Research Week #3 - Shelmet, Lopunny, Cradily, Relicanth

Status
Not open for further replies.
well sub>earth power could likely remedy revenge-killing issues, and it really wouldn't be missed all that much due to the lack of steels i the tier (in theory, of course, i'd have to do some testing).

i'm still in the position that i think that though shelmet is somewhat unimpressive in certain aspects, he's by no means a "bad pokemon". more so, i could usually keep him in play and not set-up-baity throughout the majority of a match. pokes like quag turned most issues regarding shelmet's set-up-baitiness down a peg (the only poke that could really set up adequately between the two is subcm serp, in my past experiences). plus shelmet prevents cb sawk and stuff from just powering through quag, which is always just a pain. i was just using this set for some time:

Shelmet (M) @ Eviolite
Trait: Hydration
EVs: 252 HP / 228 Def / 28 SAtk
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Spikes
- Recover
- Bug Buzz
- Yawn / Body Slam / Toxic

QD pass Masquerain would make a nice team mate to Cradily. As said before, suction cups stops an phazing, and he would love that SpD boost to go along with the Spe and SpA. Masq also has a 4x fighting resist, which is nice, but it DOES share an ice-weakness. But seeing as most ice-attacks are Special, cradily can shake it off thanks to the boost. I may give that a try actually.

I've found that CB Relicanth is the most effective Relicanth in my experience. I'm sure that Rock Polish is a great late-game sweeper but I never seem to get a chance to boost. Anyways, Banded Head Smash lays waste to a good chunk of the tier, and Waterfall cleans up pretty much everything else (I think). Not to mention that it has pretty good synergy with Shelmet who can set up the wonderful Spikes that help Relicanth muscle past it's counters.

mael

not the same but equal
is a Community Contributorwon the 14th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Past SPL Champion
UUPL Champion

Shelmet

I've used Shelmet quite a lot even when Nu wasn't an official tier and I must say its quite underwhelming. While it does have some phyisical bulk it can't do much more than stand there and lay spikes. But thats not a problem since spikes are always usefull. It's just that shelmet is upset fodder for nearly anything with a sub that can prevent get toxic'd. Often the best thing Shelmet can do is to encore the set up sweeper. It may seem good in theorymon (at least it does to me) but its not half as good while playing.

Lopunny

I think this is by far the worst out of this 4 pokemon the best thing it can do is as mention'd a TrickSet. It's movepool isn't that bad but these Stats are just bad. And when I say bad I mean bad. It's seriously a pity that a Pokemon with such a great Movepool must have that shitty stats. Heal Bell, Agility or Work Up pass, circle throw, encore, thunder wave, healing wish and kinda every nessecary special attack and whatever you need. In theorymon it can do whatever you want but it just has not even close to enough bulk to be a good supporter and it's offense is as mentioned pityfull. 96 base special def isn't even that bad but the base 65 HP kinda annoy. I think I will try a special defensive supporter set, but I doubt its gonna work.

Cradily

Cradily is just too underestimated for me. It fits great in OU and kinda every other tiers as a special wall and everything with sand in it makes it even better but people just dont know whats good. While it can be a special wall with storm drain, that means just standing around It can also use a curse set with suction cups. Which set is better depends on what you want although they kinda check the same Pokemon and have the same counters. Even an ofensive LO storm drain set is possible but that's kinda outclassed by any other special sweeper with. It has Rock Polish and SD which can make a double boost set, but I'd rather use a Lum Berry bulky SD sweeper anyway. It's really underestimated and it doesn't get the probs I feel it deserves. You can even use Mirror Coat to troll. It's sets are often similar but they are all good and they all can be used in NU and often even in higher tiers. Use that guys come on.

Relicanth

Now for the coolest of all: Relicanth. As everybody else here said it has the ability, the movepool and the power to pull of a great CB set. CB Relicanth is kinda the most effective and I'd say the most common. LO or Air Balloon Rock Polish aren't that bad either. But I am wondering why nobody screamed: "Yeah!! CM Relicanth #1!!!" Seriously that set is by far the coolest and it catches so many people off-guard it's not even funny

Relicanth (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 HP / 208 SAtk / 48 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Surf
- Calm Mind
- Substitute
- Ice Beam

That's the set. It's simple. Enough to outspeed weezing and get behind a sub before the Wow and the others are put into special attack because it kinda needs the Power and with full HP it has enough bulk for setting up on physical attacker without SE moves like lets say Armaldo. I love that set it's adorable and its a #1 set since ADV NU.

Relicanth is also a sloid supporter with rocks, toxic and some random attacking moves. I've never tried a rain Dance set but I think that would be just underwhelming.

My thoughts on these Pokemon.
~temptation

shnen

שוני
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
seriously? subcm relicanth?
why would you EVER want to use that over other mons such as Gorebyss and even Simipour. Relicanth has abysmal Special Attack and bad speed. I am definitely NOT wondering why nobody screamed: "Yeah!! CM Relicanth #1!!!"
I suppose it could work as a lure for tangela, but CB Head Smash actually 2hkoes it iirc; and hits pretty much everything harder.
I am bewildered that you post that as a legit set and then say that a Rain Dance set is underwhelming when that is actually good. Even if you want to use a physically bulky water type with Calm Mind, Alomomola with Wish and better speed and better defense is out there, which I have used and it is terrible.

Thank you for having the creativity to think of this kind of set, to look out of the box, as well as trying to bring some more discussion to this thread, but I'm afraid I can't see it being too useful. If you've had successful results with it as you claimed though, then good for you, but ask yourself whether it's job would be done better by other Pokemon that I have mentioned in this post. Also the rest of your post was fairly solid at least.

I used Relicanth on a trick room team instead of opting to boost its speed, and I haven't had it do too much, actually.

Maybe i'll retry him soon

I used Relicanth on a trick room team instead of opting to boost its speed, and I haven't had it do too much, actually.

Maybe i'll retry him soon
Relicanth was really good on my Trick Room team. What set were you using, and what made it not "do too much"?

It can switch into quite a lot of stuff thanks to its great natural bulk and it can just spam Choice Band Head Smash'es and 2HKO nearly everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)