LOrd Fernado

I COULD BE BANNED!
Winners

With a staggering 19 votes total we have jazzmat’s Nido twins
:ss/nidoking:
Pokemon: Nidoking
Typing:

Abilities: Poison Point/Patriarch//Sheer Force
Custom Ability: Patriarch: The user's attacks deal 10% more damage for every healthy ally
Stats: 81/102/82/95/70/95
Movepool Changes:
+Barb Barrage​
-None​
Description: With its new signature ability Nidoking has the option to run physical scarf/band sets over it's usual special life orb sets, giving it much more diversity and unpredictability it very much appreciates. Barb Barrage can be very helpful for Patriarch or Sheer Force (with toxic spike support) and i thought it'd be a fun addition

:ss/Nidoqueen:
Pokemon: Nidoqueen
Typing:

Abilities: Poison Point/Natural Cure//Sheer Force
Stats: 100/82/87/95/85/76
Movepool Changes:
+Moonlight​
-None​
Description: Nidoqueen is now much more defensively oriented, with access to a healing move as well as better defensive stats and a new ability in Natural Cure, it is able to take great use of its fantastic defensive typing while still having sheer force and a formidable special attack.
And with 16 votes we have PQRDG’s Butterfree
:sv/Butterfree:
Pokemon: Butterfree
Typing: Bug/Fairy
Abilities: Shield Dust/Compound Eyes/Tinted Lens
Stats: 75/60/60/100/90/90 [BST 475] (+15/+15/+10/+10/+10/+20)
Movepool Changes: +Dazzling Gleam, Debug, Fairy Wind, Leech Life, Light Screen, Moonblast, Play Rough, Pounce, Sticky Web, Switcheroo
Signature Move: Debug (Bug, Special, 120 BP, 100% accuracy, 5 (8) PP. User must be Bug type to use this move, Bug-type becomes typeless.)
Description: Is this just turning Butterfree into Ribombee? Maybe. But does it make it better? Absolutely. Its abilities are already great for various reasons, but adding Shield Dust as a fitting ability that similar bugs also have. Debug is here as an equivalent to Double Shock (apologies for the pun name I work in IT).
Congrats to to winners and thank you to the people who voted and submitted

LOrd Fernado

I COULD BE BANNED!
Quick mistake: It turns out that Hematite’s butterfree won
:butterfree: Butterfree

Type: Bug / Flying
Base Stats
: 80 HP / 45 Attack / 52 Defense / 92 Special Attack / 79 Special Defense / 106 Speed // 454 BST
Abilities: Compound Eyes / Tinted Lens // Multiscale (Hidden)
Movepool Changes:
Butterfree gains Powder Gale and Strength Sap​

Powder Gale (Bug) || Special || 75 BP / 100% acc / 10 (16) PP
The user flaps its wings to shower the target in its glittering toxic scales. This also harshly lowers a random one of the target's stats and poisons the target. (wind move; to be clear, gives -2 to a random one of Attack, Defense, Sp. Atk, Sp. Def or Speed and has a 100% chance to poison)

I'm just having fun here, but I think that's how it should be! It's important to me for this to feel like a Butterfree even if it's hopefully a pretty fresh take on it.

- First thing: yyyeah no there's no way I retype this sorry :'D
From my point of view, the spirit of this mod is to stay as true as possible to the original Pokémon and find a way to honor everything that's already associated with it, both flavorfully and mechanically.
We're not just making a new regional butterfly with its own flavor, or even a regional variant or a Mega Evolution - we're trying to portray Butterfree as it is, but to the standards of the current Gen.
For me, it's not an option to retype it just to make it more generally useful without a really good excuse for how the new type is still at least as representative of Butterfree.
- Importantly, as generic as the type sounds now, Butterfree is the original Bug/Flying-type. It's the one that started that trend, and three of the later Bug/Flying-types were clearly meant as direct references to Butterfree (Ledian/Ariados and Beautifly/Dustox were both Bug/Flying + Bug/Poison duos created as very blatant Gen I references, and Vivillon was just "Butterfree 3.0").​
For better or worse, I am going to run with that or die trying. P:​
- FWIW, pretty much the only other types I could bring myself to seriously consider are Bug/Poison which we do not need more of anyway asdhjffk or Bug/Psychic, the former because of its dex entries and the latter because Butterfree spent its first three Generations consistently running Psychic instead of STAB moves before the physical/special split + Confusion was always its early-game niche against Brock.​
But uh. Bug/Psychic... just... doesn't feel like much of an improvement anyway, in context. P: I would be pretty curious to see someone work with it, though!​

- I kept both of Butterfree's original Abilities (Compound Eyes and Tinted Lens) as options, because it had an empty slot anyway and I think they still have genuinely cool applications, but the obvious big change is that it now has HA Multiscale.
- Multiscale is an Ability that has only ever been on Flying-types with scales so far in canon, so it feels extremely appropriate for a butterfly. The order "lepidoptera" literally means "scale wings," and plenty of its favor text puts focus on its scales as its main form of offense as well as protection from environmental factors like the rain.​
- Mechanically, Multiscale is already very good in general, but there are a few reasons why it seems especially appropriate here; it specifically makes the most of Bug/Flying's crippling reliance on Heavy-Duty Boots and can make it far easier to pull off status-spreading sets or to set up Quiver Dances.​

- The addition of Strength Sap is also meant to play off of both Multiscale and Quiver Dance!
Strength Sap can potentially restore HP by more than half against the right opponent, healing back to 100% to restore Multiscale, and the Attack debuff leans into the corresponding bulk increase;
meanwhile, Quiver Dance can shore up Butterfree's special bulk but not its physical bulk, so having a way to lower Attack complements it nicely.

- Lastly, the concept of Powder Gale was inspired by several of Butterfree's dex entries, which emphasize that its scales are highly toxic and that it uses them to attack.
- It's worth making a comparison to G-Max Befuddle, Butterfree's one-time signature move which was also guaranteed to inflict status but actually had the randomness of Effect Spore and Dire Claw to evoke the three powder moves Butterfree is known to use. I didn't want to do this exactly (although I considered just making a special Dire Claw, I figured that wouldn't go over so well), but I figure the guaranteed chip from poison can compensate the move's low power decently well and it has a tamer RNG element as kind of an homage to this.​
- Bug-type moves have been associated with consistent debuffs for a long time - Struggle Bug, Lunge, G-Max Flutterby, Skitter Smack and Pounce are all Bug moves with 100% chances to lower a stat.​
- Competitively, I like the effect of it here because it can often force switches, which feeds into its own status spread (you don't really make progress by spamming a poisoning move against an already-poisoned target, so why not make your opponent bring a new target in?), but it also creates a strange sense of cohesion with everything else Butterfree has going for it.​
Its other tools are already all about mitigating incoming damage, pressing whatever stat advantages it can get no matter how temporary and volatile they are, and forcing constant switches with Strength Sap, Sleep Powder and other status spread, so what better way to bring it together than a crazy move like this bringing a bit of spice and chaos to the table?​
I would really enjoy finding out how much progress Butterfree could force with a silly move like this P: I think it would be a lot of fun​

- also: if you wanted something 500% committed to being Serious and Objectively Competitive and not something a bit silly, you shouldn't have led with "do something like Spidops"
it's an early-game Bug!! it's gonna be a little all-or-nothing
:caterpie: Caterpie
Type: Bug
Base Stats
: 40 HP / 25 Attack / 47 Defense / 22 Special Attack / 24 Special Defense / 46 Speed || 204 BST
Abilities: Shield Dust // Run Away

:metapod: Metapod
Type: Bug
Base Stats
: 50 HP / 32 Attack / 62 Defense / 25 Special Attack / 39 Special Defense / 31 Speed || 239 BST
Abilities: Shed Skin
edit: typo
So congrats to Hematite for winning the Butterfree

zxgzxg

scrabble
is a Forum Moderator
i will use my two games of knowledge to share thoughts

:nidoking:I'm glad this didn't lose Sheer Force since vanilla Nidoking was fairly unexplored and I think it still does well with it. Patriarch is probably also fine, an instant x1.5 multiplier is hard to ignore.

