RSAS (Peaked #14)

The
RU SURGICAL ATTACK SQUAD

Intro
Welcome to my second RU RMT! This time I will be covering my highly successful and offensive RU team, that has gotten me to an impressive rank 14 and 1261 points. After month's of playing RU and closely observing it on Pokemon Online as well as Youtube with is the result of my hard work. RSAS is a highly specialized team that relies on knowing an opponents team and forcing them to switch while you double switch into a big threat to deal massive damage to the opponent. Every team has its flaws and high points which will be covered in this detailed breakdown. Lets goooooooooooooooooo!

The Team From A Glance

Team Building Process

I chose Whimsicott first being a great anti lead for much of the current RU metagame and having access to priority taunt and stun spore.

Next with whimsicott's weaknesses of bug and fire I chose moltres to cover these weaknesses. The other fact is that life orb moltres is one of the best special sweepers and has access to roost unlike typhlosion.

Next I decided that I needed to have SR layer and wall with great physical bulk so I chose Rhydon. This choice was chosen over sandslash for the only reason that it has access to stab rock blast to destroy sub users and fish for crits.

Next it was simple to add some more offfense to this team and I decided to include sceptile and manectric. Manectric was the most useful option as a choice scarf user as it has a handy electric immunity and access to Overheat to destroy the infamous slowking/steelix wall combo. Sceptile was added to provide another physical threat with offensive capabilities as it can go special or physical with great force.

Gurdurr was my last addition as underrated late game sweeper with great bulk and access to guts.

Ranking Proof

Team Analysis

The Precisionist

Whimsicott (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Taunt
- Stun Spore
- Leech Seed
- Substitute/ Giga Drain

Sitting at a meager #36 for usage on the Smogon server and #11 for lead usage Whimsicott is one of the most underated leads in RU. Whimsicott was blessed with one most useful abilities in the whole pokemon metagame, Prankster.(heh heh) This one ability sets itself apart from any other lead as it will always go first and get off the essential stun spore first turn on a predicted switch or a taunt off on that annoying smeargle lead. Looking at the lead usage for RU whimsicott has the ability to shut down 6 of the top 10 leads. Sandslash, Aerodactyl, Smeargle and Steelix are easily taunted first turn and provide no threat to the precisionist outside of one time I saw a power herb sky attack aerodactyl(That was really weird...). Any kind of Drapion other than the very uncommon SD Cross Poison can't do anything, as a adamant max attack crunch will do a maximum 32.72% while leech seed, stun spore and leftovers will shut it down. Uxie is the last lead that whimsicott can beat 1V1 but will only act as a check. This is because Taunt will prevent Stealth Rocks or any status move but uturn is common on Uxie and will deal 20.37-24.07% to Whimsicott, while they can go into something like Galvantula, Accelgor or Moltres.

This only covers the antilead side of this little beast, as it will also stop or shutdown many potential sweeps. Namely the best thing about Whimsicott is the ability to stun spore anything that has gotten up any boosts or just poses a huge threat. A few more things that are walled include, Poliwrath, Ferroseed, Qwilfish, Rhydon and Munchlax. The set provided is pretty much the one to use 99% of the time but Gigadrain can be helpful in rare occasions to take down things like slowking or steelix before they can rest up or slack off(Very Rarely). If send in before any pokes have the opportunity to setup a sub or SD they will often be checked, but if not Whimsicott is not the best option to combat these problems and this is where his squad mates come in.

THE PYRO

Moltres @ Life Orb
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Roost
- Flamethrower
- Air Slash
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Time to send in the aerial bombardment! Damn this guy is still RU, that's amazing because its best special sweeper in the whole of RU. Boasting an impressive 125 spec atk and not too shabby 90 speed, this in combo with a timid nature reaches 306 speed and 349 spec atk which is so powerful. Moltres is able to destroy almost any wall other than a select few because of the life orb. Whimsicott is scared out by accelgor leads so I often send in moltres and then switch right out again to scout for the HP rock which really good info to have will little risk. I also takes down many various threats with it's great power such as roselia, gallade, medicham, rotom-c, and list continues. Roost is a great move to reverse the effects of SR which is what makes Moltres so much more useful than typhlosion and to of course increase it's survivability. HP Grass is standard to kill such things as omastar, sandslash and rhydon plus having 100% accuracy means that you can go for it over air slash to get the kill without missing. Personally I choose flamethrower over fire blast so I will never miss because you should never lose a game or match up because your never hitting the opponent. The only downside to this is that flamethower will not 2HKO mandibuzz after 1 stealth rocks. The direct counters to Moltres include Slowking, Munchlax, and this is where my next team member shines.

