, and Excadrill running rampant, and when I defeat them it is even more rewarding with the fact that the pure power they have outclasses me, and would easily crush me if I do not keep care.

Winston's Team

Opponent's Team

Key:
My Comments
My Actions
Opponent's Actions
Turn Signification

Note:
Sandstorm will be shown once and omitted all after.
Leftovers will be shown once for each pokemon and omitted all after.
When a KO occurs, My Conscious Poke's Count - Opponent's Conscious Poke's Count
Yes, I mistreated my Gyarados. :(

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From team preview, this looks like a fairly standard sand team. Mentally matching up my mons, I decide that Armaldo will kill Tyranitar and (if sand is up) Excadrill. Landorus will be a problem if he runs a scarf, and Armaldo will again be the one to do something (knocking off the scarf so I can outspeed and KO). Ferrothorn is such a common pokemon that everyone should be ready for him, and a good half of my party is equipped to take him out. Empoleon will take on Latios, and Chandy gets the Jellifish. Barring unforeseen strategies, he will lead with Tyranitar to set up the sand early, and he probably thinks stone edge would dispatch gyarados (my first position), therefore I'm safe to send out Armaldo to do his job.

Battle between WinstonShnozwick and Durran started!

Tier: Standard OU
Variation: +22, -10
Rule: Rated
Rule: Sleep Clause
Rule: Species Clause
Rule: Wifi Battle

Durran sent out Tyranitar!
WinstonShnozwick sent out Armaldo!
The foe's Tyranitar's Sand Stream whipped up a sandstorm!

(100%) VS
(100%)

He acts accordingly, and I ready my assault. Excadrill and Landorus (scarfed) in sand can potentially devastate my team without mercy, and I have a basic strategy to start with. Tyranitar will always stay in on Armaldo, because they just don't know what he even does, and I will always (almost every case) OHKO with Low Kick. Then, I will wait for a safe switch in to Froslass, and activate hail to clear this desert, and from there on, Excadrill will be simple to combat, and Armaldo can knock off the scarf that Landorus is (most likely) holding. Here we go.

Start of turn 1
Durran called Tyranitar back!
Durran sent out Jellicent!

Armaldo used Low Kick!
It had no effect!

The sandstorm rages!

The foe's Jellicent is buffeted by the sandstorm!
The foe's Jellicent restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

(100%) VS
(100%) -->
(100%)

This was unfortunate, as my opponent couldn't have possibly known Armaldo's Tyranitar kill streak. Most likely case was that he simply wanted to keep his Tyranitar alive, and Jellicent looked to be the best way to kill Armaldo. I'll play it save and protect to scout out his next move.

Start of turn 2
Armaldo used Protect!
Armaldo protected itself!

The foe's Jellicent used Will-O-Wisp!

(100%) VS
(100%)

Having seen his choice of move against Armaldo and pissing off Jellicent, I decide to stay safe and keep the rest of my party as healthy as possible. Knowing that my Chandelure could be killed off early if I switch in on a predicted WoW and get a STAB water move in the face instead, I'm going to go with knock off. Knock off is a superb move in this metagame, with so many pokemon relying on their items, and it allows me to scout out how good at predicting my opponent is. If he WoW's, then I won't be able to bring Chandelure in as he wouldn't WoW a burned pokemon. If he chooses to throw water at me, then I'll know to keep Chandy from being wet, and thanks to sandstorm being up, my little fossil has a nicely boosted special defense. Either case, I've deprived him of his leftovers and he's going to waste turns with recover if he wants to live.

Start of turn 3
The foe's Jellicent used Taunt!
Armaldo fell for the taunt!

Armaldo used Knock Off!
It's super effective!

The foe's Jellicent lost 9% of its health!
Armaldo knocked off the foe's Jellicent's Leftovers!