:nidoqueen:It's Nidoqueen with Recovery all right.

:butterfree:Absolutely demolishes Venomoth's niche but having a better QD sweeper is great for HO, so I'm pretty happy! The combination of QD, Sap and Tera will be devastating.

LOrd Fernado

I COULD BE BANNED!
Slate 7:
Aquatic Slate
:sv/cloyster::dondozo::sv/gyarados::palafin::sv/tentacruel::toedscruel:
Now that Regeneration AAA is a thing, lets add more mons with a new slate, this time the theme being aquatic Pokemon. Cloyster is well known as a Shell Smash Icicle Spear sweeper, while Gyarados is the infamous Dragon Dancer that everyone knows about. However, Tentacruel has to role of a special wall, along with an excellent defensive typing. How will you adapt these Pokemon roles?

:cloyster: (Dondozo)
  • Must have a signature move (Like Order Up)
:gyarados: (Palafin)
  • Must have a signature ability (Like Zero To Hero)
  • Must have a signature move (Like Jet Punch)
:tentacruel: (Toedscruel)
  • Must have a signature ability (Like Mycelium Might)
  • BST cannot be changed - must stay 515 BST
You have a week to complete: (1 / 9)
Glhf!

Last edited:
:sm/gyarados::sm/palafin-hero:
Pokemon: Gyarados
Counterpart: Palafin
Type:
Water
Dark

Ability: Marine Menace
Stats: 105 / 110 / 60 / 55 / 70 / 100 (500 BST)
Movepool Adjustments:
+Sucker Punch, Pursuit, Knock Off, Maelstrom
-Marine Menace: The user's Water-type moves gain a 10% boost in power for each turn the user stays on the field.
-Maelstrom |
Water
| Physical | 75 | 100 | 16 | If this move hits a target for not very effective damage, lowers their Defense by 1.

Description: the "supervillain" to palafin. a ddancer that can stay on the field and accumulate boosts over time, contrary to palafin's method of switching out in order to gain its boosts. gyarados becomes water/dark, which is an amazing offensive typing, and maelstrom as a relatively safe stab move to click (even if it is a bit weak). gyarados is a bit frail though, and threats such as butterfree and jolteon can revenge kill it if left unboosted.

Mossy Sandwich

Gunning for the top
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
UUPL Champion
:ss/tentacruel:
Pokemon: Tentacruel
Typing:

Abilities: Tropical Current
Custom Ability: If this Pokemon is burned, it restores 1/8 of its maximum HP, rounded down, at the end of each turn instead of losing HP. Ignores burn's attack drop.
Stats: 80 / 50 / 65 / 100 / 120 / 100
Movepool Changes:
+Dark Pulse, Foul Play, Nasty Plot​
-Scald​
Description: I have no idea what I'm doing! Tenta's main issues are issues with longevity and passivity, so I gave it a pheal clone to stay healthier and higher special attack and Nasty Plot to threaten stuff better. Aside from that, it's a cool spinner.

:sv/Cloyster:
Pokemon: Cloyster
Typing: Water/Steel
Abilities: Shell Armor / Skill Link / Anger Shell
Stats: 60/100/180/90/50/60 [BST 540] (+10/+5/+0/+5/+5/-10)
Movepool Changes:
+ Automatize, Body Press, Charge, Charge Beam, Discharge, Electro Ball, Gyro Ball, Iron Head, Magnet Rise, Nasty Plot, Rapid Spin, Shelter, Shift Gear, Shock Wave, Shrapnel Shot, Spark, Steel Beam, Swords Dance, Thunder, Thunderbolt, Wild Charge, Zap Cannon
- All Ice-type moves, Poison Jab, Shell Smash
Signature Move: Shrapnel Shot (Steel, Physical, 15 BP, 90% accuracy, 20 (32) PP. Hits 2-5 times. First hit lower's the target's defense by one stage. Flags: Blocked by Bulletproof, Damp.)
Description: Presenting this new version of Cloyster that is slightly more machine than clam. Signature move borrowed from Vaporemons and it fits the theme here. Replacing Shell Smash with Shift Gear makes this new version very interesting and helps this new robotic alternative be vastly different from what classic Cloyster usually is.

:sv/Gyarados:
Pokemon: Gyarados
Typing: Water/Dragon
Abilities: Intimidate / Mold Breaker / Lake of Rage
Stats: 100/120/80/100/80/90 [BST 570] (+5/-5/+1/+40/-20/+9)
Movepool Changes: +Agility, Boomburst, Coil, Draco Meteor, Dragon Breath, Dragon Rush, Iron Tail, Nasty Plot, Raging Fury, Raging Tempest, Wave Crash, Work Up
Signature Move: Raging Tempest (Water, Special, 120 BP, 100% accuracy, 10 (16) PP. Last 2-3 turns and confuses the user afterwards. If the user's Attack is higher than their Special Attack, becomes a Physical move with the Contact flag.)
Signature Ability: Lake of Rage If this Pokemon KOs an opponent with a Physical move, its Attack is raised by one stage. If it KOs an opponent with a Special move, its Special Attack is raised by one stage.
Description: Water/Dragon for the iconic sea serpent who never got the chance. Despite its original stat spread, Gyarados has the movepool to be a potentially great Special attacker. By replacing Moxie with new ability Lake of Rage, named after an iconic location where it could be found, Gyarados could safely increase either its physical or special attack while dealing massive damage.

:sv/Tentacruel:
Typing: Water/Dark
Ability: Jellyfish Sting
Movepool Changes: + Baneful Bunker, Barb Barrage, Brutal Swing, Chilling Water, Clear Smog, Dark Pulse, Flip Turn, Liquidation, Mortal Spin, Nasty Plot, Parting Shot, Poison Fang, Recover, Taunt, Throat Chop
Stats: 100/60/60/70/135/90 [BST 515] (+20/-10/-5/-10/+15/-10)
Signature Ability: Jellyfish Sting This Pokemon's moves that have a chance to Poison or Badly Poison have an equal chance to Paralyze.
Description: Specially bulky Tentacruel with more longevity thanks to Recover (RIP Regen but it is what it is). New signature ability allows it to spread status in an interesting way. Changing it from Water/Poison to Water/Dark to give it STAB on Knock Off and make it no longer weak to Earth Power from Sheer Force Nidotwins or Psychic from Alakazam.

