ORAS Ubers Renegades - [GXE 83, peaked #31]

Hello users, Jirachirite here with my 3rd RMT. I want to share a reasonably successful Bulky Offense team featuring SkyMin, a Pokemon that is not commonly used but also a pretty underrated threat. I had quite a lot of fun building and playing with this team, modifying here and there to try to cover as many threats as possible and also have a good matchup against all playstyles. I had lost some good games, made some bad plays, lost to random shit that snowballs to more losses due to NaCl, but overall this team is good enough to get me a decent GXE of 82. Feedback of course is appreciated.

Proof of peak: http://imgur.com/cKBv7DR
Proof of peak after changes: http://imgur.com/K1L0vMp

Teambuilding

I started off with a Life Orb Skymin due to its decent wallbreaking capabilities and access to Healing Wish which can be handy in giving its teammates a second chance to sweep. Then comes the obligatory Primal Groudon and Arceus forme, which I choose to go with Waterceus due to its reliability as a Defogger as well as a Ho-oh + PDon check that could otherwise defeat Skymin. They also happen to form a nice FWG core which I don't know nor give a shit about lol.

I opted for LO Yveltal simply because I enjoy its sheer power and then added offensive Mega Diancie for its neat ability in keeping hazards away for Skymin to switch in safely. I then chose Shuca Dialga to be my SR setter so that PDon is able to fit Rock Polish in his last moveslot. PDon then becomes my primary win condition.

I don't really feel comfortable with the team, probably because the team has no form of reliable recovery, which is bad since this isn't a HO team. Geomancy Xerneas can wreck this team and the only 2 unreliable checks to it are RP PDon and Dialga. Waterceus is a little too passive as it can only run Ice Beam or Judgment. This team also struggles against stall-ish pokemon like Skarmory as none of my teammates could boost their attack to wallbreak. Hence, I switch to Support PDon to check Xerneas and replace Dialga with RestTalk Kyogre to somewhat check physical attackers like PDon and Rayquaza. I changed my Arceus forme to SD Groundceus as it is consistent and hence became my primary wincon.

I realised once again that my team has a glaring weakness to Ekiller and at first swapped Yveltal for Giratina-Origin
, a good mon with many resistances and able to check Ekiller while hitting hard at the same time due to Griseous Orb. However, a lack of recovery and a weakness to +2 Shadow Claw Ekiller makes Gira-O quite unreliable, hence I switched back to Yveltal with its defensive set this time. Its power shall be missed.

And this is the team in its current form.

OVERVIEW

Shaymin-Sky @ Life Orb
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Seed Flare
- Air Slash
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Healing Wish

Skymin sits in an interesting speed tier. It is able to outspeed notable threats, allowing it to serve as an emergency check to Darkrai and KO Ground/Rockceus and Mega Salamence with Seed Flare and HP Ice respectively. Seed Flare also deals considerable damage to PDon and POgre, and the *0.5 drop in SpDef is able to force switches too. Air Slash is the other obligatory STAB move, with a good 60% chance to flinch although Serene Grace hardly works for me lol. Its biggest plus is a speedy Healing Wish; whenever Skymin is no longer needed, it can provide support and give its teammates a second chance to fight or clean up. This is especially handy since mons like PDon and Mega Diancie have no means of reliable recovery.

Life Orb is chosen to give Skymin more power as it would otherwise be underwhelming. Earth Power could be run to hit Steels but I already have 2 Grounds so EP isn't essential. HP Rock could replace HP Ice if you find Ho-oh to be a bigger threat than the Dragons although I prefer HP Ice. IVs are optimised for lower LO recoil and Foul Play Damage.

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 248 HP / 164 SpD / 96 Spe
Careful Nature
- Precipice Blades
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Thunder Wave

PDon is used on almost every Ubers team, need I explain why? Anyway I opted for the support set since PDon is able to set up SR quite reliably with its bulk and spread yellow magic to speedy attackers and its checks like the Lati twins, Ho-oh, support Arceus. Do note that PDon is my primary check to Geomancy Xerneas so try to keep it as healthy as possible whenever there is a Xerneas on your opponent's team. Lava Plume to hit physically defensive mons better, spread burns, and roast Ferrothorn god dammit.

Careful nature to tank Moonblasts and POgre Ice Beams better, and I am running a lot of speed because fuck speed creep and the satisfaction of landing a PBlades on the opposing PDon first is great.

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 40 SpA / 76 SpD / 144 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Protect
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Earth Power

Honestly I prefer to just wreck mindlessly with Geomancy Xerneas but hey Mega Diancie deserves credit as well. Its ability is great in repelling entry hazards and is also the reason why most Deoxys run Skill Swap nowadays. I always lead with this against a potential Deoxys lead or any other obvious lead to have some insurance against entry hazards. Protect is always great for a safe Mega evolution and also to scout moves, Moonblast and Diamond Storm being obligatory STAB moves and Earth Power to fuck with Shuca Dialga and PDon who think they are good enough to force you out and set up their rocks hahaha. It works against the ever-so annoying Klefki too. Heal Bell can be clutch in curing those stupid status ailments as well but I just find Earth Power more useful overall. It is also my primary check to Darkrai so keep it healthy for Darkrai and fuck Dark Void.

