ORAS OU RMT (XY, OU 6v6 singles)

Hi guys, I'm about a month in competitive battling and really enjoy it. Here's a team that I've been using for 2 weeks, and it has pretty mixed results. My team's fairly versatile, but its problem is fairies. They kinda just run over my team, but I'm having trouble deciding what to change. My team is also pretty weak to Special attack sweepers like Latios and Thundurus. Normally I switch into Conkeldurr because he has an assault vest, but it's not very uncommon for him to be OHKOd by the above. I've also lost every single game against Sylveon (fairy spamming piece of shit). I might want to change forretress, but the problem is that no one has access to stealth rocks+rapid spin, and when he's finished doing his job, he can still use toxic. He also has synergy with Heatran, as when I anticipate a fire move I can switch to Heatran thanks to his ability Flash Fire. Anyway, here's my team.

Forretress Lum Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rocks
- Toxic
- Toxic Spikes

Useful pokemon, is a hazard setter and remover. Like said earlier, he has synergy with Heatran. He also helps a lot against stall teams, as he has access to toxic spikes and toxic. If my Rotom-W has been taken out and I'm up against a strong physical sweeper, then he's usually able to set up toxic and survive 3-4 hits. Fairly straightforward.

Conkeldurr @ Assault Vest
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 140 HP / 252 Atk / 116 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Fire Punch

This pokemon has gotten me out of so much. He has an extreme amount of versatility with each of his moves, and can help a lot against strong special sweepers. He's also my switch in to common sweepers that set up with dragon dance, like garchomp, dragonite, salamance,... and others, as very few expect the ice punch. It's also impossible for them to OHKO him.

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang

A physical sweeper that I try to set up a dragon dance with by forcing opponent to switch. He's had mixed results, but seems to be good against stall teams. His rampage can completely get shut down by Thundurus though, as he has priority on Thunder Wave, so it's not difficult to counter DD Gyarados. This can be said for nearly every sweeper though. He has decent coverage, and when successful can singlehandedly win the game. In more unfortunate situations he can be completely useless.

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- X-Scissor

Another pokemon, like Conkeldurr, that's singlehandedly won games for me. For some reason nobody expects the Choice Scarf and stays in. He counters M-Charizard, Tyranitar, Excadrill, Greninja, and Talonflame when switched from Forretress (when Terrakion gets hit by a fire move, he can survive the priority Brave Bird). Is also nearly immune to Stealth Rocks, so that's nice.

Heatran @ Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Rash Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon
- Dragon Pulse

I've been having doubts about Heatran because he just has so many counters. Whenever I predict an Earthquake, I'm able to switch into Gyarados, but he still feels pretty frail. I wanted to run a choice scarf set but the issue is that my Terrakion needs it more, and frankly does more with it. Either way, if Heatran's given the chance to land an attack, he generally devastates. Priority moves like Aqua Jet and Mach punch ruin him anyway, so it's not like more speed will help him there.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

And last, but certainly not least, Rotom-W. This pokemon can shut down nearly any physical sweeper, and is honestly just the perfect physical tank. That said, he does have problems. A problem that him and Forretress run into when they attempt to use their status inflictions is the move Heal Bell. I also have to switch pokemon when the opponent sends out a special sweeper, and that pretty much gives the opponent a free turn to use Calm Mind.

Anyway, that's my team everyone. Any suggestions on fixing the problems I've outlined?