Last edited:
:rb/cloyster:
Pokémon: Cloyster
Type: Water, Poison
Ability
: Poison Point, Merciless | Overcoat

New Stats

HP - 50
Atk - 105
Def - 180
SpA - 95
SpD - 45
Spe - 70
BST: 545

Move Changes
+ Baneful Bunker, Barb Barrage, Sludge Bomb, Sludge Wave, Scald, Spiky Shield, Venom Drench, Venoshock
+ signature move: Vibriosis [Base Power: 150; PP: 5; Type: Water; Info: Non contact, Hits all other Pokémon on the field, Physical. User poisons the target and faints after using this move, like Explosion.]
- Frost Breath, Ice Shard

Description:
1) Flavour

In the Kanto region, Shellder can be found in the water of route 17 and 18. Coincidentally, Grimer and Muk also happen to be near there. This suggest some environmental issues which would naturally affect the Shellder line, turning them into Water / Poison Pokémon as a result. A similar phenomenon also exists in real life where marine pollution can affect the development of oysters, making people very worried about the stuff they catch and eat. After all, you could get poisoned or get some diseases!

2) Competitive

In modern generations, Cloyster is mostly known as a generic Shell Smash sweeper but in some past generations (GSC and RSE, for instance) and Monotype, it functions as an offensive or even defensive Rapid Spin Pokémon that's also able to set hazard(s). So, it's only natural to expand on this concept.

Thanks to a superb Water/Poison dualtype, Cloyster can now make better use of its defensive typing. For instance, it is no longer weak to Stealth Rock and resists U-Turn, making Cloyster much more resilient throughout the game. What's more, it naturally removes Toxic Spikes. Its ability to spread is noteworthy, between Poison Point, Baneful Bunker, Barb Barrage, and Toxic Spikes, among others. Since Cloyster has lots of opportunities to inflict Poison, you might be able to resort to Merciless quite reliably for some neat offensive pressure.

As a potential Shell Smash user that decreases its defensive stats upon the move's use, Cloyster can lure priority users with Baneful Bunker or wear down Pokémon to get them into a KO range later. After all, Poison chip + Merciless's crit + a powered up Barb Barrage or Venoshock can hurt quite a lot.

Since Cloyster likes to blow up itself in past metagames, I decided to give it a signature move that would mirror that. It's a bit weaker than Explosion but Vibriosis is a Water STAB move while Explosion is a non STAB move. Furthermore, you can poison the target with Vibriosis.

(I might do Tentacruel later if I have some ideas)

Ohhh, we're doing Palafin? I love Palafin!
Man, reimagining Zero to Hero would have been a really fun opportunity to do an in-battle form change, but it's not like we could just make up a new form for something that doesn't already have... oh!
o h h h h !
okay so hear me out.

:gyarados: Gyarados...

Type: Water / Flying
Base Stats
: 100 HP / 100 Attack / 107 Defense / 70 Special Attack / 92 Special Defense / 71 Speed // 540 BST
Abilities: Violent Abandon

... and :gyarados-mega: Mega Gyarados!

Type: Water / Dark
Base Stats
: 100 HP / 125 Attack / 107 Defense / 105 Special Attack / 122 Special Defense / 81 Speed // 640 BST

Movepool Changes
:
Gyarados gains Acrobatics and Raging Torrent

Violent Abandon (Ability)
The Pokémon transforms into Mega Gyarados when its held item is used or lost.​
(note: like Battle Bond, this does not wear off when switching out, only when the battle ends or when Gyarados is knocked out!
also like Battle Bond, it should only activate once per battle, even if Gyarados is revived from fainting and loses another item)

Raging Torrent (Water) || Physical || 90 BP / 100% acc / 15 (24) PP
The user loses sight of everything around it and violently lashes out at opposing Pokémon.​
This also lowers their Attack stats, but the user is compelled to keep using this move for three turns.​
(makes contact; hits all adjacent foes and has a 100% chance to lower Attack, but it also inflicts Encore on the user after use)

I will absolutely rebalance this if requested! I did my best to make it okay, though. C:

Uh, I would leave it up to council discretion whether Mega Gyarados should still be called Mega Gyarados (to make it clear that it's still representing a canon element of Gyarados) or called something new (to make it clear that it's an Ability-based form change like Palafin, since the format obviously doesn't have Megas).
Even so, I would love if this could be allowed, since it definitely feels to me like the most fitting way to bridge Palafin and Gyarados!
This is like the one time all mod that it would actually make sense to do this, okay--

Now for the real talking points!!

- Gyarados's custom Ability, Violent Abandon, is obviously inspired by Palafin's Zero to Hero, but with some twists that I thought would help it fit Gyarados better and make it more interesting to build around.
The choice to base the Ability on Unburden initially came from wanting to represent Mega Evolution's item restriction; my first couple of ideas were all based on doing something with the item slot (like needing to be burned to push for holding Flame Orb), but this was the one I liked the most, in part because Gyarados leaves a lot of creative freedom in deciding exactly how you want to activate it.
- In theory, Gyarados's preferred field effect would be rain, but you could fit it into a core with Misty Surge Venusaur to activate its Ability quickly with a Misty Seed, which is neat because that can also be part of a FWG core!
This can be especially nice for Gyarados because it comes in easily on both Fire-types (even the Fire/Dark-type Charizard!) and Water-types with Scald, so the burn immunity from Misty Terrain can make its life a lot easier. It becomes grounded instantly after eating the seed, so it gets the status immunity as it switches in!
Uh, I will admit that I totally forgot we had Misty Surge and thought it would be at least a little more awkward to activate this, so if I have to nerf this at all, I absolutely will :'D sorry

- There are also a lot of Berries and Herbs that you can design a set around activating easily!
For example, Mega Gyarados has historically run sets with Sub + DD, so why not run a Sitrus Berry (or a pinch berry if you really feel comfortable getting your HP low?) and activate your Ability yourself?
and I know no one runs Chesto Rest any more, but like, you could consider that if eating a Chesto Berry also came with +25 Attack and +30 SpD and +10 Speed, right?
There are also items that are very easy to proc on switch-in, like a Kee Berry, that could let you start your Mega at +1 Defense by coming in on a stray U-turn or something else that base Gyarados resists; a Kee Berry is usually pretty annoying to activate consistently and I've always been mad that Knock Off doesn't activate the effect, but Knock activates your Ability anyway, so no real loss if your main goal was the Mega anyway, you know?
BUT ALSO one of the funniest things you could do is Swagger + Mirror Herb like Grafaiai runs, which lets you Mega Evolve and set a fake Swords Dance at the same time--
... Okay I get that a lot of these are kind of gimmicky options and most people here would probably just run Sub + Sitrus or Misty Seed, but the point is that you can have fun with it okay--
If we ever get a VGC format (please!!! I would gladly code it myself if no one else will it would take like two minutes), it can also be handy to run things like White Herb to punish Intimidate drops with an instant Mega, especially since Gyarados is often used as a support Pokémon there.

