XY OU Rise of the Land Genie

Hello everyone! This is my first RMT of the ORAS generation, and I'd appreciate any feed back!

Introduction
This team was built around Landorus-Incarnate. Lando-I was one of the premiere sweepers back in BW2OU, and I'm thrilled that I can use it again now that it is no longer Uber in this metagame. Building outwards from Lando was difficult as I first needed to base it off of a core. This is where Keldeo & Mega Metagross came in, as it helped me create an offensive core that synergized well with the rest of my team. From there I built outwards to provide hazards (Garchomp), a pivot (Rotom-W), and a late game clean up (Bisharp)

In Depth Analysis
Hector is the star of the team. Life Orb + Sheer Force is nothing to laugh about coming off of Hector's base SpA. I originally wanted to use a Sub+3 attack moveset because of the chance to not be revenge killed, but I opted to go with an all out attacker instead. Earth Power, Focus Blast, and Psychic round out his coverage allowing me to hit a plethora of pokemon for effective damage. Having the ability to pivot on incoming Lati's, and Chansey is valuable as it lets me have the opportunity to let other pokemon set up.

Eliwood builds outwards from Hector, covering his Ice and Water weaknesses, as well as taking care of a lot of pokemon that threaten Hector. While this is a fairly standard set, I've been conflicted as to whether or not I want to change it to a scarf or specs set, as I find myself rarely having the opportunity to actually set up. Granted it might just be that I'm not playing properly... Anyway, SubCM lets me wreck Chansey, and break through Skarm+Bliss.

Sain works with Hector and Eliwood to round out my main offensive core. Mainly, Sain is here to take out Lati@s. This originally was a 4 attack moveset, but I opted to switch with Agiligross since I didn't dual stab useful. Agility now lets me tank hits more efficiently, and run an Adamant nature. I went with Iron Head over Meteor Mash basically since I figure the accuracy and 30% flinch chance is worth more to me than the 10+BP and 20%(?) attack boost.

From here on out are my more controversial picks for the team. Serra acts as a defensive pivot. Originally a Raikou, turned Zapdos, turned Skarmory, turned Rotom-W, Serra is my main response to Talonflame and bird spam. Pretty standard set really. Volt Switch works pretty nicely with Hector when I want to maintain offensive pressure, and always provides great switch-ins to my teammates. WoW to spread burn status, and Pain Split round out Serra's moveset.

Oswin is another slot that's changed a lot on this team. Oswin's main role is to get rocks up, and then take out as much stuff as possible. Originally I tried the tank set, but I found that I wasn't getting the highest utility from using DragonTail. Oswin and Serra are what I personally feel the weakest links of the team. Anyway so the strategy is simple. Once rocks are up, I find an opportunity to set up Swords Dance and take out as much as I can with Earthquake or Outrage. Being locked into Outrage isn't very fun so I do have to play cautiously and try to save it for late game scenarios.

Lyndis was a late addition to my team. Originally this was a defensive pokemon (Amoonguss), but I decided I needed something with priority to help revenge kill. I like being able to set up with Swords Dance, but I feel like Substitute has some merit instead, so that people aren't trying to mess around with Sucker Punch. Knock Off is great as well, letting me hit off items which make it easier for other pokemon on my team to sweep.

Conclusion & Importables

This team does have a few flaws, mainly the fact that I'm not really sold on the last 3 pokemon. I would appreciate any input you guys have to help with my team. Please feel free to test it out for yourselves, an importable is included below. Cheers!

Hector (Landorus) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast
- Psychic
- U-turn

Eliwood (Keldeo) @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Secret Sword

Sain (Metagross) @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 176 HP / 252 Atk / 80 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Agility
- Ice Punch

Serra (Rotom-Wash) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Oswin (Garchomp) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Swords Dance

Lyndis (Bisharp) @ Dread Plate
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch

Interesting team, mate! I've been working with MegaGross and Keldeo as a core for a long time, and still have to build a satistfying team. I do like your idea of pairing them up with Landorus, as they get near-perfect type synergy. However, Greninja is a BIG threat to your whole team (really, what team is prepared for it? I'll run a Digimon Porygon 2 from now on). A possible way of getting around it is using your own Greninja: I would slap it into your team in Bisharp's place. I use this set:

Dendryte (Greninja) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam / Gunk Shot / Low Kick
- Dark Pulse
- Hidden Power [Grass]