Hiya! This team is pretty cool, and I have some suggestions:
  • I would try using Volt Switch over Toxic Spikes on Forretress. Your set is taunt bait right now without an attacking move, and Volt Switch is a great pivot move that provides offensive pressure while possibly letting one of your Pokemon enter safely because of its slow speed (e.g. Heatran.) Toxic Spikes is expendable in this case, because you already have Toxic (Toxic takes priority because you can stall out most Pokemon that way.) In addition, I would probably use a Calm over Bold nature and Leftovers over Lum Berry. Having a Calm nature will bolster Forretress's special defense, which it needs more of a boost in than defense to act as an effective wall. Leftovers is preferred because it lets Forretress stay in the game longer, as well possibly patching up HP to reactivate Sturdy.
  • With the set that you're running on Conkeldurr, I would recommend replacing Thunder Punch and Fire Punch with Mach Punch and Knock Off, respectively. While the elemental punches do provide you with more coverage, Mach Punch is important to give you a priority move that can take out weakened threats while Knock Off lets you hit Ghost and Psychic types with super-effective damage.
  • If you are having an issue with Heatran succumbing to Earthquake, you can give it an Air Balloon instead of Life Orb. In addition, since you want more power over speed, I would recommend using a spread of 56 HP / 252 SpA / 200 Spe with a Modest nature. This spread lowers the amount of damage done by hazards to Heatran, while giving it some bulk to tank several hits. Although you can run a 12 HP / 252 SpA / 244 Spe to outspeed many threats, the former spread can allow you to tank hits somewhat better. Check out the following calcs:
    [*]252+ Atk Technician Breloom Mach Punch vs. 56 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 206-246 (61.1 - 72.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

[*]252+ Atk Conkeldurr Drain Punch vs. 56 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 270-320 (80.1 - 94.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

[*]232 SpA Gardevoir Focus Blast vs. 56 HP / 0 SpD Heatran: 238-282 (70.6 - 83.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

As you can see, the bulk can be appreciated under certain circumstances. A final suggestion about Heatran that I would recommend is running Hidden Power Ice over Dragon Pulse. HP Ice can let you hit Dragons super-effectively while also nailing Pokemon like Gliscor and Landorus-T hard. You can also run Ancient Power to hit Pokemon like Talonflame and Taunt to stop Clefable and other set-up Pokemon, but you should probably run HP Ice to hit the aforementioned Pokemon.
  • As for the special attacker issue, I would possibly recommend using Chansey over Heatran (as you noted, Heatran has many counters). The reason I say Chansey is because it is only weak to Fighting, and most other special walls add on a 3rd or 4th weakness to a certain type on your team. Maybe try a set like this:
    Chansey @ Eviolite
    Ability: Natural Cure
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
    Bold Nature
    - Soft-Boiled
    - Heal Bell
    - Thunder Wave
    - Seismic Toss
Keep in mind these are only suggestions, you don't have to use them all. Hope I helped!
Good luck on your team! =)

Thanks for the detailed and helpful reply! There's a lot I didn't realize I could pull off! I'll switch Toxic Spikes with Volt Switch, that's a really good idea. I'd love to use a Leftovers on him, but thanks to the Item Clause, my Rotom and Forretress can't both hold Leftovers. I also didn't realize I could run knock off on Conkeldurr! I'll definitely switch fire punch for that, and I'll switch thunder punch for mach punch. I didn't realize until now that I have no priority moves on my team. However, what about switching Heatran with Clefable? I could run:

Clefable Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 SpA/ 96 Hp/ 160 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Flamethrower

on her. It would kind of counter sylveon, as when she attempts to stall I could just use calm mind and attempt a sweep. She's also fairly bulky and can take quite a bit.

However, what about switching Heatran with Clefable? I could run:
Clefable @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 SpA/ 96 Hp/ 160 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Flamethrower
on her. It would kind of counter sylveon, as when she attempts to stall I could just use calm mind and attempt a sweep. She's also fairly bulky and can take quite a bit.
Clefable would probably work better than Chansey, but I would probably use a 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD because you have Calm Mind to boost your Special Attack and Special Defense, and this would allow Clefable to work as a mixed wall to counter both specially-oriented and physically-oriented Pokemon.
Also, as a side note, make sure all of you specially-oriented Pokemon have 0 IVs in Attack. This reduces damage from confusion and moves like Foul Play. The Pokemon affected are: Forretress, Rotom-W, and Heatran/Clefable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)