THE ASSASSIN

Sceptile (M) @ Grass Gem
Trait: Unburden
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Acrobatics
- Leaf Blade
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance

Sceptile is one of the few mixed pokemon in RU other than entei and electivire and they all pull off a great facade. Bluffing that this guy is special is often key in easily taking down a special wall most notably slowking and muchlax. The best thing to do is bring in sceptile on a physical wall such as sandslash or steelix and bluff that you are special so they switch. On the switch you set up a swords dance and if it is late game you can basically win now. Don't be mistaken though sceptile still serves as a great physical sweeper especially with access to unburden. Leaf Blade without boosts will still deal plenty of damage to various pokemon but is better suited for such things as slowking, poliwrath, and feraligatr. Earthquake is primarily for steelix but will also hit things hard such as qwilfish (after a SD), aggron, klinklang and electivire/manectric. Acrobatics is required because it will deal with fighting types and other grass types such as sawsbuck and lilligant. The only real counter to sceptile pokemon that are faster such as accelgor and scarf galvantula but unburden can often get around this problem. Stealth rocks are often key to scoring that OHKO or 2HKO the next guy fills that role perfectly.

THE TANK

Rhydon (F) @ Eviolite
Trait: Rock Head
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Blast/Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch/Roar/Dragon Tail/Toxic

The forth member of my team happens to be rhydon and this is due to a few great options it has going for it. Firstly Rhydon is usually overlooked by the fact that it is seen as a sub par sandslash. The first reason I chose Rhydon is for the obvious Stealth Rocks which always help to take down many threats or walls eg. moltres, typhlosion and mandibuzz. But the reason Rhydon is my forth poke is the access to stab rock blast, this is perfect for finishing off pokemon or detroying sub users such as bouffalant, medicham, gallade. Earthquake is there just because it is standard and is always a great option for dealing damage, no real explanation required. Fire Punch is really only their to stop ferroseed/roselia that might want to switch as they will always be a 2HKO. Roar is also a great option to stop pokemon that might want to setup on you that threaten you out such as crawdaunt and feraligatr (but whimsicott can deal with them well enough) or to get some extra Stealth Rocks damage. Dragon tail is same but I don't like the fact that it doesn't go through subs so Roar is usually more effective. Toxic can also be used the forth move to slap on those annoying counter walls that might switch in or to put on an opposing sweeper. I have invested Sdef evs to combat this teams biggest problem which happens to be galvantula so I can take any bug buzzes as long as it is choiced. This is why Rhydon sets itself apart from sandslash and does so well in my team composition.

THE RUN AND GUNNER

Manectric (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Lightningrod
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Overheat
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Manectric was an obvious choice for my team as it happens to be one of if not the best choice scarf user in the whole of RU. This is because it has the very handy lightning rod ability to shut down things as galvantula/rotom/manectric from using electric moves on moltres or other pokes. Reaching a great 508 speed stat even with a modest nature outspeed anything that is not scarfed and still being faster than anything that is scarfed with a base 90 speed or lower. The best asset for manectric is having flamethrower/overheat which makes is so great as it can easily take down the infamous slowking/steelix wall combo as well as hitting many other threats such as accelgor(which is not covered by any of my other pokemon), ferroseed, tangrowth and etc... Hidden power grass is not really needed but is handy to use on low health pokemon weak to it such as slowking and sandslash. The most important move on this set is volt switch, because as long as I have taken out the ground type pokemon on the other team I will always get switch preference while dealing great damage with a 105 power move each time. Thunderbolt is there to fill the last spot for a very strong stab move with 100% accuracy and will take out things that would often give my team trouble eg. +1/2 DD feraligatr/crawdaunt, sigilyth and aerodactyl. In all manectric makes to be a very strong scarfer because of the coverage and special attack that reaches 339.