(100%) VS
(84.75%)

Unless this was a bluff, I've successfully obtained a free switch in and power boost for Chandelure waiting in the wings. By using taunt, my opponent has exposed his dislike for my ability to protect and is determined to set a burn to my fossil. It's a ballsy move, but so far my opponent has shown no insight to my Chandelure's presence, and so Chandelure will make his appearance now.

Start of turn 4

WinstonShnozwick called Armaldo back!
WinstonShnozwick sent out Shandara! (Chandelure)

The foe's Jellicent used Will-O-Wisp!
The attack of the foe's Jellicent missed!

(100%) "I'm the one taunting you.." -->
(93.75%) VS
(78.5%)

All goes according to plan, and speaking of, I am not to be deterred from my original plan. The little hax didn't matter in the slightest, although had Armaldo stayed in, it would have been unfortunate for my opponent. My plot to assassinate Tyranitar and claim weather for my own ruling shall continue, and I choose HP fighting to nail him in the face on the switch. Jellicent should turn tentacle and swim away in fear of my ghostly spheres.

Start of turn 5
Durran called Jellicent back!
Durran sent out Excadrill!

Shandara used Hidden Power!
It's super effective!

The foe's Excadrill lost 76% of its health!

(87.5%) VS
(78.5%) -->
(24%)

Tyranitar evades death yet again, but my attempt was not futile. He saw a shadow ball heading for his Jellicent it seems, and thought he could get a free switch to start his sweep. Well, Chandelure has unfinished business to kill Jellicent. This is a dangerous turn, if he goes for a swords dance while I switch out, he may well injure my team beyond saving to the rest of his team, but from the Jellicent play, I'm assuming he goes for more obvious, straight to buisness, type moves, and will attack. I'm going to go to Gyarados here, because earthquake is much more likely than rock slide to happen, and the intimidate attack drop should force him out.

Start of turn 6
WinstonShnozwick called Shandara back!
WinstonShnozwick sent out Gyarados!

Gyarados intimidates the foe's Excadrill!

The foe's Excadrill's Attack fell!
The foe's Excadrill used Earthquake!
It had no effect!

(87.5%) -->
(93.75%) VS
(24%)

As the mighty sea serpent shows his head and bellows at the knee high mole, he can't help but be so intimidating that the tiny rodent cowers in fear and feels weaker in his limbs. With a weak and injured Excadrill, I'm going to assume that he will want to save him for a late game sweep. A free dragon dance never hurt anyone.. besides whoever Gyarados is angry at.

Start of turn 7
The foe's Excadrill used Rock Slide!
It's super effective!

Gyarados lost 190 HP! (57% of its health)
The foe's Excadrill is hurt by its Life Orb!

Gyarados used Dragon Dance!
Gyarados's Attack rose!
Gyarados's Speed rose!

(30.5%) VS
(14%)

I see that I thought wrong, and my poor Gyarados paid dearly for my misplay. I should have gone right for the kill with waterfall, what was I thinking. It looks like my opponent's direct approach play is getting predictable, and I'm going to have to believe that he will keep Excadrill in and try to net a KO before he dies. Empoleon can shrug off a resisted rock slide at -1 easily.

Start of turn 8
WinstonShnozwick called Gyarados back!
WinstonShnozwick sent out Emperior! (Empoleon)

It's not very effective...

Emperior lost 46 HP! (13% of its health)

(30.5%) -->
(87%) VS
(4%)

I'd very much like to keep Empoleon in healthy state right now for the rest of the battle, and Gyarados is the best switch right now to keep the rest of my team alive. Another earthquake immunity and intimidate drop will get that mole out of my hair. The life orb is going to kill him, and Gyarados is mostly useless to me anyway. "You did this to me! -Gyarados"

Start of turn 9
WinstonShnozwick called Emperior back!
WinstonShnozwick sent out Gyarados!

Gyarados intimidates the foe's Excadrill!

The foe's Excadrill's Attack fell!
It's super effective!

Gyarados lost 101 HP! (30% of its health)
Gyarados fainted!
The foe's Excadrill fainted!

Durran sent out Latios!

