Relay Race - BW OU Baton Pass Team

Hi everyone! This is my first RMT, and one of my first few posts in the forum. I had decided that I wanted to make a new team, but I was struck with a problem: my teams always ended up the same, no matter what they were supposed to be. I've started off making weather teams, or stall teams, or any other kind of team, but they always ended up being the same: a hastily made team with a few of my favorite pokemon thrown on. I decided that I was going to try something new, and that it would not turn out the same as the rest. With that in mind, I decided to make a Baton Pass team!

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
| RELAY RACE |
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/​

Get it? Because a relay race is where you race and pass the baton, and... you know what, I'm just gonna get on with it and show you the team.

Team Building Process

Well, the first pokemon I chose was Smeargle. Since it can learn any move in the game, with the exception of Chatter, and with terrible stats in everything but Spd, Smeargle and Baton Passing go hand-in-hand.

Next up, I put Victini on the team, mainly to capitalize on Stored Power and V-create. In a Baton Pass team, these are the strongest moves you could get (barring suicide moves), and Victini gets STAB on both of them.

Reliable recovery? Magic Guard? 90% accurate burn? Yes please!

Espeon is a nice little psychic cat. It has wonderful SAtk, great Spd, and it even has Magic Bounce to boot! Even better, it has the strongest Stored Power in the entire metagame.

Ninjask, like Smeargle, has the right stats for a Baton Passer. I mainly used it to pass a Speed Boost or two to Smeargle so it could outrun faster opponents and put them to sleep.

To top off the team, I decided that I needed something that could make nice and bulky Substitutes. That's where Drifblim came in. There are probably other bulky Pokemon that can use Baton Pass, but do any of them learn Stockpile? No!

After a few test runs, it turned out that this team wasn't cutting it. It had four major weaknesses, namely Focus Sashes, Substitutes, Prankster users, and priority. If the enemy had a pokemon with any of these, my team would be shut down in an instant. I needed something to stop these.

The addition of these two pokemon helped a lot. Cloyster was just amazing. Having access to two 25 base power multi-hit moves and a priority attack helped crush several common counters. As for Whimsicott, well, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. Having a Prankster user of my own helped to counter other pokemon with Prankster, such as Tornadus and Sableye.

The Team

Ninjask (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Speed Boost
EVs: 100 HP / 156 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Protect
- Substitute
- X-Scissor
- Baton Pass

Ninjask is one of my three possible leads. As I said before, I use it to pass a Speed Boost to Smeargle so it can outspeed the opponent, if needed. The EVs in HP and Def are to allow it to survive a hit from Scizor's most commonly used attack, namely Bullet Punch. The Spd EVs and nature are fairly standard. I run Protect and Substitute mainly to stall for more Speed Boosts. X-Scissor is so Ninjask won't be complete stalled by Taunt.

Drifblim (M) @ White Herb
Trait: Aftermath
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Stockpile
- Shadow Ball
- Baton Pass

Next up is Drifblim. Oh, how I love your bulky Substitutes. The EVs and nature allow it to take more hits, whereas the White Herb removes the Def and SDef drops from when Smeargle passes its boosts over. Substitute and Stockpile allow it to pass its bulky Substitutes, and increase the defenses of the pokemon receiving the Baton Pass. Shadow Ball, as with Ninjask, is so that it won't be completely wrecked by Taunt, and so that it can kill off any threats early in the match.

Smeargle (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Own Tempo
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Ingrain
- Shell Smash
- Spore
- Baton Pass

Ah, Smeargle, how I love you so. What's not to like about learning every move there is? The EVs in Def and HP allow it to survive a hit from Scizor or Tyranitar without its Focus Sash breaking. The EVs in Spd are so it can Spore the slower leads that would otherwise set up entry hazards. Ingrain prevents Smeargle from being phazed out by Skarmory, and also give it some helpful recovery. Shell Smash is so that it can accumulate as many boosts at once as possible. Spore is 100% accurate sleep. Nothing else needs to be said about it.

