VGC Rayquaza team NOW BROKEN THRU TO 1400 WOO

Original Title: Rayquaza team in dire need of trying to break thru 1300
*now no longer in 1400 waaaaaa*

INTRODUCTION

I'm not a huuuuge VGC 2021 guy, I only got back to it the other day, but I've been sucked back once again. However, things weren't looking too well when I discovered that hmm people weren't too fond of my favourite Pokemon of all time, Rayquaza, as one of the usable Ubers. Wolfey ranked it D tier alongside Giratina (another favourite I would LOVE to use), Eternatus (I forgot this mon existed too) and Base Form Kyurem.

You know a Pokemon's not doing too good if its getting compared to Base Form Kyurem.
1614938729506.png

But hey, I go cray cray for Rayquayquay, I ride for my boi, and for that, I'd gladly slink to the depths of 1300+ if it means I can mess with them. That said, I would like to ascend, like Rayquaza's signature move, to the higher rankings if it could be helped at all. I'll detail the issues I've ran into with using them so far (played about 10-15 games across the teams I've tested, which I know isn't a lot but when you see certain issues a certain number of times it becomes clear that you should probably fix something), but also how I feel Rayquaza does well and fits into the meta overall. Lets go!

THE TEAMS (What I done tested)

1614939139715.png

SO to start at the bottom, I started out playing around with Rayquaza with a Specs on it, running Draco, Hurricane, Hydro Pump and E-Speed to catch out faster mons, maybe some Pranksters etc. Looking across the Ubers, there are certain mons like Reshiram and Eternatus that can match Rayquaza in Sp Atk, and Eternatus outstrips Rayquaza in speed. I *could* go mad with a Physical based set, but with the Intimidate and burn running around with the Tiger Gief going around, it seems like its better to have an Uber with Sp Atk. However, I found pretty quick that Specs Quaza was NOT the way to go, since none of Rayquaza's moves are quite spammable enough to lock it into and switching to reset the lock is much harder in a meta with tons of Ubers that can kill at a moments notice. I've since switched up to an Assault Vest set we'll look more into later, but thats on that.

Onto the other lost changes on the team; The first drop from the first team was Volcarona. I thought Rona would be good to slap Zacian-C around a bit (seeing that Wolfey ranked it no. 1 in the meta), and it could possibly hit a couple of the other Steel/Ice/Grass based Pokemon like Solgaleo, opposing Metagross, Caly-Ice and Amoonguss. Rage Powder redirection could also help take heat off of its partner, Overheat was (supposed to) melt the above Pokemon, and Struggle Bug lowers Sp Atk. However, I found myself bringing it into games less and less, and in the games I DID bring it in, 252 Sp Atk Overheat did NOT kill the Caly-Ice or Solgaleos I thought it would, due to Dynamax increasing their HP and their stats boosting their defenses in the afterglow. So I dropped Volc after a short run, even though they're one of my favourite Bug types and Fire types ever, and I think there's untapped potential for it in VGC, but we shall see.

The most painful drop, that I'm still not sure is the best move (please roast me for it if it is) was Magnet Regieleki. Funny electric Reg, named it MY BODY IS, and is definitely the Kyogre killer, alongside Speed control and the electric pain it brings with it is incredible. I had a few strong games with it, but running into a consistent amount of Caly-Ice based Trick Room teams exposed just how bad my team is against them. I sat down, thought long and hard about it, and decided after much painful deliberation, that the ability smack Kyogre around was NOT worth losing to a large chunk of Trick Room teams. However, this is probably the most regretful drop, and in all likelyhood I'll probably bring it back, but for now I think I'm going to keep around other mons that I think can work better in Trick Room situations.

And with that, a final moment of silence for our lost brethren (RIP Regi I might bring you back *cries*), we shall move on to the team proper!

