SM OU Reptilia

Reptilia

Welcome back to the third neomonster special, this time, not in NU (screw untiers pffff). Really, I didn't plan to post another one of these till I hit another milestone but this has been such an enjoyable team, for a tier I'm not known to play, that I decided it's time to whip up one!

Teambuilding Process

I asked the Den guys what to build around and youtube star mr. dokkerich suggested CB Bulu. An obvious partner for bulu was zone. a) you get rid of steela b) u can run edge + megahorn on bulu c) z zone traps mawile decently well and fuck mawile

here I added choice scarf kartana, ticks a few boxes, a) speedcontrol b) generally enjoys grassy terrain and magnezones trapping ability so it was the perfect fit.

here we still need a tran answer and rocks, what better fit is there than gliscor

I generally don't enjoy getting boned by tspikes, and here we still need another water resist, just the perfect fit on here

rn non choiced kartana variants, or choiced ones that click the right move are annoying, i want another fire resist cause srsly screw tran, different zygarde variants look annoying + opens the door for twave support to paralyze megazam and potentially tapu lele if u like, really need to

In Depth

787.png
reptilia (Tapu Bulu) @ Choice Band
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 104 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech
- Megahorn
- Stone Edge

After the infamous CB Pex RMT that topped the ladder, there was a sudden wave of CB Bulu that inspired me to make this in the first place. Bulu acts as a few things for this team. It's the main stall countermeasure (especially in conjunction with Electrium Z Magnezone to trap Mega Aggrons with the potential help of Grassy Terrain to weaken Aggrons Earthquakes and damage it back heavily, often even killing it after a little chip). Nothing else really appreciates taking banded Wood Hammers or in Zapdos', Tangrowth's or Moltres' case, one of the coverage moves. It also gives the team a badly needed dark resist for the likes of AshGren and Hydreigon. It also realiably kills CM Variants of clefable (especially important with no haze toxapex). The Speed aims to outspeed paralyzed Mega Alakazams, which I find very important on this build. Overall CB Bulu is just an insane wallbreaker with crazy longevity thanks to Terrain and Horn Leech. Magnezone allows me to forego Superpower, which otherwise is badly needed for Ferrothorn and heavily denting Celesteela and gives me the option of running Megahorn to hit the likes of Assault Tangrowth and the Meta Latis for an OHKO.

462.png
under control (Magnezone) @ Electrium Z
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Substitute

Here comes half the reason Bulu puts in as much work as it does. I decided to opt for a Substitute set with Z to get around the whole Leech Seed + Protect Stall of Ferrothorn and Celesteela (which can sometimes trap Magnezone if it gets weakened). Sub also gives the option of outplaying Sucker Punch Mega Mawile and trapping/ OHKOing it in the process which is a wonderful perk in general. Electrium also dents Heatrans that try to revenge you if you end up with a sub after trapping something or try to Pivot into Flash Cannon. Magnezone also offers an important Flying resist for the team against the prominent Tornadus-T (though you should always be aware of the possibility of FIghtinium Z Tornadus, so be careful at team preview and try to scout for it if it's a possiblity). The EV Spread is very easy, just Max Max. I prefered the powerboost of Modest nature as opposed to what outspeeds Timid nature offers (which isnt anything relevant for Magnezone other than maybe the ability to not force a speedtie against paralyzed Mega Alakazam, but maths tells us that Zone has a favorable position in that Situation since Zam needs to Win the tie/Not get parad AND hit a focus blast, man pokemon really is a horrible game isnt it).

252+ SpA Magnezone Gigavolt Havoc (175 BP) vs. 40 HP / 0 SpD Mawile-Mega: 328-387 (130.6 - 154.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
(if Mawile for example, takes prior damage you can even cold out Thunderbolt it)
252+ SpA Magnezone Thunderbolt vs. 40 HP / 0 SpD Mawile-Mega: 169-199 (67.3 - 79.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Magnezone Gigavolt Havoc (175 BP) vs. 248 HP / 156 SpD Celesteela: 536-632 (135 - 159.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
(this enables you to not risk potential Earthquake Celesteela, which tbf is often identifyable at Team Preview, but it still helps from time to time, especially if the Z isnt necessary for anything else)

798.png

machu picchu (Kartana) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Smart Strike
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Defog/ Knock Off