WinstonShnozwick sent out Rotom-Grin! (Rotom-C)

(87%) -->
(0%) -->
(100%) VS
(0%) -->
(100%)
5-5

Unfortunately he was determined to get his kill, but not he will trouble me no longer. With my Empoleon healthy and ready to battle, I'm going to let him at Latios. A volt switch to rack up damage and Empoleon will take that specs draco meteor like the special wall he was designed to be.

Start of turn 10
Rotom-Grin used Volt Switch!

The foe's Latios lost 17% of its health!
WinstonShnozwick called Rotom-Grin back!

The foe's Latios used Draco Meteor!

Emperior lost 120 HP! (36% of its health)
The foe's Latios's Sp. Att. sharply fell!
The foe's Latios is hurt by its Life Orb!

Emperior restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

(100%) -->
(56.25%) VS
(66.75%)

My previous strategy to combat the weather has gotten out of hand, but with Excadrill out of the way, Armaldo only needs to simply knock off his Landorus to guarantee me safety. He's not going to keep his Latios in now, so I'm going to get rocks up for free this turn.

Start of turn 11
Durran called Latios back!
Durran sent out Ferrothorn!

Emperior used Stealth Rock!
Pointed stones float in the air around Durran's team!

(62.5%) VS
(66.75%) -->
(100% + Stealth Rock)

Unless he had switched Jellicent in, I saw Ferrothorn coming a mile away. Empoleon has done his job for the moment and I'd much rather keep hazards off my side of the field, and so I will send out my unorthodox spinner to kill the durian fruit and spin away any problems.

Start of turn 12

The foe's Ferrothorn used Spikes!
Spikes were scattered all around the feet of WinstonShnozwick's team!

(62.5%) -->
(100% + 1 Spikes) VS
(100% + Stealth Rock)

Armaldo having gained his free switch in, will now low kick Ferrothorn while it sets up hazards. From experience, I can do a good 25% damage to Ferrothorn with low kick and more if it is a specially defensive variant. If he sends out Latios or Jellicent again, I'll pivot to Chandelure or Empoleon if possible.

Start of turn 13
Armaldo used Low Kick!
It's super effective!

The foe's Ferrothorn lost 38% of its health!
The foe's Ferrothorn's Iron Barbs hurts Armaldo

The foe's Ferrothorn used Leech Seed!
Armaldo was seeded!

Armaldo restored a little HP using its Leftovers!
Armaldo's health is sapped by leech seed.
The foe's Ferrothorn restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

(81.25% + 1 Spikes + Leech Seed) VS
(83.75% + Stealth Rock)

The seed was annoying, so I might as well spin right now because I don't want to keep losing health.

Start of turn 14

Durran called Ferrothorn back!
Durran sent out Latios!

Pointed stones dug into the foe's Latios!

Armaldo used Rapid Spin!
The foe's Latios lost 8% of its health!
Armaldo blew away Leech Seed!
Armaldo blew away Spikes!

(87.5%) VS
(83.75%) -->
(40% + Stealth Rock)

All of the residual damage is adding up on his Latios, and it will hopefully be gone within a few turns. I'm going to scout out his move with protect again, as he might predict my switch to Empoleon, as he can take draco meteors all day long and KO with ice beam. He's probably going to go for a switch back to Ferrothorn after he hits me, so I'll double switch to Armaldo to keep the pressure on if/when that happens.

Start of turn 15
Armaldo used Protect!

The foe's Latios used Recover!
The foe's Latios regained health!

(93.75%) VS
(83.75% + Stealth Rock)

Damn, this complicates things a bit. I know Empoleon will 2HKO with ice beam, and Chandelure can OHKO with shadow ball, but getting them in for those conditions will be difficult. I'm going to pivot to Empoleon now to take the draco meteor, and back to Armaldo to take out Ferrothorn.

Start of turn 16
Durran sent out Landorus!

Pointed stones dug into the foe's Landorus!