Sigilyph (M) @ Flame Orb
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 164 Def / 252 SAtk / 92 SDef
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Stored Power
- Ice Beam
- Psycho Shift
- Roost

The special attacker of the team. I was considering using Espeon over Sigilyph, but I decided on the latter due to reliable recovery and immunity to hazards. The EVs allow it to take a decent amount of damage, and still hit like a truck. Stored Power is the main attack of the set. Best case scenario, which happens more often than not, Stored Power reaches a whopping 750 base power after STAB, even further boosted by Sigilyph's boosts to SAtk. Ice Beam is to hit Dark-types, which are immune to Stored Power. Psycho Shift burns the opponent, thanks to Flame Orb, and Roost is for recovery if needed.

Cloyster (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Skill Link
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast
- Razor Shell
- Ice Shard

Every team needs a physical attacker, and Cloyster fits this job perfectly, mainly thanks to Skill Link. The EVs help to strengthen its massively powerful Icicle Spears and Rock Blasts, and also let it outspeed slower pokemon. Icicle Spear and Rock Blast are the main moves here, both having 25 base power, and five hits, letting the moves get past Sturdy, Focus Sashes, and Substitutes. Razor Shell is the secondary STAB move. I only ever use it against Steel-types that resist Ice- and Rock-type moves. Ice Shard is to kill off other priority users that would otherwise kill Cloyster.

Whimsicott (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 96 HP / 160 SDef / 252 Spd
- Taunt
- Switcheroo
- Stun Spore
- U-turn

Last, but not least, is my dear little prankster. It holds a Choice Scarf so it can outspeed other Whimsicotts, which it can then use to lock them into a support move such as Leech Seed or Taunt. The EVs let it take at least one more hit before dying, and then run away as fast as it can. Taunt takes care of leads such as Ferrothorn and Forretress, while Switcheroo cripples other Whimsicotts. Stun Spore cripples faster pokemon, while U-turn aids in running away.

Major Threats
Names in bold are the greatest threats; names in italics are dangerous.
Weavile - Easily the biggest threat. Can easily kill Ninjask, Smeargle, Drifblim, Whimsicott, and Sigilyph.
Choice Specs Rotom-W - Can easily kill Drifblim, Ninjask, and Smeargle. Checked by Whimsicott
Choice Band Tyranitar - Can easily kill Drifblim, Ninjask, and Smeargle. Checked by Whimsicott.
Choice Scarf Whimsicott - Can cripple Drifblim, Ninjask, Smeargle, and Sigilyph. Choice Scarf checked by Whimsicott. Otherwise, countered by Whimsicott.
Choice Band / Life Orb Scizor - Can quickly kill Drifblim. Checked by Whimsicott. Countered by Cloyster.

Export from Pokemon-Online
Code:
Ninjask (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Speed Boost
EVs: 100 HP / 156 Def / 252 Spd
- Protect
- Substitute
- X-Scissor
- Baton Pass

Drifblim (M) @ White Herb
Trait: Aftermath
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Stockpile
- Shadow Ball
- Baton Pass

Smeargle (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Own Tempo
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Ingrain
- Shell Smash
- Spore
- Baton Pass

Sigilyph (M) @ Flame Orb
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 164 Def / 252 SAtk / 92 SDef
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Stored Power
- Ice Beam
- Psycho Shift
- Roost

Cloyster (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Skill Link
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast
- Razor Shell
- Ice Shard

Whimsicott (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 96 HP / 160 SDef / 252 Spd
- Taunt
- Switcheroo
- Stun Spore
- U-turn

Perhaps fitting a Lucario on there somewhere could help you out.
I'm pretty sure it could sweep with a shell smash, and checks both weavile and tyranitar with priority mach punch / vaccuum wave.

Im pretty sure i battled you while laddering ( or a team VERY similiar)... and my hariyama with guts/flameorb/payback/fakeout/bpunch/cc took out 5 members of your team.

