Riolu - OU Copycat 'Sweeper'

Aside from PP stalling, Protect wouldn't really be that bad for it, would it? Protect would go first, then Roar second, so it can be copycatted again the next turn (or does it need to succeed to work?)
Anything over +2 Priority will break the Copycat chain, forcing Riolu to take a hit if it wants to use Copycat Roar again. Anything that outpriorities Riolu will do this, in fact.

Of course, you can just use Roar if you think they're going to Protect, which is getting into prediction mindgames.

Katakiri

Listen, Brendan...
is a Researcher Alumnus
So it looks like everything is viable except for Farfetch'd now.

Oddish is bulkier than Vileplume
Trapinch is actually a decent anti-weather Pokemon
Chansey exists
Flareon is almost a thing
And now Riolu is a bigger jerk than Lucario.

5th Gen is ridic.

Chansey was the premier special wall in Gen IV UU.

Well, it actually gives you a really good reason to use Porygon2, Dusclops, etc.

Aside from PP stalling, Protect wouldn't really be that bad for it, would it? Protect would go first, then Roar second, so it can be copycatted again the next turn (or does it need to succeed to work?)
I think what happens is that Protect goes first, Copycat goes second and copies Protect. Then Roar needs to be used by hand rather than copied, meaning you aren't speedshuffling any more, and the opponent gets a hit in.

breh

強いだね
So it looks like everything is viable except for Farfetch'd now.

Oddish is bulkier than Vileplume
Trapinch is actually a decent anti-weather Pokemon
Chansey exists
Flareon is almost a thing
And now Riolu is a bigger jerk than Lucario.

5th Gen is ridic.
Vileplume is still better (Aromatherapy), Trapinch is really, really bad, chansey has been good since ever, Flareon is still bad, and Riolu... well, you're probably correct on that one, lol

Once this is released, it'll be fun in the BT BS.

I know the threads about OU but it almost seems like this could be more viable in ubers given the the often groudon and kyorge it seems lime sand would be much less of a problem. This coupled with the fewer priority users only Rayquaza and Extreme Killer Arceus I can think of off the top of my head. So it seems like Riolu could be more effective in ubers but I haven't played ubers in a few months so idk if it would still be viable there.

polop

Would you look at the time?
is a Contributor Alumnus
In ubers extremespeed arceus kills riolu and laughs at it but if riolu has giratuna support it could work (fear of wow from physically defensive variants) This could work as a staple on stall teams if priority isn't seen in the preview though.

Yeah, in Ubers, it has more of a problem from ExtremeSpeed Arceus and Rayquaza. Not to mention that Rapid Spinning is harder, due to Giratina acting as a much better/bulkier spinblocker than anything in OU.

Blightbringer

Banned deucer.
Poison Heal Gliscor also annoys this strategy since it just regains all the health it loses when it's switched in. Also, TM13, Mamoswine 2HKOs any Jellicent and Dugtrio has pathetic attack. Its Stone Edge won't hurt anything that actually has respectable defenses.

breh

強いだね
In ubers extremespeed arceus kills riolu and laughs at it but if riolu has giratuna support it could work (fear of wow from physically defensive variants) This could work as a staple on stall teams if priority isn't seen in the preview though.
using riolu in Ubers is a bad idea for the very reason you mentioned.

you always need to switch against anything with priority moves; whenver you switch, you reset the one turn of setup (I.E. that one turn where you take a hit while using roar) and riolu certainly cannot take repeated abuse from pokemon that have attack stats upward of base 120.

Still wont work on PO. It only works for one turn then copycat tries to copy copycat and fails. But it does work on wifi so thats decent.

By itself, Riolu's speed can only be 360 when choiced. Outspeeds Mamoswine and Scizor and the likes, but obviously you're choiced so that's dumb.

In which case, there's always Baton Pass - an inherently weak pokemon like Riolu appreciates this anyway, and passing a combination of Agility and Iron Defense or something would work fine, since most actual priority is only damaging physically.