(93.75%) -->
(68.75%) VS
(83.75%) -->
(87.5% + Stealth Rock)

Complications arise, as the earthen genie appears before me. I could switch back to Armaldo right now to knock off his (probable) scarf. I know Armaldo can be hit by earthquake twice and not care, but in sand, with the life orb power boost, I'm not sure if Armaldo would live. I know Empoleon is OHKO'd at this point, and I need him desperately for Latios still. Oh but wait.. I do have Rotom C still. earthquake is the obvious move, it hits all of my team except the (unconscious) Gyarados and Rotom C.

Start of turn 17

The foe's Landorus used Hidden Power!
It's super effective!
Rotom-Grin lost 162 HP! (67% of its health)
The foe's Landorus is hurt by its Life Orb!

(68.75%) -->
(26.75%) VS
(77.5% + Stealth Rock)

Well well well, someone seems to like life orb a bit too much for their own good, and it's slowly killing half his team off for me. Scarfed Landorus catastrophe averted, I know I can safely outspeed and KO him with Rotom, Chandelure, or Froslass. I'm going to stay in this time and go for the kill with leaf storm. From my playing style so far, I'm going to hope he will predict me to switch out or that I carry specs, and stay in.

Start of turn 18

Rotom-Grin used Leaf Storm!
The foe's Landorus lost 78% of its health!
The foe's Landorus fainted!
Rotom-Grin's Sp. Att. sharply fell!

Pointed stones dug into the foe's Ferrothorn!

(20.5%) VS
(0%) -->
(77.5% + Stealth Rock)
5-4

My attack succeeding, I now will change my play style against my opponent. So far, I've been on the defensive, thanks to Landorus and Excadrill threatening me. With his primary offensive core taken down, I'm going to go on the offensive and force him to play defensively. Rotom would volt switch here to gain a bit more momentum, but he is choice locked, so I'll have to switch manually. Armaldo is the obvious move here, and I did that last time - when I was playing defensively. Chandelure is going to lead now, and clean up the battle for me.

Start of turn 19

The foe's Ferrothorn used Power Whip!

Shandara lost 78 HP! (29% of its health)

(20.5%) -->
(52.25%) VS
(77.5% + Stealth Rock)

I forgot to mention that Chandelure also resists Ferrothorn's STAB's, and therefore had another reason to switch semi safely. No Ferrothorn should ever stay in on Chandelure, and I'm going to trust this. With his health getting lower, I stand a fair chance to KO him right here with HP fighting, but probably not seeing as he looked like a specially defensive variant a while back in the battle. HP fighting is my first option, with his dangerous Tyranitar threatening a pursuit or crunch, and it would catch him on the switch for a 2HKO. However, his earlier playing suggests that he wants to keep his Tyranitar alive. Also, with Jellicent and Latios stlll alive, there is a 50% chance of shadow ball catching something for a KO as opposed to HP fighting catching Tyranitar at 25% chance. Therefore I'm going to go with shadow ball and KO one of his ghost weak pokemon.

Start of turn 20
Durran sent out Jellicent!

Pointed stones dug into the foe's Jellicent!

Shandara used Shadow Ball!
It's super effective!

A critical hit!
The foe's Jellicent lost 65% of its health!
The foe's Jellicent fainted!

Pointed stones dug into the foe's Tyranitar!

(46%) VS
(77.5%) -->
(0%) -->
(87.5% + Stealth Rock)
5-3

I calculated after this battle, and my Chandelure would have done 54.21% - 63.86% damage against a 252 HP/252 SpDef Calm Jellicent, so I think it's safe to say he didn't make his Jellicent into a completely special wall in that way and that the crithax didn't matter at all. Sending Tyranitar out was obvious now, and it could be a pursuiter, in which case my Chandelure is dead. I really need to keep him alive to clean up the battle, and only about 50% of Tyranitars run pursuit in my experience, so I'm going to switch out in hope. Anyway, if I knew he carried pursuit, shadow ball is doing nothing to him with sand boosted special defense. Right back to how this match began, I'm going to let Armaldo go for his well deserved kill. Only stone edge can hurt Armaldo from experience, and that isn't going to be the move he chooses.