- Alternatively, Gyarados can play defensively without specifically planning to activate its Mega, maybe even with an item like Boots - Water/Flying is a really good type defensively, and base Gyarados's physical bulk is just as good as its Mega's, so you should have a lot of opportunities to come in.
But the cool thing here is that Knock Off activates Violent Abandon (just like it activates Unburden in canon), which lets you absorb it safely and... immediately gain a Dark resistance and lose your Rock weakness, so you have way less to worry about! That lets you lose a lot less from the exchange than most Pokémon would, even if you didn't specifically plan on running the Mega at all.​

- A big part of the fun of an effect like this is the way it interacts with Acrobatics.
I like the idea of making Gyarados lose its Flying type but gain a usable Flying coverage move at the same time, since Gyarados has a long history of having technically-suboptimal Flying STAB but finding ways to use Flying moves anyway (apparently regular Bounce in Gen V, Z-Bounce in Gen VII, Max Airstream in Gen VIII and Tera Blast in Gen IX).
It's not exactly accurate to say that Gyarados is balanced around not having Flying moves, because it actually runs them very often! but it is balanced around having awkward ways to access it, so I thought it would be a neat dynamic to let it have one of the stronger Flying moves and a perfect excuse to run it, but only at the same time that it loses STAB.
- On a related note, Acrobatics draws a neat parallel to Roaring Moon, which contributes to my impression that this is exactly what Gen IX would do. P:
In vanilla, Roaring Moon is a reinvention of Salamence that's designed after its Mega, and it's also given an Ability that strongly rewards running a consumable item (in its case, Booster Energy). This allows it to justify Acrobatics as a coverage move, which in turn pushes it to run Tera Flying a lot of the time in both OU and VGC - which is a really cool way to tie it back to its roots as a Salamence form! It's basically a mechanical incentive to get players to do something really flavorful, which I think was brilliant on Game Freak's part.
The funny thing is that just like Gyarados, Salamence has historically had very limited access to Flying STAB at all, although the same isn't true of the Mega design that Roaring Moon was based on. Still, like Roaring Moon, this is a Mega-based form of Gyarados... that loses Flying STAB for Dark STAB... and it's already intended to run an item it can get rid of easily... so of course the Gen IX thing to do would be to give it Acrobatics, right?! I had to!​

- One other thing that I'm sure not every set will want to run but could be a really neat option is Gyarados's new signature move, Raging Torrent!
At a glance, Raging Torrent is basically like a Lunge in singles, or a much stronger Breaking Swipe in doubles; I really wanted to do something that could lower Attack because Gyarados's new Ability had to come at the expense of Intimidate, which was one of my favorite things about canon Gyarados. I think it's really important for Gyarados to have another consistent way to drop Attack in exchange for that, because I really like the extra layer of versatility that having a defensive Ability like Intimidate affords it, not to mention that it's especially important to the ways it can be used supportively in doubles.
- Being able to use a Lunge-style move in the middle of a sweep is also a very strong selling point compared to Intimidate, but it comes at sort of a weird cost: it inflicts Encore on the user, so it "can't" use Raging Torrent right away to make Dragon Dance easier to set up, it "can't" use Raging Torrent and then switch to another coverage type for the next switch-in, and it's probably put in a really awkward position if the opponent has something like a Lifeguard Dragonite on their team to prey on Water-type moves.
Relying on Raging Torrent as your STAB may make your life easier defensively and buy you some extra chances to attack, but its drawback can be tricky to deal with, so the average sweeping set probably still wants to run Waterfall; you don't lose much by just ignoring this if it doesn't appeal to you.

- So uh. Why would you run Raging Torrent?
This is my take on sets like White Herb Close Combat/Leaf Storm, Power Herb Sky Attack, and similar sets sometimes run by Unburden users... and it's also your one-use pre-Mega Intimidate to ease setup.
It adds a cool layer of synergy with Gyarados's Unburden-style Ability by making it the one Pokémon that can self-proc a held Mental Herb, letting you bypass its drawback once per battle and transform into Mega Gyarados at the same time!
If this is the way you choose to activate Violent Abandon, you are stuck dealing with the self-Encore drawback the next time you use the move, so there's definitely a tradeoff to counting on it and I don't expect it to be run all the time. But I think it has a lot of potential as its own kind of Mega Gyarados set, and I love having that kind of optional-but-kinda-spicy extra layer baked into a Pokémon's design - I really wanted to do something like this so it would have a unique way to engage with its form-changing gimmick, just obviously without being so defining or so much more powerful than the next-best option that people would be roped into it if they felt more secure running Waterfall + Misty Seed or some other consumable item.

- Also I would totally still run it in doubles and I think it's a cool twist on Breaking Swipe P: again I will make and play a doubles format of this any time so just say the word--​

- As a minor thing, introducing such a bulky Dark-type might be good for the metagame, with strong opponents like Alakazam and Gengar in mind, because Kanto is famously low on Dark-types and I'm allergic to retyping things so I will have no other occasion to submit one myself.

- Dumping a good amount of Mega Gyarados's BST into Special Attack also unlocks a lot of Gyarados's cool special options for non-Dragon Dance sets, including Scald to take advantage of its impressive bulk and some of its 110 BP coverage options like Hydro Pump, Hurricane, Thunder, Blizzard and Fire Blast.

- Lastly, I know it's probably kinda weird to introduce a "Mega" (whether we stick with that name or not) if we're talking about reimagining a Pokémon like Gyarados for Gen IX specifically, since obviously there are no Megas at all this Gen... but I want to make the case that it's definitely faithful to Gen IX's design philosophy to call back to old forms like Megas and Gigantamaxes!
Gen IX has already given us Roaring Moon and Iron Valiant, both of which are reimaginings of old Pokémon that are directly based on their Mega Evolutions. There's also the upcoming Dipplin, which similarly revives the design of G-Max Flapple and Appletun (and directly calls back to the mechanics of G-Max Flapple with its new signature Ability!) just to turn them into a new regular evolution of Applin with its own twists.
Recognizing the game-specific forms of Pokémon that are no longer available and just making something new out of them is something Gen IX has done more than any other game in the series, so I think it's wholly in the spirit of this mod to try to account for the existence of a Mega... just in this rare case where it also makes it possible to resemble Palafin more closely, which is the actual goal of the sub anyway!
- Note that this doesn't have to open any floodgates to allow other Mega-based subs in the future.
The reason I feel that including Mega Gyarados is warranted here is because the Pokémon in the slate is Palafin, which not only has a permanent mid-battle 650-BST form change (even higher than Mega Gyarados) but is also the only Pokémon in Gen IX to have an in-battle form change, period!
Since we're matching each old Pokémon to one new Pokémon, this is the only opportunity that will ever come up to create a form-changing Ability for any Pokémon, even though many other Pokémon from Kanto have established Megas and Gigantamaxes. This situation will never come up again! so you shouldn't have to worry about what kind of precedent it sets to allow this or anticipate people going wild with Megas in the future - only whether the sub is fine on its own merits.

- If you're worried about the idea of Mega Gyarados specifically, or daunted by its raw BST, please be mindful of the various ways that this is weaker than vanilla Mega Gyarados!
Notably, it dumps 30 points of Attack into SpA, loses access to both of its Abilities (pre-Mega Intimidate and post-Mega Mold Breaker), and isn't as easy to activate whenever you want as clicking a button - you do have to build a set around it and play a certain way just to have the chance to change form.
Its base form is also noticeably much weaker than the original Gyarados (it loses a lot of Attack and some Speed, in exchange for Defense that only half-compensates for Intimidate and a tiny buff to Special Attack that it can't really use in that form), even while sticking to the same BST. And it, uh, loses Moxie which is big. P:
Compared to an actually-broken Pokémon like Palafin, it also doesn't have any of the dramatically overpowered moves like Wave Crash or Jet Punch (or Drain Punch, pivoting... or the ability to run Leftovers or Band, for that matter!), which arguably all do even more heavy-lifting than its raw Attack stat.
This also resembles Roaring Moon a bit conceptually, so I want to highlight that while its BST is also inflated somewhat artificially, with a large amount put into SpA (notice: if you took away 50 of its SpA, it would have both the same SpA and the same BST as Roaring Moon), it's a lot less optimized - its toolkit is much weaker, with no Ability (no Booster Energy sweeps), less Attack and way less Speed, no pivoting, and again no Choice Band access.
It's still a strong Dragon Dance sweeper, obviously - it's Gyarados! It does Gyarados things! but I did try to show restraint and wanted to make sure to highlight that, since I'm aware it probably looks a bit excessive on the surface.​

Last edited:

Typing: Water/Poison
Abilities: Stinging Cells.
Signature Ability: Stingins Cells:
Duplicates Attack and Special Attack but can never hit for super effective damage. If the target should be hiy with super effective damage, it will be hit with not very effective damage instead (*1/2 if normally would be *2 and *1/4 if normally would be *4)
Movepool Changes: -Accupressure, -Endure, -Substitute, -Acid Spray, -Sword Dance.
Stats: HP 90 / Attack 60 / Defense 75 / Sp. Atk. 60 / Sp. Def 130 / Speed 100
Description:

To fully mimic Toedscruel, Tentacruel's ability should be very good but with some important drawback. With boost offensive Stats in Huge Power mode, Tentacruel is a fast wallbreaker that can hit from both Special and Physical side, while being decently bulky. However, Tentacruel will never be able to hit for super effective damage and in fact, Pokemon weak to its STABs will resist them (Pokemon that resist the STABs, still will do it too).