Mega Diancie is meant to provide utility and hit hard enough but not super hard so the extra power isn't necessary. Max SpA also does not secure any notable KOs anyway. Maximised HP can be really useful to take hits better because its natural bulk is quite abysmal. Some speed given to make it fast enough against threats like Adamant Normal Salamence and mons with speed base 95, while the rest of the EVs dumped to SpA. Later I came across some Diancie EV spreads and I don't really know what 76 SpD EVs does but hey why not it looks promising anyway.

Minimal Attack is not that significant since Diamond Storm KOs most Ho-ohs anyway, and it is also good so that Mega Sableye's Foul Play won't wear it down so easily when I switch it into Mega Sableye every time.

Kyogre-Primal @ Blue Orb
Ability: Primordial Sea
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Spe
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Rest
- Sleep Talk / Roar

Primal Kyogre may not be able to check physical attackers as well as Waterceus but overall I find that POgre is able to glue my team pretty well together. It is able to check PDon quite well and it will do you good to lead with POrge against a potential opposing PDon lead to have the lead advantage since Primordial Sea will always activate second unless the opposing PDon has a Relaxed nature. Offensively it is no slouch either due to its gigantic 180 base SpA. Nobody likes to switch in to Scald for fear of being crippled with a Burn (i'm looking at you Ferrothorn) , while Ice Beam can KO the Dragons, and a Dragon Ascent unboosted will not guarantee a 2HKO on a fully defensive POgre. Rest to restore his health for longevity and also function as a status absorber, which means passive pokemon, notably Lugia won't be defeating this whale any time soon since it only runs Ice Beam. Sleep Talk to not give opponent any free turns but screw Sleep Talk because half the time it doesn't work for me, even less so if the weather is Desolate Land. Roar is slashed over Sleep Talk because Roar can be clutch in depriving Geomancy Xerneas of a sweep. This can be really useful because Xerneas always set up on POgre and POgre can do nothing back to it should POgre runs Sleep Talk. Roar also helps to ease the pressure off on PDon's shoulders.

Arceus-Ground @ Earth Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Recover

The designated win-condition. +2 STAB item-boosted Earthquake wrecks most pokemon hard and Stone Edge for flying mons. You could never go wrong with EdgeQuake. There are times where I wish I run ESpeed but Recover is good for longevity and also good for shitting on Mega Gengar trying to play mind games with Destiny Bond.

Set is pretty standard. A bulkier EV spread with Adamant nature works too but speed-tying with opposing Arceus and outspeeding Mega Lucario is more important in my opinion.

Yveltal @ Charti Berry
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 136 HP / 252 Def / 120 Spe
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- Sucker Punch
- Roost
- Taunt

I always love abusing the power of LO boosted Dark Pulse but unfortunately the defensive set is more important in this team to check Ekiller, which can be threatening otherwise. First 3 moves are standard, and I choose to run Taunt because Yveltal then can function quite neatly as a stallbreaker and also to Taunt those Xerneas who think they can set up freely on it, which is why I'm running so much speed to creep as many Xerneas as possible. Alternatively you can run Toxic or U-Turn over Taunt, but I find Taunt to provide more utility for this team overall. Charti Berry because Stone Edge is becoming more common nowadays, but Rocky Helmet is good against Mega Kangaskhan too.

Threatlists
Mewtwo / Mewtwo-Y are arguably one of the biggest threats to my team mainly because they outspeed my entire team and has a naturally high SpA base to boot. Yveltal can only switch in to a Psystrike but has to be wary of Ice Beam or Will-O-Wisp. As much as possible try to land a Sucker Punch to end their roll.
CM Arceus is also very threatening if it manages to set up. This is bad since my team has no phasers if POgre doesn't run Roar and even so it cannot switch in safely because my POgre is physically defensive. Thunder Wave doesn't help much since most CM Arceus run Refresh. Usually I may have to sack a mon to do as much damage as possible before revenge-killing it but if it gets a Recover it is pretty much gg.
Except for Primal Kyogre my team is unresisted to Ice, enabling Kyurem-W to dish out Ice Beams freely with little repercussions. I usually try to figure out its choice item, set up rocks ASAP and then play around with it carefully. It may sucks in the current meta but never underestimate it.
This thing is literally the nuke, all it does is blast Psycho Boost, and there are no safe switch-ins. Well, except Yveltal, but beware of Ice Beam.
At full health if it manages to set up and has Aromatherapy then is pretty much gg. You just have to give it little room for it to plough through the team.