Start of turn 21

Durran called Tyranitar back!
Durran sent out Latios!

(46%) -->
(100%) VS
(87.5%) -->
(65% + Stealth Rock)

A double switch was unexpected, but that confirmed that he didn't have pursuit, thankfully. I'll decide to use protect here for some lefties recovery and scouting. His choices to switch are Ferrothorn or Tyranitar. He won't switch to Tyranitar because low kick OHKO's, and Ferrothorn is near death.

Start of turn 22
Armaldo used Protect!

(100%) VS
(93.75% + Stealth Rock)

I went for the useless move again, and really should have learned from the last time he did it. That thing is really starting to annoy me, and knock off will weaken his attacks, where Empoleon will be able to kill him and not be killed. Knock off it is then.

Start of turn 23

Armaldo used Knock Off!

The foe's Ferrothorn lost 1% of its health!
Armaldo knocked off the foe's Ferrothorn's Leftovers!

(93.75%) VS
(93.75%) -->
(70.25% + Stealth Rock)

Ferrothorn will have to use leech seed to stay alive now, and Armaldo will kill him in two hits with low kick. It's as good as dead. The only switch possible is Latios, but he doesn't seems to want to have that out right now. Low kick is my only option. I could switch, but Froslass is useless, Empoleon could eat a leech seed, and Chandelure needs to stay in to kill something still.

Start of turn 24
Armaldo used Low Kick!
It's super effective!

The foe's Ferrothorn lost 38% of its health!

The foe's Ferrothorn used Gyro Ball!
It's super effective!

Armaldo lost 134 HP! (37% of its health)

(50.5%) VS
(32.25% + Stealth Rock)

Start of turn 25
Durran sent out Latios!

Armaldo used Low Kick!
The foe's Latios lost 15% of its health!

(56.75%) VS
(32.25%) -->
(60% + Stealth Rock)

I'm going to knock off Latios, because I've fallen for recover too many times. Thanks to sandstorm, his special defense can take a hit.

Start of turn 26
The foe's Latios used Psyshock!
Armaldo lost 139 HP! (39% of its health)

The foe's Latios is hurt by its Life Orb!

Armaldo used Knock Off!
It's super effective!

The foe's Latios lost 14% of its health!
Armaldo knocked off the foe's Latios's Life Orb!

(24%) VS
(29.75% + Stealth Rock)

Start of turn 27
Armaldo used Protect!

(30.25%) VS
(73.5%)

<________<

Start of turn 28

The foe's Latios used Psyshock!

Emperior lost 81 HP! (24% of its health)

(30.25%) -->
(51%) VS
(67.25%)

Empoleon can take any hit from Latios right now, and I'll just attack to wear him down. A scald will injure Ferrothorn enough to finally KO him hopefully, and Tyranitar won't like it at all, especially if it burns him.

Start of turn 29

Emperior used Scald!

The foe's Ferrothorn lost 11% of its health!

(51%) VS
(93.75%) -->
(15% + Stealth Rock)

Despite staring death in the face constantly from lack of reliable recovery outside leech seed and leftovers, and being slow enough to guarantee that they are attacked first, Ferrothorns' always seem to think they can stay alive even at that last thread of health. He can't do anything much to damage my pokemon now, and I'm convinced he's going to go for leech seed.

Start of turn 30

The foe's Ferrothorn used Leech Seed!
It doesn't affect Rotom-Grin...

(51%) -->
(14.25%) VS
(15% + Stealth Rock)

Free momentum here. Volt switch is obligatory.

Start of turn 31

The foe's Ferrothorn lost 12% of its health!

The foe's Ferrothorn used Power Whip!
Armaldo lost 103 HP! (29% of its health)
Armaldo fainted!

