regarding the updating and editing of our dp analyses:

Roy

streetpkmn
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
it's that time of year again, scoopies. with the close and long anticipated release of the site around the corner, we need to try to make everything as clean and smooth as possible. that said, our dp analyses are looking a little outdated already and could really use some touching up on. chaos agreed on getting a group of us together to revise and clean them up. it would be much appreciated by our new users who are religiously following the analyses (as they should!)

reply if you're interested.

[00:58:27] <chaos|superprogramming> ok since people are going to go over pokemon analyses, could roy/mop make a topic in IS asking for other people

okay that means i'm in, jesus

chaos

is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
Owner
It'd... be a great one! lol

I bumped a few last night when making my first DP team. Blissey/Cresselia/Lucario all had some problems when I actlually tried to -use- the analyses. The first one didn't mention Wish at all for some reason, Cresselia lacked the standard set and definitive EVs, Lucario had unnecessary choices.

I don't mind helping out.

Do we wait till you guys say the group is formed and give us the OK, do we reply to the threads on the DP Analyses forum, or do we directly go to the SCMS and edit them?

Misty

oh
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I'd suggest replying to the threads in the DP analyses forum. Adding/deleting of sets is major business that I'd like discussed, and the analysis writer should be the one to update stuff.

Jumpman16

np: Michael Jackson - "Mon in the Mirror" (DW mix)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
i think that the issue here is much wider than can be solved with an "ill help", since most of the analyses, in my opinion, were written carefully and then cleaned up/proofread by primarily Misty, when he went through 90% of them on 7/14, and also people like Haze/Phuq/myself, since we started uploading these. I honestly think that if we "randomly", while eagerly, agree to update and edit the analyses without any real rhyme to our reason, we can end up changing things that were left the way they are intentionally, or edited once or twice or three times to the way they are intentionally. we could end up potentially worsening some of our analyses that have already been combed over several times by suggesting/questioning things that aren't/are in the analyses for a reason, if not "correctly".

of course, i am mainly bringing this up since i hate chaos and will basically oppose him whenever i can! but as far as one of his examples goes, i was in charge of blissey, and here is the word i've had about wish since the very first draft:

"Don't even think about Wish, as its legality is dubious and its use therefore in question on Competitor, and you will virtually never have the opportunity to obtain a legitimate one on Wifi."

this was our general stance on Wish when I wrote this. now, of course, the real question is whether this stance has changed in the last two months. I've heard both that "all natures are possible" and "only calm/modest/rash" are possible. are we just going to allow all natures after all? because that's obviously the reason wish is absent from any actual set, but it's not like i forgot about it. the same may go for lucario, whose "unnecessary" moves may be there for a reason (i havent checked but that isnt the point), but we wont know until we ask the original creator of the lucario analysis.

THEREFORE, i feel that this would work best if we actually follow the example chaos set — probably unintentionally — and actually QUESTION things in the analyses before changing them. this actually will give some purpose to our allowance of everyone with a badge to post in this forum (hardly any of the analyses have been bumped with questions/suggestions since then), and is, in my opinion, the best way to go about this, rather than just changing things that one person may feel is "wrong" with a given analysis.

haha "Post Quick Reply" would you guys believe me if i said i used that 99% of the time =/

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
"Don't even think about Wish, as its legality is dubious and its use therefore in question on Competitor, and you will virtually never have the opportunity to obtain a legitimate one on Wifi."
There's no doubt about it's legality. The "not all nature are possible, only calm and modest" was complete bullshit spouted by ET and quickly disproved by Gold Ursaring, who knows just about everything about every event pokemon ever. So yes, please, include Wish already. It will be in competitor, there is no doubt about it.

As far as changing things that were left the way they are intentionally for some reason, if that happens the person who did that obviously did not do a good job explaining why they left it that way...

Jumpman16

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
...then it is a question of bringing it to the person's attention rather than just up and editing it to what person 2 thinks is "right". That's pretty much all I'm saying

Jumpman16

ok you guys, we need to 100% make sure that whatever is edited goes into the SCMS directly. editing the stuff in the DP Analysis forum isn't going to get it done if the SCMS isn't directly updated itself. we all need to make sure that we're not inadvertently making extra work for ourselves in this manner.

i would actually propose checking the actual SCMS itself first because nine times out of 10 that has been updated where the corresponding DP Analyses thread has not. i would appreciate it if everyone on the team would indicate that they have read this post.

Misty

oh
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
It's mostly my fault that that's the case (I edited a ton of SCMS analyses without touching the forum), but read :O

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)