Even tough this is guy is rare, conkeldurr is not so watch out for that

The problem of Whimsicott is that he breaks your chain without being able to attack.
What about Volbeat, who also gets prankster (even if he's slower, and more fragile), with baton pass, encore, Tail glow, Trick ? It would be an other way to help Sigyliph sweeping.
I think your team has a defensive problem, even if it's an agressive one. You have nothing to avoid the SR, if Whimsicott is not the lead (as you don't use espeon), four pokemon weak to rock (even if Sigilyph doesn't care about SR), and Smeargle who is really vulnerable witouht full health.
And if Smeargle dies, it's really the end, you have no backup to give your pokemon offensive power (Sigiliph with just defense boosts is not a real problem for many pokemon, such as Jirachi). Maybe Sword dance on Ninjask instead of substitute or protect could help.
You could also give more HP to Cloyster instead of speed, as you will outspeed anything easily with the help of Ninjask and Smeargle. It might help against priority users and bulky sweepers.

Good luck with your team.

(and by the way I still really need help for my own team baton pass,
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3461076
Sorry if I take advantage of this thread to ask help for myself)

The problem of Whimsicott is that he breaks your chain without being able to attack.
What about Volbeat, who also gets prankster (even if he's slower, and more fragile), with baton pass, encore, Tail glow, Trick ? It would be an other way to help Sigyliph sweeping.
I think your team has a defensive problem, even if it's an agressive one. You have nothing to avoid the SR, if Whimsicott is not the lead (as you don't use espeon), four pokemon weak to rock (even if Sigilyph doesn't care about SR), and Smeargle who is really vulnerable witouht full health.
And if Smeargle dies, it's really the end, you have no backup to give your pokemon offensive power (Sigiliph with just defense boosts is not a real problem for many pokemon, such as Jirachi). Maybe Sword dance on Ninjask instead of substitute or protect could help.
You could also give more HP to Cloyster instead of speed, as you will outspeed anything easily with the help of Ninjask and Smeargle. It might help against priority users and bulky sweepers.

Good luck with your team.

(and by the way I still really need help for my own team baton pass,
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3461076
Sorry if I take advantage of this thread to ask help for myself)
currently fiddling around with both yours and his :p
though sadly I'm not going to be of use since I'm just starting out on this ._.
For some weird weird reason I'm fairly taken with baton passing :pirate:

Though, what I've been finding is that smeargle is really squishy, though you would want him for ingrain, and like you've noted ,rotom-w really makes you sad :/

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I think switching your Whimsicott set to the more standard Encore, Taunt, Substitute / Stun Spore, Leech Seed set would be a great help. With 252 Hp and 252 Def EVs, Whimsicott is bulky enough to take on Weavile, as well as a slew of other physical attackers (Weavile's not that common either!) maximum Speed and a Choice Scarf is practically a waste on Whimsicott, especially when opposing Whims are rare and crippling them is not really important. Encore is a huge benefit to get your Baton Pass chain started, as you can lock in an opponent and switch in your set up safely (setting uP may be an issue still though).

I would also recommend investing more HP into the Pokemon you have invested in Def / SDef, as HP gives the overall most bulk. Lastly, you don't say you have much issue with phazing, so I'm not going to make this a big deal. However, you can swap Sigilyph for Magic Bounce Espeon if you start having such troubles. Good luck!

Thanks for the feedback so far. It's been helpful to me.

OVERGRO: I just tried a mixed Lucario set with Vacuum Wave / Drain Punch / Crunch / ExtremeSpeed, and its been working wonders so far. I'm just not sure who I should replace it with. If I replace Sigilyph, I end up completely walled by Quagsire. If I replace Cloyster, I get stopped and KOed by pokemon with Focus Sashes, Sturdy, or Substitutes.

Smilodon: The main problem with Whimsicott is that even though I can counter it with my own, I can't tell if my opponent plans to lead with theirs or not. Also, since Volbeat is slower, I won't be able to use it in my team. I've seen other people use Choice Scarf Whimsicott with Switcheroo before, and I need my Whimsicott to at least speed tie.

V0x: I'm going to have to keep my Whimsicott as is. Like I said before, I only use it to counter other Whimsicotts, and Choice Scarf + Switcheroo lets me outspeed them, and lock them into a support move at the same time.