Due to being fast for a wallbreaker, Tentracruel gets both offensive Stats nerfed to 60 and also loses some movepool, namely Moves that would have allowed our jellyfish to boost the Stats or to use pinch berries safely. However, its still able to use Band and Specs very well.

Checks? Well, Mons that either resist orwould normally be weak to Tentacruel's STABs and coverage. Some examples:

252+ SpA Choice Specs Tentacruel Surf vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Rhydon: 138-162 (33.3 - 39.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tentacruel Sludge Bomb vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Rhydon: 138-162 (33.3 - 39.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Tentacruel Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Rhydon: 181-213 (43.7 - 51.4%) -- 8.2% chance to 2HKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Tentacruel Sludge Bomb vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Parasect: 61-72 (18.8 - 22.2%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Choice Specs Tentacruel Surf vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Venusaur: 105-125 (28.8 - 34.3%) -- 99.7% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tentacruel Sludge Bomb vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Venusaur: 52-62 (14.2 - 17%) -- possible 9HKO after Leftovers recovery < Venusaur is Fairy in this Pet Mod, so it takes *1/4 damage.

252+ SpA Tentacruel Sludge Bomb vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Chansey: 187-222 (26.5 - 31.5%) -- 21% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

Tentacruel's strength lies not in destroying defensive cores (which is not that easy, despite all that power), but in being hard to check offensively. Tentacruel is both fast and very bulky for such an offensive Mon, which means Psychic and Electric types (which don,t resist and are not weak to Tentacruel's STABs) not only struggle to switch in, but also don,t always OHKO Tentacruel.

Pokemon: Cloyster
Typing: Water/Ice
Abilities: Shell Armor/Overcoat/Regenerator
Movepool Changes: -Shell Smash, +Spinning Shell
Signature Move: Spinning Shell
. Physical. Water Type. 50 Power, 100 Accuracy, 32 PPs. Removes hazards on user's field, ignores abilities.
Stats: HP 50 / Attack 95 / Defense 180 / Sp. Atk. 85 / Sp. Def 45 / Speed 70
Description:

No more Shell Smashing, Cloyster is now an unblockabe spinner with Regenerator. The Stats are not entirely suited for being a defensive Mon (both HP and Special Defense are straight up terrible) which balances Cloyster, since Regenerator is one of the best abilities in the game.
Apart from spinning, Cloyster learns both Spikes and Toxic Spikes, so it not only removes hazards, but also puts them. Pretty straightforward Mon to use, though the Ice typing is another limitating factor.

Regarding Gyarados, my plan was making an ability that worked like Weakness Policy, but after seeing Hematite one, I don,t see sense in competing with his, it clearly will be the best Gyarados submission and works very well with Palafin's theme.

:dondozo:
Cloyster
Type
:

Abilities: Shell Armor, Water Veil, Regenerator
Stats: 80 | 90 | 165 | 80 | 70 | 50 [BST= 530]
Movepool Changes: Gen 9 base movepool, +Bullet Punch, Curse, Explosion, Iron Head, - Ice Shard, Life Dew, Shell Smash
Signature Move: Splashback
50 BP || 10/16 PP, 100 Acc || Base power increases by 50 each time the user takes damage, caps at 300. Resets when the user switches out (in short, a Water-type Rage Fist that isn't kept on switch)
Description: Stellar physical wall thanks to the combination of its typing, sky-high Defense, and Regenerator for healing. Instead of having an insane setup move in Shell Smash, Cloyster gets a powerful attacking option in Splashback to punish repeated hits. however since Regenerator is its only recovery option, you will inevitably have to switch and reset the damage boost to preserve Cloyster. Potential checks/counters include Blastoise, Poliwrath, and Dragonite.

:toedscruel:
Tentacruel
Type
:

Ability: Virulent Body - If the user has a status condition, it will transfer that status onto the next Pokemon that switches in (opponent or ally)
Stats: 90 | 50 | 75 | 85 | 115 | 100 [BST= 515]
Movepool Changes: SwSh base 8 movepool, +Nasty Plot, Shadow Ball, Toxic
Description: Idk the sub's original ability was pretty ass. Virulent Body is also kinda ass but you can do some funny stuff like eating a WoW and passing the burn to a Guts mon. Also gets NPlot to be less passive and Toxic because tenta lost that in gen 8 for some reason.

Last edited:

LOrd Fernado

I COULD BE BANNED!
24 hour warning
(also i should've mentioned it earlier, but all Tentacruel subs must have the signature ability as it's only ability) so PQRDG, please change your Tentacruel sub ability pool

:Cloyster: Beebos, PQRDG [sv], BlueRay
:Gyarados: Hematite, chemicalmines, PQRDG [sv]
:Tentacruel: Beebos, PQRDG [sv], Mossy Sandwich

Last edited:

LOrd Fernado

I COULD BE BANNED!
winners cuz activity has dropped
Beebos with Cloyster
:dondozo:
Cloyster
Type
:

Abilities: Shell Armor, Water Veil, Regenerator
Stats: 80 | 90 | 165 | 80 | 70 | 50 [BST= 530]
Movepool Changes: Gen 9 base movepool, +Bullet Punch, Curse, Explosion, Iron Head, - Ice Shard, Life Dew, Shell Smash
Signature Move: Splashback
50 BP || 10/16 PP, 100 Acc || Base power increases by 50 each time the user takes damage, caps at 300. Resets when the user switches out (in short, a Water-type Rage Fist that isn't kept on switch)
Description: Stellar physical wall thanks to the combination of its typing, sky-high Defense, and Regenerator for healing. Instead of having an insane setup move in Shell Smash, Cloyster gets a powerful attacking option in Splashback to punish repeated hits. however since Regenerator is its only recovery option, you will inevitably have to switch and reset the damage boost to preserve Cloyster. Potential checks/counters include Blastoise, Poliwrath, and Dragonite.
Hematite with Gyarados
Ohhh, we're doing Palafin? I love Palafin!
Man, reimagining Zero to Hero would have been a really fun opportunity to do an in-battle form change, but it's not like we could just make up a new form for something that doesn't already have... oh!
o h h h h !
okay so hear me out.

:gyarados: Gyarados...

Type: Water / Flying
Base Stats
: 100 HP / 100 Attack / 107 Defense / 70 Special Attack / 92 Special Defense / 71 Speed // 540 BST

... and :gyarados-mega: Mega Gyarados!

