Non-Pokébank OU RMT *Technically* OU?

This is a Pre-Pokebank team I've been working on since I beat the game. A little ironic, since it started with Sleep Powder/Quiver Dance Butterfree and I ended up dumping that but keeping some other things. A little bit of research here and there, a bit of nudging moveslots around, and here I am:

Lycanroc/Dragonite/Magnezone/Azumarill/Togekiss/Miltank

Lycanroc @ Focus Sash
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 252 Spe / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Jolly Nature
Stealth Rock | Accelerock | Rock Slide | Roar

Okay, I know this looks like trash. But fast Stealth Rock users are few and far between in pre-pokebank and Lycanroc has actually been overperforming in the Link Battles I've been doing. Turns out Accelerock can dish out quite a bit of damage off of 115 base Attack. I think Roar should probably be Taunt, but I haven't had a chance to use Roar yet and it might provide decent utility in the right situation. Obviously gonna be replaced by Aerodactyl after it can learn Stealth Rock, but since I don't have a Gen 6 game that's not an option without friendly trades.

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Spe / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
Outrage | Roost | Fire Punch | Dragon Dance

Obviously not much to say about this. I guess what I'm wondering most is if the item choice is suitable here. I like having Roost on Dragonite because you can potentially bait out a Z-Move by reactivating Multiscale. Dragonite was also one of the original members of my team, and he managed to stay through all the planning. Extremespeed isn't an option here, either, so I have 252 Speed EVs in favor of a bulkier build, which might be another option I'm overlooking. Fire Punch is just easily the best coverage option.

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 Def / 252 SpA / 4 HP
Modest Nature
Hidden Power [Fire] | Volt Switch | Thunderbolt | Flash Cannon

Magnezone's story is cool. I was noticing weaknesses in my core, and I was browsing for some good Pokemon to round out my team. Enter Magnezone, bane of tanky Outrage-resisters. If there's anything that can stop Dragonite's sweep, this thing promptly comes in and takes care of it. As an added bonus, it can take a hit and OHKO's anything that it has coverage against. I was having trouble getting the HP Fire, but a smogon user was able to help me out. He provides good additional coverage and resistances to round out my team, and while he may sometimes not be relevant, he's always going to be a solid role player as long as my team is set up around the sweep.

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 8 SpD / 252 Atk / 4 Spe / 4 Def / 240 HP
Adamant Nature
Superpower | Aqua Jet | Belly Drum | Play Rough

Azumarill was also an early addition to my team. I just can't resist cute bunnies or something. I know the EV spread looks really weird, but you put 4 in to outspeed other base 60's, and you put 8 in SpD to make Download raise Attack, and the rest in HP to stay even to trigger the Sitrus Berry. I've had some pretty easy games just from getting a free Belly Drum and spamming Play Rough, so I don't think this Azu needs much work.

Togekiss @ King's Rock
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248? SpD / 68? Spe / 194? SpD
Bold Nature
Roost | Air Slash | Nasty Plot | Thunder Wave

Help?? Togekiss has a lot of potential, but I'm at a loss here. Timid Nature? Fast? Tanky? Do I even need Togekiss on my team? It can get some easy KO's against otherwise difficult Pokemon like Exeggutor, but how often does that come up? She definitely needs some work. Also, the EV spread is making me cringe inwardly because I wanted a bulky pivot to gain momentum, but she ended up being outsped by a lot of the stuff I was sending her in against.

Miltank @ Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spe / 4 Atk
Jolly Nature
Milk Drink | Heal Bell | Body Slam | Rock Tomb

I haven't needed Miltank yet, but it's there as a bulky cleric in case my sweepers get shut down with burn or paralysis. Quick switch in to Miltank, Heal Bell, Milk Drink it back up, maybe Body Slam some fools to spread Paralysis. I guess Rock Slide is either a tutor move or an egg move because I found that I couldn't teach it Rock Slide in-game. Miltank is pretty much the best Heal Bell user in Sun and Moon, so I decided to give it a chance. It needs Scrappy>Sap Sipper IMO, but since I haven't tested it yet (and since I haven't actually bred one with Scrappy yet... does that make me lucky or unlucky?) but I think Miltank provides a lot of utility to my team and gives my sweepers a second chance to set up.

I learned a lot from building this team, as this is technically my forage into competitive battling. I started with the sweepers and built a team synergized around giving them the best chance to sweep with Stealth Rock and Heal Bell support. Togekiss needs a lot of work and maybe even has a better replacement, although flinch hax is pretty fun. My item choices could also use some work. I don't want repeats since double items sometimes aren't allowed, but that's not an excuse.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)