RAYQUAZA TEAM (TEST VERSION 3.0)
1614942448266.png

Silk Sonic (Rayquaza) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Air Lock
Level: 50
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 212 SpD / 36 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hurricane
- Draco Meteor
- Earth Power
- Flamethrower

The main focus of this team. Rayquaza, for all its offensive strength, for all its insane power, is running an Assault Vest and relying on bulk and good coverage to fish for super effective hits. The main thing thats good here is obviously the Max Moves you get with coverage, Max flying boosts speed, Max Quake boosts SpDef, and I've been in situations where Max Resonance from Lapras only manages a mere 26% after just one Quake boost. Max Drake can also help survivability and Max Flare hits for weakness. Out of Max tho, it relies entirely on specific matchups. It can pick off squishier mons pretty easy, but obviously its main issue is that it can't deal with its Uber brethren that well, at least the ones that are popular. Air Lock shenanigans is funny to shut down Groudon sun and Kyogre's rain, and since max moves summon weather too it can be useful to mitigate that, but it doesn't stop it dying to getting chunked and dunked by Ice Beam from Kyogre or anything of the like. Also, with Dynamax in the mix, 150 base Sp Atk can't manage to pick up the kills against mons that decide to E X P A N D. More and more nowadays, as powerful as Offense is, being able to bulk thru more hits is valued wayy higher, and while this Rayquaza can do that, it has to pick between smashing thru with strong attacks OR bulking and hitting with only as much power that it can muster without boosts, whereas something like a Kyogre can bulk AND hit hard with Water attacks that take damage from almost anything.

Still tho, I'm really hoping Rayquaza gets better in future; I don't know HOW you make this Pokemon better, I just hope it does.

1614943662398.png

Akira (Urshifu) @ Choice Band
Ability: Unseen Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Sucker Punch
- Wicked Blow
- Ice Punch

Funny enough, in a prototype version of this team where I only put down 2 Pokemon and then stopped, Urshifu SSS was the other Pokemon I paired with Rayquaza. Smashing through walls with strong attack and coverage, and of course, the matching colors, the original couple I used had a physical SD Rayquaza paired with it so Urshifu would slap the Steel and Rock types that resisted the Normal/Flying coverage that Rayquaza brought. Now, it still does the same, cuz I'm still scared of Caly-Ice, Solgaleo and the Necrozma forms, and lots of Ice, Rock and Normal types especially that just need a good kick to the head. Not only that but Wicked Blow just... Slaps. Its the Mo Bamba of moves. It Just never not slaps.

1614944233903.png

ROSS (Metagross) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Clear Body
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 140 HP / 196 Atk / 172 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Protect

OKOKOK I KNOW AERODACTYL COMES FIRST but I want to talk about Metagross for a bit; as the alternative win-con to Rayquaza, it is a pretty important part of this team. To be honest I use Metagross as the win con way more than Rayquaza, which is kind of the issue, but still, happy its here. Its pretty much the best answer this team has to things like Zacian and Caly-Ice, and anything else of that kind. Obviously this is just the usual Metagross, weakness policy yada yada yada, and to couple with this we need a good Bulldozer for speed control and what have you, and with that traaaaaaaaaaan...

1614944499115.png

Ayr (Aerodactyl) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Tailwind
- Rock Slide
- Bulldoze
- Wide Guard

...SITION.

Ok.

Look.

Look at me.

I know this is a Rayquaza team.

But holy smokes, Aerodactyl has legitimately saved my ass so many times, I love this Pokemon now, wow I wish I knew how funny this mon is now.

Fast Tailwind obviously is pretty good, not as strong as the Prankster Tailwind you get with Tornadus, but still really good. Having the fastest STAB Rock Slide in the West is pretty good especially since its also pretty strong, and of course the Bulldoze for more speed control and to work the Weakness Policy on Metagross, it can also do some pretty interesting stuff with Rayquaza since it blanks the flying black noodle.

HOWEVER. WIDE. GUARD. OH. MY . GOD.

I used Aero cuz I thought fast Bulldoze with Tailwind support would be really nice, but I NEVER would have imagined how INSANE Wide Guard would be on Aero. Since its a pretty frail mon thats fast and has good offense, most people NEVER see the Wide Guard coming, and in the current meta with Eruptions, Water Spouts, Electrowebs, Rock Slides and Blizzards galore, being able to just say screw it and throw the guard up, allowing a free turn for your partner sometimes, it is so good. SO SO good. Being able to predict and play around your opponent with it is so funny, and its just such a hype moment when you get it. Like I just pop off from my chair every time it happens and I love it.

if theres any takeaway today USE AERODACTYL I LOVE THIS BOI!!!

