Gen 1 RBY UU Team

https://pokepast.es/607866a396c74e98
  • I based the team entirely around Tentacruel, as it's a top threat due to the mechanics of Wrap in this generation. Surf and Blizzard are good coverage moves and Reflect is to keep Tentacruel on the field, in case a switch is being read.

• Due to Hypno being banned from UU recently, I decided to use its main competitor, Kadabra, as it has the strongest Psychic and is the strongest, fastest check to opposing Tentacruels.

• Haunter, despite sleep being banned, I feel is still necessary to the team due to the normal immunity. Thunderbolt for a good special move with the chance for paralysis, Confuse Ray as a replacement for Hypnosis, and Night Shade for Special Tanks. Explosion for when I need a quick KO.

• Kangaskhan rounds out this so far Special Atk/Def oriented team thus far. I put a focus on moves that have paralysis on each of my team members to help with Wrap. Earthquake to check electric types that should go for Tentacruel and Vaporeon, as well as Rock Slide in case of Dodrio and Articuno. Hyper Beam to finish off or revenge.

• Vaporeon is also for bulk, with Acid Armor and Rest to keep it on the field for longer.

• Tangela is another option for Wrap, being bulky and can use Stun Spore to paralyze Dugtrio and other normal types where Thunder Wave and Body Slam would fail respectively. Mega Drain and Growth to keep it in the field longer.

Last edited by a moderator:

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
RMT Leader
Hi reelSonder , welcome to Smogon! I am locking your RMT for the time being as the forum rules require that you provide at least three lines of descriptions for each Pokemon to explain their roles. Please read the rules carefully and look at Team Showcase to see the detail we require. PM me with updated descriptions, and I will be happy to unlock this. Also, feel free to PM me if you need help or have any question. Have a nice day!

To PM someone on Smogon, go over their name on any of their post. It will display a little pop-up with a summary of their profile. Then, hit the "Start conversation" button and you will be able to write a PM just like you write a regular thread.

Why did you choose this Pokemon?
What do the EV spreads do and why do you have it?
What are all 4 moves for?

•Lead Tentacruel is decent, its whole premise is outspeeding and threatening big damage on leads such as Dragonite, with Wrap to pivot out of bad MUs, although it tends to be very hit or miss, as if it misses your entire team can fall apart if if Tentacruel gets paralyzed or the like, though that Tentacruel set is completely unusable, as A) Tentacruel isnt getting any free turns at all to set up Reflect, and B) it lacks Rest, which means if you take any damage or paralysis whatsoever, it is permanent. You need to replace Reflect with Rest on Tentacruel to make this work.
•Once again with the Relfect shenanigans, Reflect on Kadabra is also completely unviable, as one crit from really any physical attack can spell the end of it, it doesnt get any free turns to set Reflect up, and it can still be paralyzed by Body Slam from the likes of Dewgong. Omastar, Vaporeon, etc. Only having 1 attacking move can also prove to be detrimental for you if you run out of PP. I recommend you replace Psychic with Seismic Toss to have much more PP to attack with, and for consistent damage.
•Rock Slide on Kangaskan is usable, but its outclassed by Counter as a better 4th move option, as it can let you deal back double the damage to opposing Kangaskan, Dodrio and Persians STAB Normal type attacks. Articuno isnt ever going to be switching in on you, and in a 1vs1 Rock Slide wont OHKO it without a crit, Body Slam can also paralyze the opposing Articuno, which lets you outspeed it and gives you another free turn to attack it before your KOed.
•Like always, Vaporeon is sitting here wondering why its not a Dewgong, yes it has Acid Armour, but it hits less hard than Dewgong due to a lack of STAB Blizzard, and it can also potentially be frozen by Articuno's Blizzard, while Dewgong cant be frozen. This Vaporeon also struggles greaty vs Tentacruel, Dewgong, and other Vaporeon due to it lacking Body Slam to paralyze them and hit them for neutral damage, I recommend you replace Vaporeon with a Dewgong to better wall and hit harder with STAB Blizzard, as without it, this team melts to Articuno.
•Dugtrio is not staying in on a Tangela, so you are not going to get the opportunity to paralyze it with Stun Spore, Mega Drain is also not going to keep you on the field for longer. As the health recovery is minimal. This Tangela also lacks Bind, which means it cant pivot out of bad matchups. The main way to take down Dugtrio also isnt to paralyze it, its to take advantage of its frailty and lack of recovery and try to KO it by battering it with attacks. Growth is not going to work well as you will need to switch out infront of Tentacruel, who takes next to nothing from Mega Drain, chokes you with Wrap, and has Blizzard, or anything else that has coverage or STAB Blizzard. Stun Spore can also miss, while TWave cant. I recommend you replace Tangela with Dragonite, who is faster, has TWave over Stun Spore, the higher accuracy Wrap, and Blizzard to 2HKO Dugtrio, while Tangela's STAB Mega Drain is a pitiful 3HKO on Dugtrio.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)