Rate my team for the VGC 2011!

Admiral Kuzan

formerly MavsObbession
Hey guys I'm new here and I'm moving from Junior Division to Senior Division. I got top 16 at the Dallas Regionals. :) About me: I love the Lakers, and I hope the Mavs will win the NBA Finals!

Mienshao w/Focus Sash
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Inner Focus
4HP/252Atk/252Spe
Fake Out
Drain Punch
U-Turn
Rock Slide

Mienshao is my physical sweeper with Fake Out to deal with TR teams along with Thundurus' Taunt. Hi Jump Kick is a VERY powerful STAB move along with Mienshao's high attack, U-Turn is for hitting types it is weak against while returning to me for safety. Stone Edge is for pesky Flying types and other types of Pokemon.

EDIT: I've found that Drain Punch is pretty powerful with STAB, while getting 50% of HP of the damage given. Rock Slide is also useful for its range, but I might switch back to Stone Edge if I find there are a lot of Wide Guard users.

Thundurus w/Damp Rock
Nature: Timid
Ability: Prankster
4HP/252SpAtk/252Spe
Rain Dance
Thunder
Psychic
Taunt

I chose Thundurus over Tornadus because Tornadus has more weaknesses against other types. Taunt shuts down TR and Rain Dance powers up Hydreigon's Surf and Jellicent's Surf and Water Spout. Psychic can deal with common leads like Terrakion, Amoonguss, and Mienshao.

Hydreigon w/White Herb
Nature: Modest
Ability: Levitate
4HP/252SpAtk/252Spe
Draco Meteor
Surf
Earth Power
Dragon Pulse

Hydreigon is my special sweeper with the ability to OHKO twice with Draco Meteor STAB with White Herb. Surf is powered up with Rain Dance and when paired up with Jellicent, causes major problems for the opponent. Earth Power can be super effective against more than 5 types, and Dragon Pulse is basically my main dragon STAB.

Jellicent w/Water Gem
Nature: Modest
Ability: Water Absorb
252HP/252SpAtk/4SpDef
Water Spout
Ice Beam
Surf
Shadow Ball

Jellicent is yet another special sweeper, and with high HP it is hard to kill. Water Spout is a STAB powered by Rain Dance making it extremely powerful. Surf is a powerful STAB move, and Ice Beam takes care of Amoonguss, Terrakion, and other common leads.

BACKUPS

Haxorus w/ Life Orb
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Mold Breaker
4HP/252Atk/252Spd
Brick Break
Dragon Claw
Earthquake
Protect

Haxorus has the highest attack out of all Unova Pokemon making it a very strong physical sweeper. Brick Break takes care of Ice types that can OHKO it, and Dragon Claw is a pretty good STAB move. Earthquake hits many different types of Pokemon hard, and Protect is basically needed.

Krookodile w/ Choice Scarf (not sure about using this guy, need tips)
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Intimidate
4HP/252Atk/252Spd
Earthquake
Dragon Claw or Outrage
Crunch
Rock Slide

Krookodile has a pretty high attack making Earthquake a very powerful STAB move. Crunch takes care of common TR users like Chandelure and Reuniculus because Crunch is a STAB move that is super effective to those types. Dragon Claw or Outrage lets Krookodile go toe-to-toe with Dragons and other types. Choice Scarf is for Krookodile to finish off the match. Though, I might not use him that much.

Krookodile wants Choice Scarf. It really wants Choice Scarf. I'm saying this out of experience, as I successfully use an Intimidate Krook on my team. It locks it in on one move, but with the rest of your team being successful sweepers you only really need the one quick hit to help finish it. If so, replace Protect with Rock Slide, which hits alot this VGC.

HJK does godly damage, but if it misses, goodbye Mienshao. Drain Punch = recovery, but the drop in power in noticable. Since these matches are lightning quick, go with HJK. If you find that you hate its missing rate, switch to Drain.

Rockslide > stone edge on mienshao
Drain punch > hi jump kick on mienshao
Dragon claw > outrage on haxorus
You might consider running thundurus with substitute for stalling tr teams, and its better than protect because if you don't get attacked that turn you have a free protect and move next turn.

Overall fairly good team, although using choice items in the vgc is a bit risky, I wouldn't do it.

What should replace HJK? Drain Punch?
Yep.

Rockslide > stone edge on mienshao
Drain punch > hi jump kick on mienshao
Dragon claw > outrage on haxorus
Are you saying "Rock Slide is (greater than) Stone Edge" or "Go from Rock Slide to Stone Edge?" Because all of the former ones in that list are the better choices.

Yep.

Are you saying "Rock Slide is (greater than) Stone Edge" or "Go from Rock Slide to Stone Edge?" Because all of the former ones in that list are the better choices.
Lol yeah I guess that was a weird way of saying it.
I'm saying rock slide, drain punch, and dragon claw are better to use.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)