You do lose priority (even though Sucker Punch is a bit unreliable) but you gain speed and you punch holes. The stab HP Grass is nice as it enables you to pwn opposing Greninja and Rotom-W, as well as hitting Keldeo hard. Moreover, on MegaGross, if you decide to run AgiliGross then you should use Hammer Arm (hits Greninja, Bisharp, Tyranitar and FERROTHORN), otherwise you might consider a change to an all-out attacker set:

Overlord (Metagross) @ Metagrossite
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake

Since 110 base Speed is not bad at all, I like this set as it provides more coverage than AgiliGross and is walled by fewer things.
I'm rather new at rating teams, so try my suggestions before making radical changes to your team.
Hope I helped ^^

Last edited:
HydrADE
i'll give Greninja a test, but I'm really like Agiligross so i'll stick with that. Is there a reason why i should be running HP Grass though? I can handle most of those threats you mentioned earlier pretty well

HydrADE
i'll give Greninja a test, but I'm really like Agiligross so i'll stick with that. Is there a reason why i should be running HP Grass though? I can handle most of those threats you mentioned earlier pretty well
Well, I originally had Bisharp in Greninja's place too but I feel Greninja does just a better job. I went with HP Grass because my team needed it and, using it, I felt it was a great move as it weakens many would-be switch-ins. I do recognize it's very situatonal but I felt comfortable with it so :) Anyway Greninja is easily the most customizable Mon in the entire OU tier, so that's just my set of preference ^^ you can use one with the moves you need! You can try HP Fire to hit Ferro harder, or go with any coverage move. Hope I helped :3

Last edited:
Are the 4 Attack points on Hector necessary when you're running not only a Timid nature but the only physical move he's using is U-Turn? Those EVs could go in to either defenses, imo.

Oh, right. You should either change Hector to a Naive nature (tanking priority is better than tanking special hits imho) or move the 4 EVs elsewhere as Vengeance417 pointed out!

Oh, right. You should either change Hector to a Naive nature (tanking priority is better than tanking special hits imho) or move the 4 EVs elsewhere as Vengeance417 pointed out!
Honestly, it's better to run Timid and have those 4 EVs put into either defense than sacrifice bulk. U-Turn on Landorus-Incarnate is really only used for the utility of it, kind of like how Forretress and Cobalion in the lower tiers use Volt Switch. It's not meant to do massive amounts of damage. It's there for momentum purposes.

I really liked how the team is built but It loses to set up sweepers like dragonite for exa as it sets up on rotom,keldeo,bisharp and landorus. If you are running keldeo with lefties i'd run taunt to prevent set up since you dont have prankster twave. Garchomp should also be lum to beat breloom since it puts everyone to sleep on your team and has a fun time. Sorry that i cant put the sets but keep chomp the same with lum and choiced scarf/specs keld as an option to beat ninja and revenge kill mega gyarados. If you chose taunt than it should just be scald/secretsword/taunt and icy wind. Thats all i would change on the team besides that I really like the framework of it. Oh and dragonclaw on chomp so you dont get setup on and Id put thundurus over landorus since you lose to mega slowbro and it could be your taunt mon the set should be Running life orb taunt thunderbol hp ice and twave a nice mon to prevent set up sweepers.

After further testing I conclude it do is a really solid team, able to deal with many playstyles, but it mainly has two flaws: the general lack of speed (if Gross does not set up)and the huge weakness to Breloom. In my opinion Garchomp is by far the weakest link of the chain, as it is often death fodder and cannot do much being outpaced by many other mons. You should either change set (maybe Fire Blast > Swords Dance) or choose a different mon. Greninja fits the bill rather well with HP Fire as few Ferros switch away with the opportunity to set stealth rocks. Your choice between Dark Pulse or Gunk Shot for coverage :pimp:. Finally, consider running Zen Headbutt > Earthquake as lots of times I've found myself against say, a Conkeldurr, wihing I could OHKO, or deal the last 40% damage to a Rotom-W. Rock, Steel and Fire types are covered VERY well by the rest of the team. Overall great team, I really enjoyed my test matches with it.

TO SUMMARIZE:

Sain (Metagross) @ Metagrossite
EVs: 176 HP / 252 Atk / 80 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Zen Headbutt
- Agility
- Ice Punch / Hammer Arm

Oswin (Garchomp) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Fire Blast

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 40 Atk / 216 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Dark Pulse / Gunk Shot

Last edited:
Little update: I got to 1600 ELO with a tweaked version of the team, if you want I can send you the importable or some replays :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)