I was never really sure what to do with Kartanas moveset exactly, though the first 3 moves are essentially required to not make it a shitmon. Knock Off helps with the MLati issue, which doesnt occur often since neither of them is used a whole lot and you can still use Pex to poison both of them and at least put them on the timer. Defog is nice in situations where Ferro or Aggron are the rocker and you successfully trap them with Zone, so you can get rid of the rocks for the rest of the game if you pilot precisely enough. Its also just a nice emergency Defog kinda option if you do get too pressured by AshGren Spikes or such. I also know I definetly dont want Defog on Latias so this was the easiest solution without screwing up the whole team. This, as I said in the intro, has wonderful synergy with Grassy Terrain + Zones Ability to trap the 2 most annoying Leaf Blade cockblocks. It also gives me speed control to revenge Lele and Zam for example.

472.png
you talk way too much (Gliscor) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 44 Def / 68 SpD / 152 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Roost

This is part of the defensive glue trio I tried to fit onto the team. Gliscor acts as one of the most reliable Heatran switch ins, especially with the help of Latias and Toxapex for certain Z sets. It also gives my team Stealth Rocks, which are mandatory on every viable team. Toxic helps it keep them up vs Tornadus sometimes, it also manages to toxic Landos, Bulus, Tangrowths and Lati twins switching in. 44 Defense EVs let Gliscor avoid getting KOed by Mega Mawile's Play Rough into Sucker Punch and the speed is for 252 Zyg and Timid Trans, while the Rest is pumped into spdef to help it switch into Heatran (snatched right from analysis).

748.png
you only live once (Toxapex) @ Payapa Berry
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Atk / 200 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Scald
- Toxic
- Recover

We do NOT lose to TSpikes out here. Also needed an additional water resist/ Gren switchin, Regen + Gliscor helps w the longevity in the Stall Matchup/ in the opposing Balance Matchup, which sometimes is very important. The Hidden Tech on this is Payapa Gunk Shot w 56 Attack, this spread always OHKOs Tapu Lele after Rocks damage. Payapa also gives you an opportunity to Burn Mega Medicham, which essentially neutralizes it as a threat to this team. Gunk Shot additionally nabs a KO on Tapu Bulu after Rocks. It's damage output is suprisingly high, so you can weaken some stuff too if need be, but I believe this very much contributes to the dynamic of the team.

380-mega.png
automatic stop (Latias-Mega) @ Latiasite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave
- Roost

Here comes my babe. The Yellow Color is very important to Para MegaZam. Ice Beam helps the Zygarde issue + is a good answer to every variation of Gliscor. It also revenges Kartana after Rocks. TBolt was chosen as the filler move because it helps pressure water types and it helps pressure Steela if you missplay with Zone, while hitting Heatran for neutral damage.

Threatlist

Latios-Mega: Depending on the Set it essentially kills everything on the team. I can Toxic it with Pex and kill it with Bulu but it's mostly just annoying.
Shift Gear Magearna: not him. Fairy Z Magearna weakness would be fixed with Haze Pex (which is definetly a viable option, also taking off the heavy Magnezone trapping Mega Scizor reliance, so you can give that a shot.

Tapu Lele/ Mega Alakazam: I definetly have good counterplay against it, but they can still end up annoying if Lele dodges a gunk for example.

under control (Magnezone) @ Electrium Z
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Substitute

machu picchu (Kartana) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Smart Strike
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Defog

reptilia (Tapu Bulu) @ Choice Band
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 104 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech
- Megahorn
- Stone Edge

you talk way too much (Gliscor) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 44 Def / 68 SpD / 152 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Roost

you only live once (Toxapex) @ Payapa Berry
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Atk / 200 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Scald
- Toxic
- Recover

automatic stop (Latias-Mega) @ Latiasite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave
- Roost

No badge gang so only Smogon's cutest wanna-be Asian Diophantine and Butterfree Carrier Husemannen will get Clout gifted.

Thank you for reading, I hope you enjoy the team!

I forgot to add a replay section for the fans!

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-825497092 - some french untour, here I easily outplay a Zard X Bulky Offense
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7ou-407339 - german teamtour vs zugubu royale, initially I look like I'm in a losing position but some aggressive kartana piloting pulls it back
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-825931773 - here I mash Mega Aggron Stall by trapping it with Zone and clicking buttons with bulu, in the end I almost get robbed but pull back

787.png462.png798.png472.png748.png380-mega.png

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)