Type: Water / Dark
Base Stats
: 100 HP / 125 Attack / 107 Defense / 105 Special Attack / 122 Special Defense / 81 Speed // 640 BST

Movepool Changes
:
Gyarados gains Acrobatics and Raging Torrent

Violent Abandon (Ability)
The Pokémon transforms into Mega Gyarados when its held item is used or lost.​
(note: like Battle Bond, this does not wear off when switching out, only when the battle ends or when Gyarados is knocked out!
also like Battle Bond, it should only activate once per battle, even if Gyarados is revived from fainting and loses another item)

Raging Torrent (Water) || Physical || 90 BP / 100% acc / 15 (24) PP
The user loses sight of everything around it and violently lashes out at opposing Pokémon.​
This also lowers their Attack stats, but the user is compelled to keep using this move for three turns.​
(makes contact; hits all adjacent foes and has a 100% chance to lower Attack, but it also inflicts Encore on the user after use)

I will absolutely rebalance this if requested! I did my best to make it okay, though. C:

Uh, I would leave it up to council discretion whether Mega Gyarados should still be called Mega Gyarados (to make it clear that it's still representing a canon element of Gyarados) or called something new (to make it clear that it's an Ability-based form change like Palafin, since the format obviously doesn't have Megas).
Even so, I would love if this could be allowed, since it definitely feels to me like the most fitting way to bridge Palafin and Gyarados!
This is like the one time all mod that it would actually make sense to do this, okay--

Now for the real talking points!!

- Gyarados's custom Ability, Violent Abandon, is obviously inspired by Palafin's Zero to Hero, but with some twists that I thought would help it fit Gyarados better and make it more interesting to build around.
The choice to base the Ability on Unburden initially came from wanting to represent Mega Evolution's item restriction; my first couple of ideas were all based on doing something with the item slot (like needing to be burned to push for holding Flame Orb), but this was the one I liked the most, in part because Gyarados leaves a lot of creative freedom in deciding exactly how you want to activate it.
- In theory, Gyarados's preferred field effect would be rain, but you could fit it into a core with Misty Surge Venusaur to activate its Ability quickly with a Misty Seed, which is neat because that can also be part of a FWG core!​
This can be especially nice for Gyarados because it comes in easily on both Fire-types (even the Fire/Dark-type Charizard!) and Water-types with Scald, so the burn immunity from Misty Terrain can make its life a lot easier. It becomes grounded instantly after eating the seed, so it gets the status immunity as it switches in!​
Uh, I will admit that I totally forgot we had Misty Surge and thought it would be at least a little more awkward to activate this, so if I have to nerf this at all, I absolutely will :'D sorry
- There are also a lot of Berries and Herbs that you can design a set around activating easily!​
For example, Mega Gyarados has historically run sets with Sub + DD, so why not run a Sitrus Berry (or a pinch berry if you really feel comfortable getting your HP low?) and activate your Ability yourself?​
and I know no one runs Chesto Rest any more, but like, you could consider that if eating a Chesto Berry also came with +25 Attack and +30 SpD and +10 Speed, right?​
There are also items that are very easy to proc on switch-in, like a Kee Berry, that could let you start your Mega at +1 Defense by coming in on a stray U-turn or something else that base Gyarados resists; a Kee Berry is usually pretty annoying to activate consistently and I've always been mad that Knock Off doesn't activate the effect, but Knock activates your Ability anyway, so no real loss if your main goal was the Mega anyway, you know?​
BUT ALSO one of the funniest things you could do is Swagger + Mirror Herb like Grafaiai runs, which lets you Mega Evolve and set a fake Swords Dance at the same time--​
... Okay I get that a lot of these are kind of gimmicky options and most people here would probably just run Sub + Sitrus or Misty Seed, but the point is that you can have fun with it okay--
If we ever get a VGC format (please!!! I would gladly code it myself if no one else will it would take like two minutes), it can also be handy to run things like White Herb to punish Intimidate drops with an instant Mega, especially since Gyarados is often used as a support Pokémon there.​
- Alternatively, Gyarados can play defensively without specifically planning to activate its Mega, maybe even with an item like Boots - Water/Flying is a really good type defensively, and base Gyarados's physical bulk is just as good as its Mega's, so you should have a lot of opportunities to come in.​
But the cool thing here is that Knock Off activates Violent Abandon (just like it activates Unburden in canon), which lets you absorb it safely and... immediately gain a Dark resistance and lose your Rock weakness, so you have way less to worry about! That lets you lose a lot less from the exchange than most Pokémon would, even if you didn't specifically plan on running the Mega at all.​

- A big part of the fun of an effect like this is the way it interacts with Acrobatics.
I like the idea of making Gyarados lose its Flying type but gain a usable Flying coverage move at the same time, since Gyarados has a long history of having technically-suboptimal Flying STAB but finding ways to use Flying moves anyway (apparently regular Bounce in Gen V, Z-Bounce in Gen VII, Max Airstream in Gen VIII and Tera Blast in Gen IX).
It's not exactly accurate to say that Gyarados is balanced around not having Flying moves, because it actually runs them very often! but it is balanced around having awkward ways to access it, so I thought it would be a neat dynamic to let it have one of the stronger Flying moves and a perfect excuse to run it, but only at the same time that it loses STAB.
- On a related note, Acrobatics draws a neat parallel to Roaring Moon, which contributes to my impression that this is exactly what Gen IX would do. P:​
In vanilla, Roaring Moon is a reinvention of Salamence that's designed after its Mega, and it's also given an Ability that strongly rewards running a consumable item (in its case, Booster Energy). This allows it to justify Acrobatics as a coverage move, which in turn pushes it to run Tera Flying a lot of the time in both OU and VGC - which is a really cool way to tie it back to its roots as a Salamence form! It's basically a mechanical incentive to get players to do something really flavorful, which I think was brilliant on Game Freak's part.​
The funny thing is that just like Gyarados, Salamence has historically had very limited access to Flying STAB at all, although the same isn't true of the Mega design that Roaring Moon was based on. Still, like Roaring Moon, this is a Mega-based form of Gyarados... that loses Flying STAB for Dark STAB... and it's already intended to run an item it can get rid of easily... so of course the Gen IX thing to do would be to give it Acrobatics, right?! I had to!​

