National Dex Rillaboom Grass Spam National Dex

Rillaboom Grassy Terrain Spam

https://pokepast.es/609241e4d6293ed8

Introduction:

Hello, this is my first rmt and post on the smogon forums, so I apologize in advance if this seems dry or boring to read through. I have been playing the national dex ladder for a couple of weeks now. However, I have never created my own team before, or at least one that I believed had potential. Rillaboom was one of my favorite pokemon to come out of the new generation, and when I found it out had received grassy terrain as an HA, I just had to build a team based on that. I figured I would drop the team I made based on that idea in mind here so I could receive improvements from people who know more about team building and the national dex metagame. Without further ado here is the team:

Team Breakdown:

Rillaboom @ Choice Band
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Grassy Glide
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Wood Hammer

Rillaboom was the first pokemon I chose for this team as well as the heart of the team. Rillaboom sets grassy terrain as well as breaking holes in opposing teams. Grassy Glide is an obvious choice due to providing priority for the boom when terrain is up as well as just being obnixously spammable. Knock off is for opposing walls that switch in such as corv and such. U turn provides momentum for the rest of the team as well as allowing rillaboom to flee safely. Wood hammer is a nuke that just kills everything that doesn't resist it.

Heatran @ Grassium Z
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Solar Beam
- Stealth Rock

The next mon on the team was heatran specifically offensive. Heatran provides much-needed fire immunity as well as being a rocker for the team. Its ability to trap and threaten steel types makes it invaluable. Grassium Z is run due to its ability to trap and eliminate the pex as well as slowbro as well as its just general synergy with the active terrain. Heatran is a big appreciator of the terrain nerfs incoming ground type moves. The nerf, however is still not enough for heatran to survive a quake from a landorus and such.

Zapdos @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Static
EVs: 248 HP / 188 Def / 72 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Heat Wave
- Roost
- Defog

Zapdos is the third pick for the team. Its ability to switch in and threaten physical attackers and would-be sweepers with static makes it an excellent wall it also provides much-needed momentum to get the rest of the team members in with volt switch. Heat wave is run to threaten steel types and grass types. Roost allows it to keep up its survivability throughout the match and defog allows it to clear hazards.

Kartana @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off
- Sacred Sword
- Smart Strike

Kartana is an excellent abuser of the terrain, making it the team's best sweeper/revenge killer. Leaf blade and knock off are karts most spammable moves leaf blade, in particular, is incredibly dangerous to switch into under terrain. Kartana should be conserved for late to mid-game once all its resists and threats have been removed. Choice Scarf is run so it can give the team some extra speed control with beast boost allowing it to quickly snowball into a dangerous sweeper.

Slowbro @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Future Sight
- Teleport
- Slack Off

Slowbro is a secondary wall, as well as water and fire resist the team. Regenerator allows this thing to survive throughout the match, making it incredibly annoying for opponents to deal with. Future sight allows slowbro to put more pressure on opposing teams. Teleport gives slowbro a way to conserve and gain momentum as well as providing an easy way to bring in the team's breakers and sweepers. Slack off provides recovery, and scald allows it to spam and fish for burns.

Heracross @ Heracronite
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Rock Blast
- Bullet Seed

Heracross is my mega of choice, being an excellent stall/wall breaker with its sky-high attack. Bullet seed is run due to becoming a sort of pseudo-stab move under terrain as well as being one of the only ways to 2hko unaware clef on the team besides kart. Heracross has a surprising amount of bulk and can tank some hits while dealing a ton of damage back. I recommend using the volt/u-turn/teleport core of slowbro rillaboom and zapdos to get this beast in safely so it can break some stuff.

Threat List

This team is far from perfect and has a few glaring weaknesses, the biggest of which are:

Tapu Lele: Specs lele in particular, is a ginormous threat to the team, getting in freely on a lot of pokemon as well as resetting terrain. The only reliable switch into this mon is slowbro and while it is quite rare on the ladder, it is still hard to play around.

Charizard Y/sun teams in general: Charizard Y is a massive threat being virtually unwallable forcing out heatran and slowbro with scorching sands and solar beam, respectively. It is easy to pressure, however, with stealth rocks, making it risky for opponents to switch in with zard. Notably zapdos can live a flamethrower from full health and force out zard with volt switch.

Regieleki/Tapu koko/any electric pokemon: Electric types can basically click t bolt for free on this team, with the only switch in being rillaboom who doesn't like to take hits in the first place.

Flying types Zapdos in particular: Flying types, in general, can wall a lot of the team zapdos, in particular, being a big menace with static and heatwave. Heracross can force a lot of them out with rock blast. However, nothing else besides my own zapdos is a big threat to them in particular.

Conclusion:

This team is fun to use, and it has given me some success on the ladder, allowing me to reach 1500(before I started tilting). While it is fun, it still needs a lot of improvement as I am a rookie to team building still, and I would love feedback from more experienced players.

Thank you for reading, and once again, I apologize for how bad my writing is.

i dont think grassium Z works well on heatran since you already have a grass spam core, grasstran is mostly used to lure water types for teams weak to water.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)