I think it's also worth mentioning that it really doesn't matter which pokemon aren't affected by Roar+Hazards in itself. Riolu's job in most circumstances shouldn't be to destroy the opponent's team, but simply chip away as much as possible for another pokemon to come in and finish the job. Something like Spiritomb with HP Ice on the side, if you need a specific pokemon.

Woodchuck

actual cannibal
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Riolu's best place is probably UU. The spinners there are less viable, the pokemon hit less hard, Hitmontop isn't that fast, and Tyranitar isn't running amok everywhere. Also, no Reuniclus.
But this is all irrelevant unless Copycat works properly on PO.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Riolu's best place is probably UU. The spinners there are less viable, the pokemon hit less hard, Hitmontop isn't that fast, and Tyranitar isn't running amok everywhere. Also, no Reuniclus.
But this is all irrelevant unless Copycat works properly on PO.
Then again, there's a shitload more Abomasnow down there.

Just want to make sure we are all on the same page. 97.6% of teams have a priority move on them (mostly bullet punch) So this isn't actually competitively viable. So as long as everyone knows that this set is just for fun and not serious I think we can all be friends here ^_^

Just want to make sure we are all on the same page. 97.6% of teams have a priority move on them (mostly bullet punch) So this isn't actually competitively viable. So as long as everyone knows that this set is just for fun and not serious I think we can all be friends here ^_^
Riolu outspeeds Conkeldurr, Scizor, and Azumarill.

Teams maybe, but not pokemon - team preview is there for reason. Even if you can't escape the perils of priority, that doesn't mean it completely shuts down Riolu. If you suspect a priority move... just use plain Roar, the priority user gets phazed out and you can begin the chain again. Of course that means Riolu has to take a hit, but that doesn't mean he can't.

284hp is measly, of course, but his Defense can alleviate that somewhat. Plus Riolu gets Iron Defense with priority.
With Eviolite, it's 294
With Iron Defense, it's 392
With both, it's 588

You're no Shuckle but you still take a few hits. Priority is mostly physical, and 174 Special Defense means you should be able to handle at least vacuum wave. The real problem is going to be priority taunt and priority status, not attacking moves.

Name: Assist-lite
Riolu (M) @ Eviolite Trait: Prankster
EVs: 200 HP / 200 Def / 108 Spd (271 hp, 273 Def Eviolite, 546 w/ Iron Defense
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Copycat
- Roar
- Agility
- Iron Defense

Ultra-gimmicky, but it illustrates the point. If anything is stupid enough to give you the three turns to set this one up, only Extremespeed, Sucker Punch, Fake Out, Quick Attack and Ice Shard can catch up with you. It outspeeds max speed Whimsicott, the fastest Prankster. At this point, the only thing getting in your way is unlucky crits, Magic Coat, Suction Cups, Soundproof, and Magic Bounce, and as far as I know, Roar doesn't activate Red Card. And if you see Xatu and Espeon on your opponent's team, you should be making a point of luring them out. You can continue this for at least 32 turns, too.

Better yet, and more viably, have something like Scizor or Gorebyss BP Iron Defense + Agility to this Riolu, and you keep its two extra moveslots open for Circle Throw, Death Gambit, Substitute, or moves that Prankster can make nice use of. You may even be able to forego Eviolite for Leftovers. In this case, Rain might be a great thing to have on your team too, as a way of removing sand and providing support for Gory and Scizor.

To me, this actually takes only a small bit of effort for a massive payoff, assuming you're fitting it into an overall scheme of a hazards team, so "just a bit of fun" seems a bit shortsighted. Give it three turns, two of which it doesn't even need to be on the field for, and it could purge a team, leaving you to mop up Reuniclus or Gliscor.

I mean, hell, Jibaku and I were talking about this days after we figured out what the hell Mischievous Heart did in the Japanese version of the game, but who cares? No one gets credits for a set; they're communal and nothing more. Someone else made the thread before you, deal with it!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)