(14.25%) -->
(0%) -->
(14.25%) VS
(3% + Stealth Rock)
4-3

More momentum
. Rest in peace you tough fossil.

Start of turn 32

The foe's Ferrothorn lost 3% of its health!
The foe's Ferrothorn fainted!

Durran sent out Latios!

(14.25%) -->
(39.75%) VS
(0%) -->
(54.75% + Stealth Rock)
4-2

The battle now reaches a critical stage. Earlier, I'm not sure, but I've had suspicions that he could have kept his Latios in on my Empoleon, recovering the ice beam damage, and KOing eventually. I will never know. But this is a point that could prove disastrous for me. Chandelure can't OHKO Tyranitar from full health, Empoleon is weak and killed by earthquake, Rotom is near dead and won't do much with leaf storm. Froslass could be my last ditch attempt to save this game if it goes badly, with destiny bond giving me a draw at best. I have two choices now, and there are four possible outcomes. 1) If I go for the HP fighting predicting the Tyranitar switch, I win. 2) If I go for the HP fighting and he stays in, I lose. 3) If I shadow ball predicting him staying in, I win. 4) If I shadow ball and he switches, I lose. Now, two things make my decision here. Many Latios' stay in on Chandelure, thinking they can outspeed. I run scarf, and I always outspeed ones that aren't also scarfed. Also, from my playing style and his in this battle already, I deduce that he will predict my HP fighting and stay in for the kill, and he has played extremely conservatively with his Tyranitar as well, which lead me to believe he wants to keep it until there is nothing left. So I go for the double bluff with shadow ball.

Start of turn 33
Shandara used Shadow Ball!
It's super effective!

The foe's Latios lost 55% of its health!
The foe's Latios fainted!

Pointed stones dug into the foe's Tyranitar!

(33.5%) VS
(0%) -->
(75%)
4-1

I say my gg at this moment, assured of victory. Chandelure can escape since this Tyranitar can't pursuit him, and come back for an HP fighting. What's the worst that could happen?

Start of turn 34

The foe's Tyranitar used Crunch!
Rotom-Grin lost 34 HP! (14% of its health)
Rotom-Grin fainted!

The foe's Tyranitar restored a little HP using its Leftovers!
(33.5%) -->
(0%) -->
(33.5%) VS
(81.25%)
3-1

"Whats the worst that could happen?"
THAT'S-

Start of turn 35
Shandara used Hidden Power!
It's super effective!

The foe's Tyranitar lost 59% of its health!

It's super effective!

Shandara lost 87 HP! (33% of its health)
Shandara fainted!

(0%) -->
(51%) VS
(28.5%)
2-1

"What's the worst that could happen?"
-NOT FUNNY! :p

Start of turn 36

Emperior lost 81 HP! (24% of its health)

Emperior used Scald!
It's super effective!

The foe's Tyranitar lost 28% of its health!
The foe's Tyranitar fainted!

(27%) VS
(0%)
2-0

WinstonShnozwick won the battle!

Now, to this day, I will never know why he did not use earthquake on me. It could be that he simply didn't have it, and ran a set with stealth rock/crunch/fire blast/??. It could be that he thought I thought I would die that turn and therefore switch to Froslass. If I had done so, might have lost, maybe. If Empoleon had been killed, I would have scraped a draw with destiny bond from Froslass.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Props:
-My opponent's Latios. If he had played differently with it, he probably could have gotten past me using recover and made way for victory.
-Empoleon for getting stealth rock up which (most likely) contributed to some KO's. Stealth rock is definately the best hazard in the game, I'd take it over spikes any time.
-Rotom for giving me some much helpful momentum and taking out Landorus, who might have been trouble later in the match. (but I rather doubt it)
-My opponent's ability to keep his Tyranitar alive, which could have done a late game clean up of my team in a slightly different situation, and was great against my anti weather strategy, which he probably didn't know about.

