Role Models 'take two'

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Just a different take on the other Role Model thread.

Rather than asking who your role models are, do you believe you are the role model of somebody else? Because with it comes some sort of pressure to remain there.

I'm asking because I have 2 much younger brothers, one is 10 years younger than me and is 16, the other is 12 years younger. I helped raising them, I was there to help them make their homeworks, I've shown them how to ride a bike.. etc. They are basically my kids.

I always felt like they considered me to be their role model, especially after I left on my own and we wouldnt see each other as much. They liked coming to sleep over just to hang with me and they always shown interrest in stuff I like.

I am the big brother, Ive always been the strongest, the fastest, the smartest, I was seen as sort of a god to them.

Today however, I'm actually afraid that might change. I lost a wrestling match to my kid 16 yo bro. Granted he's huge and he works out but we've been fighting for fun for years and losing today just seemed to take some of that 'old brother mystique' away. I feel like I lost something more than a for-fun fight. I was really embarassed to lose, to begin, and started to use excuses to downplay it, which I regret now, I should have congratulated him more. Theres no way I wanted to admit that maybe he passed me by and that he's now better than me, when I've been better at everything for years. I'm going back on a work-out schedule just so it doesnt happen again.

Steelicks

Come here and Battle me!
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
since im gonna be a teacher, part of my job is to be a good role model for the kids. so they cant catch me smoking or littering, but should observe me reading books (as opposed to playing pokemon) and being non discriminative etc

Actually, yes. My best friend got into herpetology when he met me. He constantly asks questions and is a prodigy...yet he thinks I know everything and I clearly don't. He wants to reach my level and he will, but I have 3 years on him. At least I'm motivating him.

Well, I have a 17 year old sister (who is as tall as me and can dominate me in wresling btw), but I always try to be a good influence for her because our parents were kinda garbage when we grew up. She wants to be a math teacher and math is one of my concentrations at college, so you never know we might be able to have some classes together.

Also, I want to teach, so yeah I have to make sure I watch every move around students. For me, I don't really do any bad stuff except curse. So my biggest challenge my far is being able to hold my tounge.

I've turned a number of my friends into self loathing apathetic IRL trolls. I don't really consider this an accomplishment so much as being on task for this thread.

Because I'm usually the oldest member of a number of my various groups of friends (or at least socially able of them), I tend to often be looked up to as a big brother figure. A lot of people mistake what I exude as (over)confidence when really it's a general lack of self-control that borders on self-destructive in that I genuinely do not care about myself. I have a lot of terrible social habits, especially with friends, and I would probably hate myself if I knew me which is only ironic because I do know and hate myself. I don't know how any of that makes for good leadership qualities or why I usually put myself in a "daddy" role for people and functions, but it usually gets a party planned or people to stop shooting themselves in the foot with banal social conundrums.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)