Rowlet, Dartrix, Decidueye Discussion

Its only special options are literally shadow ball and energy ball. No focus blast, not even leaf storm. 100 sp.atk is such a waste...
Hidden Power, Solar Beam, Round, Echoed Voice, Grass Pledge.

And people seems to forget that the movesets change and grow from time to time.

Ok, yea, I've been thinking on it, and I agree with Deck Knight. While it's speed is unimpressive, Archerbirb's ability to trap you while it boosts via Work Up, NP, or SD (MAYBE Sub as well) in preparation for a BP while it Roosts off damage and has the ability to Defog is a niche that should not be sold short at all.

Hidden Power, Solar Beam, Round, Echoed Voice, Grass Pledge.

And people seems to forget that the movesets change and grow from time to time.
It's implied I meant relevant moves and out of those, only HP could possibly be considered that.

No taunt either :/

Decidueye has a lot of good and useful moves, but I feel like it will suffer from 4 move syndrome. Spirit Shackle is a must, but there are a lot other moves like U-Turn, Roost, Defog, Leaf Blade, SD, NS, Baton Pass etc. It will probably end up as a semi offensive pivot/Baton Passer, with Spirit Shackle to trap, SD/NP to set up, BP to transfer and a filler move like Roost, Defog or U-Turn.

Even with the unfortunate lack of Grass support moves, this thing still has pretty good role compression, it's a Defogger and slow pivot all in one, with reliable recovery to boot. It also has some pretty great coverage options, meaning it can be a Swords Dance abuser, even if it is a bit slow to be a proper sweeper. I definitely see this thing being UU/RU.

I think this would work as a tank killer but what if he had Curse Rest Spirit shackle and acrobat. Give him a chesto berry. The Pokémon can't leave and will die quickly to curse. Acrobat for coverage? Idk what do you think? I really want to find a way to make this guy work.

This might be wishful thinking, but I hope Decidueye gets access to Heat Wave, Earth Power, and/or Tailwind via Move Tutor in the future. Heat Wave (Hot Wind) gives it a much needed coverage move and it can finally put its base 100 SpAtk to good use. Without speed investment or a postive nature, Decidueye can surpass base speed 110's with a Tailwind boost at 352.

I think this would work as a tank killer but what if he had Curse Rest Spirit shackle and acrobat. Give him a chesto berry. The Pokémon can't leave and will die quickly to curse. Acrobat for coverage? Idk what do you think? I really want to find a way to make this guy work.
There are several ideas on the first 3 pages, maybe some will help you think o something that pleases you =P

Something with Spirit Shackle, Confuse Ray, Roost, and maybe sucker punch or a grass type attack seems like it could be good and gimicky. Combine it with someone who can toxic or toxic/ toxic spikes/ burn switch in and trap and confuse and wear them down. Also maybe team him up with someone with a Z move Parting Shot. Any thoughts?

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
You just made me realise, it can trap mons, use curse, and then Sythesis off the damage. That's great honestly. You can kill any oponent in 4 turns if they don't have recovery and you just have to be able to take hits (Fighting/Normal imunity is also nice). Has some useful resistances in Ground and Water too. Sounds like a fun thing to use.

This pokemon is a mixed bag. Lots of weaknesses, slow, not that bulky. On the other hand it has good mixed offensive stats, a sick signature move. I dont see it in the high tiers much but it I see many niches for it

do we have any information on the mechanics of spirit shackles yet? from its move description: the user attacks while simultaneously stitching the target's shadow to the ground to prevent the target from escaping, it sounded like there is a possibility that the effect will linger after decidueye switches out. since the target is stitched to the ground, and not linked to the user. unlike mean look (where the user stares at target)

do we have any information on the mechanics of spirit shackles yet? from its move description: the user attacks while simultaneously stitching the target's shadow to the ground to prevent the target from escaping, it sounded like there is a possibility that the effect will linger after decidueye switches out. since the target is stitched to the ground, and not linked to the user. unlike mean look (where the user stares at target)
I thought of that too, but for the trap to stay longer than mean look seems completely broken, even more so than shadow tag IMO. That's why I doubt it's like that and more along the lines of mean look + damage. Plus, last time we trusted GF descriptions we swore decidueye and vikavolt were going to be fast sweepers...

I thought of that too, but for the trap to stay longer than mean look seems completely broken, even more so than shadow tag IMO. That's why I doubt it's like that and more along the lines of mean look + damage. Plus, last time we trusted GF descriptions we swore decidueye and vikavolt were going to be fast sweepers...
You underestimate Game Freak in how willing they are to make things broken

I really have no idea where Decidueye will be this Generation.

He is pursuit weak, weak to knock off, defenses that are pretty good but doesn't compensate well for his low speed. OU threats like Bisharp, Weavile, Mega Pinsir, and Scizor are dangerous against him, which really sucks.

I can see him do well against pokemon like Breloom, Ferrothorn, Amoonguss, Rotom-w, Slowbro, and M-Loppuny though.

He seems to perform well theoretically in UU. Checks Celebi, Gardevoir, Vaporeon, Chesnaught, and M-Sceptile (somewhat)

A slow pivot that can trap foes and set up baton passes can potentially be really good next generation, who knows what's gonna be relevant then.

You underestimate Game Freak in how willing they are to make things broken
the poor speed and the spreading out of atk/spatk stats could be a way to compensate for the brokenness of the skill so that decidueye doesnt become crazily OP and spams Shackles. haha just a thought

At first I was like,"Nah, they prob. just copied the effect from Thousand Waves". But no! SS actually has a new effect value (384). So it most likely differs in some way from Thousand Waves.

Then again, the 1k Waves code this gen might include something like a Zygarde exclusivity checl (though that wasn't the case last gen). That might be why they had to write a different effect for SS.

Last edited:
So what could its possible tier be?
We got no clue, I can see it easily performing well in UU, but I'd also want to say it could perform well in OU if its signature move is as broken as people may think it could be. It really depends on how good that move is and if Decidueye is bulky enough to take hits from that metagame where using it is worth it.

At first I was like,"Nah, they prob. just copied the effect from Thousand Waves". But no! SS actually has a new effect value (384). So it most likely differs in some way from Thousand Waves.

Then again, the 1k Waves code this gen might include something like a Zygarde exclusivity checl (though that wasn't the case last gen). That might be why they had to write a different effect for SS.
can u share the link to the database with the effect value? I would like to check if dhelmise's anchor shot share the same effect value. Thanks

can u share the link to the database with the effect value? I would like to check if dhelmise's anchor shot share the same effect value. Thanks
https://paste.ee/r/mvJ70

Anchor Shot The user entangles the target with its anchor chain\nwhile attacking. The target becomes unable to flee. Steel Physical 80 Power 100% Accuracy 20 PP Adjacent Pokémon Effect 384, similar to Spirit Shackle Flags 0x49 Corkscrew Crash (160 Power)

Spirit Shackle The user attacks while simultaneously stitching the\ntarget’s shadow to the ground to prevent the target\nfrom escaping. Ghost Physical 80 Power 100% Accuracy 10 PP Adjacent Pokémon Effect 384 Flags 0x48 Never-Ending Nightmare (160 Power)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)