Resource RBY Simple Questions & Simple Answers Thread

Hello again!
I guess I found out an error on Pokémon Showdown RBY.
I was searching about Clefairy/Clefable move set and noted it can learn Amnesia via transfering of other generation
But when I look on Showdown, it's show as Clefable can't learn Amnesia.

If Showdown have pokemons who have moves very hard to obtain (as Surf Pikachu)
Why don't have Amnesia Clefable who isn't that harder to do?

Transferring from gen 2 to 1 is not allowed in most formats. This is called tradebacks and is its own separate meta.
Is possible to play somewhere this meta with moves of transfer of other generation?
Surf Pikachu is a gen 1 thing, no transferring from gen 2 required. It's also not even that hard to obtain legitimately.
Since it's a simples question thread, how can I get a surf pikachu by the way?
When I played Yellow I used a cheat on early game to teach surf to Pikachu.

There's a teambuilder format called Tradebacks OU. There's no ladder for it so you'll have to find other people to play with
Oh, I founded it, thanks ;)
Now I'm wonder where can I find poké advices about this meta?
Despite of Amnesia Clefable, I just can think to use Alakazam with the 3 elemental punchs.
What more could be broken in this tier?
This sounds right from my memory
Yeah, it need a N64 in order to get this surf pikachu, what is totally impossible to me who play on emulator on cell phone.

Teh

the saint
is a Pre-Contributor
Shedinja-43152 You can check out the Tradebacks OU Hub and read the most recent posts to get a general idea of the meta.

The most significant changes are:
  • Persian and Snorlax getting Hypnosis and Lovely Kiss respectively, adding 2 sleep-inducers that benefit from paralyzed mons rather than being walled.
  • Alakazam gets Ice Punch and Thunder Punch, which are niche options that you can use over Seismic Toss in specific scenarios (Ice Punch possibly as a lead)
  • Gengar getting Ice Punch to smack Rhydon and Exeggutor in the same set.
  • Hypno getting Amnesia and the elemental punches. Generally it can't afford to run both at the same time without sacrificing Thunder Wave or Hypnosis.
  • Jolteon and Vaporeon get Growth i guess
  • There are also a bunch of other mons that get sleep moves, like Nidoking and Rapidash
This article goes over the meta in more detail, but it's a tad outdated. I would recommend looking at the more recent viability rankings from players.

Very cool this tier, I would like to play for sure
But I noted some of these moves, as Lovely Kiss Snorlax, is only avaiable via Nintendo distribution at New York.
Do you know some cheat I can use to have these kind of Pokémon at my cellphone emulator?
I can't use PkHex in gen1 e 2 games :(

Hello to all!
I was exploiting the X Accuracy + Guillotine with my Pinsir versus the Lance
And noted the Aerodactyl is imune to Guillotine, I would like to ask why?

Why doesn't there seem to be any metagame development in the pokemon perfect tiers i hear so much they become melted into my psyche? like rhydon being 2u by now should probably be causing some issues.

Teh

the saint
is a Pre-Contributor
Why doesn't there seem to be any metagame development in the pokemon perfect tiers i hear so much they become melted into my psyche? like rhydon being 2u by now should probably be causing some issues.
Pokémon Perfect has been dead for years now. They still host tournaments occasionally but they're only for Smogon tiers. 7U is the only format that's played regularly but it was created by people on Smogon and is unofficial. I'm sure there would be people interested in playing PP tiers in the RBY Discord server.

Sevi 7

Semi-retired
Rhydon was 2U in 2017, but in 2018 it was moved back up to 1U. So, it’s not legal even if you use the PP tiers.

With that said, Pokémon Perfect kept all the 2U legacy stuff, for if people really wanted to play that meta. But, to be honest Rhydon isn’t going to have any real impact. Golem is legal in Smogon’s UU now (which is pretty similar to PP’s 2U) and it’s basically irrelevant. In theory, Golem can use its Rock typing for pivoting against Normal attacks, hit hard with STAB Earthquake/Rock Slide, and/or Explode. However, UU/2U is a fast tier with powerful special attacks, and Golem is a slow, special weak mon. It’s hard to use those good traits when you get OHKOed or 2HKOed by a large chunk of the tier and are slower than basically everything. It’s fun to think about OU mons being in UU, but unfortunately Rhydon really isn’t going to be doing anything there.

rby ou is 25 years old at this point since gen 1 released in the us. I wanna know the history of the u.s. metagame specifically what was rby ou like on release through gen 3, what was the metagame during this early period and what were the threats back then you wouldn't be caught dead using. 1998-2005 is the time frame i'm talking about before gen 4 opened people's eyes to things being broken.