Slops:
-My poor misuse of Gyarados. The poor guy didn't get any game time besides stalling out Excadrill. If he had gone for waterfall I would have at least had gained something to fodder later in the match.
-Life orb Landorus. Seriously, out sped and revenged by a large number of common sweepers. He could have torn up my team if he had ran scarf, and Armaldo knocking off or Froslass would have been the only ones able to stop him.
-My opponent's slight predictability earlier in the match with Jellicent and Excadrill.
-Armaldo giving Latios free recovery 3 times in a row with protect. You'd think I'd learn..

MVP:
The warstory was partially named after Empoleon, but Armaldo was IMO the MVP of this. He was a great pivot for taking abuse, stopped Ferrothorn from laying any hazards, and flipped knocked off Jellicent, Ferrothorn, and Latios, depriving them all of items that could have increased their chances in winning. (Despite his mishap with protect/recover :P)

I hope that this was enjoyable, I worked much harder on it than my first warstory (that, yeah, I admit had a terrible battle and commentary). I started on it last night for a few hours and finished it today. I tried much harder to make better commentary. Thanks for reading.

The Tyranitar was Scarfed, perhaps? It sure seems like it, he only locked himself into Crunch because you still had Rotom-C.

Very nice battle and warstory, it was easy to read and follow. Glad to see some of the less used pokemon in it. Keep it up!

Pretty sure the T-Tar was the Standard SR/Fire Blast/Ice Beam/Crunch Specially defensive.

His T-tar would have Ice Beam as the fourth move. I liked this warstory, you did a good job.
Ah, thanks.

The Tyranitar was Scarfed, perhaps? It sure seems like it, he only locked himself into Crunch because you still had Rotom-C.
I thought that at first, but when re reading the log (I missed this), I saw;
The foe's Tyranitar restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Jirachee

phoenix reborn
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Wow, nice predicts at some points, good warstory, I really enjoyed it. Props to you for using such an original team!

He might still have had pursuit. He double switched to Latios, as he might do if he was afraid of hp fighting (as at that point he might not have known chandelure was scarfed). Having said that though he probably ran ice beam lol. Nice warstory, nice team. Good job.

There were a TONS of misplays from your opponent and quite poor commentary featured in this warstory.

For starters, your confidence in Tyranitar staying against Armaldo shows that you play against awful players, who keep Tyranitar in on super effective moves, because guess what?? Low Kick or not, Armaldo is a Bug type that has X-Scissor as STAB. I was tempted to stop reading at that moment. Your opponent using will-o-wisp to give Chandelure a free switch-in was a really poor move, since his/her team doesn't like switching into Chandelure in general. Scald can do damage to Armaldo and has the burn chance without letting Chandelure get in for free. Your opponent then proceeded to switch Excadrill into Chandelure, when Landorus was clearly the better switch-in.

There are so many more problems I have with the playing in this match but complaining any more really isn't going to do anything, and the two teams themselves have many flaws.

4/10

You developed a very nice warstory. Good commentary and it was smooth the entire way through. I am really glad about how it turned out.
in response to malvira
Most opponents prolly predicted SR and X-scissors would not KO ttar anyway. Stone edge will ko armaldo and most people prolly predicted a switch or something. Plus, maldo is slower, so its an early kill.
The opponent predicted that chandy could not switch in since it can scald it to death.
Also, most users of WOW dont usually have scald in the first place since double burn is redundant.
Switching in Exca means that he predicted the shadow ball, went for the resist and go for an early kill. Landy would be a terrible switch. It gets 2hkoed, if not, ohkoed by shadow ball and he is slower after all. Although ttar would have been a better switch in it could also get hit with energy ball, which most chandys carry.
And how do the teams have flaws?

Yep, maybe that Tyranitar didn't have Pursuit, but... The battle was quite entertaining, even if you needed 5 Pokémon instead of 6 (Froslass?) to win. Some good predictions, like that Shadow Ball at turn 33 and great usage of RU Pokémon (Armaldo, Rotom-C...). One or two misplays here and there though (not predicting Latios' Recover at turn 22). Also, in response to some &quot;obnoxious&quot; reviewers, this warstory's commentary is good, even very good at times. 7.5/10

I really enjoyed this one. So your Armaldo set is Low Kick/Protect/Spin/Knock off? Seems specialized as hell, but works out...apparently?