- One other thing that I'm sure not every set will want to run but could be a really neat option is Gyarados's new signature move, Raging Torrent!
At a glance, Raging Torrent is basically like a Lunge in singles, or a much stronger Breaking Swipe in doubles; I really wanted to do something that could lower Attack because Gyarados's new Ability had to come at the expense of Intimidate, which was one of my favorite things about canon Gyarados. I think it's really important for Gyarados to have another consistent way to drop Attack in exchange for that, because I really like the extra layer of versatility that having a defensive Ability like Intimidate affords it, not to mention that it's especially important to the ways it can be used supportively in doubles.
- Being able to use a Lunge-style move in the middle of a sweep is also a very strong selling point compared to Intimidate, but it comes at sort of a weird cost: it inflicts Encore on the user, so it "can't" use Raging Torrent right away to make Dragon Dance easier to set up, it "can't" use Raging Torrent and then switch to another coverage type for the next switch-in, and it's probably put in a really awkward position if the opponent has something like a Lifeguard Dragonite on their team to prey on Water-type moves.​
Relying on Raging Torrent as your STAB may make your life easier defensively and buy you some extra chances to attack, but its drawback can be tricky to deal with, so the average sweeping set probably still wants to run Waterfall; you don't lose much by just ignoring this if it doesn't appeal to you.​
- So uh. Why would you run Raging Torrent?​
This is my take on sets like White Herb Close Combat/Leaf Storm, Power Herb Sky Attack, and similar sets sometimes run by Unburden users... and it's also your one-use pre-Mega Intimidate to ease setup.​
It adds a cool layer of synergy with Gyarados's Unburden-style Ability by making it the one Pokémon that can self-proc a held Mental Herb, letting you bypass its drawback once per battle and transform into Mega Gyarados at the same time!​
If this is the way you choose to activate Violent Abandon, you are stuck dealing with the self-Encore drawback the next time you use the move, so there's definitely a tradeoff to counting on it and I don't expect it to be run all the time. But I think it has a lot of potential as its own kind of Mega Gyarados set, and I love having that kind of optional-but-kinda-spicy extra layer baked into a Pokémon's design - I really wanted to do something like this so it would have a unique way to engage with its form-changing gimmick, just obviously without being so defining or so much more powerful than the next-best option that people would be roped into it if they felt more secure running Waterfall + Misty Seed or some other consumable item.​
- Also I would totally still run it in doubles and I think it's a cool twist on Breaking Swipe P: again I will make and play a doubles format of this any time so just say the word--​

- As a minor thing, introducing such a bulky Dark-type might be good for the metagame, with strong opponents like Alakazam and Gengar in mind, because Kanto is famously low on Dark-types and I'm allergic to retyping things so I will have no other occasion to submit one myself.

- Dumping a good amount of Mega Gyarados's BST into Special Attack also unlocks a lot of Gyarados's cool special options for non-Dragon Dance sets, including Scald to take advantage of its impressive bulk and some of its 110 BP coverage options like Hydro Pump, Hurricane, Thunder, Blizzard and Fire Blast.

- Lastly, I know it's probably kinda weird to introduce a "Mega" (whether we stick with that name or not) if we're talking about reimagining a Pokémon like Gyarados for Gen IX specifically, since obviously there are no Megas at all this Gen... but I want to make the case that it's definitely faithful to Gen IX's design philosophy to call back to old forms like Megas and Gigantamaxes!
Gen IX has already given us Roaring Moon and Iron Valiant, both of which are reimaginings of old Pokémon that are directly based on their Mega Evolutions. There's also the upcoming Dipplin, which similarly revives the design of G-Max Flapple and Appletun (and directly calls back to the mechanics of G-Max Flapple with its new signature Ability!) just to turn them into a new regular evolution of Applin with its own twists.
Recognizing the game-specific forms of Pokémon that are no longer available and just making something new out of them is something Gen IX has done more than any other game in the series, so I think it's wholly in the spirit of this mod to try to account for the existence of a Mega... just in this rare case where it also makes it possible to resemble Palafin more closely, which is the actual goal of the sub anyway!
- Note that this doesn't have to open any floodgates to allow other Mega-based subs in the future.​
The reason I feel that including Mega Gyarados is warranted here is because the Pokémon in the slate is Palafin, which not only has a permanent mid-battle 650-BST form change (even higher than Mega Gyarados) but is also the only Pokémon in Gen IX to have an in-battle form change, period!​
Since we're matching each old Pokémon to one new Pokémon, this is the only opportunity that will ever come up to create a form-changing Ability for any Pokémon, even though many other Pokémon from Kanto have established Megas and Gigantamaxes. This situation will never come up again! so you shouldn't have to worry about what kind of precedent it sets to allow this or anticipate people going wild with Megas in the future - only whether the sub is fine on its own merits.​
- If you're worried about the idea of Mega Gyarados specifically, or daunted by its raw BST, please be mindful of the various ways that this is weaker than vanilla Mega Gyarados!​
Notably, it dumps 30 points of Attack into SpA, loses access to both of its Abilities (pre-Mega Intimidate and post-Mega Mold Breaker), and isn't as easy to activate whenever you want as clicking a button - you do have to build a set around it and play a certain way just to have the chance to change form.​
Its base form is also noticeably much weaker than the original Gyarados (it loses a lot of Attack and some Speed, in exchange for Defense that only half-compensates for Intimidate and a tiny buff to Special Attack that it can't really use in that form), even while sticking to the same BST. And it, uh, loses Moxie which is big. P:​
Compared to an actually-broken Pokémon like Palafin, it also doesn't have any of the dramatically overpowered moves like Wave Crash or Jet Punch (or Drain Punch, pivoting... or the ability to run Leftovers or Band, for that matter!), which arguably all do even more heavy-lifting than its raw Attack stat.​
This also resembles Roaring Moon a bit conceptually, so I want to highlight that while its BST is also inflated somewhat artificially, with a large amount put into SpA (notice: if you took away 50 of its SpA, it would have both the same SpA and the same BST as Roaring Moon), it's a lot less optimized - its toolkit is much weaker, with no Ability (no Booster Energy sweeps), less Attack and way less Speed, no pivoting, and again no Choice Band access.​
It's still a strong Dragon Dance sweeper, obviously - it's Gyarados! It does Gyarados things! but I did try to show restraint and wanted to make sure to highlight that, since I'm aware it probably looks a bit excessive on the surface.​
and Mossy Sandwich with Tentacruel!
:ss/tentacruel:
Typing:

Abilities: Tropical Current
Custom Ability: If this Pokemon is burned, it restores 1/8 of its maximum HP, rounded down, at the end of each turn instead of losing HP. Ignores burn's attack drop.
Stats: 80 / 50 / 65 / 100 / 120 / 100
Movepool Changes:
+Dark Pulse, Foul Play, Nasty Plot​
-Scald​
Description: I have no idea what I'm doing! Tenta's main issues are issues with longevity and passivity, so I gave it a pheal clone to stay healthier and higher special attack and Nasty Plot to threaten stuff better. Aside from that, it's a cool spinner.
We will be going on hiatus because Regeneration AAA is now a thing, might develop resources and sample sets, not a promise. Thanks to all those who voted and submitted.

LOrd Fernado

I COULD BE BANNED!
Slate 9:
Perfectly Normal Slate
:sv/raticate::sv/kangaskhan::maushold::sv/farfetchd::squawkabilly:
This slate is a perfectly normal one and not at all confusing... Yea it actually is. So for this slate both Raticate and Kangaskhan will both share from Maushold, and Farfetch'd from Squawkabilly.

:raticate: (Maushold)
  • Must have ONE signature move (Like Population Bomb)
:kangaskhan: (Maushold)
  • Must have ONE signature move (Like Population Bomb)
:farfetchd: (Squawkabilly)
  • No Restrictions!
You have a week to complete: (22 / 9)
Glhf!