THE BRUISER

Gurdurr (M) @ Eviolite
Trait: Guts
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch/Stone Edge
- Payback/Stone Edge

The underdog of RU, only being used 148 times in may, this beast is ready to shine. Gurdurr is an exceedingly underrated as with the right team composition this little Conkeldurr can kick***. Basically like its father, Gurdurr runs the exact same set with the same amount of bulk but only with less umf until a bulk up or two is set up. With eviolite it reaches a great 436 Sdef and has 374 hp already making it great at taking non stab special hits. But this bulk allows it to switch in from manectric or after a pokemon of mine has died and easily take 2 moves unless they are super effective or just too powerful(Banded Entei Flare Blitz). Because of this bulk up and the great special bulk can built up quickly and drain punch will keep it alive. Mach Punch is there to finish off low pokes. The last move is the most important and is always a throw up between payback or stone edge. I have personally chosen payback to combat OTR cofagrigus as I will always go second and after one bulk up will be taking 44.2-52.94% from a +2 shadow ball, while you will be dealing back 52.46-61.57% and in combo with SR damage and damage done when it sets up TR gurdurr will almost always win. And if this is not enough to make Gurdurr OP it has GUTS. Mother F`n GUTS, which will easily kill coFAG, and 2HKO or OHKO any pokemon that doesn`t resist drain punch after stealth rocks. The best strategy is to leave Gurdurr for last as it will do hefty damage after you take out other pokemon it can not so easily deal with.

THE DARK SIDE OF THE TEAM

Every team has it`s weaknesses and these are the ones that cripple RSAS.

#1 Threat GALVANTULA

This bug is the bane of my team as both it's stabs demolish my squad. Whimsicott and Sceptile are OHKO by Bug Buzz and Manectric is 2HKO'd. While Moltres is destroyed by thunder or volt switch and Gurdurrr is 2-3 KO'd. And unless Galvantula is scarfed Rhydon is wrecked by one energy ball. The best way to deal with it is to setup SR and force switches by predictions. Or make it go for thunder and get the lightning rod boost with manectric and proceed to Overheat.

#2 Threat PHYSICALLY DEFENSIVE CM SPIRITOMB

I see this guy often enough for it to be a problem and I really have no counter to him. Moltres can deal a good chunk with flamethrower but that is before any calm minds are up. After that the only way to win is too kill with a grass gem leaf blade or +2 Leaf blade which is hard when a +1 spiritomb can 2HKO sceptile. The only other thing I could do is switch fire punch for roar or toxic to phaze out or wear down spiritomb slowly. I hate this guy...

#3 Threat TOXIC SPIKES

(^LOL Wobbufett)

I really hate these so much because it really makes my team frail. Manectric Rhydon and Sceptile are the most effected as setting or switching in or out will deal significant damage each turn. The only thing to turn down an opponent from setting up toxic spikes is that Gurdurr has guts. But more often than not it ends up badly, which the only way to combat the problem is to taunt the layer or kill it early on.

IN CONCLUSION...

RSAS is a very effective high pressure team that relies on forcing switches and dealing massive damage with multiple sweepers. Keep Gurdurr for the end and don't be afraid to bluff the special sceptile at any chance you can. Thank you for reading my RMT and I would very much appreciate any feedback or criticism. See ya later and I will probably be back with another one in a couple months.

Importable:
Moltres @ Life Orb
Trait: Pressure
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Roost
- Flamethrower
- Air Slash
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Sceptile (M) @ Grass Gem
Trait: Unburden
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Acrobatics
- Leaf Blade
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance

Whimsicott (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Taunt
- Stun Spore
- Leech Seed
- Substitute

Gurdurr (M) @ Eviolite
Trait: Guts
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Payback

Rhydon (F) @ Eviolite
Trait: Rock Head
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Blast
- Earthquake
- Roar

Manectric (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Lightningrod
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Overheat
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Replay:
Coming Soon just searching my logs

Despite the fact you chose rhydon over sandslash I would recommend you get sandslash on your team. First of all your team is very much hazard weak. T-spikes as you mentioned is a threat and stealth rock wears down your team fast. If you really want a bulky ground type that also isn't weak to fighting type attacks you could try bulky offensive sandslash.

SandSlash@Leftovers Adamant
252 atk 252 HP 4 def
Rapid Spin
Stealth Rock
Earthquake
Stone Edge/Rock Slide

It helps keep the offensive momentum while providing the much necessary support your team needs and is simultaneously bulky.
If you want a special wall than can spin you could try that snowflake thing, lol. Well, good luck. ;D

Like I have said before that this is a very offensively based team, I won't let the opponent get layers and layers of hazards up and my team isn't weak to stealth rocks other than moltres. That is why it can deal with hazards other than Toxic Spikes, but I need the rhydon to deal with Galvantula and entei better than sandslash can.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)