Replays
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-289850912 Opponent rage-quit after a failed prediction XD
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-289842458 vs Offense
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-289148953 Roar saving the day :]
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-289147705 vs HO
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-288893479 Primal Kyogre taking the stage
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-288531833 vs Semi Stall brought by a top ladderer, one of my best battles thus far :]
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-288524877 vs Bulky Offense
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-288028183 vs high-ladder Offense
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-285777573 Groundceus carry literally the entire team despite my initial bad plays :]
Importable
Shaymin-Sky @ Life Orb
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Seed Flare
- Air Slash
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Healing Wish

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 248 HP / 164 SpD / 96 Spe
Careful Nature
- Precipice Blades
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Thunder Wave

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 40 SpA / 76 SpD / 144 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Protect
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Earth Power

Kyogre-Primal @ Blue Orb
Ability: Primordial Sea
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Spe
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Arceus-Ground @ Earth Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Recover

Yveltal @ Charti Berry
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 136 HP / 252 Def / 120 Spe
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- Sucker Punch
- Roost
- Taunt

Conclusion

So that's it! I had a great time playing with this team and hope that you guys enjoy this team as much as I do! Feedback for maximum optimisation is greatly appreciated. Till next time, see ya :)​

Last edited:

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hello. Your frustrations with this team seem to come from having sorta defensive mons alongside offensive mons that lack recovery, which is just kinda how bulky offense is. While this team is overall solid, it is somewhat weak against Xern, offensive P Ogre and ironically Shaymin-S. While the team certainly has counterplay measures, I can potentially see EKiller, Mega Mence, and possibly WoW CM Arc Ghost managing to break this team due to how you're forced to play against them and how close the margins are.

I think these problems come from the fact that you're using Shaymin-S on a BO team that runs a defensive core with mons that are a bit worse at mitigating damage than what's more traditionally used for BO teams. For example, your three mons with recovery are a SD Arc with no bulk invest, a Pokemon with Rest, and a Yveltal that kinda wants to be able to run other things; also note how they can't run Leftovers to help offset residual damage they way some defensive mons that fit on offense like Klefki can.

The way you can escape this sort of less consistent way of checking things is to either go full HO or incorporate more defensive mons / sets that are better at mitigating damage and thus more reliable at checking offensive threats in general. For this rate I'm going to assume you want the latter, but if you do want to explore the HO option then Shaymin-S / Mega Diancie / P Don / SD Arc Ghost is a good jumping point. As for building BO obviously a good starting point is trying to pick up the slack against things like Ho-Oh that Shaymin-S can struggle against. Going back to the starting point of Shaymin-S / Mega Diancie / Arceus Water / P Don can work out well, and would result in the fewest amount of changes. From here you'd want to retain Yveltal as the EKiller check and pickup Ho-Oh so that Xern (usually either Aroma or Ho-Oh coverage not both) and Shaymin-S is more secure, and so that between Yveltal and Ho-Oh, Arc Ghost struggles much more to get through. Mence is also much more secure because you add a far more bulky Arc that can usually OHKO and with Arc Ground gone it no longer has anything to really setup on in the first place. As for the sets I'd run Life Orb Ho-Oh, Ice Beam Defog Arc Water (you've got 2 mons that really need SR gone), and make your Yveltal a bit more bulky. As for the Mega Diancie spread I remember telling you what it does yesterday.

Summary:
Change Arc Ground to Arc Water with a set of Defog / Toxic / Recover / Ice Beam with 248 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe / Bold
Consider running more Speed on Arc Water
Change P Ogre to Life Orb Ho-Oh with a set of Thunder Wave / Earthquake / Sacred Fire / Brave Bird with 180 HP / 252 Atk / 76 Spe / Adamant
Consider Roost or Substitute over Thunder Wave on Ho-Oh
Consider dropping some Attack and Speed and running enough SpD for Xern Thunder, and possibly HP Rock if Xern is still an issue
Run Rock Slide over Lava Plume on P Don
Consider HP Rock or Earth Power over HP Ice on Shaymin-S depending on how opposing Ho-Oh / P Don / Steels are
Take most of the Speed creep off Yveltal and put it into HP so you're more secure against EKiller

That's just about everything, the HO option I've already throughly explored as I have a Skymin-S + Mega Diancie team, so if you're interested in that route you can talk to me on the sim. Good luck.

Edit: I was going to mention that you can also try building around Skymin / P Don / Arc Rock, but overall I think that would require more changes.

Last edited:
Thanks for the detailed rate, really appreciate it! Gonna miss Primal Kyogre seeing that he could be a potential Lugia counter but Ho-oh will be a great replacement to help the team deal with CM Arceus much better. Will update the team soon once I get to test out the changes if I have the time. Thanks once again :]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)