Project RU Player of the Week #3: -Tsunami-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Approved by Spirit

Based on other Player of the Week threads

banner by Lax

-Tsunami-

Hi guys! Welcome to the third player of the week, this week we have ShakeItUp or Tsunami, a very successful and experienced RU player that has played and managed in tours such as RUPL and SPL, and have previously been on the council! Let's hop into this interview!
How did you get into competitive battling?

I watched this youtuber named Uutton like 7 years ago. He was in this clan on an IRC network called PurpleSurge. I joined the server, clan hopped for ages, and eventually found Smogon.

How did you choose the usernames ShakeItUp and Tsunami?

Lol. The 1st was named after the disney show, even though I didn't really like it. It just sounded cool. I never really used it on IRC, though, so I changed my name to Tsunami, which was like one of my best friend's names on PurpleSurge.

What is currently your favourite play style in RU?

Semi-stall / balance. Alomomola is amazing because it walls so many Pokemon, and you can play more recklessly with it than you could with other walls due to Regenerator. Its ability to WishPass also allows you to play more recklessly with the rest of your team. So I try to use that along with other bulkier Pokemon on teams I don't steal. I don't like stall, though. I need at least some hard-hitting Pokemon on my team or it's kind of boring.

Any Pokemon you find underrated in the tier and would recommend trying to players?

guess Registeel might be underrated? Maybe. It's really good and walls a lot of special attackers. Using it with wish support from something like Alomomola makes it better, but even without it, it's a good sponge for a lot of teams. Also, Linoone is god.

What has been your favourite Meta/Stage in Gen 6 RU so far?

My favorite stage was the first stage of XY. There were so many amazing Pokemon like Kyurem, Sableye, Venomoth, and Cresselia that you could make really interesting teams. It was a pretty unhealthy metagame, but it was fun :]

How would you compare your experience in RU ladder battles and RU tournament battles?

For tournament battles in general, I just steal teams I like from replays and just play with them. If I care about the tournament, I'll try to counterstyle my opponent. The RU ladder is pretty mediocre in general, and most people can't really break through Alomomola + Registeel consistently, so it's easier to win.

If you could change one thing in RU what would you change?

Idk. I just feel like this metagame is too defensive even with Honchkrow. Not to mention, Mega Steelix is on like over 30% of teams which is just ridiculous. I would like a metagame where hazard spam was more viable; I guess getting rid of Flygon would do that, but that entirely goes against any real logic since it's not really unhealthy or broken. So yeah idk.

What players in the RU community do you look up to or are good friends with?

I started RU in BW1 Stage 3, so I'm friends with most of the 'known' people in the community I suppose. Some of them don't really play anymore though, shoutouts Honko and SilentVerse :] My closest friend is Omfuga, though. That nigga is a god LOL. DittoCrow was also one of my closest friends on PurpleSurge, so I still talk to him whenever he comes on :]

Do you have any advice for new players that want to get into RU?
The metagame is pretty defensive, so don't get discouraged if you play some annoying player like me who spams Protect + Toxic. If you don't want to play defensively, make sure to load up on Pokemon like LO Medicham and CB Sawk that can break those teams. Also, please don't be a noob and let your Mega Steelix get trapped by Magnet Rise Magneton. Run Roar if you can.

Finally is there a team you can post with your interview and give a brief explanation of how it works?

Kyou Fujibayashi (Linoone) (F) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Pickup
EVs: 148 HP / 252 Atk / 108 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Seed Bomb
- Belly Drum
- Shadow Claw

Reina Kousaka (Magneton) @ Eviolite
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 240 HP / 252 SpA / 16 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Magnet Rise

Kirino Kousaka (Tyrantrum) (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Head Smash
- Outrage
- Dragon Claw
- Superpower

Haruhi Suzumiya (Alomomola) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 104 HP / 252 Def / 152 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Wish
- Toxic
- Protect

Kyouko Hori (Golbat) (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Defog
- Roost
- Super Fang

Yukino Yukinoshita (Registeel) @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Seismic Toss
- Protect
- Toxic

This is the original version of my Linoone team. I have other versions, though, that are probably better and cover different things. None of them have Linoone, though. Basically, you attempt to Toxic everything with Alomomola + Registeel. Golbat stops hazard spam and "counters" Virizion and Scrafty (double switch = rip). Magneton traps weakened Registeel and other steels, the most important one being Mega Steelix.
Tyrantrum revenge kills a lot of Pokemon, and is another check to things like Virizion. Finally, Linoone occasionally sweeps teams by setting up on weak walls; it also checks Hoopa with Shadow Claw.

Thanks again to Shake for letting me do this interview with him, leave any questions for him and suggestions for people in future interviews below! :toast:

Last edited:

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Who do you feel are the easiest veteran players for new RU players to approach for advice? (aside from the obvious forum mods ofc)

Best NU Pokemon that few people seem to use?

Hardest Pokemon to switch into overall?

What's the most memorable battle you were involved in? (we all know the most memorable battle overall was soulgazer's destruction in Zoro meta :P )

Why is your linoone not sdef?
mayb if seismitoed gets popular bro
-

Why is Yukinon best girl
yukino is perfect, duh :] yukino 4 life.

Who do you feel are the easiest veteran players for new RU players to approach for advice? (aside from the obvious forum mods ofc)

Best NU Pokemon that few people seem to use?

Hardest Pokemon to switch into overall?

What's the most memorable battle you were involved in? (we all know the most memorable battle overall was soulgazer's destruction in Zoro meta :P )
1. I really don't know LOL I mean the forum mods and the council people are obviously the easiest, but I'm not really sure who else.
2. Well, Malamar's the obvious answer. Other than that, though, I think Sub Wisp Rotom is a pretty good Pokemon; Pursuit is kind of annoying though. Vivillon is another one people have been using and it seems pretty interesting thanks to Sleep Powder + Hurricane.
3. CB Tyrantrum. No switch-ins.
4. SPL 4 vs. Lavos Spawn in BW OU. I went 10-0 that year. It came down to like his Gliscor + Celebi + Jellicent vs. my last mon Latios. He Protected for some reason, and I Dragon Danced LOL Draco Meteor KO'd Flygon, and then Outrage killed the other 2. That game was amazing.

If you were a Pokemon, what Pokemon would you be? (I'm gonna ask this to every interviewee...)
Mew bc it gets transform and I like to copy other people's stuff. It also learns like every TM so it has versatility.
-

Do you see a Steelix ban as reasonable (after Tyrantrum obvi)?

When are you going to upload again your accent is too beautiful to live without...

Do you see a Steelix ban as reasonable (after Tyrantrum obvi)?

When are you going to upload again your accent is too beautiful to live without...
1. yeah theyre both broken tbh
2. idk :[

Why are you complete garbage at the greatest meta of all time (mono color RU w/ one wild card)?
smh

why linoone team is so god
bc mola + registeel is broken. and no1 knows how to play vs a linoone
-

Oh also, fave ru pride mon that isn't linoone or mightyena?
there have been way too many LOL
cb cress was hilarious tho and i remember it so that for sure. every cress set is good oml

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)