Props for using Rotom-C and especially Armaldo, though the Protect/Recover thing was kinda... well you know. I thought it was quite a good battle aside from that and Gyarados, and I love the format, easy to read and all that.

7/10

Thanks guys!

Props for using Rotom-C and especially Armaldo, though the Protect/Recover thing was kinda... well you know. I thought it was quite a good battle aside from that and Gyarados, and I love the format, easy to read and all that.
Rotom C was discussed a few pages back in the OU suspect testing thread. He's a great counter to Rotom W and rain.

I really enjoyed this one. So your Armaldo set is Low Kick/Protect/Spin/Knock off? Seems specialized as hell, but works out...apparently?
He's my physical wall/spinner. Neutrality to fighting and ground moves are very nice, for once, a bug typing comes in handy :D (besides the rock weakness)

There were a TONS of misplays from your opponent and quite poor commentary featured in this warstory.

For starters, your confidence in Tyranitar staying against Armaldo shows that you play against awful players, who keep Tyranitar in on super effective moves, because guess what?? Low Kick or not, Armaldo is a Bug type that has X-Scissor as STAB. I was tempted to stop reading at that moment. Your opponent using will-o-wisp to give Chandelure a free switch-in was a really poor move, since his/her team doesn't like switching into Chandelure in general. Scald can do damage to Armaldo and has the burn chance without letting Chandelure get in for free. Your opponent then proceeded to switch Excadrill into Chandelure, when Landorus was clearly the better switch-in.

There are so many more problems I have with the playing in this match but complaining any more really isn't going to do anything, and the two teams themselves have many flaws.

4/10
I'm glad you felt big enough to voice such a strong opinion, but please try to be realistic before making such assumptions.

1) Armaldo can go offensive, yes, but he's in RU for a reason. Even a max attack x scissor can not OHKO tyranitar, and it ttar runs physical defense, it could be a 2hko. Outside of that he has terrible coverage. Also, armaldo is weak to stone edge (2hko'd by physical ttar), and is more seen as setup bait then any realistic threat.

2) Jellicent has better water moves to run alongside WoW besides scald. And landorus would have been a terrible switch in for my opponent. He obviously predicted a shadow ball, and would be a terrible player if he just decided to send out his landorus into a possible shadow ball that could OHKO him. You can say always suggest a better move choice once you know what happened, but sadly, during the battle, neither I nor my opponent were omnipotent. If I had used shadow ball as expected, would you still whine about excadrill being a poor switch in?

You also failed to say in any way how they were "poor" teams. If you seriously believe so, you've probably just insulted 60% of sandstorm teams out there, since Tyranitar, Landorus, Excadrill, are all staples of a sand team, and Latios, Ferrothorn, and Jellicent are all great additions to add to team synergy. Thanks for trying though. :)

I don't know if PO emulates this correctly, but KOing the opponent's last pokemon with a Destiny Bond from your own last pokemon will cause you to lose the match in Gen V.

Well, couldn't you have just gone Froslass before Empoleon and used Destiny Bond? You still would've had Empoleon alive and would have gotten a win for it.

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
There is nothing wrong with predicting a shadow ball and switching excadrill in on chandy. Exca would often attempt to switch in on a blaziken SD in the past, and still thinks he's cool enough to switch in on volcorona quiver dance.

there were some good predictions, along with good formatting and an interesting battle made this warstory a good read, and in terms of tiers, your teams pretty diverse.

7.5\10

I don't know if PO emulates this correctly, but KOing the opponent's last pokemon with a Destiny Bond from your own last pokemon will cause you to lose the match in Gen V.
That reminds me. Perish Song should work the same way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)