Teh

the saint
is a Pre-Contributor
rby ou is 25 years old at this point since gen 1 released in the us. I wanna know the history of the u.s. metagame specifically what was rby ou like on release through gen 3, what was the metagame during this early period and what were the threats back then you wouldn't be caught dead using. 1998-2005 is the time frame i'm talking about before gen 4 opened people's eyes to things being broken.
May not be exactly what you're looking for, but you can check out the Azure Heights forum, which was one of the first RBY forums. It has posts dating back to early 2001.
Plague von Karma also made a pretty good video on Nintendo Cup 1998, which was the precursor to VGC. She also has a lot of other videos on RBY lore in general.

Is it worth building a team around Golem in OU anymore. I get that Golem is entirely outclassed by Rhydon but explosion seems to be such a great move. Am I wrong in thinking that I feel like Golem could totally work as a wall breaker because it still has great stats just not as good as Rhydons.

Is it worth building a team around Golem in OU anymore. I get that Golem is entirely outclassed by Rhydon but explosion seems to be such a great move. Am I wrong in thinking that I feel like Golem could totally work as a wall breaker because it still has great stats just not as good as Rhydons.
Unlike Rhydon, Golem offers Explosion, which allows it to function as a wall breaker. However, to answer your question you first need to answer another one, which wall do you want to break with Golem Explosion?

Eve

taking a break
is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Community Leader
Hello I have a question regarding critical hits:

The formula for critical hit rate is simplified down to ((base speed/2)/256)

For starmie this produces ~22.4609375%, which matches what every crit resource says. However, this is equal to (57.5/256). The game can only roll an integer between 0 and 255, meaning a crit rate with a decimal numerator out of 256 is nonsense. How is this handled? Is it rounded down to 57/256? (meaning mie crit rate is lower than what EVERY SINGLE CRIT RATE TABLE SAYS AT 22.265625% INSTEAD) Does the game do something completely different to actually give the ~22.46%?
In rby, the result of any calculation is floored (rounded down to the nearest whole number) as the game can't store decimal values. As such, (base speed / 2) -> floor(115 / 2) = floor(57.5) = 57. This value is then compared against a randomly selected number between 0 and 255- if the random number is lower, which it will be in 57/256 cases, then the move crits. tldr it's 57/256 and the tables you're looking at are wrong

edit: here's a source backing up my logic

Last edited:
A few things that for whatever reason are on my mind

1) Mirror Move is a "flying" type move. Does that mean the user always gets stab ? For instance, Starmie uses thunderbolt against Fearow, Fearow uses mirror move, uses thunderbolt, does Fearow get stab thunderbolt ?
2) Related, does mirror move always use the users attack stat (Since it's a flying type move) ?

I have been playing with Golem quite a bit, and while it certainly isn't as great as it use it be, its perfectly fine. With my current bog standard team I have only regretted not using Rhydon once to get better damage ranges on Reflect-Snorlax. If you can deal with Reflect-Snorlax, you should be fine.

Golem is simply sub-optimal.

Sevi 7

Semi-retired
Anyone got any good Slowbro teams? I want to mess around with it, but I am only seeing one Slowbro team option in the sample team thread.
The team Melbelle described is going to be a more competitive one. But this team might be a little more fun. It trying to set-up slowbro sweeps through wall breaking with Explosion. Sometimes players looking to try Slowbro are looking to sweep, so maybe this might be something you’re interested in.

The team Melbelle described is going to be a more competitive one. But this team might be a little more fun. It trying to set-up slowbro sweeps through wall breaking with Explosion. Sometimes players looking to try Slowbro are looking to sweep, so maybe this might be something you’re interested in.
Thanks, this is a lot more my speed. Still getting use to the new Post-Body Slam paralysis meta. Reflect Snorlax mirror matches aren't the RBY I am use to.

Short answer is that no format of competitive pokemon has ever supported glitch pokemon.

Glitch pokemon are also the kind of thing that you can't really allow if you're playing on cartridge due to many glitch pokemon having the potential to literally break the game

In a hypothetical tier where glitch pokemon are the only option, which ones would be viable, which ones would be garbage (like yellow ver. MissingNo.), and which ones would be banned? (Disregarding game breaking stuff like 4 4's front sprite, and super glitch moves).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)