1614945054236.png

Zangief (Incineroar) (M) @ Aguav Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 124 Def / 132 SpD
Careful Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Parting Shot
- Fake Out
- Flare Blitz

Its Incineroar. It supports, it burns Physical threats, it Shoots Partingly, it Fakes Out, it Blitzes and Flares, what more do you need in a mon. Good for dealing with Caly-Ice (as most things here do), Zacian and any good physical threat. This mon needs no introduction and no explanation, its just wayy too good for that.

1614945333081.png

Meowstic (M) @ Mental Herb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Imprison
- Reflect
- Trick Room
- Psychic

A Pokemon that MIGHT need some introduction is DEFINITELY Meowstic. Its another spin on the Shirogane set I ran on my Kaguya-sama SunRoom team, and I thought it would be good to have Imprison TR to stop Trick Room shenanigans altogether. I MIGHT replace the Pyschic on this mon for Fake Out, but I was scared of the All My Friends Are Dead syndrome that brings with it. Reflect is the main thing I'm having to deal with Grimmsnarl stopping our physical offenses (having to deal with that with a mostly physical team is a pain holy CRAP) but yeah, Fake Out maybe? Idk.

CONCLUSION

Using this team I now realise why Rayquaza is just not that great this time around. Despite the fact it's my Uber, its just too situational to thrive in most cases. It can do well given the right Pokemon it can fight against, and Weather based teams have something to worry about with it around, but I *could* just run a better Uber and just do a lot better. Hell, I'm pretty sure I could use Salamence and find more use with the double Intimidate cycling with Incineroar. I am an idealist though, and hope, HOPE AGAINST ALL HOPE, that someone, ANYONE OUT THERE WITH MORE BRAIN THAN I, could help me and my favourite mon to win.

Also, again, AERODACTYL

USE AERODACTYL NOW THIS MON IS HILARIOUS!

Pokepaste can be found here: https://pokepast.es/3b7a2cc5908e51ed

THANK YOU FOR READING!!!

Last edited:

Giokio

#1 Nia simp
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I tried to write something for a while now, but i can't find any way to make Ray viable, i'll suggest some partners that it might like alongside it.

:Thundurus:
Prankster Thundurus can be useful to slow down opponens with Scary Face or Thunder Wave. With Eerie Impulse it can shut down Lapras's Resonances if you menage to take out Raichu, and if you run Lum Berry on Ray you can even use Swagger, a niche strat that might work for a Physical Ray.

:Hitmontop:
Can cripple Calyrex-I with his Intimidate and protect Ray from Glacial Lance with Wide Guard, while also providing a valuable Fake Out and a Useful Fighting STAB.

:Regieleki:
I prefer to place Screens with Regieki, because it provides pivoting support with volt switch and can deal a huge amount of damage to Kyogre, there's really no reason to play Meowstic.

Hope this gives you some ideas, i'd like to see Rayquaza come back, in the meantime i'll go back in Ultra Series with Mega Ray.

P.S. I'll try out Aerodactyl, maybe it really isn't a bad mon

I tried to write something for a while now, but i can't find any way to make Ray viable, i'll suggest some partners that it might like alongside it.

:Thundurus:
Prankster Thundurus can be useful to slow down opponens with Scary Face or Thunder Wave. With Eerie Impulse it can shut down Lapras's Resonances if you menage to take out Raichu, and if you run Lum Berry on Ray you can even use Swagger, a niche strat that might work for a Physical Ray.

:Hitmontop:
Can cripple Calyrex-I with his Intimidate and protect Ray from Glacial Lance with Wide Guard, while also providing a valuable Fake Out and a Useful Fighting STAB.

:Regieleki:
I prefer to place Screens with Regieki, because it provides pivoting support with volt switch and can deal a huge amount of damage to Kyogre, there's really no reason to play Meowstic.

Hope this gives you some ideas, i'd like to see Rayquaza come back, in the meantime i'll go back in Ultra Series with Mega Ray.

P.S. I'll try out Aerodactyl, maybe it really isn't a bad mon
YES

ONE OF US

AERODACTYL GANG

Also yeah I'm probably going to like having Regieleki back, and Prankster Thund's utility is an interesting facet I might explore.

Hitmontop I might try it over Incineroar, I know Wolfey used it in 2016 (or 2017?) alongside Mega Rayquaza.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)