Last edited:
:sv/Raticate:
Pokemon: Raticate
Typing: Normal/Poison
Abilities:
Poison Touch/Hustle | Guts
Stats: 75/90/70/40/75/125 (475)
Movepool Changes: (Based on Gen 7 movepool, dunno if i have to go with BDSP movepool or Gen 7) +Gunk Shot, Poison Jab, Sludge Bomb, Sludge Wave, Sludge, Close Combat, Pest Spread
-Swords Dance, Stomping Tantrum, Sucker Punch, Pursuit, Zen Headbutt
Signature Move: Pest Spread
100BP | 100% Acc | 16 PP | Poison | Physical
If the opponent is hit by the move, they become the same type as the user
Description: Gets good Atk and a big Spd stat, as well as secondary Poison STAB, it doesnt have the best offensive type, but that is fixed by its signature move, which it can spam to make most mons that would switch on it neutral to Facade, which when STAB + Guts boosted hits like a truck, and combined with its speed, access to U-Turn, which it can use in conjunction to Pest Spread to switch in allies that take advantage of that type, as well as good coverage in Close Combat for Steel types, Crunch and Wild Charge, Taunt for utility, as well as since it has Guts, be a good status absorber, makes this an amazing Wallbreaker, balanced out by a bad defensive typing, horrible defenses, which in combined with the Burn chip, makes it hard to keep alive, and gets completely checked by any Steel type that can deal with CC

:sv/Farfetch
Pokemon: Farfetch'd
Typing:
Fighting/Flying
Abilities:
Inner Focus/Sharpness | Defiant
Stats: 85/105/90/40/95/79 (499)
Movepool Changes: +Sacred Sword, Bulk Up
-Swords Dance
Description: Offensive Pivot, Wallbreaker and Sweeper, it has decent bulk for an offensive mon, as well as a decent defensive type, it also has good attack, but balanced by a kinda low speed stat for an attacker, it also has good offensive abilities in Sharpness and Defiant, it can make good use of Sharpness with its access to Sacred Sword, Leaf Blade and Night Slash, or can use Defiant to protect itself against Intimidate users, it also has a way to boost its attack in Bulk Up, it also has access to good STABs in Close Combat and Brave Bird, good coverage in Leaf Blade, Night Slash, Knock Off, Poison Jab and Knock Off, healing in Roost, priority in First Impression and U-Turn to pivot around, balanced out by a mid stat spread, which doesnt make it too good in anything exept Atk

Last edited:
:sm/raticate: (:maushold:)
Counterpart: Maushold
Type:
Normal

Ability:
Run Away / Strong Jaw / Cheek Pouch
Stats: 97 / 99 / 85 / 60 / 72 / 104
Movepool Adjustments:
+Gnaw Away, Fire Fang, Ice Fang, Thunder Fang
Gnaw Away |
Normal
| Status | -- | -- | 16 | Clears hazards on the user's side. For each hazard cleared, the user is healed by 25% of their max HP.
Description: hazard control. gnaw away compresses both hazard removal and recovery into one slot, and mirrors maushold's tidy up. raticate gains strong jaw and the elemental fangs for a much needed power boost.

:sm/kangaskhan: (:maushold:)
Pokemon: Kangaskhan
Counterpart: Maushold
Type:
Normal
Dragon

Ability:
Early Bird / Bulletproof / Skill Link
Stats: 115 / 110 / 70 / 60 / 60 / 85
Movepool Adjustments:
+Family Onslaught, Dragon Tail, Dragon Claw, Draco Meteor, Dragon Dance, U-turn
Family Onslaught |
Normal
| Physical | 40 | 100 | 16 | Hits 2-4 times in one turn.
Description: skill link wallbreaker. family onslaught, with skill link, gives kang a reliable, strong normal stab move, while moves such as ddance and u-turn improve its overall utility.

:sm/farfetchd:(:squawkabilly:)
Counterpart: Squawkabilly
Type:
Normal
Flying

Ability:
Super Luck / Sniper / Defiant
Stats: 87 / 90 / 75 / 68 / 92 / 100
Movepool Adjustments:
+None
Description: crit attacker with leek. choose between super luck to always crit or sniper for increased damage 50% of the time. unfortunately, since it will be holding leek, farfetchd is susceptible to residual damage from rocks, and is immediately shut down from most status effects.

:sv/Farfetch
Typing: Normal / Fighting
Abilities: Hustle / Scrappy / Defiant
Stats: 75/100/80/60/75/90 [BST 480] (+23/+10/+25/+2/+13/+30 or +23/+5/+25/+2/+13/+35)
Movepool Changes:
+ Bulk Up, Sacred Sword
- Toxic
Description: Reasonable fast and strong Normal/Fighting Pokemon with Scrappy to clear through everything in its way. Note that I am using standard Farfetch'd as the baseline, I just prefer the Galarian form's design.

:sv/Kangaskhan:
Pokemon: Kangaskhan
Typing: Normal/Ground
Abilities: Inner Focus / Parental Bond / Queenly Majesty
Stats: 120/100/90/60/80/90 [BST 540] (+15/+5/+10/+20/+0/+0)
Movepool Changes:
+ Belly Drum, Bulk Up, Close Combat, Earth Power, Headlong Rush, High Horsepower, Lash Out, Play Rough, Stomping Tantrum, Wrath of Mom
- Disable, Power-Up Punch, Seismic Toss, Toxic, Wish
Signature Move: Wrath of Mom (Normal, Physical, 140 BP, 100% accuracy, 5 (8) PP. Cannot be used twice in a row. Flags: Contact)
Description: Mother knows best! This mom is back in action and won't take no for an answer. Also yes maybe she has learned a bit from Ursaluna but she isn't nearly as Guts-y, so it's probably fine.

:sv/Raticate-Alola:
Typing: Normal/Dark
Abilities: Gluttony / Guts / Stakeout
Stats: 80 / 90 / 70 / 50 / 80 / 110 [BST 480] (+25/+9/+10/+0/+10/+13 or +5/+18/+0/+10/+0/+33)
Movepool Changes:
+ Body Press, Bulk Up, Cheesy Bites, Dark Pulse, False Surrender, Jaw Lock, Knock Off, Lash Out, Play Rough, Pounce, Shadow Claw, Sludge Bomb, Sludge Wave, Snarl, Stuff Cheeks, Switcheroo, Tidy Up, Trailblaze
- Toxic
Signature Move: Cheesy Bites (Normal, Physical, 75 BP, 100% accuracy, 10 (16) PP. Heals the user for 50% of damage dealt, and consumes the target's held item if possible. Flags: Bite, Contact)
Description: Probably a good strong Guts user like the base form is used to, with a bit more bulk and Dark power like the Alolan form. Note that the Alolan form is just here as a visual representation, but it is the base form's moveset being referenced above.

Edited during the voting phase only because I forgot to note that Wrath of Mom should have the Contact flag.

Last edited:

ViZar

your toast is burned
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
:sv/raticate:
Name: Raticate
Stats: 85/101/80/60/80/127 (533)
Type:

Abilities: Strong Jaw / Guts / Moxie (HA)
Move Additions: Fake Out, Double Kick, Fire Fang, Ice Fang, Thunder Fang, Rat Plague
Move Removals: -
Name: Rat Plague
Power: 60
Accuracy: 90%
PP: 15/24
Category:

Type:

Effect: Traps and badly poisons the target.
Priority: 0
Flags: Contact, Bite, Protect, Mirror

Description: W.I.P.

:sv/kangaskhan:
Name: Kangaskhan
Stats: 105/105/80/40/80/90 (500)
Type:

Abilities: Early Bird / Scrappy / Inner Focus (HA)
Move Additions: Play Rough, Spirit Break, Milk Drink, Moonblast, Draining Kiss, Maternal Alliance
Name: Maternal Alliance
Power: 80
Accuracy: 100%
PP: 10/16
Category:

Type:

Effect: For each unevolved Pokemon in the party, hits again at 0.2x power.
Priority: 0
Flags: Contact, Protect, Mirror

:sv/farfetchd:
Name: Farfetch'd
Stats: 92/100/85/68/72/100 (517)
Type:

Abilities: Sharpness / Sniper / Defiant (HA)
Move Additions: Sacred Sword, Leech Seed, Wood Hammer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)