As VOx said, Whimsicott is not often used, you can't really keep one poke just to deal with him.
Moreover, when the scarf (and I've seen this set used just once or twice under thousands of matches, there are really better trickers than him) is gone, espeon is just the best counter to Whimsicott, as he doesn't have to take care of encore, taunt, leech seed...
And Espeon also has baton pass, and can set up without fear against the walls (when he's received a bit of defence as he bounce all they can do). He is really the best user of stored power in my opinion.

Elegance92 : Smeargle is actually frail (i didn't know the word squishy, tanks for improving my vocabulary) but without ingrain you just can't do anything against stall team. He is also the only one who learns baton pass + quiver dance, which is one of the best moove to pass in my opinion.
Maybe for drakon136's team, Gorebyss could be a better SS passer, he is a bit slow (not so much at +2 speed) but really more bulky than smeargle, so he is able to give his boost a second or maybe a third time.
But you can keep smeargle anyway, he can learn so many usefull mooves (this afternoon i've fought a team baton pass who used smeargle with magic coat, amazing to cripple even prankster taunters).

Hmm, curious, what do you do against espeon?
I'm mainly playing against my brother, who recently has been running espeon, shuts down smeargles spore combo pretty harshly.
I could just be being outplayed though, as I honestly tend to get horribly horribly greedy and try to stat stack wayyyy too much.
hopefully in a month or two I'll be able to be giving out useful advice:p

To be honest, when I started using this team it was a real disaster. It's a very specific playing style, when you're not accustomed, you know when you must switch, what your opponent will send and the more important, you will be able to predict the moovesets (really, a trick you haven't predicted is just a disaster, one of your poke become useless, and if you didn't predict the chain is broken).

I'm currently testing Mienshao over Durant, he is a bit frail but his wonderfull ability is really usefull, and rock + fighting is a really good coverage.

Why don't you just swap cloyster for some lower tier physical sweeper (like marowak) and your team would drop all the way down to RU which is a much more forgiving enviroment. Also, for drifblim, I would use this set:

Drifblim @lum berry
EVs: 4 Hp, 252 def, 252 sp. def
Unburden
Substitute/recycle
Rest
Baton pass
shadow ball

This lets him pass +2 speed just by resting and using the lum berry. Shadow ball is so you're not complete taunt bait, substitute lets you pass pretty bulky substitutes where as recycle lets him baton pass several times.

Also, whimsicott isn't that common in OU (or even in RU), you don't need the speed EVs with prankster AND a choice scarf.

Ninjask already outspeeds everything anyway...in OU at least, you're better of running 248 HP / 232 def / 24 spe bold.. this lets you outspeed and sub up on starmie immediately, and scarf starmie (and therefore the entire metagame) after a single protect.
The extra defense means you can survive a banded scizor bullet punch and use substitute, which means that you don't have to protect against scizor, which means you won't need to worry about protecting against an SD scizor and getting ignore by a +2 bullet punch
It also means you survive a rain-boosted azumarill cb aqua jet, which would otherwise butcher Jason

Of course, you could switch to a different sweeper and move down to ru to make your life easier. If you really want to stay in ou (or at the very least, uu), I recommend adding a taunt/amnesia/sub/bpass mew, which does an incredible job tanking hits and breaking stall with its deceptively bulky base 100 stats across the board

Again, thanks for the help everyone.

Smilodon: You do have a point. I'm going to swap off Whimsicott for Espeon, and use the set I was originally planning.

spuds4ever: Sorry, but no. I can't swap off Cloyster at all, because otherwise I'm ruined by priority/Substitutes/Sturdy/Focus Sashes. And besides, SmashPass is banned in RU. And the only reason I use Drifblim is because he is the bulkiest pokemon that learns Stockpile and Baton Pass. If there were another pokemon that learned those moves (Smeargle aside), or more preferably Cosmic Power + Baton Pass, I'd use them.

MaestroXXVI: Thanks for the tips. I'll switch off Ninjask for the Mew you suggested and see how well it works, since I never use Ninjask anyway. And again, I need Cloyster to break past Substitutes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)